• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Release] Pokémon Essentials, version 6 - 23rd April 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Where can I quickly edited sprites postion in animation, because chagne this in Editor is too very long? Because in move animation, every sprites change their postions. Screenshot:

Pokémon Essentials, version 6 - 23rd April 2012

P. S.
    I posted it in Bugs, but nobody anserws me.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Why you put the default BGM volume to 100? I think that is good to don't use the max to may increase the volume for the bgm with low sound without using an audio editor.

About the Shadow Pokémon that are now coloured as Shadow Pokémon everywhere, maybe it is good to make a Setting with this option on, off or only with some trainer variable like '$Trainer.viewShadowPokemon=true' that can be used to to represent Rui/Aura Reader.

The old version font is working. I have attached in this post.
    The default BGM volume was set to 100 because that made the battle music as loud as the map music (100 is the default volume). I think it's the best way. I'm sure it's not difficult to use an audio editor for your quiet tracks.

Maybe in the future, if I decide that a toggleable Aura Reader feature is necessary, I'll add it in.

The old version of the font (Power Clear) doesn't have a working space character, which is why it was replaced. The new version (Pokémon Diamond and Pearl) just needs some more tweaking to re-implement the gender symbols.

Where can I quickly edited sprites postion in animation, because chagne this in Editor is too very long? Because in move animation, every sprites change their postions. Screenshot:

P. S.
    I posted it in Bugs, but nobody anserws me.
    I for one didn't answer you the first time because I didn't know what you were asking.

The best way of repositioning battle sprites is with the External Editor's "Reposition Sprites" feature. "Reposition All" does it even faster, but then you'll need to go through and adjust any enemy altitudes yourself - the game isn't clever enough to decide which sprites should be airborne.

As for being able to move the battlers as part of an attack's animation, they will only be moved if the animation has a position of "Screen".

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Save files contain all the information that needs to be saved, in a particular order. At the beginning are a couple of bits of information that are pre-loaded, because they're used in the "Continue" panel to show the details of the savegame. I slipped an extra bit of information in there, the current map number, so that the location could also be displayed. That's all.
    You can also put a begin/rescue clause that if the save can't be load, the old load way can be activated, but I don't think that this may be good for putting in Essentials, just point to developers that wish to maintain old save files.

The old version of the font (Power Clear) doesn't have a working space character, which is why it was replaced. The new version (Pokémon Diamond and Pearl) just needs some more tweaking to re-implement the gender symbols.
    The old version from the last Poccil update. The before one (the one that I upload in topic) didn't have neither problems as you can see in the screenshot.

PokemonyellowX

Team Black Forest owner
    Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2015
    Download

That's right, it's out!

It's been almost 3 months since the last release, but I'd say it's been worth the wait. The screen size has now been upped to 512x384 (i.e. the size of a single DS screen), but that's not all. Pretty much everything you can see in Essentials (except the maps!) has now been redesigned to suit the larger screen size.

There has been a host of related improvements too, such as in style, presentation, speed and information. All in all, I'm sure you'll agree with me when I say that Essentials is now miles better than it used to be.

I should stress that the goal of this release was to resize the screen, not to redesign everything. The various redesigns that have been made were the necessary ones. This is why the Pause menu looks the same as it used to, for one - it didn't need changing for it to carry on working. Other aspects of Essentials that weren't improved here may well be improved in future.

I've made many many changes in this release, and I'm sure I haven't written them all down in the changelog. If you spot any tweaks that haven't been noted, share them below!

Enjoy!

This thread is only for discussion about this release.
    Could you tell me how to make RPGMKXP work on windows vista home

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    The compiler change the Nidoran symbol for the pokemon.txt that I send you to '?', but you already correct this. You divide the pokemon.txt in two versions, one with regional numbers and other without, this isn't make it harder for an update?
    Are you putting every text name in scripts using _INTL or ISPRINTF for the translate functions?
    Neat use of ItemHandlerHash on balls! I suggest to use things like 'isSpecies?' to do things like Moon Ball effect for better code organization.
    The Lure Ball icon its a tile row unpositioned (I know the blue/green reason).
    I thinks that you need to put something on notes.html to show that it is deprecated like changing the name to "Notes - deprecated.html".
    Since the game allows to store strings on $game_variables, the game crashes if you put a variable condition on event page on map for a variable that have a string value, maybe you can put a validation on it (and even in conditional branch) to this variable types count as 0 in line 'if $game_variables[c.variable_id] < c.variable_value'?

