• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Patch: Pokémon Emerald - ROM Base (Free to Use)

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    More trouble:

After beating Norman, Wally's dad (uncle?) comes in to take you aside and give you Surf. Problem is, the game freezes as soon as you two exit the gym. It loads the player in Petalburg city outside the gym but freezes from there.

Pokémon Emerald - ROM Base (Free to Use)

Any quick fix you recommend? I don't mind wiping out the Wally dad event entirely and just getting Surf from Norman if anyone can point me towards what to erase.

EDIT: Figured out a quick fix. For anyone else struggling with the same problem, all you have to do is open Norman's code and make the following changes:

• go to line 193, and replace "return" with "end"
    • on line 192, replace "MSG_KEEPOPEN" with "MSG_NORMAL"

So how to get Surf then? I made Norman give it to the player instead of Wally's dad.
    In Norman's code:
    • go to line 188 and replace "giveitem 0xwhatever-it-is" with "giveitem 0x1F4"
    • on line 192, he starts talking about Facade so you can edit that too if you don't want the player to be confused

Last edited:
    Years
    This ROM base looks really great. Do you, by any chance, have a patch without the expanded Pokémon, items, moves, and new graphics? If not, can I have the offsets of the new stuff and features added? And maybe have the Pokémon's cries fixed.

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2022
    The creator said in the past he doesn't have the rom with just the battle engine and the cry's are not broken just removed by the expansion project

Years
    • Seen May 23, 2024
    Gave a Black Sludge to an enemy Golbat and it damaged it instead of healing. Also selecting a TM shows "TIPO, PODER and PRECISAO." Not sure if that's intended or not.

Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2023
    Hi! I am new to hacking and I'm trying to make something small using this base just for fun - i have no problems with making maps, editing/adding pokemon, etc, but I cannot for the LIFE of me figure out how to edit the Professor Birch intro. Is there a way to do it through Advanced Map or do I have to do it through XSE, and if so... how? I've been googling like crazy and can't figure it out.

Any help is appreciated!

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2023
    Hey quick question; so when a Pokémon uses a move that heals them, or takes damage from poison, the screen flashes with white bars. Any idea on how to fix this?

Years
    • Seen May 23, 2024
    Applying just this patch and nothing else allows EVs to increase above 510 from battle. Vitamins will still stop at 510. I can't find any info on how to undo this or how to even cause it in the first place.

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2023
    All the gen 4+ pokemon added in this rom base don't show up in the regional dex. I've tried using PGE and HMA, but to no avail. Their numbers are correct, but their entries don't show up in the pokedex screen. Also, in HMA, while using the Pokedex Reordering UI all the gen 4+ pokemon's sprites are question marks and their names don't register. How should I proceed?

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Hi! So far, this rom base is absolutely fantastic. No joke, you've done a stellar job, and it's been incredibly easy for me to use. I'm having one problem, though; whenever I delve into the Pokemon screen to view the stats of, say, Torchic, there's absolutely no text. I can see the OC, and the Pokemon/Move type images, but I can't see any text itself. How would I go about fixing this?

Li Yun

"Does the truth exist or is it all a lie and the w
    Years
    More trouble:

After beating Norman, Wally's dad (uncle?) comes in to take you aside and give you Surf. Problem is, the game freezes as soon as you two exit the gym. It loads the player in Petalburg city outside the gym but freezes from there.

Any quick fix you recommend? I don't mind wiping out the Wally dad event entirely and just getting Surf from Norman if anyone can point me towards what to erase.

EDIT: Figured out a quick fix. For anyone else struggling with the same problem, all you have to do is open Norman's code and make the following changes:

• go to line 193, and replace "return" with "end"
    • on line 192, replace "MSG_KEEPOPEN" with "MSG_NORMAL"

So how to get Surf then? I made Norman give it to the player instead of Wally's dad.
    In Norman's code:
    • go to line 188 and replace "giveitem 0xwhatever-it-is" with "giveitem 0x1F4"
    • on line 192, he starts talking about Facade so you can edit that too if you don't want the player to be confused

Which script editor did you use? Because here in XSE the lines you mentioned(192 & 193) do not consist of the one you mentioned.

