• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Pokémon General Daily Chit-Chat. Join in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Sneak Sableye

Bright Beauty ♥
    Years
    I've only ever breached into gold/silver adventures, but then when Borders closed down, that was the only bookstore in town. I see they're decently prices on Amazon, maybe I'll try to buy them again one day

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    The manga are getting hard to find, indeed. I remember a place where I bought three volumes a few years ago, the word 'Pokémon' doesn't even ring a bell to the bookkeeper. Oh, are we trying to change the subject? *rubs head* here goes...

Since Generation IV, we've been able to carry the whole world on our backpack. Well, it does stop at a huge limit, but still. Doesn't that feel a little odd? But the problem is having a limited bag could've gotten real annoying as it was in the older games. I just don't know which side to take.

Chocolate™

Awesome Dragon
    Years
    Since Generation IV, we've been able to carry the whole world on our backpack. Well, it does stop at a huge limit, but still. Doesn't that feel a little odd? But the problem is having a limited bag could've gotten real annoying as it was in the older games. I just don't know which side to take.

Well that makes it really easy as a pokemon gamer I mean. Hey, I can carry 99 Max Repels and a huge amount of other stuff. It's helpful but for the people who want pokemon to be a bit more sensible, iut's really a nightmare. But yeah think how a 10-14 year old kid can carry a 1000 pounds of stuff excluding the Pokedex which by itself must be around a pound.

Infernape

fire power!
    Years
    Well, from all the games they look like pokeballs, and those balls can be compressed. I'm guessing the item balls or capsules are the same way.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
    I can't stand Gens 1 and 2 because of how limited your bag space was. Gen. 3 was okay but it still got annoying later in the game. The pros outweigh the cons. It doesn't make sense how our bags have access to hammerspace but it would be cool to have one of those bags irl :P

Years
    Just like everything else in their world, it can only be explained as Pokémon logic. Granted, as I get older I wouldn't mind some restrictions like having limited bag space (adds another degree of difficulty), but I know younger me was frustrated by the limited space in early games. Still, I need to get me one of those backpacks in real life, though I imagine it'd be a hassle to find anything.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    The bag limit was often annoying for me in gen 2, and really, we have so many items now that imposing a limit now would be frustrating imo. (And Pokemon has never been about managing items or much challenge either). Maybe a bottomless bag is less realistic, but then this is Pokémon (hardly realistic to begin with), and I much prefer not having to juggle items.

I like the notion that there are item capsules much like Poké balls too. Especially seeing a bunch of items are found in poke ball like objects in the games.

Platina Berlitz

Pure bliss
    Years
    I like the sections of the bag/purse now. It was always frustrating in generation one to fine a tm/hm but your bag was full, so you had to double back to place things in the PC

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I find it pretty annoying in gen V when there are so many compartments to keep track of xD In gen I, I usually sorted the items myself in the bag, after what type of items they were and how often I used them. OCD.

But I agree, it became so annoying when the bag was full. Doesn't happen often in newer games, right?

I also hated that you couldn't immediately see the name of a TM move without booting it up in the older generations. Made it a game of chance when you went shopping for one. At least before you realized you could search it up on the internet, derp :]

In other news, Flareon is such an awesome pokémon. Fire type, fluffy, big cute paws... I think it's my new favorite. Couldn't care less about how well/badly it fares in competitive gameplay.

Years
    I also hated that you couldn't immediately see the name of a TM move without booting it up in the older generations. Made it a game of chance when you went shopping for one. At least before you realized you could search it up on the internet, derp :]

1. ^This..

In other news, Flareon is such an awesome pokémon. Fire type, fluffy, big cute paws... I think it's my new favorite. Couldn't care less about how well/badly it fares in competitive gameplay.

2. Good for you! It's nice to see people have an original favourite, and not just for it's stats.

3. Anyone who remembers the pain of switching boxes in the first Gens?

Years
    I find it pretty annoying in gen V when there are so many compartments to keep track of xD In gen I, I usually sorted the items myself in the bag, after what type of items they were and how often I used them. OCD.

But I agree, it became so annoying when the bag was full. Doesn't happen often in newer games, right?

Yeah I remember playing Ruby and I couldn't store everything in my bag, and I had to stuff things into the PC. I was glad they changed that in later generations because now I can have all my essential items on hand when I need them.

And yeah, I agree with you on the TMs part as well. It always annoyed me back then, but what annoyed me even more was the fact they used to be one-use items. Having them reusable is one of the reasons I loved 5th Gen, because you could basically swap your moves around when you need it.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    3. Anyone who remembers the pain of switching boxes in the first Gens?
    OH GOD YES. If you didn't have a free box, you couldn't capture pokémon, or how was it? It was really annoying, anyways. Always got to remember to have free space on your PC. So redundant. :p They changed that in third gen though, right?
    And yeah, I agree with you on the TMs part as well. It always annoyed me back then, but what annoyed me even more was the fact they used to be one-use items. Having them reusable is one of the reasons I loved 5th Gen, because you could basically swap your moves around when you need it.
    Actually, I think that makes the game too easy, haha. Choosing really carefully what pokémon to give your TM to was part of the challenge!

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
    I found out the hard way that you had to automatically change boxes in order to catch a Pokémon -_- I never really try to catch them all in the older games anyways because I can't take them anywhere past G/S/C.

I see Flareon made its way into the title :P

Years
    OH GOD YES. If you didn't have a free box, you couldn't capture pokémon, or how was it? It was really annoying, anyways. Always got to remember to have free space on your PC. So redundant. :p They changed that in third gen though, right?

That as well. But whenever you wanted to switch boxes, you had to save, which took forever. So if you wanted to grab pokémon from both boxes and you had to deposit it took for ages. It was fixed/ changed in Gen 3 I believe.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I see Flareon made its way into the title :P

I really like Flareon, though. It's cute. :]

Anyway, I personally haven't captured much Pokémon in G/S/C. The largest amount of Pokémon that I managed to get a hold of in these games would be fifty, if I remember correctly. I did want to complete my Pokédex once, but then I lost motivation. Haha.

Years
    I found out the hard way that you had to automatically change boxes in order to catch a Pokémon -_- I never really try to catch them all in the older games anyways because I can't take them anywhere past G/S/C.

I heard about the early generations having you required to change boxes before catching a Pokemon. I was glad they changed all that in 3rd Gen because man if we still had that mechanic today it would be a nightmare.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    That as well. But whenever you wanted to switch boxes, you had to save, which took forever. So if you wanted to grab pokémon from both boxes and you had to deposit it took for ages. It was fixed/ changed in Gen 3 I believe.

This was a part of exploiting a glitch to catch any Pokémon in RBY, so I've got some respect for that XD

So many things are becoming more unlimited, I wonder when we can carry more than six Pokémon in a team XD

But yes, from Gen III onwards, the PC got a revamp. You could rename Boxes, change backgrounds and depositing Pokémon would even heal them.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Wobbuffet and Flareon? They're okay to me, but I prefer Vaporeon, Espeon, and Leafeon over Flareon.

My favourite Psychic-types are Alakazam, Exeggutor, Starmie, Reuniclus, Sigilyph, and female Meowstic.

Years
    Okay, if there's one thing that I don't miss from the older games, is only being able to keep 15 Pokemon in a box, and going through the hassle of switching between them (though, I don't mind admitting that I used the cloning exploit in Gold caused by this process). And just think- when we eventually get Pokemon bank, we'll be able to access over 3000 Pokemon at a time with minimal effort, rather than the 15 (+6) of yesteryear.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back