• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon: Delta Mission

Glitchfinder

Let's all get along, please?
Years
  • Pokémon: Delta Mission *Looking for Suggestions!*

Pokémon: Delta Mission
    Created in: RPG Maker XP

Introduction:

This is my first real project in quite a while, and it is mostly due to the efforts of a friend of mine. At any rate, this project, from my perspective, is an opportunity to expand my scripting skills, and to exercise my abilities. It also serves as a change of pace. At this point, the project remains as a concept only, due to the time constraints on my friend, and the fact that instead of using Poccil's Pokémon Essentials, I am building my own Pokémon game from scratch. (To be honest, it is because I abhor the sheer lack or professionalism apparent in Poccil's code. Anybody who knows even a bit about how to properly format and clean scripts should be able to see what I mean) This project will involve a significant redefinition of several core values of the Pokémon game series, but, for my friend and I, it will be worth it.

The Holon Region:

This game takes place in the semi-official Holon Region, which has only been seen or heard of in a few Pokémon TCG sets. Little is known about the region, save the fact that there is a large lake to the south, surrounded by mountains, an interesting feature in the lake, the only city (also names Holon) is within a large forest, and there are some intriguing islands in the ocean to the north of the region. Due to the fact that so little is known, we will be forced to design a region from scratch, that matches that description. Please note that due to some game features that will be listed below, the Holon Region, as seen in this game, will be significantly larger than most regions in Pokémon, and the maps will be mostly free of the tunnel-like focus found in official games.

Background:

The Holon Region has remained untouched by the hands of man for aeons. The land was bountiful, the water pure, and the air fresh. The Pokémon in this region led a good life, uninterrupted by the hassle of trainers and other humans that Pokémon elsewhere faced on a day-to-day basis.

Unfortunately, that could not last. Humans came to Holon, and soon they had a thriving community in the forest. These humans were not here to settle, however. Instead, they were searching for something. Something so rare, few have ever seen it, and many think it only a myth. They were searching for Mew.

Mew was in the Holon Region, and these people knew it. They built a tower, a tower that utilized the unique properties of the area to track mew. Unfortunately, the tower had an unintended side effect. Pokémon in the region began to mutate, to display elemental affinities that they have never had before. The most prominent of these new elements was the Steel type, which seemed to be shared by many of the most powerful of these new Pokémon. Soon, they were passing these new traits on to their offspring, and Holon was forever altered.

Storyline/Plot:

You are a young trainer, tasked with exploring the Holon Region. You are to catalog the new Pokémon, and to bring what you can back to the city of Holon. Along the way, you will find new substances endemic to the Holon Region, with properties only rivaled by the best technology Man has to offer.

When given the chance, you should bring these substances, and anything else you can, back to the city, to have them synthesized and grown. You will be able to use them in place of many of the staples of Man's collaborative effort with Pokémon, such as Potions and Antidotes. Berries grow wild in Holon, but you can bring them back to the city to grow, where you will be given the fruits of your labor.

As you continue with your exploration, you will discover secrets Holon has held for millenia, since the last inhabitants vanished. You will be tasked to find Mew, and along the way, other mythical Pokémon of legend will become apparent, as you disturb their natural havens.

Be wary, however. Holon is still wild, and the very elements of nature herself may turn against you. The lake is dangerous in storms, and the caves are dark labyrinthine mazes woven throughout the mountains of the area. The lake is deep, and there is much hidden below the surface, waiting to be found.

Explanation:

This game is planned as a departure from the standard Pokémon games most of you are used to. The Maps are planned to be open, with exploration and discovery being the main theme. There will be no gyms, no elite four, and no grand championship. Instead, you will be presented with a tantalizingly wide world to explore, with new game mechanics popping up left and right.

Pokémon encounters will vary depending on time of day, current weather conditions, and various other factors yet to be revealed. Instead of being locked into a money based game, where you are constantly purchasing Potions, Ultra Balls, and the like, you will find various things, such as plants and fungi, that can be taken back to a lab in Holon, to be grown or synthesized there. Berries will grow wild in the region, but you can pick them and grow them in a greenhouse in the main city, where workers will automatically water, pick, and replant the berries, and give you the results. Certain necessary man-made items, such as TMs and HMs, must be ordered from other regions, and take a period of time to arrive.

You will also be presented with the new δ Pokémon, which are endemic to the Holon region. These Pokémon will have types they do not normally have, as well as different move pools. On top of that, all legendaries will be obtainable in-game.

