• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Release] Pokémon Essentials, version 18.1 - 28th September 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Pokémon Essentials, version 18
    2nd September 2020

Change log

You may remember that Essentials exists. It hasn't had a new release in nearly three years now, so you'd be forgiven for forgetting that it exists. But exist it does, and now there's a whole new version!

So what's in it?

Battle system overhaul

This whole thing started when I decided to rearrange how using a move in battle works, from "each target is attacked separately" to "the move hits all targets at once". I grossly underestimated the workload involved in this, and then things spiraled out of control and v18 became a whole battle system overhaul. Lots and lots of things have been rewritten and improved, and I can't possibly describe them all in this post.

The most notable feature is that triple battles are now supported. In fact, all battle sizes are supported, including 1v2, 3v1 and so on. (Anything above 3v3 will require you to add some extra things yourself, but the underlying code will work for those as well.)

The other most notable feature is that the effects of Gen 7 moves/items/abilities have been added. Gen 8 effects have been omitted for now, because I didn't want to add two Gens' worth of content at once. Essentials now comes with two sets of PBS files: one for Gen 5 and one for Gen 7, now with fewer mistakes and better formatting.

Battle visuals

There are move animations and common animations, and then there are "system" animations. The latter are things like "throw a Poké Ball" or "Pokémon faints" or "make the whole battle screen fade in from black at the start with everything sliding around and looking dynamic". These system animations have been greatly improved and standardised, now all using the same animation system which will eventually also be used for move/common animations because it's so much smoother and better.

Other visual changes have been made to the battle system. The command bar's background now depends on the environment rather than always being grey, data boxes (the panels with the HP/Exp bars in) now have better-looking numbers and improved bar-changing animations, and there's a splash bar announcing that an ability has triggered (which you can disable if you want). Messages can be sped up by mashing buttons.

PBS files

"trainers.txt" has a new format which is much easier to read and write (don't worry, the old format still works). This new format lets you define each of a Pokémon's IVs individually, rather than having a single number for all of them. You can also set their EVs. More properties should be easier to add in if and when they're needed.

Other PBS files get some improvements too. Formatting has been improved for added legibility, e.g. drawing a line between items in two different pockets in "items.txt"/moves of different types in "moves.txt", and indenting encounter lines in "encounters.txt". A few extra properties are definable, such as map-specific metadata for battle environments and extra positioning values for Pokémon sprites and their shadows. Move function codes are now strings rather than hex numbers, and a future update will make use of this by renaming all the 03C and 14A codes to proper English phrases that make sense.

The attributes of a trainer's Pokémon, if they aren't specifically defined in "trainers.txt", are now consistently chosen, meaning a trainer's Pokémon won't spontaneously change gender or nature if you fight them multiple times.

And more

While this wasn't a specific goal for this version, a lot of animations in the game have been made FPS-agnostic (including things like walking speed, Pokémon icon bobbing and event Wait commands). This means they won't speed up if you change the FPS, so you can play the game normally but at a higher FPS. Not everything has been affected, though, but many of the more noticeable things has been.

Similarly, a fair number of changes have been made to tackle lag. This includes the caching of data (and compiling it into better formats), simplifying calculations that are made constantly, and cutting down on unnecessary actions like checking for files when the game doesn't need to. I don't know how much of an effect this will have, but it felt good to do.

I'm fond of the Triple Triad minigame, and I've redesigned it a bit to use actual graphics for the cards rather than drawing them with code. You can now also see cards you're buying/selling, and the stats and prices on those cards are now calculated differently (they used to not care about HP and Speed at all, so Pokémon that excelled in those stats ended up with bad cards). There's much more that can be done, but that'll be in the future.

Essentials now includes a plugin manager script written by Marin, which will help third party add-ons check their compatibility with each other and with Essentials. It's worth using!

There have been loads of other code improvements, in the battle system and elsewhere. Things have been made more modular, more usable and easier to edit. There have also been plenty of bug fixes (and given how majorily the battle system has been altered, I'm sure a bunch of new bugs have been added). Check the change log for a longer, although still not comprehensive, list.

The full change log for this version is available on the wiki.

Enjoy!

Pokémon Essentials, version 18.1
    28th September 2020

Change log

Yes, Pokémon Essentials v18.1 has been released. It's mainly about fixing bugs that popped up in v18, but it has a few new things too. Check it out!

Last edited:

#Not Important

All hail the wishmaker
    Years
  • Finally!!!!!!!!!
    I'm having some trouble upgrading, but that's my fault... I need to update some scripts...
    Also, thx for the PBS files!
    what does PBS stand for?
    So glad I have Gen 7 in my game now, I was too lazy to implement it lol

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I expected this a lot but it came, it brings many interesting things, I will still wait a little longer to see if iet is safe to emigrate to this.

Years
  • This sounds amazing! Are the sound effects/music files unchanged?

The previous version of Pokemon Essentials had weird sound-balancing problems with the default music/SFX. Some sound effects would be way louder and higher-fidelity than others, and there wasn't much consistency in the volume music tracks would play at and whether they'd be from Pokemon games or something else.

oldsnake90

Creator Pokemon Glacial Freeze
    Years
  • Pokémon Essentials, version 18
    2nd September 2020

Change log

You may remember that Essentials exists. It hasn't had a new release in nearly three years now, so you'd be forgiven for forgetting that it exists. But exist it does, and now there's a whole new version!

