• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

uchihamadada

Victory! Means Others Destruction!!
    Years
    Hm, you're right about Valerie. Fixed. :)

Also, here's the revised Faraway Island. Trees and grass are separate shades of green. Unfortunately I had to remove the highlights from the tall grass because the palette just cannot accommodate them. It's a worthwhile tradeoff. And Mew now wanders around, though you can't really see the new sprite through the grass.

Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Great! I love the effect on your feet when you're crossing the water puddles...I was wondering if you will add the Mew's persecution, I just forget to ask you. Nice work!

A question: it's related to the new item "Zinc", when Gen III arrives years ago, I noticed that when I try to add vitamins to my pkms (all kind of vitamins available), at the end I necessarily had to sacrifice some stat because I can only add 51 vitamins...I mean, always 9 vitamins can't be use it in a pkm...In 3.0 will happen the same?

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Great! I love the effect on your feet when you're crossing the water puddles...I was wondering if you will add the Mew's persecution, I just forget to ask you. Nice work!

I don't plan on making Mew run away from you, no.

A question: it's related to the new item "Zinc", when Gen III arrives years ago, I noticed that when I try to add vitamins to my pkms (all kind of vitamins available), at the end I necessarily had to sacrifice some stat because I can only add 51 vitamins...I mean, always 9 vitamins can't be use it in a pkm...In 3.0 will happen the same?

Vitamins will give up to 252 EVs (in canon, they only give up to 100). If you already have 243 or more, the vitamin won't work, since it would be partly wasted.

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    For a moment I thought I was looking at a 3gen picture... then I noticed the occasional oddity in it and realized it was 2gen.

EDIT: Shouldn't Lance have Kingdra in the rematch? I mean, it's a dragon...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2017
    I have a couple of fairly specific questions, hope you don't mind answering.

-Did you make Misdreavus/Mismagius part fairy? If not, how would i make an edit like that?
    Also, how quickly can i get a Misdreavus in this hack?
    -Does Scyther evolve into Scizor some other method than trade? Also Scyther can still be found in the safari zone right?
    -Do we still get an Eevee from bill? Also how do we get waterstones in this hack?

Last edited:

Linnie

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2022
    Misdreavus can be caught on Route 47 if I remember correctly. It and its evolution are both Ghost/Fairy.

All trade items are just regular evolution items, you use the Metal Coat on Scyther just like you would a stone. Scyther can be caught as part of the Bug-Catching Contest.

You do get Eevee from Bill.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2017
    Misdreavus can be caught on Route 47 if I remember correctly. It and its evolution are both Ghost/Fairy.

All trade items are just regular evolution items, you use the Metal Coat on Scyther just like you would a stone. Scyther can be caught as part of the Bug-Catching Contest.

You do get Eevee from Bill.

That's great news for me, thanks Linnie!

I'm assuming we can still use thief in this hack to steal metal coat from wild Magnemite right? And water stones can be obtained from the fisherman in route 42?

Linnie

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2022
    Both of those should still be in, yes. Bill's Grandpa is also in Goldenrod in this hack, so you can get one of each evolutionary stone from him as well.

Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2017
    Hi!

I'm currently experiencing a few bugs that is at least text, and it might go further into battle mechanics.

1) I started with cyndaquil and got him to learn ember. During the fight with the rival upon leaving cherrywood, when his rival used water gun against me, the text came up as "not very effective". Is this just a text bug or are type match-ups incorrect as well when doing damage calculations?

2) While in Violet City and the bellsprout tower, the same thing happens when I battle bellsprouts, my ember says it's not very effective.

3) Also while in the tower, I experienced ember missing surprisingly often. Is ember not 100% accuracy? This is before any status changing moves have occured so I know my accuracy hasn't been dropped.

4) While leveling up and on the stat change pop-up, I see up and down arrows in addition to the stat numbers. I don't think this has any effect on the game, just a visual thing.

