• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hack Series: Pokémon Photonic Sun & Prismatic Moon

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Hi, is there any chance EX/WY/PS/PM have accidentally changed the shiny odds on my game? I just found a Shiny Weedle in Prismatic Moon and a Shiny Surskit in Eternal X within the span two hours. I've played these rom hacks quite a lot and never found anything before, so I doubt you've changed anything, but I have to ask. Because of course if you haven't the implication is I just got winning the lottery lucky. Is there anything at all that you can think of that could have possibly changed the shiny odds?
    Hey, I haven't touched the shiny rate in either hack, so you've just won the shiny lottery. Congrats!
    just breed caught it
    So to clarify, anything you catch will make legal eggs, but won't be legal itself.

Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Dec 24, 2020
    You're welcome! The exefs is slightly different; you just copy the files from it straight into the title ID folder (i.e. the same place the romfs folder is in). You can also make a patch of your modified code.bin file and share that instead of the whole file; the code.bin is technically copyrighted code (and not just a data file like the garcs), so sharing it this way is good practice. Some sites will require you to do this, but most people don't care either way.
    XY's title screen is in a/1/6/5; IIRC it has title screens for both versions in it.

Thanks for all the help! I just have two more things. When patching the cro files, how do I tell what I need and where to put them in the patch files.
    The last thing is that after some time, the story text didn't seem to be patching properly. It worked for a while until I started replacing a couple of things, now it just won't change the text at all. The only text modifications I can find are in the game text (Sycamore's introduction and stuff like that). I tried redoing the whole process of only moving certain garc files, but it's not working at all. Sorry for all the trouble.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Thanks for all the help! I just have two more things. When patching the cro files, how do I tell what I need and where to put them in the patch files.
    The last thing is that after some time, the story text didn't seem to be patching properly. It worked for a while until I started replacing a couple of things, now it just won't change the text at all. The only text modifications I can find are in the game text (Sycamore's introduction and stuff like that). I tried redoing the whole process of only moving certain garc files, but it's not working at all. Sorry for all the trouble.
    No problem! Cro files all go straight in the romfs folder. The easiest way to tell which ones you've edited is to sort the folder they're in by date modified (with most recent at the top of the list); that way any that you've edited will be at the top of the folder's files. You could also look up a list of files for XY; I'm pretty sure there's one around somewhere that has all the important cro files. Unfortunately I'm not sure what would be causing the text issues; I've had plenty of trouble with the text garcs but that was almost always due to me forgetting to copy them over (or copying the wrong files).

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2024
    How exactly do I obtain the Island Scan Pokemon? Do I need to scan 10 QR codes each time I want to catch one?

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    How exactly do I obtain the Island Scan Pokemon? Do I need to scan 10 QR codes each time I want to catch one?
    Unfortunately yeah, it's the same as vanilla. I didn't realize how awful that system is, might have to change it in future.

Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Dec 24, 2020
    No problem! Cro files all go straight in the romfs folder. The easiest way to tell which ones you've edited is to sort the folder they're in by date modified (with most recent at the top of the list); that way any that you've edited will be at the top of the folder's files. You could also look up a list of files for XY; I'm pretty sure there's one around somewhere that has all the important cro files. Unfortunately I'm not sure what would be causing the text issues; I've had plenty of trouble with the text garcs but that was almost always due to me forgetting to copy them over (or copying the wrong files).

This is stretching on for longer then it has to, but I still have a few more things. Can I use a .cro that I made for Y in a X patch? How can I edit the title screen (PK3ds title screen editor doesn't seem to work). Can I force the player's gender? How can I write/edit scripts? Some garcs (like pikachu's texture in a/0/0/7) can't seem to be extracted, is there a way to fix this? And finally, do you know how I could put pokemon from Sun/Moon into X/Y? I would like to put the Gen 7 starters in my version.

Again, sorry for all the trouble, but I just can't find any of this information anywhere else.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    This is stretching on for longer then it has to, but I still have a few more things.
    Can I use a .cro that I made for Y in a X patch?
    I don't think so, just did a quick comparison with the dllfield.cro files and they seem to be different. Probably best to have separate .cro files for each version.
    How can I edit the title screen (PK3ds title screen editor doesn't seem to work).
    I don't know this one sorry, someone else made the title screens for EXWY.
    Can I force the player's gender?
    This would be an ASM hack (or maybe a script edit, not sure), so that depends on you. I definitely couldn't do it!
    How can I write/edit scripts?
    There's a script/map editor for ORAS (look up CTR Map), but it's not the most beginner friendly program and it wasn't made with XY in mind. You can give it a try but I can't help beyond that.
    Some garcs (like pikachu's texture in a/0/0/7) can't seem to be extracted, is there a way to fix this?
    You could try other tools maybe, but other than that I have no idea.
    And finally, do you know how I could put pokemon from Sun/Moon into X/Y? I would like to put the Gen 7 starters in my version.
    I don't think this has been done yet; it's not a trivial process (can't just copy/paste all the relevant garc entries from SM sadly) so I can't help with this one either.
    Again, sorry for all the trouble, but I just can't find any of this information anywhere else.
    Responses in bold. Sorry I can't help with most of these, 3DS hacking is still very limited in most areas and I haven't done anything with it beyond what's in my hacks.
    There are patches here https://gbatemp.net/threads/usum-ips-patches.488802/ that allow you to remove the cooldown and have some other stuff like No Lines or PC anywhere. Not sure how to install these on Citra, however.
    They'd need to be combined with the hack's code.bin patch; you can just apply those patches and the hack's patch to the same code.bin file and then use the patched file in place of the code.ips. I'll add the cooldown removal patch to the hack with next update anyway, thanks for sharing the link!

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    was a separte cia file, and rebalenced prismatic moon
    Ok, that's good. The marts are working on my end, so could you try a couple of things to help find the issue?
    • Uninstall the hack (delete everything in Ultra Moon's mods folder) and see if the marts still freeze without it
    • Double check you've got the files for Ultra Moon and not Ultra Sun (sorry, I have to ask this one, it happens sometimes)
    Also, have you got any cheats or other patches applied (e.g. the no outlines patch)? And finally, if you wouldn't mind sharing your save file so I can test with it that'd be very helpful.

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2021
    ill try the 2nd option, and this may take a while, so please tell me, where are the save files put? and no cheats or patches, idk how that works anyway

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    ill try the 2nd option, and this may take a while, so please tell me, where are the save files put? and no cheats or patches, idk how that works anyway
    You can right-click on the game in citra and choose "open save data location" to find your save file. Hopefully the issue is that there's something wrong with the early game marts so I can fix it, not sure what else it would be.

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2021
    oh crap, dude i think i got photonic sun, instead of primatic moon, please dont tell me i gotta start all over cus of that

Back