• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Olympus

Years
  • Welcome to Pokémon Olympus

Hello everybody! I'm Dialga111 and I'd like to introduce to you the recent project in which I've been working on!

It's called Pokémon Olympus, but it doesn't have Greek gods in it! In fact, I kind of adapted a few concepts and characters to the Greek Mythology to fit the story I was planning. In the end, it is there, you just have to look deeper.

Right now I don't know if I'll make it a game. For now, it's just a fan fiction (which can be read right here and a fakedex (found in this very topic, of course). I'd be very pleased if you all read the fan fiction. It's still on the 3rd Chapter, but I'm sure you'll love it =)

Mike and Lily are two twin sibilings that live in the peaceful Lasa Island. In a certain day, a special festival is being celebrated, in honor to the Goddess that protects the island. This year, however, something else happens in the festival, and Mike, Lily and Bob (their best friend and neighbor) meet with three creatures born with the simple purpose to protect the three of them. (More info in the fan fiction, even though Lily hasn't gotten her starter Pokémon there yet)

But enough talking, let's show you all what you came here to see, the sprites:

The Slympou Continent

The region in which our heroes live is formed by two mountainous huge masses of land, a small peaceful island, a cold and scary iceberg and an ever-erupting volcano in a threatening island. All of this surrounded by mysterious tides that hide untold secrets to those who dare to venture through the seas.

Here is its map:

Pokémon Olympus
    Pokémon Olympus

I also added one without routes, because I liked the coloring xD

Without further ado, here are the true stars of the region, the fakémon:

Spoiler:

Just in case you're interested, here's a brief explanation about the legendary pokémon:

Spoiler:

Basically, that's it! Oh, here are the type symbols:

Pokémon Olympus

The card game inspired me to do them this way, I've always liked it and wanted it to be in the region in some sort of way.

Constructive Criticism is always welcome =)

Last edited:

SoaringSomeone

Residential Sprite Slave
    Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2014
    You crafted a long and wonderfully written post on my sprite thread, so it's only fair I try to return at least a bit of the favor. :3

Story wise, this is relevant to my interests. If you do end up making this into a game, I'd play it (I've a bit of an aversion to fanfic I'm afraid...OTL).

Sprite wise, I enjoy your three starters a lot. I see what you did there with the three headed dog and hippocampus. 'Fraid my mythology isn't up to par enough to figure out the grass eagle though. And the guardians are gorgeous. However, there are three things I wanted to point out about the sprites:

1. You tend to have a lot of black outlines, which takes away from the natural flow of the sprites. Your best sprites (the guardians, IMHO) don't really have that many of a pure black outline, whereas some of the other ones, such as the bug/sound Pokemon do. I'd say if you could, change the colors of those outline to something else.

2. This is actually something that I notice with a lot of Fakemon, but people tend not to give them mouths. By not giving your Fakemon mouths (like the dog starter), you take away from the authenticity of the pokemon, which is supposed to look at least semi-realistic.

3. This is also something else I notice a lot with Fakemon: excessive roundness. Animal skulls aren't exactly round; they're bumpy and weirdly shaped and have all sorts of bumps and whatnots spread across. I believe in order to make more GF-esque Pokesprites, you'd need to define the skulls and the skeletal structure underneath the skin.

As a final note, the TGC-style typing bubbles are awesome sauce all around. :3

Nimblethumbs

my name would look hot in bold
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2015
    Pokémon Olympus
    Pokémon Olympus

Those two are easily your best. The reason for that is the way you've shaded them, exagerating the small details and using accents of gray. Everyone of your pokemon should have that shading; it will set your "style" apart from others.

You should really try softening the outlines.

Good Job!

Clusterfudge

Explosive-licious
    Years
  • While I like quite a few of the sprites, it seems like they have no consistency, some of your sprites are just amazing, others are just there. It seems like you are trying to force sprites at times, you should just go with whatever idea hits you at the moment.

Years
  • You crafted a long and wonderfully written post on my sprite thread, so it's only fair I try to return at least a bit of the favor. :3

Yay, thank you x3

Story wise, this is relevant to my interests. If you do end up making this into a game, I'd play it (I've a bit of an aversion to fanfic I'm afraid...OTL).

