• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon ObsidianBlack Version & Pokémon PewterWhite Version

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
Years
Welcome to the official thread of Pokémon ObsidianBlack Version and Pokémon PewterWhite version!

Introduction
Pokémon ObsidianBlack and PewterWhite are my first serious projects (don't ask how many joke ones I have hanging around...). They are paired like the official games. They (will) have a lot of twists and I think that they will be great fun!

Plot
You are a 10-year old boy who just got his Pokémon License! Explore the Bosha region while meeting many mysterious characters and completely destroying Team Rocket! And most important of all, collect all of the 8 Gym Badges and challenge the Bosha League!

Features

• Around 80-90% of the game is de-capitalised, meaning that IT no longer SHOUTS at YOU
  • Balanced difficulty unlike other hacks
  • Fairy type!
  • Lots of references to games from other series
  • Physical/Special split
  • Pokémon from Generation IV and V, including: Buizel, Floatzel, Gliscor, Litwick, Lampent, Chandelure, Electivire, Riolu, Lucario, Magmortar, Magnezone, Mamoswine, Porygon-Z, Probopass, Rhyperior, Tangrowth, Reshiram, Weavile, Zekrom
  • Reusable TMs!
  • The final versions will have ~250 catchable Pokémon, all which have movepools based off of their Generation V/VI ones and detailed new Pokédex entries that combine all official ones and add more twists (who knew that Exeggcute's scientific name was "Eggus Livious"?).
  • The final versions will have the Ocrat region + an archipelago coming packed with 4 more Gyms!
  • You can hold up to 999,999,999 PokéDollars
  • You can sit on stools!
  • Your character talks and is much more interactive
Screenshots
Here are some screenshots for you to observe.
Spoiler:

Version Exclusives
Exclusive to ObsidianBlack:
Spoiler:

More common in ObsidianBlack:
Spoiler:

Exclusive to PewterWhite:
Spoiler:

More common in PewterWhite:
Spoiler:

Evolution Changes
These are all changed evolutions. Even if you can't get the items required (yet), the listed changes are in the game and can be triggered if the items are hacked in.
Spoiler:

Replaced Pokémon
This hack does feature Generation IV/V Pokémon, but in order to do that I replaced the Johto Pokémon I consider more or less useless. Note that in the next update, Alpha 3.0, these will be de-replaced thanks to the revolutionary post that covers how to expand the Pokédex and add new Pokémon.
Spoiler:

Ocrat Pokédex
The Ocrat region's Pokédex is pretty much complete, though it won't be implemented until Alpha 4.0/Beta 1.0 as I want to complete is as much as possible. To see how it looks like (all the updates that I make to it are going to go live as soon as I save them!), click here.

Credits
Notice: All of these users are from PC, unless noted otherwise. Also, if you see something you made, but you aren't listed here, please tell me!
Spoiler:

Known Bugs
Legend: Blue text - Minor bug, doesn't affect gameplay; Orange text - Semi-major bug, may affect gameplay; Red text - Major bug, affects gameplay
Italic text - The issue is easily fixable; Underlined text - I may or may not have an idea on how to fix it; Bold text - I have no idea on how to fix the issue.

1. Flan's colours get screwed up when you are entering a battle with him.
  2. The names of moves usable outside of battle are invisible in the menu. You will need to guess which move it is by the little description that appears next to the menu.
Feedback and Suggestions
Have any feedback? I'll be happy to hear it!
Also, I've set up two special sections in my website. They're dedicated to suggesting new moves or trainers. If you want to help, click here to go to the Trainer Suggestion System, or click here to go to the Move Suggestion System.

Version Changes
Alpha 2.0
Spoiler:

Alpha 1.1
Spoiler:

Alpha 1.0
Spoiler:

Downloads
THIS IS A FAT, RED TEXT BECAUSE PEOPLE SEE AND READ FAT RED TEXTS. If you want to enjoy the game to its fullest, make sure to enable the Real Time Clock! If you don't, it will bug up a kind-of-important person who will be implemented near the 6th gym badge.

