• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon: Liquid Crystal [3.3.xxxxx Live Beta]

Years
  • Seen Jan 6, 2014
am i supposed to see something here? there is nothing in your post and i tried to see it in compatability view and also refreshed...

Maxim

Heavy Metal Alchemist
Years
Wouldn't the game be simply better without all those forced self-made rivals like "Zane"? All those rivals do is popping out in the least expected moments and delaying your progress in story. Not to mention that they don't fit the world at all, they feel like a forced, useless addition. Also, why does this new rival battle the player before he gets to see Mr. Pokemon. That makes him the first battled player in the game. Why him and not Silver - THE rival of this story? This makes no sense.

I don't really care about fan GSC remakes all that much anymore but it's really outraging to see that most of them share the same failure. Those annoying self-made rivals were one of Zel's biggest mistakes in his Shiny Gold.

And if those rivals are incarnation of the author and/or his friends then they should be put into an optional Game Freak-like place, not scattered all over the world, if the author DESPERATELY wants to put them in the hack.

Annoying "new rivals", who don't fit the canonical world of Kanto/Johto at all, have ugly sprites (usually) and overpowered Pokemon teams only crowd the game and make it worse. There are much better ways to make a hack more exciting and original than just crowding it with dozens of unneeded battles with forced "rivals". Don't make the same errors as Zel!

linkandzelda

Ex-rom hacker turned indie game developer
Years
Wouldn't the game be simply better without all those forced self-made rivals like "Zane"? All those rivals do is popping out in the least expected moments and delaying your progress in story. Not to mention that they don't fit the world at all, they feel like a forced, useless addition. Also, why does this new rival battle the player before he gets to see Mr. Pokemon. That makes him the first battled player in the game. Why him and not Silver - THE rival of this story? This makes no sense.

I don't really care about fan GSC remakes all that much anymore but it's really outraging to see that most of them share the same failure. Those annoying self-made rivals were one of Zel's biggest mistakes in his Shiny Gold.

And if those rivals are incarnation of the author and/or his friends then they should be put into an optional Game Freak-like place, not scattered all over the world, if the author DESPERATELY wants to put them in the hack.

Annoying "new rivals", who don't fit the canonical world of Kanto/Johto at all, have ugly sprites (usually) and overpowered Pokemon teams only crowd the game and make it worse. There are much better ways to make a hack more exciting and original than just crowding it with dozens of unneeded battles with forced "rivals". Don't make the same errors as Zel!

For the record, I respect your opinions but I think its nice to have some extra events in a hack, something you would never see from Nintendo. After all, theres only about 5 battles from zane in the whole hack, and 4 from axel. Thats an extra 9 battles out of hundreds that don't have a large impact on the hack really compared to the rest of the battles. You could say that about the other trainers in the game that they "delay progress in the story". And another thing, the story would be shorter and the game over much quickly if those rivals didn't exist at all, and would make the hack generic and boring in my opinion.

Theres one thing I had at the back of my mind that you pointed out, zane being the first battled trainer other than Silver. Perhaps I should move his event to happen after Silvers battle.

Also about these extras, they are there to add an extra layer to the existing story. When I didn't have anyone back in the early days of LC I let someone play it, then asked them how far they got after 30 mins. And they said they got bored of the game and stopped playing, told me they would rather play the original Crystal.

Anyway... I like the extra events as it sets the scene for other things.. The extra battles also make things harder at times as you battle new pokemon you didn't expect in that area. You should take that on as a challenge and be intrigued about who they are, rather than find it an annoyance.

UPDATE: I will be moving house in 2 days time, so i plan to start working on LC again in about a week or so from now. Looks like the beta will be later than planned though. I'll do the best I can to release it before i start university on september 26th.

Link

rosebunny

Beta/Grammar Tester - Dr.Rose
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 14, 2013
Sorry are these insert trainers extra or do they replace the normal trainers that were in Crystal

Maxim

Heavy Metal Alchemist
Years
For the record, I respect your opinions but I think its nice to have some extra events in a hack, something you would never see from Nintendo. After all, theres only about 5 battles from zane in the whole hack, and 4 from axel. Thats an extra 9 battles out of hundreds that don't have a large impact on the hack really compared to the rest of the battles. You could say that about the other trainers in the game that they "delay progress in the story". And another thing, the story would be shorter and the game over much quickly if those rivals didn't exist at all, and would make the hack generic and boring in my opinion.

Additional battles barely add anything to the story. If you want to make your hack more exciting then try some scripting or something. Battles aren't hard to add, while scripting requires some real skill.

I'm not against additions in general, I'm against forced rivals who annoyingly approach you in the least expected moments, are blatantly fanmade and don't fit into the canonical world at all. Look at Zel's Shiny Gold. Zel stuffed hundreds of useless characters to his hack, with the most annoying one being Carlos. He was approaching you in practically every single town, his sprite was poorly done (an obvious edit of Noland's sprite), his team was drastically overpowered. His addition felt very random and forced. He was simply annoying, not interesting.

Motherloads of rivals are no good, many previous hacks have proved that.