Lol yeah, I know how you feel. I'm not into reading fan fics either. In fact, I'd find it pretty boring to read a 17-page long word file in Arial 12 just to find out that the journey hasn't even started yet xD

Sprite wise, I enjoy your three starters a lot. I see what you did there with the three headed dog and hippocampus. 'Fraid my mythology isn't up to par enough to figure out the grass eagle though. And the guardians are gorgeous. However, there are three things I wanted to point out about the sprites:

omg thank you so much. I didn't know what Hippocampus was before you posted, I researched and that's definitely what I'm going to do xD. Originally, I had no idea of what to do for the last evo, the same goes for the eagle. I just made eagle and horse because they are the symbols of Poseidon and Zeus (and so it fits the story, the starters are a gift from the gods - Uzes, Sepodion and Shade, anagrams of Zeus, Poseidon and Hades).

1. You tend to have a lot of black outlines, which takes away from the natural flow of the sprites. Your best sprites (the guardians, IMHO) don't really have that many of a pure black outline, whereas some of the other ones, such as the bug/sound Pokemon do. I'd say if you could, change the colors of those outline to something else.

Hmm.. I hadn't realized that. Now that I think about it, it's kind of a trauma I have. When I started spriting, I would make NO black outlines. I'd hate it in every single sprite. Then people started telling me to use more black outlines. I guess I always overdo it, don't I? xD Well, I'll try to fix that, thanks for the feedback.

2. This is actually something that I notice with a lot of Fakemon, but people tend not to give them mouths. By not giving your Fakemon mouths (like the dog starter), you take away from the authenticity of the pokemon, which is supposed to look at least semi-realistic.

omg I had never realized it! You're right, the only ones that have mouthes are the dragon/grass and the normal rodent (and the birds, but the beaks don't really count). Thank you, I hadn't noticed it. I'll edit them all to add mouthes! (well, maybe not all of them. The bugs and the ghost may be exceptions)

3. This is also something else I notice a lot with Fakemon: excessive roundness. Animal skulls aren't exactly round; they're bumpy and weirdly shaped and have all sorts of bumps and whatnots spread across. I believe in order to make more GF-esque Pokesprites, you'd need to define the skulls and the skeletal structure underneath the skin.

You know, you just inspired me a lot now, and gave me an idea to make more convincing pokémon. From the next ones on, I'll research more on the anatomy and actually draw every part of the fakémon, ever since the skull. With this, I can work on its poses and flexibility, something I fail miserably at doing at the moment.

As a final note, the TGC-style typing bubbles are awesome sauce all around. :3

Haha, thank you! x3

Pokémon Olympus
    Pokémon Olympus

Those two are easily your best. The reason for that is the way you've shaded them, exagerating the small details and using accents of gray. Everyone of your pokemon should have that shading; it will set your "style" apart from others.

You should really try softening the outlines.

Good Job!

Thank you! In fact, those are my favorites too! I plan to revamp the other ones soon, and I'll try shading it this way too.

I think I can see what you mean by softening the outlines, specially on the fire starter evo and in Equide (water starter). I'll try that too, thank you.

While I like quite a few of the sprites, it seems like they have no consistency, some of your sprites are just amazing, others are just there. It seems like you are trying to force sprites at times, you should just go with whatever idea hits you at the moment.

I see. And you're completely right. Sometimes I was completely out of ideas, but I just had to sprite something, so I made something just for the sake of doing it, with no proper ideas. The outcome: something boring, with few to no attractives, in a bad pose and with a bad outline (aka fire starter). Thank you, I'll try working on that too.

--
    I'd like to say, however, that, unfortunately, my vacations ended, and I have classes from 7am to 1pm, then prep course for the university from 3pm to 8pm (10pm on Wednesdays), so, you'll be seeing me much less, and I'll have much less time to sprite. However, whenever I have the time I will try to re-sprite the ones I feel that need a revamp and take in account all of your comments and suggestions. Thank you all very much, it means a lot to me :)

lloebet

[color=#58FAD0][font=geo][u][i]Ancient[/i][/u][/fo
    Years
  • i think that this is amazing im looking forward to seeing your new um pokemon lol in the future great job!

Years
  • not to sound trollish but that world map sorta looks
    like the 3 continents from world of warcraft
    (just saying)

otherwise your fakemon and stuff look good keep it up

Really? I never played World of Warcraft, so that wasn't on purpose xD

Thank you :)

LifeUpStudios

Cheater Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    I like all the sprites you made. Really great design. Perfect shading. i like them. Its a bit wierd though considering people were saying about fire starters "Whats next? A fire dog?" and there you go. A fire puppy. 4.8/5 from me. I dont really like the god thing a lot. It's decent for a few but it just gets a bit wierd for me. Good map as well, great map designing there.

Back