• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ruby hack: Pokémon Light & Darkness

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2012
    Originally born as a Gold hack under the name Pokémon Bluesky (you can see pics of the original hack here). I decided to restart it as a hack of Sapphire (with the same concepts, story, characters and places) because it would work way better this way.

Pokémon Light & Darkness

This hack is gonna come separated in two parts: Path of a Hero and The Dark Path. Basically they're two viewpoints of the same story with a different protagonist each one. The theme of the hack will be the fight between good and evil. In PoaH you're gonna be a hero and play as Nick, and in TDP you're gonna be a villain and play as Chris. Nick and Chris will be antagonists, and they cross their paths many times during the story. Each one will represent the side of the game (Light or Darkness). S&D will be more story-based than the original Pokémon games.
    This hack is a prequel to Sunshine and a sequel to New Journey, but the gameplay will be very different. Read further to know more about the gameplay.
    Note: Before judging the graphics of the game, PLEASE check the zip file that I attached. They're the original screenshots with their original colors (Photobucket changes the colors of the png pics when I upload them). You may not notice the difference at firsts, but the contrast of the colors in the original pics is better and the pics look more beautifuly (for example, Photobucket's recoloring makes the shadows of the clouds too dark). Plus there's a extra screenshot in the zip file that I didn't upload to Photobucket because the recoloring really ruins it.

Pokémon Light & Darkness

Here are Nick and Chris, and the logotype of the game. They're sporting different outfits to the ones of the screenshots because the above sprites are from Sunshine (I haven't created their trainer sprites for this hack yet). Here Nick will sport his original outfit of New Journey, and Chris will sport a Rocket outfit (minus the cap). You can see here their orginal outfits:
    Pokémon Light & Darkness

Here I will talk about each of the parts individually:

Pokémon Ligh & Darkness: Path of a Hero
    First, some backstory about Nick. Basically the story of New Journey is: Nick received his first Pokémon from Prof. Oak (who was visiting Sunny City, Nick's residence) and started his journey as a Pokémon Trainer. He traveled through Minto (the region of New Journey), collected Gym badges and won the Minto Pokémon League. A few days later, he traveled to North Minto to collect more badges and win the Pokémon League of North Minto. In his path, he learned about one of the Team Rocket's evil plots, stopped them and defeated them. Then he won the North Minto's Pokémon League and became famous in all the region.
    Yep. A classical story of a Pokémon Trainer. However, Ligh & Darkess will have a more original story.

Here is a resume of the start of the story in L&D. (Sorry if the way that I narrate the part of the story stinks, I still have to improve my English)
    Just some weeks after his journey in Minto, Nick is prepared to start a completly new adventure in the region of Sixto. After saying goodbye to his mom and his friends, Nick took a train to Sixto.
    After some hours, he arrived Rainbow City, a town in the south area of Sixto. In the Pokémon Center, he received a call from Prof. Oak, who had been informed about Nick traveling to Sixto. Prof. Oak asked Nick if he heard the news of yesterday, Nick answered no. Then the Prof. Oak told him about the Sapphire Scientific Research Center (located in Sapphire City, north part of Sixto) where scientists are studying the genes of the Pokémons recently had been working in creating new species of Pokémons, using information from the research realized by the scientists who created Mewtwo. Then he told Nick that a old colleage of him works in it, and asked if he would be willing, once he reached Sapphire City, to help him by catching certains Pokémon. Nick said yes. Then Prof. Oak wished him good luck, and ended the call. Then, Nick headed to the next town, Opal City.
    In the path, a guy came running and asking for help. Nick asked what is wrong, and the guy pointed at a trainer clothed in black who just came behing him saying: "He is a thief! He wants to steal my Pokémons!". Then the trainer in black told Nick to not butt in, but Nick told him to leave, holding with his hand one of his Pokéballs. Then the trainer in black took one of his Pokéballs too, and told him in a challenging tone that he isn't afraid to fight him. But before none of them would send one of his Pokémon, a policeman, who heard the yells, came and asked what is wrong. The trainer in black told Nick: "Next time you cross in my path you won't be so lucky", then threw a smoke ball and disappeared. Then the policeman (who hadn't a chance to see well the trainer in black) asked Nick and the other trainer what happened, and then asked them to give him descriptions his look.

A while later, Nick reached Opal City and went to the Pokémon Center. But as he entered, he saw that everyone (even the nurse) were concentrated watching the television. Then Nick watched silenciously. There was someone reporting about a dangerous thief who broke into the Sapphire Scientific Research Center and stealed important documents and destroyed the experiments -therefore killing the Pokémons created with genetical engineering-. Nick was shocked that someone would do something like that, but what came next socked him even more. They said that the cameras recorded the thief, and then starting showing the recording: there was a trainer clothed in red who came and kicked some tables many experiments. Then he turned back and left his face exposed to the camera: he looked exactly identical to Nick! There was no doubt, that was his face! Before Nick would recover from the shock, they put a photo of Nick and said: "The thief has been identified as Nicholas, a trainer from Minto who won the two Pokémon Leagues of the region. His residence used to be Sunny City, in Minto. But is believed that he is hiding somewhere in Sixto. Do not approach him. He is dangerous and has very strong Pokémons. If you see him, it is requested that you call your local law enforcement agency and report the sighting". Finally recovered from the shock, Nick left quickly but silenciously the Pokémon Center. He was lucky that nobody had seen him when he entered.