This ROM base looks really great. Do you, by any chance, have a patch without the expanded Pokémon, items, moves, and new graphics? If not, can I have the offsets of the new stuff and features added? And maybe have the Pokémon's cries fixed.
    Unfortunately I don't have a patch of this base rom without pokémon expansion.
    Download the attached file in the post because it has some text files with offsets of various mechanics, asm's, and etc that have been inserted into the base.
    As for the Cries, I chose to leave it without cry just to let the rom hacker decide which Cries he will insert in the rom, or there are simply people who will use the base without cries, as is my case because I don't really like the Cries. Anyway, in the post there's a link to the Cry Editor where I've already set it up to correctly read this base and so you can insert the cries you want. You can use the litter pack that WesleyFG made available here on the forum, they work very well on the base because I've already tested them.
    Gave a Black Sludge to an enemy Golbat and it damaged it instead of healing. Also selecting a TM shows "TIPO, PODER and PRECISAO." Not sure if that's intended or not.
    Thanks for reporting this.
    Hi! I am new to hacking and I'm trying to make something small using this base just for fun - i have no problems with making maps, editing/adding pokemon, etc, but I cannot for the LIFE of me figure out how to edit the Professor Birch intro. Is there a way to do it through Advanced Map or do I have to do it through XSE, and if so... how? I've been googling like crazy and can't figure it out.

Any help is appreciated!

Do you know the HMA (Hex Maniac Advance)? You can do this for him. You can do that and much more on the base with the HMA.
    Here he: HMA(Hex Maniac Advance)
    Hey quick question; so when a Pokémon uses a move that heals them, or takes damage from poison, the screen flashes with white bars. Any idea on how to fix this?
    Could you record a video of this happening? I tried to replicate this but the bug mentioned by you did not occur.
    All the gen 4+ pokemon added in this rom base don't show up in the regional dex. I've tried using PGE and HMA, but to no avail. Their numbers are correct, but their entries don't show up in the pokedex screen. Also, in HMA, while using the Pokedex Reordering UI all the gen 4+ pokemon's sprites are question marks and their names don't register. How should I proceed?
    It is necessary to edit the .toml of the HMA to make all the data read correctly from the base. For example, changing the maximum number of Pokémon in the .toml from 412 to 1200, the same applies to many other things. I will modify a .toml to be fully HMA compatible, but even you will have to do this manually.
    Hi! So far, this rom base is absolutely fantastic. No joke, you've done a stellar job, and it's been incredibly easy for me to use. I'm having one problem, though; whenever I delve into the Pokemon screen to view the stats of, say, Torchic, there's absolutely no text. I can see the OC, and the Pokemon/Move type images, but I can't see any text itself. How would I go about fixing this?
    This is most likely caused by the emulator you are using. I recommend using VBA(v1.8) or VBA-M in its latest version. mGBA is also recommended, but sometimes there are visual bugs caused by the emulator, so it would be of primary importance to use VBA (v1.8) or VBA-M. Do that and let me know if the error persists or if it's resolved.
    ===========================================
    I apologize for the delay in responding. For some reason after re-organizing the posts here on the forum made by Adm's, I stopped receiving notifications about my posts. I only saw the new messages because I found the absence of messages strange and when I arrived I saw the new messages and no notification about them.

