• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Go Version

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
Years
  • I don't know if this is something I'll pursue myself -since I've already had several ideas on what to do for my first hack- but I still wanted to get the idea out there.

Since Pokémon Go has taken the world by storm, I was thinking of a more traditional version of it. The mechanics of Go wouldn't be implemented (Two moves, catching several of the same species, lack of trainer battles) unless there was an appealing way of doing it. Still, Stardust and Candies can still be included as ways to power up Pokémon.
    For Starter Pokémon, I'd like to see the player have to catch it themselves like in Go utilizing the Safari Zone mechanic of battling. I guess technically, if one wanted to make the game exactly like Go, we could restrict wild Pokémon battles to just the Safari Zone way (player vs. Pokémon) but for a full length game with a story, that might not work. Now if we were doing something smaller and just adding a story to the elements of Go, then it might be plausible.

The story could involve saving Gyms from the three Teams, having the option of being a part of one Team, or even three different versions from each Team's point of view.

Any thoughts?

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2019
    In my humble opinion, I don't think this would really be to great of a game. My reasoning behind that is that the majority of people enjoy Pokemon GO for different reasons than "game mechanics". I'm not saying someone shouldn't make this, by all means the more rom hacks the better! However, I am saying that I don't personally seeing it working too well on the gba platform.
    On a side note though, I think a Pokemon GO full-on mod for GTA would be amazing. Imagine replacing every NPC in GTA with a pokemon? Maybe half Go, half Stadium/Colosseum. I think I speak for everyone when I say we'd all prefer the battling from the latter.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2022
    Just to put this out there, this idea IS plausible but the amount of work would depend.
    First idea: ASM
    Spoiler:

Second idea: A LOT of scripts on the map
    Spoiler:

Summary:
    Plausible: Yes. Lots of scripts: YES. Lots of time to finish: Yep.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • The one thing I like about Go that I think could be brought over is that Pokemon that are normally caught, insta-boxed, and then ran from from that point on are desired and ground up into candy. That 1000th Pidgey is still something you want to catch.

I could see a facility that allows you to give up Pokemon in exchange for rare items or an intermediary currency used to buy from their vendor. Hell, maybe your regional Professor wants to study Pokemon behavioral variations or something and encourages you to bring him or her as many as you can in exchange for whatever. The rewards would have to be good, but not so good that the postgame or midgame becomes mulching hordes of Pidgey in exchange for disproportionately powerful items or services. Each Pokemon could be assigned a value for the exchange so that mulching a Dragonite gives more currency than mulching a Drowzee, and one-offs would be refused.

You could use an exchange system like this to do more than just items. I could see this becoming a cool minigame or sidequest on its own if some interesting events or areas are tied to how many or what Pokemon you've handed over.

Unfortunately, I don't think much else from Go would translate well to a traditional Pokemon game. Perhaps the Stardust currency could be made into an IV booster or something.

Back