• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2016
    I think Nuzlocke mode would be interesting too.
    (Does it seem like there are too many shinies? The chances should be 1 in 1,024, and I'm quite sure the code is correct. Maybe I'm just lucky, I've done three sped-up playthroughs and found a shiny in each.)

Well, I've been spending most of the time in random battles trying to keep every pokemon around the same level. I must say, I've found quite a bunch of shinies, about a dozen I believe. I actually found a shiny Sneasel before I could find one holding a Razor Claw. I've been in A LOT of random encounters, true, but the difference from a regular 1 in 8,192 game is very noticeable.

Don't know about other people's opinion, but it doesn't bother me or anything. If you're playing without excessive wild battles I guess you should naturally find one or two in each playthrough. That's good, I say keep it as it is.

And since we're talking abount random battles, can I give a suggestion? You know that songs (Pokémon March and Pokémon Lullaby) you can tune on the radio to help attract or repel wild pokemon? They play on the same channel but on alternating days. I think it would be nice to have them on different channels so you could use any of them whenever you want.

Oh, and another fix I forgot to post earlier, Acid should lower Sp. Defense instead of Defense.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Oh, and another fix I forgot to post earlier, Acid should lower Sp. Defense instead of Defense.

Thanks, this is fixed.

I'll consider making two Pokémon Music channels. Might not get around to it until 2.0.1.

This is the shininess code, in case anyone who knows pokecrystal assembly notices a bug.

Code:
    CheckShininess:
    ; Check if a mon is shiny by DVs at bc.
    ; Return carry if shiny.
    ; 1 in 1024 wild Pokémon is shiny.

ld l, c
    	ld h, b

; Attack must be odd (1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, or 15) (1 in 2)
    	ld a, [hl]
    	and 1 << 4
    	jr z, .NotShiny

; Defense must be 2, 3, 7, or 11 (1 in 4)
    	ld a, [hli]
    	and $f
    	cp 2
    	jr z, .MaybeShiny1
    	cp 3
    	jr z, .MaybeShiny1
    	cp 7
    	jr z, .MaybeShiny1
    	cp 11
    	jr nz, .NotShiny

; Speed must be 5 or 13 (1 in 8)
    .MaybeShiny1
    	ld a, [hl]
    	and $f << 4
    	cp 5 << 4
    	jr z, .MaybeShiny2
    	cp 13 << 4
    	jr nz, .NotShiny

; Special must be 15 (1 in 16)
    .MaybeShiny2
    	ld a, [hl]
    	and $f
    	cp 15
    	jr nz, .NotShiny

.Shiny:
    	scf
    	ret

.NotShiny:
    	and a
    	ret

Maybe 1 in 1,024 just isn't all that uncommon. Still, I played a lot of Gold and Crystal as a kid and encountered two shinies, ever.

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
    Thanks, this is fixed.

I'll consider making two Pokémon Music channels. Might not get around to it until 2.0.1.

This is the shininess code, in case anyone who knows pokecrystal assembly notices a bug.

Code:
    CheckShininess:
    ; Check if a mon is shiny by DVs at bc.
    ; Return carry if shiny.
    ; 1 in 1024 wild Pokémon is shiny.

ld l, c
        ld h, b

; Attack must be odd (1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, or 15) (1 in 2)
        ld a, [hl]
        and 1 << 4
        jr z, .NotShiny

; Defense must be 2, 3, 7, or 11 (1 in 4)
        ld a, [hli]
        and $f
        cp 2
        jr z, .MaybeShiny1
        cp 3
        jr z, .MaybeShiny1
        cp 7
        jr z, .MaybeShiny1
        cp 11
        jr nz, .NotShiny

; Speed must be 5 or 13 (1 in 8)
    .MaybeShiny1
        ld a, [hl]
        and $f << 4
        cp 5 << 4
        jr z, .MaybeShiny2
        cp 13 << 4
        jr nz, .NotShiny

; Special must be 15 (1 in 16)
    .MaybeShiny2
        ld a, [hl]
        and $f
        cp 15
        jr nz, .NotShiny

.Shiny:
        scf
        ret

.NotShiny:
        and a
        ret
    Maybe 1 in 1,024 just isn't all that uncommon. Still, I played a lot of Gold and Crystal as a kid and encountered two shinies, ever.
    I have a request and it's not even a major one, I'd like for the berry trees to give out a random(1-3) amount of berries instead of one because not everyone plays the game for days some just play it one day straight so getting more berries instead of one is a good quality of life feature imo

Also the distinction between the two music in the music channel would be nice too! I'd love that feature and makes me want to listen to the radio more than I would admit to do.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Razor Claw in Quiet Cave, Razor Fang in Victory Road. I didn't change Metal Coat at all, it's still on the Fast Ship. (Although in 2.0 it'll be in the Goldenrod Dept. Store basement.)