Please note that, due to the timing and nature of the various Delta Species Pokémon TCG sets, this game will be based on the GBA Pokémon games, and will not have any of the Pokémon introduced in Diamond, Pearl, or Platinum. Nor will there be any new Pokémon introduced in the game.

Screenshots:

Now, before commenting on these screenshots, keep something in mind. These screenshots are here merely to fulfill the requirements until I can get far enough along in the engine's development process to warrant recruiting a spriter and starting with the mapping and other processes. Until then, any and all screenshots are not only likely to change, they are bound to change in significant ways. Anyway, on to the requirements. Yay.

reqscreen1.png
    reqscreen2.png

New Features:

There will be many new features introduced in Delta Mission. One of the most intriguing will be a detailed weather system, incorporating many different types of weather. These weather patterns will affect what Pokémon you can encounter at any given time, along with the time of day, in a fluid system that negates any specific type of encounter chart.

Also new in this game will be a virtual equivalent of the new Pokéwalker, with some key modifications. The step counter will be based off of in-game steps, and instead of holding one Pokémon, it will be a fully fledged day-care. Unlike previous games, however, the Pokéwalker day-care will allow you to select whether or not a new move is learned, just as the game does when the Pokémon levels in battle.

Also changed will be the fact that you no longer play a minigame to battle Pokémon. Instead, the Pokéwalker will initiate a battle with a Pokémon based on the map you are currently on, using a different encounter table. (This includes many maps where you cannot normally encounter wild Pokémon, such as the city of Holon) It will also have the ability to help you find rare items in the area, with a similar effect to the classic Itemfinder.

The new Pokéwalker will also allow you to store up to six eggs, which will grow as though they were in your party. When one hatches, it will be transferred to your PC back in Holon. This hatchery will automatically pick up any eggs produced by the Pokémon in the daycare function, as well. Not only that, but you can spend your hard-earned watts to speed the growth of an egg, to have it hatch sooner.

Finally, the Pokéwalker will have a few bonus features. It will hold a region map, showing the areas you have explored (which will also change to show any cave you are currently exploring) It will also have a radio function, allowing you to tune into certain channels being broadcast in the city of Holon, and changing the wild encounters of the area. Finally, the Pokéwalker will have a "call for help" feature, which will take you directly back to the city of Holon in the event that you are unable to get there yourself. (Certain weather patterns can prevent flying and/or surfing, which would potentially strand you otherwise)

The game will also include several other things, such as diving, and potentially other new mechanics that have not been explored yet. There will be no unlockable events, instead, everything will be default. However, if I can figure out how, the game will have IP-based trading and battle capability, allowing you to connect to a friend and duke it out. (There will be no central server however, as that presents far more problems than it solves for a free game like this)

Credits:

Glitchfinder: Scripting, most new/modified system ideas
    Setosama: Original game idea, plot, original design choices, music
    Poccil: System base used for required screenshots

Conclusion:

At this point, the game is still open to major changes, and any suggestions are welcome. I am currently in the process of coding the new game engine, which will incorporate many of the elements I have mentioned above, instead of relying on the tired old mechanics we have all grown so used to. Due to the fact that I am in the process of coding an engine for the game, I cannot provide any screenshots from in-game. However, this is a concept thread, and as such, is bound to change in some way or another. And before anyone says it, I am perfectly aware that I am setting myself up for a lot of work. I know exactly how much scripting I need to do to get this game up off the ground. On the other hand, once the engine is up and running, we will probably need some new team members, as my friend and I will not be able to sprite, and may potentially be unable to create music for the game.

Last edited:

Poison Master

Poison'd You.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2010
    Love this idea !

I would love to see Realstic Weather patterns, that effect what pokemon could be found, I love the Story Line/plot , and the features look awesome to.

Keep up the good work on this, i'll defently be watching the progress.

- Ryan

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    Now that would require you to make the engine from scratch or highly modify the pokemon engine that it is beyond recognition... Do you have the dedication to do that? I know that you aren't some 12 year old putting **** out of his ass, but do you actually have the time for all that with your studys? I mean College is intense compared to Highschool.

Poison Master

Poison'd You.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2010
    Now that would require you to make the engine from scratch or highly modify the pokemon engine that it is beyond recognition... Do you have the dedication to do that? I know that you aren't some 12 year old putting **** out of his ass, but do you actually have the time for all that with your studys? I mean College is intense compared to Highschool.

Not to seem like A Ass, but did you read the whole thing?

This can be found under Conclusion.