Oh, of course! The most important part of the post!
Click here to download the current versions of both games. Make sure to read the readme! Current Version: Alpha 2.0

Past Downloads
Alpha 1.1
Alpha 1.0

Supporter Bars
Do you like the hacks? Well, you can stick one of these in your signature!

Pokémon ObsidianBlack & PewterWhite Support Bar

HTML:
[URL=http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=314351][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/BC8GZQQ.png[/IMG][/URL]

Pokémon ObsidianBlack Support Bar

HTML:
[URL=http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=314351][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/1PMjJ52.png[/IMG][/URL]

Pokémon PewterWhite Support Bar

HTML:
[URL=http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=314351][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2LO1Lps.png[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
Nice hack. Although some maps doesn't look good.
Also this town description.
WVirT95.png

Makes no sense at all.
I don't like the trees in my opinion.
y2V8pI3.png

Overall, good luck.

FrozenInfernoZX

What is out there?
Years
I'm a huge fan of hacks with Fire Red tiles! I'm definitely looking out for this one. Some of the mapping seems to uniform and "spacey." What can be improved upon is by making the maps smaller or more "compacted." Good luck!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
I just played the alpha and it was very enjoyable. The leveling seemed a bit too easy, especially by the 2nd gym, and the mapping was a little too spaced out. Otherwise, it was a lot of fun... Keep up the good work :)

Altair1

Willpower
Years
Just downloaded both versions, planning to play them later.
Just wondering if you were going to add more to the plot, it could make things more interesting?
Other than that, it looks good and I wish you good luck! ;D

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
Years
Nice hack. Although some maps doesn't look good.
Also this town description.
WVirT95.png

Makes no sense at all.
I don't like the trees in my opinion.
y2V8pI3.png

Overall, good luck.
For the town description, it's supposed to mean that it is a little town with a pool that takes up half of it.

As for the trees, yeah, they don't look that good, but the Route 1 map specifically was made before like, what? Two or three months? Yep, I was pretty new back then.

From what i play this hack is really fun and it feel like chaos rush dark violet but it different in it own right.
Oh, really? I never actually played DarkViolet past the Viridian Forest, so I can't exactly say if that's a good or a bad thing.

I'm a huge fan of hacks with Fire Red tiles! I'm definitely looking out for this one. Some of the mapping seems to uniform and "spacey." What can be improved upon is by making the maps smaller or more "compacted." Good luck!
My primary plan with the maps was to add a lot of room for running around. (don't know why, probably because I like having space around me in real life). Though, one map that will be very compact will be the map for the biggest city. If all goes to plan it will be actually four different maps.

I just played the alpha and it was very enjoyable. The leveling seemed a bit too easy, especially by the 2nd gym, and the mapping was a little too spaced out. Otherwise, it was a lot of fun... Keep up the good work :)
I'm glad to hear that! And yeah, the second gym is too easy. I might release an Alpha 1.1 in the near future and if that happens I will bump up Gaia's levels a little bit.

Just downloaded both versions, planning to play them later.
Just wondering if you were going to add more to the plot, it could make things more interesting?
Other than that, it looks good and I wish you good luck! ;D
Oh man, just teleport to me in real life and look at my list of ideas. The reason that Blue and Flan hate each other and call each other "stupid" is to make a giant plot twist that will come near the 5th gym even more dangerous for people with weak hearts. (also, why bother playing both versions? Unless you want to trade version exclusives with VBA-Link, of course.)

Altair1

Willpower
Years
Oh man, just teleport to me in real life and look at my list of ideas. The reason that Blue and Flan hate each other and call each other "stupid" is to make a giant plot twist that will come near the 5th gym even more dangerous for people with weak hearts. (also, why bother playing both versions? Unless you want to trade version exclusives with VBA-Link, of course.)