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2022
    I've just got to Violet City but this already looks like a great sideshow hack! One question though, is there a guide / list on where to find / catch all Pokemon?

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2022
    Razor Claw in Quiet Cave, Razor Fang in Victory Road. I didn't change Metal Coat at all, it's still on the Fast Ship. (Although in 2.0 it'll be in the Goldenrod Dept. Store basement.)

it would be really cool if there was a minigame where you earn points with which to buy evolution items(metal coat, stones, razor fang, razor claw, ecc..)
    Like the Pokeathlon Arena in HG/SS

Veloxenium

Rangi, how difficult do you think it would be to make an "Instant" option for text speed? I know "Fast" is already quite fast, but it can get tiresome mashing A while waiting for the text to scroll for the 10th playthrough.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Rangi, how difficult do you think it would be to make an "Instant" option for text speed? I know "Fast" is already quite fast, but it can get tiresome mashing A while waiting for the text to scroll for the 10th playthrough.

I tried making text instant, but there are certain times when text pauses and then continues without needing to press A—like some in-battle messages—and those don't even show up when text is instant. Right now, Fast text is as fast as possible, updating on every frame.

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2022
    One question - the lady in the gatehouse north of Ilex Forest gives you TM54: False Swipe right? Since they are reusable now, why is it also sold in the Goldenrod Dept. Store? Can you change it to sell a more useful / later-available TM instead? Seems kinda pointless having two.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    You're right about the TMs being redundant. However, I think the placement of TMs in item balls is already balanced. So what I'll do in 2.0 is split the Dept. Store's unique TMs up, with six in each, and move Toxic to the Celadon Game Corner instead of duplicating Dark Pulse (already available in Dark Cave).

Last edited:

Master Terrador

Mostly Dead
    Years
    Best gen 2 hack I've played by far, though the upcoming full prism release might just edge you out ;)
    Anyway quite an awesome experience, definitely comparable to Red++ but much more balanced difficulty wise. That thief bug sucks though, picked the wrong place to turbo grind in and before I knew it all my held items were gone...
    Least I caught a shiny vulpix out of it

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Okay, I've spend a while cleaning up the Battle Tower code and getting rid of all the Mobile Adapter cruft that's irrelevant here and now. Now, it'll be easier to implement features like this:

Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

;)

Best gen 2 hack I've played by far, though the upcoming full prism release might just edge you out

Thanks! Good to know that I'll have competition soon. I'd like to see what the TPP devs have done with it.

That thief bug sucks though, picked the wrong place to turbo grind in and before I knew it all my held items were gone...

I do want to get the 2.0.0 release out quickly, so this probably won't be fixed right away. But if possible, it'll be in a save-compatible 2.0.1 patch.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2016
    Hello to all!I'm new as you can see, I have to thank this hack and you Rangi for my registration!
    You're doing a great job and this is THE best GSC hack I've ever played, he has all: new moves, new pokemon, 6th gen mechanical, EVERYTHING.
    Personally I prefer it even to HG / SS.
    But I have two questions:

1 - What do you think about insert razor fang and razor claw earlier in the game and/or as prizes of the battle tower?
    2 - When v2.0.0 will be availble?Two weeks?One week?I can't wait!

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Personally I prefer it even to HG / SS.

Wow, I'm flattered. :D HG/SS has some of my favorite graphics and music, probably since they're improving on the first Pokémon game I ever played. Since Gen 2 can't really compete with that, I've been focusing more on things like new maps and characters, or mechanics from Gen 5 and beyond.

1 - What do you think about insert razor fang and razor claw earlier in the game and/or as prizes of the battle tower?

In general I'm leaving the evolution items late in the game. Gligar, Sneasel, Electabuzz, Magmar, they're competitive Pokémon already, so their really powerful new evolutions are like a post-game bonus. Even the Stones are rare in Johto, though you can buy them in Celadon City.

I'll consider making them Battle Tower prizes. For now I'm leaving the prize as five random vitamins—which, as an NPC now says, is enough to evolve a Haunter or other trade evo—but the Battle Tower will be getting more changes eventually.

2 - When v2.0.0 will be availble?Two weeks?One week?I can't wait!

Those are both good estimates. It'll be done when it's done. I want to get as many save-breaking features done as possible, so the update after this can be just bugfixes and enhancements to everyone's ongoing game.

Edit: Here's something I hope to finish for 2.0:

Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2016
    Those are both good estimates. It'll be done when it's done. I want to get as many save-breaking features done as possible, so the update after this can be just bugfixes and enhancements to everyone's ongoing game.

I must wait a lot ;-;

Edit: Here's something I hope to finish for 2.0:

You're amazing!

Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2019
    I needs my 2.0 lol. I'm itching for round 2 of pokemon hunting and a nuzlock run. Random suggestion, why don't you get certain powerful tms by beating certain special trainers. Like getting ice beam from Lorelei, dazzling gleam from Valerie, ect. Kinda of a reward and purpose of beating them

Back