Glitchfinder said:
    And before anyone says it, I am perfectly aware that I am setting myself up for a lot of work. I know exactly how much scripting I need to do to get this game up off the ground. On the other hand, once the engine is up and running, we will probably need some new team members, as my friend and I will not be able to sprite, and may potentially be unable to create music for the game

Glitchfinder

Years
  • Time != Dedication... I can have all the time in the world and without dedication, nothing gets done

Well, to answer that question, I have time and dedication. I've been brainstorming ideas for this game with a friend since before Firered and LeafGreen come out, and we've both decided to give it our best over the summer. As for the scripting, that will be easy. It's just going to be a lot of stuff to cover. His end will be the main creative side, coming up with the region, as well as being the one with final say on what changes are made. He will also be the one making music, if I can get him a midi cable to hook up to his keyboard. Mapping will be my end of the deal, as will any programming.

All we will really need, when the engine is done, will be a competent spriter willing and able to provide a significant amount of work in the form of new tilesets, as well as other things, such as new berries, Pokéballs, Apricorns, and items. There will not be new Pokémon sprites, nor will there be recolors of existing sprites. Anyway, I'm going to need to cobble together some screenshots to fill the requirements, since I don't want to give the mods any trouble. Note that until I finish the engine, screenshots really don't matter, since the game will change significantly before we start mapping.

Love this idea !

I would love to see Realstic Weather patterns, that effect what pokemon could be found, I love the Story Line/plot , and the features look awesome to.

Keep up the good work on this, i'll defently be watching the progress.

- Ryan

Thanks for the support. The various weather scripts are something I've been toying around with for years, ever since starting learning to script for RMXP. However, they are going to get a serious revamp for this game, since it has very different requirements, and since they won't need the general use features I've been adding to them because people would want them. The only one I currently have an official release of is my thunderstorm, however. (You can find the latest version on the internet linked in my signature.) The rest of them are something I've been fine tuning for a while, mostly because they are far too resource heavy and tend to lag lower spec computers. Also, one of the things to note is that with the effects of weather will come certain limits with what you can do. For example, in the heavy storms, you will be unable to surf on the ocean or lake, and if you are caught on the open water, you will black out and wake up in one of several locations along the shore. At the same time, heavy storms will also make it impossible to fly, which is why I'm including the call for help function in the Pokéwalker. The coolest part is that certain Pokémon will actually be strong enough to allow you to surf or fly anyway. (Such as Wailord, Kyogre, Rayquaza and the legendary birds) Another thing to note is that diving will be mostly unaffected by the storms, so you could potentially dive to avoid blacking out, and get off of the lake by entering one of the caves through an underwater entrance. Another thing to note is that rivers will actually have a current, which means that if you sit in one place, you will move, and that, during storms, the current speeds up. Oh, and you won't be limited to the classic R/S/E deep water for diving. Pretty much the entire lake will be explorable via diving, and there will be things only found underwater, potentially including new types of plants you can grow in tanks at Holon.

Last edited:

Poison Master

Poison'd You.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2010
    Well, to answer that question, I have time and dedication. I've been brainstorming ideas for this game with a friend since before Firered and LeafGreen come out, and we've both decided to give it our best over the summer. As for the scripting, that will be easy. It's just going to be a lot of stuff to cover. His end will be the main creative side, coming up with the region, as well as being the one with final say on what changes are made. He will also be the one making music, if I can get him a midi cable to hook up to his keyboard. Mapping will be my end of the deal, as will any programming.

All we will really need, when the engine is done, will be a competent spriter willing and able to provide a significant amount of work in the form of new tilesets, as well as other things, such as new berries, Pokéballs, Apricorns, and items. There will not be new Pokémon sprites, nor will there be recolors of existing sprites. Anyway, I'm going to need to cobble together some screenshots to fill the requirements, since I don't want to give the mods any trouble. Note that until I finish the engine, screenshots really don't matter, since the game will change significantly before we start mapping.

