• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
    The News Machine in Goldenrod's PokéCom Center has never worked before (after all, there's no mobile news system). Now it has a new purpose: charting your Pokémon's EVs and IVs (or to be less mathematical, effort and potential)!

Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

To enable it, you'll have to breed at least one Egg, then talk to its engineer.

Yooo! This is pretty dope, I dig the new feature, however, have you ever thought of bringing in a feature that increases the quality of IVS of Pokémon? Like an IV enhancer?

Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2020
    I started playing with this hack today and the features are unique, I am really excited about the game.
    I have to say that I encountered a problem: i downloaded the latest version of the hack from github (polishedcrystal-3.0.0-beta-debug-b03d89aa.gbc) and after a few minutes the game crashed.
    Did I do something wrong with the installation or do I use the wrong emulator? I use the visualboy advance m 2.1.4
    Thanks

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I started playing with this hack today and the features are unique, I am really excited about the game.
    I have to say that I encountered a problem: i downloaded the latest version of the hack from github (polishedcrystal-3.0.0-beta-debug-b03d89aa.gbc) and after a few minutes the game crashed.
    Did I do something wrong with the installation or do I use the wrong emulator? I use the visualboy advance m 2.1.4
    Thanks

Hi! Thanks for citing the exact ROM version. Try BGB, Gambatte, or mGBA; VBA isn't known for its accuracy. And if you can, pinpoint when the crash happens and what might be triggering it (talking to an NPC, entering a map, using a move in battle...)

darthbr

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    I have a question before start this game

I Will start At 3.0v cause i want a permanent save. All update Will be compatible in future?

V3. 0 is playable from start to end?

Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2020
    Thanks, with BGB I no longer have any problems.
    Another question: I have arrived in Olivine City and the Battle Tower is closed. Will it open after I defeat the League?

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    The News Machine in Goldenrod's PokéCom Center has never worked before (after all, there's no mobile news system). Now it has a new purpose: charting your Pokémon's EVs and IVs (or to be less mathematical, effort and potential)! To enable it, you'll have to breed at least one Egg, then talk to its engineer.

The interface has been improved: Up/Down switch between Pokémon, and the charts are filled in.

Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

I have arrived in Olivine City and the Battle Tower is closed. Will it open after I defeat the League?

Yes.

Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2021
    First things First, what an awsome hack ranji! Definitely one of the best ive played!

I do have a question though. Ive tried in both Azalea, route 33, and route 42 to find a heracross in the trees day and night, all i find are Ekans and Pidgeys. Are there special trees that spawn heracross? how do i get one or am i just unlucky

Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2020
    The reason you may not find it is because the location of all the Pokemon is based on your trainer id. There are tools on the internet that can help you to find where the most amount of heracross will appear and its easy to use.

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2020
    Can you add an option to change the IV and EV values to your liking? After you win the league or something? I think that would be lovely.
    It is already a good hack though. :)

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Can you add an option to change the IV and EV values to your liking? After you win the league or something? I think that would be lovely.
    It is already a good hack though. :)

Vitamins already do that for EVs; remember, Gen 2 didn't have a 510 EV/stat exp cap. IVs are static, but the "Perfect IVs" option can force them all to maximum (though to be fair, it applies to the NPCs too).

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2023
    Hey there! First off, I have to say that this is probably the best hack I've ever played, and I've played my fair share. It's really impressive how alive and coherent you make Johto feel!

Anyway, I just made an account to deliver bug/ oversight reports as I play through the beta (hope this is the right place to do so). I haven't found any bugs per se, but I've run into a few apparent AI oversights.

Spoiler:

Beyond that, I noticed that with the Pokemon name rater, the letters start out capitalized, then move to lower case for the rest of the word (as they should). However, if you then backspace back to the first letter, they all stay lowercase, meaning that you have to move the cursor down and hit caps again to capitalize the first letter. Seems like in this case, it would be optimal for the letters to automatically switch back to caps upon backspacing to the start. Really small touch and doesn't really matter in the long run, but would be nice to have.

Anyway, keep up the good work! Looking forward to the Galarian and Alolan forms! (They're not all fully implemented yet, are they?)

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Hey there! First off, I have to say that this is probably the best hack I've ever played, and I've played my fair share. It's really impressive how alive and coherent you make Johto feel!