Can you put to the fishing normal graphics be load if the fishingsurf doesn't exist?
    To do this in PokemonField change the line '$game_player.setDefaultCharName(sprintf("fishing%s%03d",$PokemonGlobal.surfing ? "surf" : "",playertrainer),patternb-pattern)' to 'setFishingGraphics(playertrainer,patternb-pattern)' and change line '$game_player.setDefaultCharName(sprintf("fishing%s%03d",$PokemonGlobal.surfing ? "surf" : "",playertrainer),patternb+pattern)' to 'setFishingGraphics(playertrainer,patternb+pattern)'. Before line 'def pbFishingBegin' put:

Code:
    def setFishingGraphics(playertrainer,patter)
      usesurf=false
      if $PokemonGlobal.surfing
        name=sprintf("fishingsurf%03d",playertrainer)
        usesurf=FileTest.image_exist?("Graphics/Characters/"+name)
      end
      $game_player.setDefaultCharName(sprintf("fishing%s%03d",
        usesurf ? "surf" : "",playertrainer),patter)
    end

Could you tell me how to make RPGMKXP work on windows vista home
    Right click in Properties, Compatibility, set other Windows like XP.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    The compiler change the Nidoran symbol for the pokemon.txt that I send you to '?', but you already correct this. You divide the pokemon.txt in two versions, one with regional numbers and other without, this isn't make it harder for an update?
    Only a little. I don't think there's anything more that needs to be changed about the existing species, so it shouldn't crop up. Having the two versions makes examples easier. Of course, you don't need to use two versions yourself.

Are you putting every text name in scripts using _INTL or ISPRINTF for the translate functions?
    As far as I know, yes. I've even put some graphics filenames in them too (ones with words in), to allow those to be translated.

Neat use of ItemHandlerHash on balls! I suggest to use things like 'isSpecies?' to do things like Moon Ball effect for better code organization.
    The balls had handlers before I came along. Thank Poccil for that.

There's no such thing as "isSpecies?", and it'd be exactly the same as what's already there anyway so there's no point changing it.

Nice catch with the icon. It's blue just to be up-to-date.

I thinks that you need to put something on notes.html to show that it is deprecated like changing the name to "Notes - deprecated.html".
    They're nearly deprecated. As soon as the remaining bits of useful information are put onto the wiki, I'll just delete them.

Since the game allows to store strings on $game_variables, the game crashes if you put a variable condition on event page on map for a variable that have a string value, maybe you can put a validation on it (and even in conditional branch) to this variable types count as 0 in line 'if $game_variables[c.variable_id] < c.variable_value'?
    I didn't know that happened. Then again, I'm careful. Maybe it should be left like that, though, because it's a better indicator that you're doing something wrong.

Can you put to the fishing normal graphics be load if the fishingsurf doesn't exist?
    To do this in PokemonField change the line '$game_player.setDefaultCharName(sprintf("fishing%s%03d",$PokemonGlobal.surfing ? "surf" : "",playertrainer),patternb-pattern)' to 'setFishingGraphics(playertrainer,patternb-pattern)' and change line '$game_player.setDefaultCharName(sprintf("fishing%s%03d",$PokemonGlobal.surfing ? "surf" : "",playertrainer),patternb+pattern)' to 'setFishingGraphics(playertrainer,patternb+pattern)'. Before line 'def pbFishingBegin' put:

Code:
      usesurf=false
      end
    end
    I'm not entirely sure when you'd use the regular fishing graphic as the surf-fishing graphic. If you just want it to be a place holder while you don't have a surf-fishing graphic, then why not copy the regular fishing graphic?

Again, it also serves as an indicator of a problem. If you suddenly disappear while surf-fishing, it's a more dramatic sign that you don't have the right graphic than if it just uses the "wrong" graphic.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    As far as I know, yes. I've even put some graphics filenames in them too (ones with words in), to allow those to be translated.
    This shold be described in some place.
    Please note also that the scripts in game events must use "_I" function instead.

The balls had handlers before I came along. Thank Poccil for that.
    Wow, I didn't notice! The handlers must be in the last ones poccil releases.

There's no such thing as "isSpecies?", and it'd be exactly the same as what's already there anyway so there's no point changing it.
    Search for 'def isSpecies?' on scripts. The point is for code organization.

They're nearly deprecated. As soon as the remaining bits of useful information are put onto the wiki, I'll just delete them.
    Yes, but this need to be more clear, a good numbers of novices still thinks that everything listed in notes still work.