Thanks for the support. The various weather scripts are something I've been toying around with for years, ever since starting learning to script for RMXP. However, they are going to get a serious revamp for this game, since it has very different requirements, and since they won't need the general use features I've been adding to them because people would want them. The only one I currently have an official release of is my thunderstorm, however. (You can find the latest version on the internet linked in my signature.) The rest of them are something I've been fine tuning for a while, mostly because they are far too resource heavy and tend to lag lower spec computers. Also, one of the things to note is that with the effects of weather will come certain limits with what you can do. For example, in the heavy storms, you will be unable to surf on the ocean or lake, and if you are caught on the open water, you will black out and wake up in one of several locations along the shore. At the same time, heavy storms will also make it impossible to fly, which is why I'm including the call for help function in the Pokéwalker. The coolest part is that certain Pokémon will actually be strong enough to allow you to surf or fly anyway. (Such as Wailord, Kyogre, Rayquaza and the legendary birds) Another thing to note is that diving will be mostly unaffected by the storms, so you could potentially dive to avoid blacking out, and get off of the lake by entering one of the caves through an underwater entrance. Another thing to note is that rivers will actually have a current, which means that if you sit in one place, you will move, and that, during storms, the current speeds up. Oh, and you won't be limited to the classic R/S/E deep water for diving. Pretty much the entire lake will be explorable via diving, and there will be things only found underwater, potentially including new types of plants you can grow in tanks at Holon.

Mhm , I also agree with the Weather idea to tone down the effects, because some one released A game with Cloud shadow effects, and I got lagged out so bad, I couldn't even play it.

I also have A idea for, your diving thing, say if your giving from A storm, you will be able to tell there is A storm, by the color of the dived water, because if your diving in the Lake, lakes are normaly muddy, from storms, oceans would be A differnt story though.

Glitchfinder

Years
  • Mhm , I also agree with the Weather idea to tone down the effects, because some one released A game with Cloud shadow effects, and I got lagged out so bad, I couldn't even play it.

I also have A idea for, your diving thing, say if your giving from A storm, you will be able to tell there is A storm, by the color of the dived water, because if your diving in the Lake, lakes are normaly muddy, from storms, oceans would be A differnt story though.

Well, that is actually a good idea. The best way to do that would probably be through some multilayered fogs, which is something I already had in my weather stuff. Another thing to note is that we could potentially make it dangerous in water near certain parts of the shore, because unstable hillsides could potentially result in rockfalls. However, that might be going a bit far, and is only a theoretical possibility at this point.

I love the not equal to pun, nice one. Seems like alot of hassle for a fangame and no profit...

If you must know the reason why I'm doing it, it's because I want to continue increasing my programming knowledge, ability, and technique, and the only way to do that is through practice. At this point, I find most things for RMXP to be too easy to really improve my skill in programming, so I'm taking on a large project instead. As for my friend, it's because he's been dreaming of this game for years, and he wants to be able to actually put it into a tangible form.

Riverwind

The Fire Within
    Years
  • Sounds cool.....no it sounds perfect!!
    Wish you the best of luck! I'd pay to play that game.

I can't wait until I'm older enough to start programming...

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    If you must know the reason why I'm doing it, it's because I want to continue increasing my programming knowledge, ability, and technique, and the only way to do that is through practice. At this point, I find most things for RMXP to be too easy to really improve my skill in programming, so I'm taking on a large project instead. As for my friend, it's because he's been dreaming of this game for years, and he wants to be able to actually put it into a tangible form.

Sounds cool.....no it sounds perfect!!
    Wish you the best of luck! I'd pay to play that game.

I can't wait until I'm older enough to start programming...

Riverwind: its never too early to start, I started C++ when I was 12, still doing it at 16.

Glitch: Good Luck Dave Man

Glitchfinder

Years
  • All right. I just updated the first post with the last of the requirements, so that the mods wouldn't get any trouble from this thread.

In game related information, I've decided to scrap the default GBA data structures and replace them with modified structures suited more to the needs of the game.

On top of that, I've found a way to cut down the required number of Pokémon sprites from the normal 4 sprites to 2 sprites and a palette image, in most cases. That will significantly reduce the data volume of this project, because I'm essentially cutting out almost 386 64x64 pixel images, and replacing another 386 64x64 pixel images with smaller ones that only measure 16x2 pixels.

I've also begun work on compiling the Pokemon data in the new structures, although that process will take a significant portion of time, and the structures are likely to change eventually.

Update:

I've been working more on the basic game, and I have a few more updates. First off, I have completely reduced the Pokemon image count from a total of four 64x64 images to two 64x64 images and one 16x3 image. This will significantly reduce data size, since I am effectively cutting out 386 64x64 images, and cutting another 386 64x64 images down to a mere 16x3.

In other news, I have been hard at work coming up with new types of minigames, and am happy to announce that there will be several new types of minigames to choose from. None of them will be required for anything, but they will all be intended as a fun way to kill some time, and potentially get something neat in the process.