Also about these extras, they are there to add an extra layer to the existing story. When I didn't have anyone back in the early days of LC I let someone play it, then asked them how far they got after 30 mins. And they said they got bored of the game and stopped playing, told me they would rather play the original Crystal.

Anyway... I like the extra events as it sets the scene for other things.. The extra battles also make things harder at times as you battle new pokemon you didn't expect in that area. You should take that on as a challenge and be intrigued about who they are, rather than find it an annoyance.

As I said, there are better ways to make your hack more original and intriguing that merely adding character-less, oddball rivals. If you really want to amaze your players, try something more technical, like some sidequests or something.

If you want more battles, then adding more Trainers on Routes would work just as well (and it'd be much less annoying).

linkandzelda

Ex-rom hacker turned indie game developer
Years
Additional battles barely add anything to the story. If you want to make your hack more exciting then try some scripting or something. Battles aren't hard to add, while scripting requires some real skill.

I'm not against additions in general, I'm against forced rivals who annoyingly approach you in the least expected moments, are blatantly fanmade and don't fit into the canonical world at all. Look at Zel's Shiny Gold. Zel stuffed hundreds of useless characters to his hack, with the most annoying one being Carlos. He was approaching you in practically every single town, his sprite was poorly done (an obvious edit of Noland's sprite), his team was drastically overpowered. His addition felt very random and forced. He was simply annoying, not interesting.

As I said, there are better ways to make your hack more original and intriguing that merely adding character-less, oddball rivals. If you really want to amaze your players, try something more technical, like some sidequests or something.

If you want more battles, then adding more Trainers on Routes would work just as well (and it'd be much less annoying).

Zane and Axel, are not 'oddball' random battles. They play huge roles in LC, intact Zane plays major roles on the Orange Islands. Oh and telling me to "try some scripting" is rather offensive too me as all the scripts in the hack were made by me so I obviously had tried scripting... Not sure if I should take offence but I did... Just wondering but how much of the hack have you played?

Years
To be honest I like all the things Maxim doesn't like. The rivals make the game more than just a boring GSC remake. Even HG/SS had some new/old things that made it interesting like the Battle Frontier, GB Sounds, Hoenn & Sinnoh Pokemon in Kanto, etc. This ROM Hack has Zane & Axel, Orange Islands, another evil team, getting to be a trainer to battle, etc. I like the new additions, and they make your ROM Hack more exciting.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024

I could just not help myself from laughing at how much you hate rivals for no reason. Maybe you got stuck somewhere in the game and couldn't beat one of them...?

Also this is no place to start ranting about how GSC remakes are failures and such. Try a remake yourself.

I'm terribly sorry but you seem to be repeating yourself blatantly. If this hack is just annoying or boring to you, don't play it, simple as that.. No need to post offensive comments.

@Laz I'll play this sometime, I swear laz.. xD

An idea about a sidequest, Dustdune Island or something. That was in my hack but it's better in yours, imo xD It was a Regigigas event, sending you the map in msn.

Years
hey, this has probably already been asked, but will I be able to play the 2.1 beta save file on the beta 3 game? LaZ, great job! with all the added stuff like zane, team static (so cool btw), the new ledgendaries, changed story, ... I feel like i'm playing a new game, the most fun pokemon game ever! great stuff LaZ, please don't give up! i'd also like some beta testing if i'm welcome, I pay attention to the slightest details, typo's,... Is that still possible or am i one of the many who gets rejected :( anyway, great job!!! <3

ssj

Kanto Legend
Years
I was just wondering if team magmar,aqua or glatic will we involved in the game in anyway?

Years
  • Seen Feb 9, 2012
Don't get offended with what some people say, LaZ, just ignore the haters. There's plenty of people who love what you have done so far, and are eagerly awaiting what we hope will come next, myself included. Keep up the awesome work.

Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2023
hi, I just wanna tell that the games in amazing so far. I would play it again, but I'll wait for the new release. I know it'll be worth waiting :)

Great job!

Years
  • Seen Jan 9, 2016
Umm, Linkandzelda, I was thinking maybe you should... change the Gyarados sprite ? I mean, a Gyarados has a mightiness of a dragon but the sprite of the Gyarados here is a bit...you know, not mighty (?). It's a bit small and Gyarados seems to be rotating to much and looks to be too defensive, which doesn't really fit it's mightiness.

Zeikku™

Johto remaker
Years
Guys, from this week progress will resume as normal. Again, don't give up hope - We have planned a release for this month or next.

Years
Guys, from this week progress will resume as normal. Again, don't give up hope - We have planned a release for this month or next.
thanks for the info! looking forward to playing some more orange islands, will I be able to play 2.1 beta gamesave on the 3.0 beta? if so, how?

Years
Sorry if my previous comment appeared to be 'spam' although I'm not sure how it came across that way but I am glad to see there's still interest in the completion of this masterpiece!

Years
  • Seen Nov 3, 2012
Do you already know when to beta 3.1? I know that in this mieściącu, but I want to know more. Sorry for my English I do not know the language well and I use the interpreter.

Back