Also:

By the way, to copy/paste abilities from old poccil system to Maruno new system (and vice-versa) is only necessary to copy the PokeBattle_Move, PokeBattle_MoveEffects, PokeBattle_Battler and PokeBattle_Battle scripts? Updating isn't a option.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    This shold be described in some place.
    The wiki is right there, and it's free-for-all. Why must I do smegging everything? I don't even have any experience with translating the games, so I don't know what I'm talking about.

Search for 'def isSpecies?' on scripts. The point is for code organization.
    No really, it's exactly the same thing but it's a bit more long-winded.

Strange, doing an all-section search for isspec doesn't find anything, but isSpec does. No, I don't have Match Case ticked.

Yes, but this need to be more clear, a good numbers of novices still thinks that everything listed in notes still work.
    Well, since it's obvious no one's going to be nice and go through the notes to properly deprecate them (by adding the last of the information to the wiki), I suppose I'll do it myself. At some point. Just like everything else. I'll just delete the notes, then, since they're mostly inaccurate.

By the way, to copy/paste abilities from old poccil system to Maruno new system (and vice-versa) is only necessary to copy the PokeBattle_Move, PokeBattle_MoveEffects, PokeBattle_Battler and PokeBattle_Battle scripts? Updating isn't a option.
    Are you asking if that's the case, or are you stating that it is the case? Regardless, I recommend that you don't have anything to do with the old versions - the new versions exist because they're better. I'm not going to try supporting older versions.

PokemonyellowX

Team Black Forest owner
    Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2015

Code:
      usesurf=false
      end
    end

Right click in Properties, Compatibility, set other Windows like XP.
    i did and it still does not work.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I got A Question in my game when I go to use A Pokeball nothing happens but everything else I have worked out and it is greattt good job.
    It works for me (I spent ages improving the ball-throwing animation), so you must have changed something.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    The wiki is right there, and it's free-for-all. Why must I do smegging everything? I don't even have any experience with translating the games, so I don't know what I'm talking about.
    Ok, but if I didn't ask you or search well, I can't find the existence of this feature.

Strange, doing an all-section search for isspec doesn't find anything, but isSpec does. No, I don't have Match Case ticked.
    I have observed this before, I thinks that is a RPG Maker XP bug.

Well, since it's obvious no one's going to be nice and go through the notes to properly deprecate them (by adding the last of the information to the wiki), I suppose I'll do it myself. At some point. Just like everything else. I'll just delete the notes, then, since they're mostly inaccurate.
    I am surprised about how big the Essentials popularity is and how small is the help that people are giving to you. I focus in find and fix some hard bugs, things that the majority of people can't do. If prefer to left the other people to help with these basic things, but I going to help you. After around 4 months, if nobody help you with this, so I put theses info on wikia.

Are you asking if that's the case, or are you stating that it is the case? Regardless, I recommend that you don't have anything to do with the old versions - the new versions exist because they're better. I'm not going to try supporting older versions.
    Stating. Can you answer my question, please?

The new graphics are very good! I only don't like the box hud colors.
    You stated that the BaseEXP in txt are wrong for some pokémon (like Chansey), but why you don't correct this?
    Where you find the HgSs Box graphics?
    How about putting the two new gen 4 box marks?
    Why don't put autosort pockets like TM/HMs and maybe berries?
    I don't know if it is a bug, but I can step in PokéCenter plant.
    You also need to put more trees and similar things in test maps because the player vision is bigger.
    There some "wt[5]" in the sample pokégear entry.
    I think that some screens like Pokégear and Jukebox are show (regard fading) too quick.

Essentials Credits said:
    Not many animals were harmed in the making of this game.
    LOL

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Stating. Can you answer my question, please?
    I don't know. The battle system is complicated, and depends on many other things in other scripts.

The new graphics are very good! I only don't like the box hud colors.
    You stated that the BaseEXP in txt are wrong for some pokémon (like Chansey), but why you don't correct this?
    Where you find the HgSs Box graphics?
    How about putting the two new gen 4 box marks?
    Why don't put autosort pockets like TM/HMs and maybe berries?
    I don't know if it is a bug, but I can step in PokéCenter plant.
    You also need to put more trees and similar things in test maps because the player vision is bigger.
    There some "wt[5]" in the sample pokégear entry.
    I think that some screens like Pokégear and Jukebox are show (regard fading) too quick.
    I assume you're talking about Pokémon storage there. I ripped the wallpapers myself, had trouble designing something that looked good with the very limited space, and couldn't be bothered improving the markings.

