• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Legends: Arceus] Pokémon Legends Arceus

Years

• A new open-world Pokémon game set in the feudal Sinnoh region was announced! Will you be buying this game? What do you think of the style? What was your reaction seeing it?

Last edited:

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • Remind me of Horizon Zero Dawn rolling and sneaking around in tall bushes.
    Not sure if I'll get it but we will get around to it when more news on it get released over 2021!

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
    Years
  • Seems like a clever way to do the arceus event by making it its own game seems like it's a prequel of sorts to diamond and pearl. I'm cool with it

Years
  • I have to wonder if the two player characters are somehow related to Dawn and Lucas

or maybe it is Dawn and Lucas and i just missed that bit

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
    Years
  • I have to wonder if the two player characters are somehow related to Dawn and Lucas

or maybe it is Dawn and Lucas and i just missed that bit

Maybe dawn and Lucas great great great great great grandparents also named dawn and Lucas 😂 nurse joy style

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I am fearful of this game. It looks amazing, but the world just seems so very empty. I need to know more info if I am going to buy it.

If there is a decent story and something to do like normal games, I think it will be amazing. But if we are literally just going out and catching pokemon, what is the point of paying for it? It would get so repetitive.... time consuming and the catching mechanics just makes me think I am gonna end up rage quitting because I can't catch a Stary that is moving with 80 pokeballs.

Years
  • Those stutters and lags during the game presentation were awful.

Otherwise I'm really corcern about this game. I like that GF is trying something new, but it's GF, so I expect the worst. The world so far looked really empty and if all you can do is catch Pokémon (which looked actually kinda interesting) and battle with them (which looked a lot better than in previous Switch games), I can't really see myself enjoying it for more than 5 minutes. Hope there is a bigger and better story with Arceus.

But it looked a lot more interesting than DP remakes.

pkmin3033

I am dreading this. I did not enjoy Breath of the Wild at all - it was a soulless, empty mess with some terrible gameplay mechanics, and it has been unjustly lauded as one of the better games to come out this side of the 2000s...but it's just another open world game capitalising on the trend that has been around for YEARS now. All because it's got "Zelda" in its title. And as a brand, Pokemon sells a LOT more than Zelda, so the potential for disaster here is much greater. It's very clear from this that TPC is trying to mimic the critical success of BOTW, but the problem with this is that Pokemon is a completely different genre and Game Freak just don't have the ability to do the concept justice. When something looks too good to be true, it often is, and this is coming from the same developers that made Pokemon Sword and Shield.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest this is going to be any better. It will probably be worse, becaue the scale will be that much greater, and there is going to be either a lot of empty space or a lot of slowdown due to poor optimisation...or both. Most likely both. If this was handled by any other developer, I'd have a little more optimism, because other developers treat Pokemon with care and respect - you only have to look at Bandai Namco's New Pokemon Snap to see that. But this is Game Freak, the company who have repeatedly churned out bad games for god knows how many years now. Them giving the illusion that they're changing the dyanmic of the series by adding more open world mechanics that they have no idea how to implement properly isn't going to make the series better. Open world does not automatically mean a game is good, and the illusion of freedom is often just that - an illusion. Linearity is present in all video games that have goals and progression; just because you spend hours running around in an empty space to find something you would have found much earlier on a streamlined route doesn't mean you're more free, or that the gameplay is any less restrictive. Worst case scenario is that this entire game is the Wild Area...and that's not entirely unrealistic, because irrespective of quality, Pokemon sells. Why take your time and allocate the proper resources to something when you can allocate less and still rake in disturbing amounts of revenue?

I will concede for now that there isn't enough to go on to condemn this to the same pit as other mediocre open world titles, but...well, looking at the track record of the company behind it, and the slew of rubbish open world titles that have plagued the industry for years now, it doesn't fill me with confidence. Game Freak have been shoehorning gimmicks without properly expanding upon them since Gen VI, and there are so many they can throw into a title like this which will make it substantially worse. It's going to be one hell of a long and exhausting ride between now and release...

