• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Platinum Red & Blue Versions - Alpha 1.3 Released!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
  • i don't remember if this has been asked or not if it hasn't it probably needs to be, are you going to put in the azure flute (arceus), oak's letter (shaymin), and member's pass (darkai), or are those going to be left out. particularly interested about the azure flute which went unrealeased (though if i got all those items correct from memory alone i really needed to get a life during gen 4).

There are mystery gift events in each version. Platinum Red will not have the azure flute, but Platinum Blue will. If you happen to get the item to transfer, you're all good.

GoGoJJTech

Years
  • Pokémon Platinum Red & Blue Versions - Alpha 1.3 Released!

https://gogojjtech.com/assets/lucas85879.gif

I think we're back. How about that?

Years
  • I've noticed some problems and inconsistencies in some of your tiles.
    Allow me to explain some of my concerns.

More than likely by accident your letting some tiles with shadows slip in, like the sign in the .gif above.
    If the player, npcs and buildings all have no shadows no other tile should either, its confusing to the eye. This would include the shadows next to walls on indoor levels as well, its a consistency you have to keep in order for things to not look out of place.

Also, try giving the buildings an outline. Not having outlines on the NDS worked because of the depth shadows gave off, as well as the 3d effect. Here, most of the buildings look like they are blending with the other tiles.

Finally, your tiles are causing a phenomena known as visual vibration in the design world. Some of your tiles, especially the house and dirt tiles are too similar in value causing the edges where they meet to become blurry and strain the eye. The outlines help, here is an example,no additional colors have been used to create these outlines.:
    https://imgur.com/OCLApTK -outline
    https://imgur.com/kZRYxR1 -original
    I hope you can see the difference, I have a trained eye but hopefully this will put a finger on something you feel was not right.

Again the NDS version was able to get away with this because of shadows, because of limiting space on the gba you can't afford to add shadows to everything so that's why games used outlines and such.
    I really hope you take the time to go back and fix some of these common errors that I pointed out, and if you need any assistance private message me.

My final recommendation is that you are a bit more careful when ripping your tiles, your not working with a Ds so you have to treat things differently in order for them to be optimal.

Best Regards ~
    Hidden

Last edited:

GoGoJJTech

Years
  • I've noticed some problems and inconsistencies in some of your tiles.
    Allow me to explain some of my concerns.

Most likely unintentionally your letting some tiles with shadows slip in, like the sign in the .gif above.
    If the player, npcs and buildings all have no shadows no other tile should either, its confusing to the eye. This would include the shadows next to walls on indoor levels as well, its a consistency you have to keep in order for things to not look out of place.

Also, try giving the buildings an outline. Not having outlines on the NDS worked because of the depth shadows gave off, as well as the . Here most of the buildings look like they are blending with the other tiles.

Finally, your tiles are causing a phenomena known as visual vibration in the design world. Some of your tiles, especially the house and dirt tiles are too similar in value causing the edges where they meet to become blurry and strain the eye. The outlines help, here is an example, no additional colors have been used.:
    https://imgur.com/OCLApTK -outline
    https://imgur.com/kZRYxR1 -original
    I hope you can see the difference, I have a trained eye but hopefully this will put a finger on something you feel was not right.

Again the NDS version was able to get away with this because of shadows, because of limiting space on the gba you can't afford to add shadows to everything so that's why games used outlines and such.
    I really hope you take the time to go back and fix some of these common errors that I pointed out, and if you need any assistance private message me.

My final recommendation is that you are a bit more careful when ripping your tiles, your not working with a Ds so you have to treat things differently in order for them to be optimal.

Best Regards ~
    You know me.

I do realize all of this, but the thing is, shadows aren't really priority at the moment. The sign is an exception; the shadow colors match the grass pal's colors and they're in the same tile. No reason not to do it.
    However, for a building, it's different. I'd need to include a new palette for the shadows, and then I'd have to create entirely new tiles for said shadows. If once I'm done mapping everything I have extra space, shadows will get done. However, for the alpha, I won't be including shadows. It will all look good in the end product, but for now, it's staying sadly. Hope you understand it. :D

Years
  • I think you misunderstood, I'm saying design-wise it would be better to not add shadows at all and address the tiles similarly to how they are in the other gen3 games.

Firered had little to no shadows, and to avoid visual vibration in their tiles they used outlines like just about every other gba game. Even if you did go back and add shadows you would experience the problem I pointed out above, there is no 3D affect to further separate the tiles from one another because the gray-scale values are just to similar with no outline to separate them.

to further explain:
    https://imgur.com/1lKZmaR
    The bottom of the house is nearly invisible because the values are just to similar, this is what causes the problems
    Same with the top of the sign

When you have the outline:
    https://imgur.com/77aagba
    The eye sees where the edges meet

Also, the reason you don't get the problem with the rocks and such is because they were not a 3d model to begin with, so they designers knew to add these outlines.