Also, another announcement is that the game will not be handling legendary Pokémon in the same way as previous games. Instead of a stationary overworld sprite with one battle only, many legendaries will be wanderers who will come back in the event you defeat them. Another note is that, for the stationary legendary Pokémon, they will become wanderers in the event of an accidental defeat. This will prove both a boon and a curse, since this means that the IVs and such will be set in stone after the first encounter, yet you also have more chances than you were given in previous games. There are currently discussions regarding more changes to legendary Pokémon, but they cannot be announced until a final decision has been reached. Suffice to say, the changes would revolutionize how legendary Pokémon are handled in the game.

In relation to the programming I have done so far, I am currently working on databases. I have the personality values working properly, and will begin on the other, more user-oriented portions of the programming soon.

Last edited:

Setosama

LegendaryPokemon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2010
    Finally got me on here. Gonna have to find out how to scan and upload some of the character sketches for the main characters and the main title logo.

Glitchfinder and I have also discussed some REALLY SPECIAL features that will be applied toward the Legendary Pokemon in this game. Very fitting for a legendary game such as this.

The Soundtrack is also in progress as I compose special tracks for other special features in this game...

On another note, for those who have NOT caught on by now, this game is based on the following sets: EX Legend Maker, EX Delta Species, EX Holon Phantoms, EX Crystal Guardians, and EX Dragon Frontier. As many of you who have investigated these sets may be aware, for some Pokemon there exist multiples different delta types. For example, there is are a Fire/Metal Tyranitar and a completely Lightning Tyranitar available in the TCG within the Delta Species sets. Because of this, be prepared to encounter SEVERAL different Delta Types for a single species of Pokemon. For example, one Delta Tyranitar may be a Grass-Type while an entirely different Delta Tyranitar might be a Water-Type.

Raikt

Fiction writer.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 19, 2010
    I enjoy the idea of a game based around the Holon series of cards from the TCG. I always found the set fun to play and interesting when it first came out. Thus, I can tell you put a lot of forethoughts into the plot and storyline, as it covers what little information the scattered cards provided. So, I know you'll succeed already, just based off your willingness to hunt down information and try to break away from the norm. I look forward to whatever you produce off this idea.

On to suggestions; I like everything you have proposed so far. The varying weather scripts, differing Pokemon types and movepools, and the free roam have all been something I've wanted in Pokemon for a while now. I think the only issue will be with the open endedness of the game itself. Desiring free roam is always a good thing, but it's always hard to implement. The larger, and more open, the maps are, the easier it is to make mistakes. I suppose it's not really a suggestion, but will it actually be a free roam environment, or will it be simulated, like in some games, based mostly off perspective?

Glitchfinder

Years
  • I enjoy the idea of a game based around the Holon series of cards from the TCG. I always found the set fun to play and interesting when it first came out. Thus, I can tell you put a lot of forethoughts into the plot and storyline, as it covers what little information the scattered cards provided. So, I know you'll succeed already, just based off your willingness to hunt down information and try to break away from the norm. I look forward to whatever you produce off this idea.

On to suggestions; I like everything you have proposed so far. The varying weather scripts, differing Pokemon types and movepools, and the free roam have all been something I've wanted in Pokemon for a while now. I think the only issue will be with the open endedness of the game itself. Desiring free roam is always a good thing, but it's always hard to implement. The larger, and more open, the maps are, the easier it is to make mistakes. I suppose it's not really a suggestion, but will it actually be a free roam environment, or will it be simulated, like in some games, based mostly off perspective?

Thanks for the great comments! In regard to the free roaming features, it will be a combination of both worlds. For example, there will be regions, with natural divisions between them. For example, different sections of a forest might be divided by areas where the brush is too thick to pass. However, it will not be an immediate transition, as it was in the older games. Instead, the brush would gradually grow thicker until you could no longer find a path through. On the other hand, other areas, such as the caves, will be much more like natural caves, full of claustrophobic lighting, tight spaces, and more twists and turns than you would care to remember. The lake and ocean will be open to surf as well, though if you go too far out to sea, a current sweeps you away, generating an automatic rescue by the scientists at Holon. Another example of the open layout will be diving. You can explore the entire lake bed, and quite a bit of the ocean floor. However, depth will be handled by multiple levels of diving, where you can dive deeper when you see that the area below you fades to black. (Be warned, some areas may require that you provide your own light source, and you may need protection from various other elements of the deep)

Please remember that we are still open to suggestions and new ideas, and would love any kind of input you could provide. Some details, such as some of the changes being made to legendary Pokémon, will be withheld until we are much closer to release, but most of what we do will be posted here. Also, I occasionally update my Twitter (found through my profile) with various updates regarding current progress within the game code.