Catto

♫•*¨*•.¸¸♪ ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    Years
  • I'm actually afraid of it. xD
    Everyone has already spoken the essentials here: empty space, made by GF, etc

I also hate the washed out colors...what's with game freak and their lack of colour perception? =S
    But anyways, this might be just a way to introduce the Arceus Event and a way of getting more money from pokémon Home as well. I hope the correct the emptiness along the way, it's really disturbing. There's not much to say in terms of plot yet =S

Last edited:

Bug

[b][color=white][font=Luminari]can't talk. i'm shi
    Years
  • I think the choppy frame rate has potential for some sick animations, but I haven't seen anything in the trailer that hits that mark yet. Hoping that what we saw was just a rough draft of the final graphics. The game concept sounds really amazing though!

Years
    • Seen today
    To be honest, I'm more excited for this than for Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl. In fact, when I saw this at first, I thought it WAS Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl.

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
    Years
  • I came here to say something, but it seems Dawn has covered it all. Everyone has wanted open world Pokemon for years, but I've always felt like that it was just a bad trend. Open world is already hard enough to pull off, and for a studio like Game Freak that can barely keep up with making RPGs nowadays? I will be watching very cautiously, because there is so much space for this to go wrong.

But being optimistic, there's also potential for it to go right; for it to be something that restores even a little bit of hope in Game Freak after all these years. But honestly, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I'm way, way more excited for this than the other ones. We'll see if they can pull it off but I do really love botw and have wanted things like catching and battles in the overworld for a while! Hype

Years
  • I'm scared they'll botch it, but I do have more hope than some of you. If it ends up awful, I'll worry about it then. In the meantime, I'll keep the faith 😊

I'm not actually much of an open world fan to be totally honest, but Pokemon is perfect for it. I will admit though, it sure does look empty right now...

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I kinda like the presentation? The world actually feels alive, while the battles look good from the trailer alone. Graphics and framerate aside, Gamefreak outdid themselves on the feel of the world and overworld combat. And the concept of "Inventing the Sinnoh Pokedex in feudal Japan" already has my attention. And the fact that it's due in 2022? Consider me intrigued Gamefreak 🤔
    Kinda wanna see some samurai since it's feudal Japan

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • giphy.gif

I'll come out and say it immediately. There's over a year until this game comes out, it's the very first announcement, and people are already saying it'll be bad because the framerate in the reveal trailer looks bad. We've still got a long time waiting for it, things can change. It's an open world game on the Switch, I don't think it's gonna be perfectly smooth and run like butter.

Now that that's out.
    I adore the concept. I'm so glad that it looks like they're willing to go out and try something new again after you could argue they went back to the same formula in Sword and Shield by doing things like re-adding gyms. It's a fantastic breath of fresh air and open-world Pokemon is something I'm surprised they haven't tried doing yet. I don't enjoy the trend of Nintendo making their series open world because they're getting stale, but if anything could benefit the most from it, it's Pokemon. But since it's an open-world game, it's going to have a lot of the same issues the genre has for some people. It'd either be too big or too small depending on your tastes, could feel empty, or stuff like that. But honestly? It's way too early to tell.
    To me, it seemed like the Wild Area was their approach at making open world Pokemon but being too scared to actually make that change, and now that Legends exist, it makes me feel like the wild area was just their warm-up for it. Like they were just waiting for something bigger and this was it.

The setting is nice. The idea of going into the past is something Pokemon's never really done (correct me if I'm wrong) but Sinnoh being rich in mythology and history makes it the best region to do that in. I'm curious where Arceus and the other legendaries will come in, likely into the game's story, so I'm excited to see that.

My hopes? This is feudal Sinnoh, and I hope they're not using that excuse to just make it look super different as if it's a new region. It's still Sinnoh, it should still look like Sinnoh. I want there to be more recognizable areas than just "Here's Mt. Coronet in the middle!".

Besides that, super excited to hear more news on it. A game like this makes me happy to be a Pokemon fan because announcing it along with the DP remakes shows they keep going with the series formula, but are also willing to do something new and hey, they're at least somewhat listening to fans, right?

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2021
    I am super excited for this one! The Sinnoh remakes I'll most likely skip. The last mainline Pokemon game I've played was Pokemon X. They've just not been a draw for me enough to buy them.

However, the Legends: Arceus game has me all sorts of excited! An open world Pokemon game is exactly something I want to try, *especially* because it's set in the past. I'm a huge fan of stories set in Medieval era, feudal Japan, etc so that alone means I'll buy this one.

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2021
    Looks promising, my biggest gripe with it is that they are STILL using the 3D spites from gen 6, from 10 years ago. If they could update the sprites, this would be a sell for me.

I actually really like the feudal Japan looking setup they have, very down to earth.

Back