• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Flight Speed

Moltres Rider

Banned
Years
  • How fast would Pokémon fly? what would their flight speed be reduced to with a rider on its back? an average bird flies about 20 MPH according to Google. I think Pokémon may be faster because they are bigger than real birds. especially Dragon Pokémon.

I typically RP Articuno, Moltres, & Zapdos flying 45 MPH with riders and up to 60 MPH without riders

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • I think Pokemon are generally faster than normal birds. The fastest bird as far as we know is Swellow, with a base 125 speed I guess it may do about 200mph, which is ridiculously fast. I heard from the D/P/Pt Pokedex Entry that Skarmory is known to reach speeds of between 180 and 190mph, despite being coated in steel armor.

Edit: If we compare the two I'd think Skarmory would fare much better with a person on its back, as it is more than twice as heavy as Swellow, and therefore Skarmory won't be bothered too much by a speed reduction, but we could do a bit of math if we really want to find out.

Last edited:
    Years
  • While I don't think it has anything to do with them being bigger than regular birds, I would still expect them to be faster as most Pokemon are better than regular animals anyway. And I can't say as I'm an expert in speed of birds and the like, I wouldn't be surprised if your guess for those like Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres is pretty close.

Boilurn said:
    The fastest bird as far as we know is Swellow, with a base 125 speed I guess it may do about 200mph, which is ridiculously fast. I heard from the D/P/Pt Pokedex Entry that Skarmory is known to reach speeds of between 180 and 190mph, despite being coated in steel armor.
    I don't think that Pokedex entries should ever be trusted, so I doubt that a heavily armored bird could get to that speed without mechanical assistance. Swellow, though, could very well reach speeds of 200 mph, seeing as the peregrine falcon can hit that or even top it while diving to hunt prey.

Last edited:

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    My Pokemon fly me across the Poke world in a couple seconds. The problem with this, it takes the same time to fly any distance, making it possible to calculate a velocity.

Gfx

╰☆╮You're Perfect ❤
    Years
  • It's all about size. Your 3 legendary birds would probably not lose any speed at all. 150 pounds would be nothing to a huge bird. Also, to who said that a PokeDex entry can't be trusted. That is sort of the base of the Pokemon. That's the facts, and our stuff is all based on opinions and what we have learned off other information. I think Pokemon are probably pretty fast. Swellow can probably reach up to more like 300 miles per hour. They are basically all Animals on 'Roids.

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
    Years
  • If Pokédex entries are to be believed, Pidgeot can fly at Mach 2, which is over 1,500 mph. Haha, yeah right! And I don't think Pidgeot has the fastest flight speed either.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Staraptor would have to be one of the fastest bird Pokémon anime-wise. Ash's Staraptor was able to perform movies such as Aerial Ace in a blink of an eye, which was very impressive. Not only that, it was very powerful as well. Latias and Latios are also quite fast.

Game-wise, Swellow is the fastest. Its maximum Speed stat is three hundred and eighty-three, and it's able to become even faster after the use of Agility. Lugia is the second fastest Pokémon, who has a total Speed stat of three hundred and fifty. It doesn't have access to Agility, but it can learn Tailwind, though, which can double its Speed for three straight turns. ^^"

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    Well the fastest legendary would be Latios or Latias but Genesect I think has the most speed than any poke. Probably 150mph speed

Genesect barely makes the top 100 fastest Pokemon, with a measly Speed stat of 99. Speed Forme Deoxys is the fastest, closely followed by Ninjask (who could maybe be considered generally faster with his Speed Boost ability).

... Which would mean Ninjask is the fastest Flying-Type, but I don't think he'd be carrying any passengers.

It's all about size. Your 3 legendary birds would probably not lose any speed at all. 150 pounds would be nothing to a huge bird.

Except that none of the legendary birds break 150 pounds themselves.

Orifiel

Priestess
    Years
  • According to the Pokedex Entry.
    Latios can fly at Speed of a Jet. So, I believe Legendary Pokemon
    like Latios can fly at the fastest rate of any flying Pokemon. But
    they said that Genesect is the fastest one around so.. we have a winner.

Years
  • If Pokédex entries are to be believed, Pidgeot can fly at Mach 2, which is over 1,500 mph. Haha, yeah right! And I don't think Pidgeot has the fastest flight speed either.

OMG yes. This. If Mach 2 corresponds to a 91 base speed, then speed Deoxys must travel through time.

Name

Moémon Master
    Years
  • I did some math and made a chart, NASA offered to help me with it!
    Pokémon Flight Speed

As you can see, 1 speed stat is equal to about 5mph.
    Pokemon have incredible power, even the weakest ones.
    A level 100 pidgey can easily reach mach 1.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    As you can see, 1 speed stat is equal to about 5mph.
    Pokemon have incredible power, even the weakest ones.
    A level 100 pidgey can easily reach mach 1.

Careful with that, though. If we assume mathematically that 1 speed point equals 5mph, then Slowpoke can outspeed a cheetah, running hilariously fast at 75mph. Given the context I don't think the Speed stat would calculate linearly; maybe it'd work as some sort of exponential curve? Pokedex entries are a little wonky to go off of, too. According to the Pokedex Tyranitar is literally invincible, and Magikarp can leap over mountains. Pidgeot's Mach 2 thing may be a bit exaggerated, or at least only apply in certain situations.

Name

Moémon Master
    Years
  • I trust pokedex entries and stats because I have no other way to gauge how pokemon perform.
    Even in the anime all kindsa pokemon get speed blurs going on.

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
    Years
  • Careful with that, though. If we assume mathematically that 1 speed point equals 5mph, then Slowpoke can outspeed a cheetah, running hilariously fast at 75mph.

Haha, this is ridiculously awesome! :P

According to the Pokédex, dragonite can circle the globe in 16 hours; you can calculate a speed there if you want. (We know the Dex has some outlandish information, but I think this is more believable than the Mach 2 thing.) Maybe compare this to the pidgeot speed and at least get some sort of scale?

However, I don't think the Speed stat has a very strong correlation with actual flight/running speed. I remember a thread about purugly running faster than dragonite flies, based purely on the Speed stat. I believe that the stat strictly refers to attacking speed, as in how quickly a pokémon can fire off an attack. If that's so, then you can't accurately estimate flight speed just from the stat.

Years
  • Genesect barely makes the top 100 fastest Pokemon, with a measly Speed stat of 99. Speed Forme Deoxys is the fastest, closely followed by Ninjask (who could maybe be considered generally faster with his Speed Boost ability).

... Which would mean Ninjask is the fastest Flying-Type, but I don't think he'd be carrying any passengers.

Except that none of the legendary birds break 150 pounds themselves.
    Wow I never thought you will be asking in consideration of Pokemon Game stats. I just saw the movie and it was really fast in there so I thought that it was fastest

Back