So what's in it?

Battle system overhaul

This whole thing started when I decided to rearrange how using a move in battle works, from "each target is attacked separately" to "the move hits all targets at once". I grossly underestimated the workload involved in this, and then things spiraled out of control and v18 became a whole battle system overhaul. Lots and lots of things have been rewritten and improved, and I can't possibly describe them all in this post.

The most notable feature is that triple battles are now supported. In fact, all battle sizes are supported, including 1v2, 3v1 and so on. (Anything above 3v3 will require you to add some extra things yourself, but the underlying code will work for those as well.)

The other most notable feature is that the effects of Gen 7 moves/items/abilities have been added. Gen 8 effects have been omitted for now, because I didn't want to add two Gens' worth of content at once. Essentials now comes with two sets of PBS files: one for Gen 5 and one for Gen 7, now with fewer mistakes and better formatting.

Battle visuals

There are move animations and common animations, and then there are "system" animations. The latter are things like "throw a Poké Ball" or "Pokémon faints" or "make the whole battle screen fade in from black at the start with everything sliding around and looking dynamic". These system animations have been greatly improved and standardised, now all using the same animation system which will eventually also be used for move/common animations because it's so much smoother and better.

Other visual changes have been made to the battle system. The command bar's background now depends on the environment rather than always being grey, data boxes (the panels with the HP/Exp bars in) now have better-looking numbers and improved bar-changing animations, and there's a splash bar announcing that an ability has triggered (which you can disable if you want). Messages can be sped up by mashing buttons.

PBS files

"trainers.txt" has a new format which is much easier to read and write (don't worry, the old format still works). This new format lets you define each of a Pokémon's IVs individually, rather than having a single number for all of them. You can also set their EVs. More properties should be easier to add in if and when they're needed.

Other PBS files get some improvements too. Formatting has been improved for added legibility, e.g. drawing a line between items in two different pockets in "items.txt"/moves of different types in "moves.txt", and indenting encounter lines in "encounters.txt". A few extra properties are definable, such as map-specific metadata for battle environments and extra positioning values for Pokémon sprites and their shadows. Move function codes are now strings rather than hex numbers, and a future update will make use of this by renaming all the 03C and 14A codes to proper English phrases that make sense.

The attributes of a trainer's Pokémon, if they aren't specifically defined in "trainers.txt", are now consistently chosen, meaning a trainer's Pokémon won't spontaneously change gender or nature if you fight them multiple times.

And more

While this wasn't a specific goal for this version, a lot of animations in the game have been made FPS-agnostic (including things like walking speed, Pokémon icon bobbing and event Wait commands). This means they won't speed up if you change the FPS, so you can play the game normally but at a higher FPS. Not everything has been affected, though, but many of the more noticeable things has been.

Similarly, a fair number of changes have been made to tackle lag. This includes the caching of data (and compiling it into better formats), simplifying calculations that are made constantly, and cutting down on unnecessary actions like checking for files when the game doesn't need to. I don't know how much of an effect this will have, but it felt good to do.

I'm fond of the Triple Triad minigame, and I've redesigned it a bit to use actual graphics for the cards rather than drawing them with code. You can now also see cards you're buying/selling, and the stats and prices on those cards are now calculated differently (they used to not care about HP and Speed at all, so Pokémon that excelled in those stats ended up with bad cards). There's much more that can be done, but that'll be in the future.

Essentials now includes a plugin manager script written by Marin, which will help third party add-ons check their compatibility with each other and with Essentials. It's worth using!

There have been loads of other code improvements, in the battle system and elsewhere. Things have been made more modular, more usable and easier to edit. There have also been plenty of bug fixes (and given how majorily the battle system has been altered, I'm sure a bunch of new bugs have been added). Check the change log for a longer, although still not comprehensive, list.

The full change log for this version is available on the wiki.

Enjoy!

how to download it? theres no download link for me?

Years
    • Seen today
    Honesty the best thing to come out in 2020, thank you Maruno, you're the best.

Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2023
    ok so i may be an idiot but where can we get v18?

doesnt matter found it

Last edited:

hirokimura

Miltank's Fanboy Number One
    Years
  • Seriously Maruno you're the very best guy among all of us. Finally the work is done ! Like, we were waiting so much and I'm totally hyped right now ! Thankkkk you so much Maruno <3 <3 <3

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2020
    My V18 came without the script to make poke centers why? Like i can make poke marts an houses etc. But V18 wont let me make poke centers to heal the pokemon.

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Pokémon Essentials, version 18.1
    28th September 2020

Change log

Yes, Pokémon Essentials v18.1 has been released. It's mainly about fixing bugs that popped up in v18, but it has a few new things too. Check it out!

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2022
    I may be an idiot for asking this but is V18 compatible with the Universal Plugin Installer and Elite Battle System?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I may be an idiot for asking this but is V18 compatible with the Universal Plugin Installer and Elite Battle System?

The UPI (or EPI as it was later renamed) was retired June of this year. You can install the resources on it manually from Luka's website.
    EBS is not compatible with v18 because of the large changes made to the battle system from v17. You'll need to wait until EBDX comes out, and that's not ready yet.

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2024
    Is the process of upgrading a game made in Essentials v15 to Essentials v18.1 the same as doing it from Essentials v15 to Essentials v17.2 (as shown here), or is there even more trickery involved? Also, the linked page does NOT mention adding the Shape field, although it really should.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back