• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Pokémon Essentials v18 progress report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    So, you think that we could get a rough estimated completion time of, say, X weeks/months? Or, barring that, what would you say is the completion rate you have for v18 as of right now (if you had to put a number on it, like 25-30%? Maybe 40% Or am I low-balling it?)
    When it's done.

I don't want to state any dates, because they'd be complete guesses based on no evidence and thus meaningless. I'm not going to give people expectations based on nothing and let them be disappointed when the date comes and goes. I work on Essentials when I want to, and I do what I want, and I don't know how long it'll take me to do everything I want to do.

Similarly, I don't want to state percentages. I wouldn't know how to evaluate those in this context, because it's entirely subjective and requires knowledge of what has been done/what needs doing (which can change). I can't weigh features and parts of features against each other in any meaningful way beyond a vague tiering that couldn't be used to derive any sort of completion factor.

Great work but imagine people wanted to upgrade their game to the latest version but they cannot becuase of breaking changes, how players should be able to deal with this problem? Otherwise no other issues
    This has always been the case with new versions of Essentials. My response is always the same: developers should be keeping track of what they're doing (as the wiki guides suggest), and they can adapt their work to the new version and ask for advice with it. Alternatively, they can stick with their old version and lose out on improvements and get no support from me.

HM100

HM100 the Techno
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2024
    This has always been the case with new versions of Essentials. My response is always the same: developers should be keeping track of what they're doing (as the wiki guides suggest), and they can adapt their work to the new version and ask for advice with it. Alternatively, they can stick with their old version and lose out on improvements and get no support from me.

True, however, some people tend to implement new features and fixes from newer essentials version into their copy of Essentials they have as well.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Those people won't get my support either, because it's so easy to mess things up that way and I don't know what they've done and code that should be standard no longer is.

#Not Important

All hail the wishmaker
    Years
    Oooo...
    Now that I'm here...
    Could you add "brilliant" pokemon, you know... the ones that have an aura, you could make the aura in battle...
    And randomized encoumters...
    Is it too much to ask...
    Thanks anyway
    👍

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2020
    Great news! I just recently started using essentials and I'm learning a lot about scripts and making videogames! So I'm really excited to hear this! All my support to you beautiful human being, if you need something just ask!

Years
    I am happily waiting for your work to be done man. I've always wanted to try and make my own game. And thanks to men like you I can at least fail hilariously. But have fun trying.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    Will you be changing the move and battler effects scripts? I spent a lot of time making my own custom moves so I'm worried that I might have to start over if I switch to v18.

HM100

HM100 the Techno
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2024
    Will you be changing the move and battler effects scripts? I spent a lot of time making my own custom moves so I'm worried that I might have to start over if I switch to v18.

Mostly you have to start over but I am not sure yet.

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2020
    Ow, happy to know that there will be a new version, in the future I want to update my fangame again, I hope it will be with this v18, take as long as you need ...

I used Essentials a lot and learned a lot from it, happy to know that it didn't really end ...

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hey, I don't know if this is the right place for this but there's something in 17.2 that can be improved, it's not really a bug as it's working as intended, it just works sub optimally.

The way protect / detect / etc works, there's a "protectrate" that's set as 1, and this value keeps doubling as you consecutively use these type of moves
    when you select this type of moves it checks if the last move was protect / detect, etc and if yes then it doubles, else it goes back to 1

when using a skillcode (custom AI behavior) you can't, for example, make the pokemon use protect every other turn because that number only reverts to 1 after the pokemon selects detect again, meaning u have protectrate of 1 once per fight in turn 0
    if protectrate is set as 1 after turn end, or in begining of turn it should solve this instead of only when pokemon selects one of these moves

it's just a chance to make a small QoL upgrade, tbf most ppl don't even use skillcodes or change AI so I imagine fiddling with it isn't really a priority

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    I guess you could make your AI look at lastMoveUsed in addition to protectrate, but that's obviously a bunch of duplication (and therefore a bug waiting to happen).

Years
    • Seen May 23, 2024
    How would I be able to get pokemon essentials?

After Pokemon Essentials and it's wiki were taken down, Pokecommunity no longer allows the distribution of Essentials.

You'd have to look to google for a download. Sorry...

Years
    • Seen May 23, 2024
    Hey Maruno, can you give us some kind of status update about the new Essentials v18. I really can't wait to start a new project.

WolfPP

Spriter/ Pixel Artist
    Years
    Hoopa, Furfrou nor Shaymin (IDK if Rotom's included) when you deposit them, they'll turn back into their original forms, v17.2 doesn't have a code for these cases. I suggest to you to add it in v18.

HM100

HM100 the Techno
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2024
    Hoopa, Furfrou nor Shaymin (IDK if Rotom's included) when you deposit them, they'll turn back into their original forms, v17.2 doesn't have a code for these cases. I suggest to you to add it in v18.

Code appears to be included, even in Essentials 16.2. Essentials appears to do this differently than you know by removing the FormTime attribute set to the pokémon

Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2023
    since your planning on adding gen 7 stuff will you also be adding gen 8 stuff (moves, abilities, evo methods, pokemon) alongside it or not ? also will regional variants also be included?

Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Nov 11, 2023
    Good to see that Essentials i still being developed! I'm reading the changelog and I'm curious about a few details:

1. Gen 7 mechanics: Are the following Gen 7 features going to be in v18?
    a) Mega Evolved Pokemon gain their new speed stat immediately upon Mega Evolving (unlike Gen 6 where the new speed stat takes place the next turn)
    b) Dark types are immune to Prankster
    - I've already added these to my v17.2 game (thanks to Vendily and WolfPP, respectively), but I'm just curious if I'll have to add this again in v18

2. What does the new trainers.txt format look like, where you can now set individual EV's & IV's?

3. Does the AI ability handlers extend to the -ate abilities (Pixilate, Galvanize, Refrigerate, etc...)?
    - I'm hoping the AI will treat Normal attacks as their new type (ex: an opposing Sylveon will use Hyper Voice against my Ghost-type, knowing that it's now a Fairy move)

Anyways, keep up the good work! Forgive me if these are dumb questions.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back