Last edited:

Smeargle

Illusory
    Years
  • Hidden shouted at me to hand over what I had made.
    Here are all of the files I made for the 8-directional and the few animations I had finished.

8-Directional:
    https://www.mediafire.com/download/41loz540vo84s10/8directional.rar[/U]
    Free for anyone to use and edit, unfortunately some frames have been lost over the course of 3 months and this is all I could find, just be warned lots and lots of duplicates.

26 Animated Pokemon:
    https://www.mediafire.com/download/ksyb8v58td5o28l/Animations.rar[/U]
    Doesn't do much good only having 26 but with college and all I have had 0 time to work on them.

If anyone is good at Photoshop you can pick up where I left of by using these as templates.
    Pokémon Platinum Red & Blue Versions - Alpha 1.3 Released!
    Categorize the Pokemon by size and fit them into the templates accordingly with the scale or transform tool.

I would like to apologize, but I will no longer be affiliated with this project I have had my eyes set on the future and have been really enjoying college, leaving no time for volunteer work. (hope you understand).
    May come back with a gift one of these days though...

Anyways, I really wanted to get those files out to you and the public. As they have only been in .gif form in the past, and although they were never finished I hope you find some use for them as a base or such. (at least walking and running 8-directional got finished)

Oh and if I may have my input on what hidden stated above, I agree with the points she's made, however when it comes to shadows I would at least add a small shadow next to the building like they do in firered.

sexy​

Last edited:

Epsilon

Shiny Scizor
    Years
  • I think you misunderstood, I'm saying design-wise it would be better to not add shadows at all and address the tiles similarly to how they are in the other gen3 games.

Firered had little to no shadows, and to avoid visual vibration in their tiles they used outlines like just about every other gba game. Even if you did go back and add shadows you would experience the problem I pointed out above, there is no 3D affect to further separate the tiles from one another because the gray-scale values are just to similar with no outline to separate them.

to further explain:
    https://imgur.com/1lKZmaR
    The bottom of the house is nearly invisible because the values are just to similar, this is what causes the problems
    Same with the top of the sign

When you have the outline:
    https://imgur.com/77aagba
    The eye sees where the edges meet

Also, the reason you don't get the problem with the rocks and such is because they were not a 3d model to begin with, so they designers knew to add these outlines.

I have been silently following this hack from the start, and although I do know what you mean with shadows, outlines and digital vibration (honestly, I get you point from a graphic design standpoint), I think you should keep quiet, appreciate the work GoGo has put in, and the direction he has taken designwise. In my mind it looks stunning without the shadow and outlines; more modern than standard Gen III graphics. You should appreciate that there are different directions to go in, and that your direction is just an opinion rather than an 'absolute design truth'. I apologize if I sound harsh, but I think you really forgot to bring nuance into your opinion. Keep up the good work, GoGo! I truly love everything I've seen so far.

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2019
    I have been silently following this hack from the start, and although I do know what you mean with shadows, outlines and digital vibration (honestly, I get you point from a graphic design standpoint), I think you should keep quiet, appreciate the work GoGo has put in, and the direction he has taken designwise. In my mind it looks stunning without the shadow and outlines; more modern than standard Gen III graphics. You should appreciate that there are different directions to go in, and that your direction is just an opinion rather than an 'absolute design truth'. I apologize if I sound harsh, but I think you really forgot to bring nuance into your opinion. Keep up the good work, GoGo! I truly love everything I've seen so far.
    "You shouldn't be criticizing the graphics cuz Gogo put so much work into this hack and its awesome."
    Really?
    Just because Gogo put a lot of work into this hack doesn't mean he's above criticism. I personally like Gogo's platinum tiles too, but I never liked the fact that there was 0% shadow. (even though he had his reasons) He's not imposing his art style on Gogo either. It's just a suggestion.
    If we "keep quiet and appreciate the work" people put in, there will be no improvements made. If Gogo released a hack filled with bad gameplay and level design (not likely, but you get what I mean), I would not hesitate to criticize the **** out of it, even though Gogo's just better at hacking in general than I am.

SirCharmander

SirCharmander
    Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2016
    I'm pretty sure GOGO welcomes constructive criticism. To better the hack right? I'm sure he already knows and has everything planned out already. If something doesn't look right to him. He'll get to it when he has the time. He's a smart guy. No need to argue about it.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2022
    I have a question. It's more of a suggestion, but still.
    Since this is to be considered as a FULL platinum demake, why not add animations to pokemon?
    I mean, it is possible in FireRed from what I've heard. The only problem would be a second sprite resource with the other frames. I have no experience as an ASM hacker, and my talent as a graphic artist is limited to designing webpages and magazines, so I don't know anything about inserting second sprites and such. But I do realize that resizing sprites is not a very difficult task, only a very time consuming one. And the same seems to be the case for adding the second sprites into the game.
    This hack looks amazing, adding animations would make it even more amazing. But if it's too difficult, I understand.
    Anyway, I'm liking this hack a lot. This and LIFE have me psyched.
    Talos guide you.

