• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Paradise - The MMORPG Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 7, 2011

I don't have much to showcase, but what I do have shows my basic ambitions.

Myself and a few colleagues from Pokémon Platinum (the hyped G/S/C remake -- for those of you who still await it, it's being programmed as I speak) decided we wanted to bring to the world a Pokémon-themed MMORPG where you could explore, trade, battle, and do more with hundreds of other people at the same time. Hence the formation of a public project, apropriately named

Our goal is to make an online Pokémon game that plays comfortably with any MMO junky (like myself) but yet retains that classic Pokémon feel. Maybe not breaking any new ground, but perhaps making some of our fans happy.

The story: You are an average trainer, leaving your home behind as you travel to the Jurni region, an enormous continent full of exotic locations and locales. Explore the land from end to end, as you make new friends, defeat new enemies, and uncover hidden secrets.

Aside from a few sprite sheets here and there, we're really needing more work done, as well as support and folks who want to be part of the dev team. Since it's a D/P style game, we may also need some 3D designers as well. We've got lots of ideas but very little ability to actually develop them, so we need all the help we can get.

Here's some of the jobs we need filled (everyone is able to do one):
    -Character Design
    -Spriting
    -NPC Dialogue
    -World Design -- Mapmaking
    -3D Design
    -Game Engine Design
    -Stat Engine
    -Online Server Programming
    -Music Composing
    -Sound Effect Ripping/Recording

Last edited:

Twinx

s o m e t h i n g M O R E
    Years
  • Well, I really don't have any experience in game development, I can't really help.
    Although, if you're in desperate need of mappers, well, mapping is probably the easiest thing to do, I can help you there.

Wish you all the luck.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    Ok, I'll need a list of the towns and their characteristics, I'll work on them first.

( I need the characteristics because a town with flowers would not match music with a slow theme to it )

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 7, 2011
    Ok, I'll need a list of the towns and their characteristics, I'll work on them first.

( I need the characteristics because a town with flowers would not match music with a slow theme to it )
    Well, the only towns we have worked out so far are as follows:

-North Harbor - starting town (northwest-most mark on map), it's basically a portside village where trainers begin their adventure

-unnamed mountain village - a large village built on top of a mountain range, it has a cliff in the middle that splits the north and south ends

-unnamed rainforest village - a treetop village (similar to Fortree in Hoenn) at the edge of a tropical rainforest, it's a good place for preparing and resting, as well as getting exotic goods

-unnamed PokéPark - an amusement park for trainers. Here you can find the Game Corner as well as other multiplayer activities.

That's all I've got so far, if you want to come up with some rearrangements of some of the "standard" themes (like Pokémon Center, Mart, Underground, etc.), that's fine too. I'll probably have a list somewhere on the forums of what needs themes and etc. You can use the map for ideas too if you like.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    Alright, I'll get to work on some.

( Already have an idea for the rainforest village, something with South American Tribal Drums comes to mind )

DrCoolSanta

Erode away...
    Years
  • You do need to decide your engine before you continue, not all engines work with the same type of music and maps, and looking at your first post, I guess you might not be able to finish this, you say your team can't do most of the things.

I like the idea, but if you can't do it on your own, and if you havn't even decided the engine yet, this game won't go much further.
    Sorry.

Improfane

hiatus
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2010
    DrCoolSanta, it's one thing to understand how difficult a game project is and tell the developers that but it's even better to help them rather than simply give up on people.

TheGameGuy, my signature links to advisory pieces that will be useful for game developers. As for MMORPG engine, you could try BYOND.

https://www.byond.com/

Good luck.

4th Gen Matt

Pokemon Onyx Creator
    Years
  • If you are going to be using RMXP, then I would be more than happy to help with the mapping. I am a pretty experienced mapper (just take a look at the Map Rating thread). What language are you going to be using to program the game? Haha, I love how the thought of an MMO can bring so many people together to make a game.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back