Outside, Nick hide behind a bush in case that someone of the people who saw the news came and saw him, and sit to think over: There was no doubt the thief in the recording was him. He sported the same clothes as Nick and had exactly the same face. The only way that that was possible is that someone in the Research Center edited the recording. But why would someone frame him? Then suddenly he realised that he had to leave Opal City as soon as possible, because there was no doubt that the policeman who saw him some hours ago was gonna report the sighting, and there was going to be many policemans looking for him through all the area. There was only one thing that he could do: head to Sapphire City and found out who framed him.

Basically that's the start of Nick's story. He will be a fugitive in his path to Sapphire City. But that doesn't mean that all the game will be like this and that it will end once he reaches Sapphire City. No, that's only the first part of the game. There will be plot twists, and the story will eventually become about a war between good and evil.

The gameplay will be heavily affected by the story. There won't be Gyms. Instead, the game will be about Nick's story in Sixto. You will not have to travel throught the world to collect certain elementes like in the Pokémon games (where you collect badges), Zelda games (where you have to collect certain magical objects to save the world) or many RPGs. Instead the gameplay will be more similar to RPGs like Shining Force, with a story 0% predictable.

---------------------------------------

Pokémon Ligh & Darkness: The Dark Path
    Chris' relatives were part of the Team Rocket, until they died during a mission. That happened when Chris was only a little kid. So he was raised by one of the members of the Team Rocket, and lived in the Rocket headquarters in Sixto. So he has been a member of the team during almost all his life.
    Yes, there's much more about the story, but I won't spoil anything else.

The story of TDP starts some time before the story of PoaH. The gameplay will be very different from the other version of the game. During the first part of the game, you will live in the headquarters of the Team Rocket (naturally only Rocket members will know the location of the headquarters, so this place will be only accesible by Chris, not Nick). You even will have your own room there, and live with other members.
    You only will leave the headquarters when you're assingned to a mission. Most of the missions will be in groups, and they can take place in any city or place of Sixto. After proving that you're worthy, they will assign you solo missions. Sometimes they will let you go out of the headquarters for a limited ammount of time to do whatever you want.
    That will be only the first part of the game.

Here is a picture of Chris's room:
    Pokémon Light & Darkness

That isn't a real screenshot of the game, but a picture that I made in Paint using graphics of FR/LG since I have yet to create the graphics of the Rocket Headquarters.

---------------------------------------

Both game will have the same world. However, there will be places that only are accesibles in a certain version. Also the gameplay and the order that you visit the cities will be completly different, and there are features exclusive from each game. Basically, it will feel like two completly different games.

And one of the features exclusive of this hack (that will be present in both versions) will be a unique system of day/night:
    Pokémon Light & Darkness

This one won't be time-based like the system of GSC. Instead, you can change it whenever you want. To do that, you must do something that is considered as something that consumes enough time in-game to change the time of day. The most usual method to make the time flow is beating a dungeon. It doesn't matter if it is a dungeon that you already beat, as long as you reach the area considered the "final room".
    There will be five times of the day: Day, Evening, Night, Dawn and Morning. NEARLY ALL the NPCs will be affected by the time of the day, so there will be events exclusive of each time of the day. So the changes will be bigger than in GSC.
    Also unlike GSC, the areas won't be differenced merely by a palette change. Instead, the graphics and event parts of the map may change. Graphically, day, evening and morning will be very similar, but thay may have subtle changes. Same with Night and Dawn.
    The downside is that the gaphical changed will applied only to cities. The routes will always look the same, not matter what time of the day is. However, the events will still change according to the time in the routes as much as in the cities.
    Technically I could make the graphics of the routes change according to the time of the day, too. But it wouldn't be convenient, because with this system I have to create two maps for each area that changes graphically according to the time. I prefer to use the maps to create new areas instead.

I will probably release demos of this hack before than any other because I don't need to spend so much work in this hack as most of the others. But that doesn't mean than the quality and gameplay will be worse - it won't. Is only that my other hacks require more complex scripting thant this one.

Last edited:
    Years
    Wow... mastermew od samego początku myślałem że jesteś najlepszy, i nie myliłem się, naprawde, mogę powiedzieć że twój hack teraz rządzi! Kontynuj go, napisze o tym newsa na jednej stronie o pokemonach, bo jest o czym.

Very Great HACK!

Years
    Wow... mastermew od samego początku myślałem że jesteś najlepszy, i nie myliłem się, naprawde, mogę powiedzieć że twój hack teraz rządzi! Kontynuj go, napisze o tym newsa na jednej stronie o pokemonach, bo jest o czym.

Please speak English, as this is an English forum.

Hey, can I help you with mapping? Anyway, great hack.

MasterMew usually does his hacks alone.

These look great MasterMew! Glad to see you are back.

Years
    blast said:

Very Great HACK!
    Please speak in English since not all of here understand Polish. Thank you.

ace675

Game Tester/Beta Tester
    Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2012
    10/10 great hack i like the maps you made it a new journy not those same boring journys which you knjow where to go and what to do great job

Sharanza

Returning: Platinum Silver
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2007
    welcome back mastermew
    btw your hack is awesome

Years
    I've got a question. In this hack will b new houses or you won't change their? btw.. welcome back mastermew.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back