Years
  • I have a question. It's more of a suggestion, but still.
    Since this is to be considered as a FULL platinum demake, why not add animations to pokemon?
    I mean, it is possible in FireRed from what I've heard. The only problem would be a second sprite resource with the other frames. I have no experience as an ASM hacker, and my talent as a graphic artist is limited to designing webpages and magazines, so I don't know anything about inserting second sprites and such. But I do realize that resizing sprites is not a very difficult task, only a very time consuming one. And the same seems to be the case for adding the second sprites into the game.
    This hack looks amazing, adding animations would make it even more amazing. But if it's too difficult, I understand.
    Talos guide you.

I think he already inserted it...
    look back a few pages ^_^

GoGoJJTech

Years
  • I have a question. It's more of a suggestion, but still.
    Talos guide you.

Actually Smeargle was working on it. But since he's no longer with us, I'll need to pick up where he left off.

Doing ANYTHING on FireRed is possible. Any..thing. So saying "it's possible" or "it's impossible" both lead to the same answer - Yes I can do it :D

Doing animations on FireRed really isn't the best thing when you do it from the main routine. Reason is - animations happen every time the sprite is called. Every time. Even before they get to their position in battle etc. Really annoying. Although daniilS will fix that with asmagix, I thought you should know. Same applies for Ruby (there are some Ruby hacks thst do the engine method... and.. well.. bleh)

@@@@@@@@@@

On an UPDATE note though --
    1. I recently got a website, you can check it out at https://gogojjtech.com
    But gogo y it no finished (table flip)
    I just haven't finished yet :P It will have all source, info on the hacks and download links when those are up. Also I'll do some tutorials since I know a lot, and a lot of you like to already learn from me. So why not.
    2. I also completed 2 whole maps. WHY U NO SHOW US :O
    I know.. I know. Later today I will.
    3. Adding to the last, I'm going to start work on Oreburgh and possibly finish Sandgem.. no promises on the last.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2022
    Actually Smeargle was working on it. But since he's no longer with us, I'll need to pick up where he left off.

Doing ANYTHING on FireRed is possible. Any..thing. So saying "it's possible" or "it's impossible" both lead to the same answer - Yes I can do it :D

Doing animations on FireRed really isn't the best thing when you do it from the main routine. Reason is - animations happen every time the sprite is called. Every time. Even before they get to their position in battle etc. Really annoying. Although daniilS will fix that with asmagix, I thought you should know. Same applies for Ruby (there are some Ruby hacks thst do the engine method... and.. well.. bleh)

I see. I really miss the animations. The first pokemon game I ever played was emerald, and part of the reason why I prefer it more than FRLG is because it had animations. Now every hack I play, it's sad that all I see is a single sprite.

Also, are you using the best sprites for each gen from the thread? Platinum Red could have only the Platinum sprites if you get the time to add animations, since you'll be redoing most sprites anyway.

Mr.Mako

Resident Edgelord Troll
    Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2023

Gen 5 demake confirmed......
    Anyway y u no finish site (insert table flip here).
    Keep doing the awesome work.

GoGoJJTech

Years
  • I see. I really miss the animations. The first pokemon game I ever played was emerald, and part of the reason why I prefer it more than FRLG is because it had animations. Now every hack I play, it's sad that all I see is a single sprite.

Also, are you using the best sprites for each gen from the thread? Platinum Red could have only the Platinum sprites if you get the time to add animations, since you'll be redoing most sprites anyway.

Since the resource is from Chaos Rush's 64x64 sprite resource, the second frames will be of those said sprites. Some of them are from DP, HGSS or BW/2 though, so the second frame will be based off of the second frames of the other game or in the case of BW/2 it'd be another good frame.

GoGoJJTech

Years

I know I know
    "GOGO! WHAT
    ARE
    YOU
    DOING
    THOSE TABLE :O"
    I hear you loud and clear. Those tables. Those tables.
    Spoiler:

WELL WHAT HAD HAPPENED WAS..
    I ran out of colors. But the rest of the map is pretty..? I guess.. not bad.. eh..
    Comments?

While you guys rant about them tables I'll just go and start Oreburgh..

SirCharmander

SirCharmander
    Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2016
    What about character animations (like Barry's dance animation)? How hard would that be to implement?

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2021
    I like the maps except for the chair because i dont like outlines.
    Also this counts as one map? Since they are nearly identical mirrored.

Reject217

Great Pokémon Reject
    Years

I know I know
    "GOGO! WHAT
    ARE
    YOU
    DOING
    THOSE TABLE :O"
    I hear you loud and clear. Those tables. Those tables.
    Spoiler:

WELL WHAT HAD HAPPENED WAS..
    I ran out of colors. But the rest of the map is pretty..? I guess.. not bad.. eh..
    Comments?

While you guys rant about them tables I'll just go and start Oreburgh..

From my view, the floor cushions and the stool look out of place in the house. But the rest of the design looks fantastic! Keep it up! (that's all I've been saying huh?)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back