Last edited:

Glitchfinder

Years
  • Update: May 7th, 2010

I thought you guys deserved an update for the project, since quite a bit has been happening in the development department. Quite a few decisions have been made regarding the game, and coding the engine is coming along well.

The Engine:

Most of the databases have been designed, and only need to be filled in. Filling the databases is a very time consuming process, however, so it will not be done until much later in the project. Fortunately, test databases will be created and actively modified to test all features of the game, so that we can move forward. These test databases will have far fewer Pokémon, moves and items in them, and will only serve to test all features as they are designed or edited.

On the other hand, the experience tables have already been created and filled, resulting in a total of 600 values that will not need to be entered in the future. Although, to be entirely fair, this is because all experience tables are based off of formulas, so it was much easier than entering at least two versions of all 386 Pokémon into a database, piece by piece. That will be thousands of values that will need to be entered by hand, which is easily the most time consuming portion of this project.

The Game Mechanics:

All right. Some of the decisions we have made since my last post are important to the battle system and game mechanics, so I thought I should let them out now. First off, this game will not include moves or Pokémon introduced in Generation IV, and many items will be left out as well. This is because of the basis for the game, which is a series of TCG packs released before Generation IV. However, many of the items introduced in generation IV will be included, as will many new items, often ones that are natural alternatives to things such as potions. Second, there will be some changes to the GBA style of play, such as using the special/physical types that were introduced in Diamond in Pearl, as well as many of the features already included in the first post, such as the detailed Pokéwalker.

Another thing to note is that, due to the fact that I am an experienced ROM hacker, I will be ripping all battle animations from the GBA series and implementing them in Delta Mission, so that battles will appear as they should, and not as necessity dictates they should. That will take quite a while, but it will only happen much further into development, when the battle system is near completion.

A final item of interest are the fact that this game will be using a bitmap font, which means you don't have to install a font to play it.

Just for Fun:

This game will have many optional features included as things that you can spend time doing if you find them fun, but that aren't required to play the game. For example, you will have the ability to recreate habitats from the areas around Holon inside certain portions of the city, resulting in the ability to potentially grow items to use, as well as allowing for potential collection side quests. (completely optional, but certainly rewarding)

There will also be plenty of mini games to play as well. It has been decided that every research outpost you find will have some kind of mini game to play, as the scientists at each one will have needed something to do, aside from work. Games will vary from a Johto-styled catching contest to a fun fishing mini game.

Raikt

Fiction writer.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 19, 2010
    That summarily answered all my questions, but I still worry, haha. It seems like an enormous load to take on, and while I wish it to succeed as much as I can, it sounds a bit too tedious. How many helpers are you going to take on? Honestly, from what you just told me, it sounds like you would need at least five plus mappers just to finish the beta of the game in a reasonable amount of time. (If there is even going to be a beta?)

Anyway, you've got me rooting for you to succeed.

Glitchfinder

Years
  • That summarily answered all my questions, but I still worry, haha. It seems like an enormous load to take on, and while I wish it to succeed as much as I can, it sounds a bit too tedious. How many helpers are you going to take on? Honestly, from what you just told me, it sounds like you would need at least five plus mappers just to finish the beta of the game in a reasonable amount of time. (If there is even going to be a beta?)

Anyway, you've got me rooting for you to succeed.

Mapping is the least of my worries, at this point. While it will be important in due time, what I have to worry about right now is getting the system finished, and then building the Pokémon database. With the current design, there will be a minimum of 41 values for every single Pokémon (assuming they only learn one move, only hold one item, and only have one Delta variant). With that minimum, you have 11966 values to enter. Now, take into account the fact that most Pokémon will have more than one move, and you have to add two values for every move learned. (And Delta Species will have entirely different available movesets) Every item a Pokémon can hold will also have two values to enter, and they'll be able to be found holding quite a bit. Every time I add a delta variant, I have to add a minimum of four new values, although two of those values are the single move, instead of the full range it would actually learn.

I'm not trying to say I won't finish it. Instead, I am merely pointing out the massive amount of work I have ahead of me. The thing is, the systems and such will be easy. It's the database that's going to give me trouble. Thanks for the great comments, and, as I keep saying, anyone should feel free to make suggestions, since this project is still in early development and new ideas can easily be implemented.

Back