Li Yun

Years
    New Update v2.2 04-04-2022:
    Fix: Effect of Light Clay.
    Fix: Getting TM Taunt at Trick House.
    Fix: Order of HM's.
    Fix: Some words from decap.
    Fix: All HM's are now completely deletetable.
    Fix: The Fighter Gym Leader's Script(Thanks JennyYromhacker for the tip)
    Fix: Level Cap Vitamins(252)
    Fix: Type Icon TM's. Note: It was in Portuguese, now it's in English.
    Fix: Gym Leader Script, Normam. Note: If you continue with bug's, let me know because I will post a solution as soon as possible.
    Note: TM's found on routes, delivered by NPC's or even purchased in stores have not been adjusted, so you'll get a New Item instead.
    To adjust this you will have to edit the script. I didn't adjust that because most likely you would modify this to add a different
    TM/HM that NPC would deliver to you, or sell in the case of stores.
    Note2: The same applies to Move Tutor's. You can configure the desired hit in the script.
    Note3: I adjusted the TM obtained in Trick House, I think this was one of the few places where I adjusted the TM that the NPC delivers to you.
    Note3: I'm looking into the bug where Black Sludge deals damage in Pokemon Poison.
    It doesn't happen in all Pokémon with the Poison typing, it's very rare to happen. Just be aware of such a bug. Soon I could come up with a solution.

Download link attached in the main post.

Li Yun

Years
    Update Complement v2.2a:
    New: Show Type Hidden Power. Credits to the blackuser
    Screenshot the mod:
    Spoiler:

To apply new updates to your base rom without losing the edits you made, download the attached file in the post, extract it, and then go to the Modexe - Update vX.YY folder. Open the modexe on your base rom and then just apply the mod available there. This mod will always contain the data of the new update. So you can update your base rom without losing the data you had previously edited on it.

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2022
    Hey, so when I try to patch a clean ROM, it says "Source ROM checksum mismatch". The CRC32 is also highlighted in red. Is there something wrong with what I am doing, or is there a specific ROM that has to be used?

The CRC32 is e1e4bbb3

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2022
    Can someone help me?
    I'm trying to apply the latest patch to my rom, using the same site you put in the post and it keeps giving the same error
    "source rom checksum mismatch"
    I already tried to download roms from different sites, expanded the roms and nothing
    I started to study about hack rom a very short time ago so I really don't know anything
    (I'm Brazilian and unfortunately my English is terrible, I apologize for any mistakes)

Li Yun

Years
    Link in the updated attachment. Download an original, unedited Emerald rom, then open it on XSE and expand it to 32mb. You can then apply the .ups patch that is inside the attached file in the post. The new updated file is called Rom Base v2.2a - 05-04-2022_2 to differentiate from the previous version name. Thanks for reporting this.

Ai Nikray, cola lá no discord caso tenha alguma duvida. Aqui: Li Yun#6236

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2022
    Link in the updated attachment. Download an original, unedited Emerald rom, then open it on XSE and expand it to 32mb. You can then apply the .ups patch that is inside the attached file in the post. The new updated file is called Rom Base v2.2a - 05-04-2022_2 to differentiate from the previous version name. Thanks for reporting this.

Ai Nikray, cola lá no discord caso tenha alguma duvida. Aqui: Li Yun#6236

wow I missed some updates glad to see you are still working hard for the community here you are real inspiration to me for my hack you are the nicest person :) will update my rom soon

Last edited:

Li Yun

Years
    Small Update v2.2b:
    Fix: Hatch Egg's. Note: The Egg's were not hatching properly according to the steps set up in pge.
    Now with this Fix the Egg's will come back to crash into the right steps.

Note: The test file.ini has now gotten much smaller than before. I edited it and removed all unnecessary information about other roms
    like Fire Red, Ruby, Sapphire, etc., I left only information and offsets on the base.

Yes, an update bringing a single change but that will make all the difference in your base.
    I had already come up with this bug before, but only today I remembered it, and so I decided to release an update with a fix quickly.

Screenshots:
    Spoiler:

This is the Bulbasaur Egg that I set up with different steps to shock. I know you will test this, but it is good that I leave proof that the bug has been fixed.

Last edited:
    Back