It would've been a bit more effort to find the Gen 5 BaseEXP values, so I didn't bother.

Auto-sorting pockets may be added later.

I didn't bother making the example maps larger because it would have taken even longer, and I intend to completely replace them soon anyway. The plant problem is just because the tileset isn't set up properly, and that will also be fixed when the maps are redone.

I know some screen transitions are inconsistent. I tried fixing them but couldn't really find a convenient solution. I swear those \wt[5] commands in random phone calls were working before; I'll have a look at them.

Essentials Credits said:
    Not many animals were harmed in the making of this game.
    LOL
    I was wondering when someone would find that. :P

~Angel~

Lead developer for Pokémon Millennium
    Years
  • Ok. Maruno I've done nothing but. Now the game won't even load for me once I start a new game or battle my rival the thing crashes. I don't know what to do :/...I might have to start over but I Hope not cause I put some work into it :/ All I did was look for the starting over script and nothing else and now all the data is gone. I tried using my old data not like scripts and stuff but trainers. Maybe you can tell me what happened? ok So I just went back and copied the Data from the regular V6 itself but i get this error now can you tell me how to fix it?

Script 'Interpreter' line 276: RuntimeError occurred.

Script error within event 2, map 39 ():

Exception: NameError

Message: (eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'The trainer 'Rival' is not valid. Please add the trainer

to the list of trainer types in the Editor. See the notes for

more information.

***Full script:

pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::Rival,"Dawn",_I("How? How?..."),false,0)

Interpreter:243:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:788:in `eval'

Interpreter:788:in `command_111'

Interpreter:320:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:193:in `update'

Interpreter:106:in `loop'

Interpreter:198:in `update'

Scene_Map:103:in `update'

Scene_Map:101:in `loop'

Last edited:

Pharetra

zzzz
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2024
    Ok. Maruno I've done nothing but. Now the game won't even load for me once I start a new game or battle my rival the thing crashes. I don't know what to do :/...I might have to start over but I Hope not cause I put some work into it :/ All I did was look for the starting over script and nothing else and now all the data is gone. I tried using my old data not like scripts and stuff but trainers. Maybe you can tell me what happened? ok So I just went back and copied the Data from the regular V6 itself but i get this error now can you tell me how to fix it?

Script 'Interpreter' line 276: RuntimeError occurred.

Script error within event 2, map 39 ():

Exception: NameError

Message: (eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'The trainer 'Rival' is not valid. Please add the trainer

to the list of trainer types in the Editor. See the notes for

more information.

***Full script:

pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::Rival,"Dawn",_I("How? How?..."),false,0)

Interpreter:788:in `eval'

Interpreter:788:in `command_111'

Interpreter:320:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:193:in `update'

Interpreter:106:in `loop'

Interpreter:198:in `update'

Scene_Map:103:in `update'

Scene_Map:101:in `loop'
    Maybe actually reading these messages would help...

~Angel~

Lead developer for Pokémon Millennium
    Years
  • Well I did read it but still even though its in there this pops up I don't know what to do :/ Oh and thanks :D You remember me from Youtube?
    I asked some questions for help :P

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    You're not reading the error... "Rival" is not in trainers.txt... It's probably "RIVAL"... Or you haven't added Rival at all into trainers.txt!

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    The Sprite Repositioner (in the External Editor) was one of the things I changed to suit the new screen size. The auto-position calculations were also improved. It's very easy to use, and I assure you it works just fine.

I've been working with this recently, and it's somewhat frustrating. I keep randomly getting this error:

---------------------------
    Pokemon Essentials
    ---------------------------
    Exception: RGSSError
    BitmapCache:318:in `initialize'
    BitmapCache:318:in `initialize'
    SpriteWindow:819:in `new'
    SpriteWindow:819:in `initialize'
    SpriteWindow:815:in `each'
    SpriteWindow:815:in `initialize'
    SpriteWindow:805:in `chdir'
    SpriteWindow:805:in `initialize'
    SpriteWindow:222:in `new'
    SpriteWindow:222:in `initialize'

It can happen when I scroll through a Pokemon, when I select to edit that Pokemon, or when I save the edits. It's happened on a number of Pokemon sporadically, and when I reloaded the editor and tried again, it'll work fine on the Pokemon it crashed on. It may also crash on a Pokemon it didn't crash on previously.

I AM using P-Sign's animated sprites/BW pack, but that doesn't modify the scripts, so... Is there anything you can say about this?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back