• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon: Lost Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Look awesome!

Keep it up, bro.

Thanks!

Introducing the Secret Keeper!

The Secret Keeper is an NPC you encounter early on in the game, although his importance is greater further in when you have more of ONNE to explore. He introduces you to the 'Detective' skill, which helps you uncover hidden locations, items and sometimes even gossip.

Pokémon: Lost Magic

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
    First off, the I like the title, it's unique, but not too wordy, and gives the reader a sense of what the hack is about. I like the attempt to make the thread more appealing with the reddish color, but I implore you to look into css, or other means to make a more creative thread. (Might as well go all the way). You also seem to have either gone off a rom base or inserted tiles. The only problem is, those tiles/rom bases have been a little over done. The point of tile insertion is to give the hack a unique feeling or accomplish something the old tiles couldn't do. Now on to the mapping, the roads have been done in a nice, natural way, while giving enough space to move/navigate for a good median between natural, and square style. Good luck on the hack, I hope it does well. If you have any questions of hacking, or of opinion; please feel free to contact me.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    First off, the I like the title, it's unique, but not too wordy, and gives the reader a sense of what the hack is about. I like the attempt to make the thread more appealing with the reddish color, but I implore you to look into css, or other means to make a more creative thread. (Might as well go all the way). You also seem to have either gone off a rom base or inserted tiles. The only problem is, those tiles/rom bases have been a little over done. The point of tile insertion is to give the hack a unique feeling or accomplish something the old tiles couldn't do. Now on to the mapping, the roads have been done in a nice, natural way, while giving enough space to move/navigate for a good median between natural, and square style. Good luck on the hack, I hope it does well. If you have any questions of hacking, or of opinion; please feel free to contact me.

First of all, thank you for such detailed feedback.

Some of the tiles are overused (maybe not so much now, but they are in plenty of older hacks). I will look in to finding a unique 'common' tree to replace the main one used in my tileset, possibly other mountain tiles too. Many other tiles (like the bridge) I'm very happy with and so they probably won't change. Although tiles are important in drawing people in I don't think they're an immediate necessity though, since if they over-write the originals exactly then the maps won't be messed up.

Thank you for the compliments on my mapping, I really enjoy it so I'm glad they come across well. As to the CSS in my thread - once I have some banners or something I'm sure to change it and make the opening post more visually appealing.

And I shall make sure to seek your opinion on future updates :3.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Wow, this looks great. It's not everyday that we see a hacker with actual skills post something nice. Keep up the good work! :)

digimonqueen

Draco Malfoy's Girlfriend
    Years
    This is AMAZING

this hack looks awesome! can't wait to play it! keep up the good work. oh, and i like how questions determine your starter, and since the Pokedex always bored me, it won't bother me if you don't include it. It will actually be a nice change from the usual "gotta catch 'em all" part of the Pokemon series. Not that I mind that, of course...

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    this hack looks awesome! can't wait to play it! keep up the good work. oh, and i like how questions determine your starter, and since the Pokedex always bored me, it won't bother me if you don't include it. It will actually be a nice change from the usual "gotta catch 'em all" part of the Pokemon series. Not that I mind that, of course...

Wow, this looks great. It's not everyday that we see a hacker with actual skills post something nice. Keep up the good work! :)

Thank you both! :)

Pamm Village is about 75% Scripted now, got to change the Pokémon Center to my liking and then script one more house worth. I also have the next 2 maps sketched out and labelled ready for making :3.

Edit//: PokéCenter now done, fiddled with the tiles a bit too (not new, just altered).

Edit2//: BOOOOM Pamm Village 100% complete. On to the next route for the weekend then.

Last edited:

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
    Years
    *falls down from ceiling* Hello, just wanted to say that you are amazing.

I went to the Hacks Showcase, and on the first page, there were only 3 hacks I thought were even decent. Those three were actually very good, but as you can see, I was dissapointed the Hacks Showcase was filled with such crud.

I thought the Progressing Hacks would be even worse, but ironically, there are tons more nicer hacks here than on the Hacks Showcase.

So anyway, rant aside and actually talking about you, my point is I thank you for being one of those hackers that is actually working on a quality hack.