Haha, sounds awesome!
I just assumed that there were other differences besides Pokemon locations, I'll play them both regardless though.

Reject217

Great Pokémon Reject
Years
to me, Flan's sprite looks to be a bit taller than the other characters. Other than that, I can't wait to play it ^^ (busy with school, so I'll play the games later on)

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
Years
Haha, sounds awesome!
I just assumed that there were other differences besides Pokemon locations, I'll play them both regardless though.
Actually, there will be other differences, though they will be just tilesets or swapped puzzles. Not that much, though it is worth playing both versions if you want Zekrom in PewterWhite or vice versa.

to me, Flan's sprite looks to be a bit taller than the other characters. Other than that, I can't wait to play it ^^ (busy with school, so I'll play the games later on)
Even though it is taller, I think that's fine. It's just 2 or 3 pixels and it gives him more personality, anyway.

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
Years
how far does the alpha go?
It goes up to the 2nd gym, though that isn't that little, as there's two dungeons between them.

EDIT: Alpha 1.1 released! It fixes a major bug and balances Gaia a little bit. Get it at the main post!

Last edited:

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
It goes up to the 2nd gym, though that isn't that little, as there's two dungeons between them.

EDIT: Alpha 1.1 released! It fixes a major bug and balances Gaia a little bit. Get it at the main post!

Good. Are you planning to change the other tiles besides the tree?

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
Years
Good. Are you planning to change the other tiles besides the tree?
That's a good question, actually. While I originally planned to have Pokémon Centre and Pokémon Mart replaced as well, but there wasn't enough space in the tileset. As for other tiles, I'm kind of limited because I use a single tileset and I don't want clashing graphic styles. (I use this tileset if you're curious)

As for the mountains, the ones in the set just aren't my style.

(also, the grass, ledges and pools are also replaced)

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
That's a good question, actually. While I originally planned to have Pokémon Centre and Pokémon Mart replaced as well, but there wasn't enough space in the tileset. As for other tiles, I'm kind of limited because I use a single tileset and I don't want clashing graphic styles. (I use this tileset if you're curious)

As for the mountains, the ones in the set just aren't my style.

(also, the grass, ledges and pools are also replaced)

The mountain tile doesn't look really good at all. Actually, nature tiles here doesn't look good.
Why won't you try and look some of Wesley's and kyledove's tiles? They look much better. >.>

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
Years
The mountain tile doesn't look really good at all. Actually, nature tiles here doesn't look good.
Why won't you try and look some of Wesley's and kyledove's tiles? They look much better. >.>
Okay, I will make sure to look at them and see if I like them better.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jul 19, 2021
The battle graphics are amazing, but Littorella seems kinda bland. Perhaps a few more houses here and there?(total 4) Otherwise, it's a great hack. Good luck!

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
Years
The battle graphics are amazing, but Littorella seems kinda bland. Perhaps a few more houses here and there?(total 4) Otherwise, it's a great hack. Good luck!
Yeah, that's what I saw when I was preparing the release, but nothing at all seemed to fit right. I will try to make it more interesting (again), though if I fail, don't worry, the town will get interesting plot-wise after the 6th or 7th gym.

Also, a message to all! You guys remember how Team Rocket talks about Suicune and Master Balls before the double battle in the Earth Tower? Well, I present to you an event that occurs in the Ancient Waterway B2F! (yes, it's in the locked door, meaning it is not a red herring, you will be able to unlock it in Alpha 2)
KAESJwI.png

Also, I added a list of changed evolutions to the main post. I meant to add it when Alpha 1.0 was released, but I forgot. I figured I will do it now, because you will be able to catch Magnemite in Alpha 2.0 (which will come out in the next few days) and so it's relevant.

EDIT:
First hack like this I seen!!!! great and interesting....two exclusive version...
Thanks for the compliment! I'm glad you find it good.

Last edited:

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
This hack looks promising! I do have a question, though. Are Gliscor and Weavile in this hack?

Back