Anyway, I just made an account to deliver bug/ oversight reports as I play through the beta (hope this is the right place to do so). I haven't found any bugs per se, but I've run into a few apparent AI oversights.

Beyond that, I noticed that with the Pokemon name rater, the letters start out capitalized, then move to lower case for the rest of the word (as they should). However, if you then backspace back to the first letter, they all stay lowercase, meaning that you have to move the cursor down and hit caps again to capitalize the first letter. Seems like in this case, it would be optimal for the letters to automatically switch back to caps upon backspacing to the start. Really small touch and doesn't really matter in the long run, but would be nice to have.

Anyway, keep up the good work! Looking forward to the Galarian and Alolan forms! (They're not all fully implemented yet, are they?)

Hi! Thanks for the bug reports.

That's a pretty good idea for the naming screen; it's now added. :)

Alolan/Galarian forms are available by Wonder Trade, and a few NPCs use them, but they're not in the wild yet.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2023
    Another bug report:

Just caught a Pikachu in the Yellow Forest, and on the new entry pokedex screen right after the battle, the sprite is all chopped up into different pieces. (It looks like perhaps what the sprite might look like during insertion?) Unfortunately, I'm playing on 3DS, so I don't have a handy way to take a screenshot.

Going back to the pokedex after being caught, the sprite is normal. (There is still of course the glitched "seen" word on the Pokedex screen, but I'm sure you already know about that.)
    When I check Pikachu in the PC, the sprite is also fine, meaning that the glitch happened only during capture, for some reason.

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2021
    I beat the game with version 3.0.0 beta with nuzlock rules. (I beat Green/Leaf)

Few things you might consider:

Thief not being able to steal held items from wild Pokémon is a huge flaw IMO, while it makes sense for trainer-battles, please make Thief useful again.
    With nuzlock rules you most probably can't catch Bellsprout or Oddish for the Silver/Gold-leafs and this means NO tutoring except the elemental punches.

Hatching an egg makes your overworld sprite glitched, only recoverable by saving and restarting the game(via in-game soft reset).

Please add just a few(maybe 1-2, max 3) fire Pokémon in the early game(pre-Pryce) and make roar a Lvl up move higher than the encounters, because running away from a Growlith just sucks...(except the legendary beasts of course)

Make happiness easier to get, maybe make all increases flat, instead of diminishing.

Maybe making all Pokémon have a 50% chance of being male or female would be good too, there is no real argument for the original percentages.

Would the rebattling mechanic from the newer generations be too much of a hassle? Because right now, the only preparation for the elite 4 is fighting wild Pokémon in victory road, which is really tedious and boring.

All in all a nice romhack, I enjoyed it and would play it again, after some changes here and there :)

itsdarsh

Contender
    Years
    Thief not being able to steal held items from wild Pokémon is a huge flaw IMO, while it makes sense for trainer-battles, please make Thief useful again.
    With nuzlock rules you most probably can't catch Bellsprout or Oddish for the Silver/Gold-leafs and this means NO tutoring except the elemental punches.

Is this issue arising whenever you knock out a wild Pokemon with Thief, or just when you hit a wild Pokemon with Thief?

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
    It's been a while since I've posted an update here. However, Polished Crystal 3.0 is steadily progressing; all the activity has just been on the Discord. You can also read the commit log to see every single update.

There's now a nightly beta release that gets automatically built after every commit. It can corrupt or break save files, so if you're playing for fun and are happy with the beta you're on, you may as well stick with it.

Good lord girl i didn't knew you upgraded your hack, geuss i have to download it again then

Will my last save work?

Update

Oh fudge i geuss not

Last edited:

itsdarsh

Contender
    Years
    Another bug report:

Just caught a Pikachu in the Yellow Forest, and on the new entry pokedex screen right after the battle, the sprite is all chopped up into different pieces. (It looks like perhaps what the sprite might look like during insertion?) Unfortunately, I'm playing on 3DS, so I don't have a handy way to take a screenshot.

I've been looking into this, but after catching both a normal Pikachu and a flying Pikachu in Yellow Fores I haven't been able to replicate this. Could you give me any more background on this issue, such as what build you were using?

Back