Now, compliments aside, there are some issues with this thread and the hack (at least from the impression I got). I'll ignore the things that have already been stated and that you responded to (the CSS and JPGs).

a) You capatilize important things in the same idiotic way Gamefreak used to do, which is honestly something I thought every ROM hacker in existance fixed when they made their own games. I mean, seriously. It's not how the English language should be treated, and it's an eye sore. Even Gamefreak fixed it in Black and White. How did they fix it? By making important text blue (or whatever color you want). (They had actually done this in Gen 3 & 4 too, but they still had stuff capatilized back then.) I know you can do it, because you did that in one of the Secret Keeper screenies. I know you may be trying to imitate the earlier Pokémon games, or you may even like that style, but I think it is a nuisance to practically everybody, which I think could be changed to make the game better.

b) In response to your earlier question about the Pokedex, maybe you could make it a hip and trendy device in the Golden Isles, and everybody from there would have one? I dunno. But I think you should include the Pokedex.

c) The "meeting someone mysterious" cutscene could look better in my humble opinion. One thing I would do is elevate the mini rock plateau thingy more to establish that this place is different from the surronding forest, and another suggestion is to dump the statues and pedestal, unless you can use different tiles that blend in better with the surronding forest.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    *falls down from ceiling* Hello, just wanted to say that you are amazing...

a) You capatilize important things in the same idiotic way Gamefreak used to do...

b) In response to your earlier question about the Pokedex, maybe you could make it a hip and trendy device in the Golden Isles, and everybody from there would have one? I dunno. But I think you should include the Pokedex.

c) The "meeting someone mysterious" cutscene could look better in my humble opinion. One thing I would do is elevate the mini rock plateau thingy more to establish that this place is different from the surronding forest, and another suggestion is to dump the statues and pedestal, unless you can use different tiles that blend in better with the surronding forest.

Hi! :) Thank you for the complements, as to your comments:

A) Sorry about the Capatilisation :) I was pondering changing it, as I have slowly been adding coloured text in to the mix - since it's a simple scripting change I'll probably change that up so it's just coloured differences.

B) That's exactly what I was thinking, possibly simply as a 'sidequest' once you get to the Golden Isles as it has no place in the Western areas. Technology is just not blossomed there and so would seem very out of place.

C) I shall take the mapping into account :) I am frequently changing my maps as I spot errors or problems with the gameplay. The petestal is actually a placeholder sprite for the Alchemy skill tool, until I have either a sprite or a tile to replace it.

I appreciate all the feedback :3 thanks very much.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023

Update 05/03/12:

New Tiles:

Decapitalising:

FIRST POST NOW UPDATED, CSS and NEW SCREENSHOTS.

Last edited:
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Wow, the screenies look far better...overall the thread looks better! :D

I hit a stumbling block with some A-Map 1.95 issues stopping my maps working, however I'm now going retro and using 1.92 to fix the problems.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023

Update 06/03/12:

I've begun scripting 'River Bend', the second route on your journey, here is a sneak peek.

Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2015
    Looking great! Just wondering when would a beta version be available? Can't wait to start playing this game! Also, this game seems more interesting than the usual pokemon hacks! Keep up the good work :D

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Looking great! Just wondering when would a beta version be available? Can't wait to start playing this game! Also, this game seems more interesting than the usual pokemon hacks! Keep up the good work :D

Thank you! :) Although it's customary not to ask about release dates I'll answer anyway - probably not any time soon. I want a large proportion of the work done before letting the public get their hands on it.

Also: Anyone good at making custom OWs? I need player overworlds specifically so if you have made / can make some then please PM or VM me.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023

Update 09/03/12:

What's been done? The entire of the River Bend route has been mapped and scripted, Sander Docks has been completely mapped and now scripting has started. There WILL be an important event coming up next update, although I'll probably only include one or two screenshots.

So here is: Your first Blue-Shroom, The Master Fisher, a snap of Sander Docks and a lovely lady who renames Pokémon.

Last edited:
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Just a quick progress report!

I have been mapping out lots of annoying little places (ie inside houses and stuff) and slowly scripting them. Nothing worth posting Screenshots of though and some of it is an important event I'd rather not spoil.

Also been working out what I want to do with the opening part of the game (IE Oak, and the 'background' info thing at the beginning), slowwwwly deciding.

Wow nobody wants to post

Last edited:
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023

Update 05/03/12:

Just some new map shots so far, the insides of a boat aren't too interesting so I'll just give you one.

Also made a userbar :3 If you're in support please add it to your signature to link back to the thread.

Code:
    (Remove *s) [url*=https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=274597][IMG*]https://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d178/prossy/LostMagicBanner.png[/IMG][/url]

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back