5) Again in the bellsprout tower while battling one of the lower level trainers, their bellsprouts very quickly end up using struggle. This suggests there might be a problem resetting the trainer pp?

Thanks in advanced! This looks like a very promising throwback to the 200+ hours of my childhood! Apologies if these are already known bugs.

Cheers,

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2017
    Hi!

I'm currently experiencing a few bugs that is at least text, and it might go further into battle mechanics.

1) I started with cyndaquil and got him to learn ember. During the fight with the rival upon leaving cherrywood, when his rival used water gun against me, the text came up as "not very effective". Is this just a text bug or are type match-ups incorrect as well when doing damage calculations?

2) While in Violet City and the bellsprout tower, the same thing happens when I battle bellsprouts, my ember says it's not very effective.

3) Also while in the tower, I experienced ember missing surprisingly often. Is ember not 100% accuracy? This is before any status changing moves have occured so I know my accuracy hasn't been dropped.

4) While leveling up and on the stat change pop-up, I see up and down arrows in addition to the stat numbers. I don't think this has any effect on the game, just a visual thing.

5) Again in the bellsprout tower while battling one of the lower level trainers, their bellsprouts very quickly end up using struggle. This suggests there might be a problem resetting the trainer pp?

Thanks in advanced! This looks like a very promising throwback to the 200+ hours of my childhood! Apologies if these are already known bugs.

Cheers,

I didn't have the same problem you stated in 1, 2, 3 and 5, my embers were SE on bell sprout and they didn't miss at all. Trainers in sprout tower also didn't seem to use struggle until around 20+ uses of vine whip, which is normal. I'm not really sure what you meant in point 4 so i couldn't really test it out.

Since i didn't experience any of these i'm guessing it's probably something to do with the ROM you used.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    -Does Scyther evolve into Scizor some other method than trade? Also Scyther can still be found in the safari zone right?

You actually make Scyther hold the Metal Coat, but instead of trading it you level it up. Same goes for the other trade-with-held-item evolutions.

Hi!

Cheers,

The arrows in the stat change pop-up are because of your Pokémon's nature. Check out its stats; one gets raised and one lowered.

The type, accuracy, and PP issues are all new to me. I can't replicate them. Make sure you're using the right base ROM.

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2023
    I'd still call two shinies before Ecruteak a bit too common. Anyway, in 3.0 the chances will be 1 in 4,096, just like Gen VI.

Sounds solid to me, but for clarification Tentacool was during backtracking just before Chuck and Misdreavus was after making it back to Goldenrod when I started over. Though I'm curious how shiny breeding will work in 3.0, since you're working on splitting DVs from things like gender and shininess. Would it simply change to fit with Gen VI mechanics? I imagine the 1/32 chance would be a bit out of place if shininess was no longer tied to DVs, unless it was just dependent on whether or not a parent is shiny or something. I guess it would depend more on how you plan to handle breeding mechanics. Most players probably don't mess with breeding too much in regular playthroughs, so it's not really important for now, I suppose.

Interesting, I look forward to hearing about this! And yes, you'll definitely have to grind if you want to keep 12 Pokémon on par with the NPCs.

I'm usually a few levels below bosses, as much as 10 below the Champion's ace when I get there, so I'm interested in seeing how that plays out in a hack that curves all the way to 100. I'll keep you posted :)

Hm, you're right. I gave Submission to more Pokémon because it was an RBY TM and HGSS tutor move, but it's not a very good one. Superpower is missing from 8 learnsets and Close Combat from 4, so maybe I'll replace it with one of them. For now I'll buff it to 120 power like Double-Edge and Flare Blitz.

Replacing it in a future update is probably the best idea, and I think Close Combat is probably more missed than Superpower. Close Combat is more often a STAB move of choice, whereas Superpower is usually for coverage, and Strength could probably fill that role better than it would Close Combat's. Still kind of a toss up, though. Maybe have a vote when there aren't more pressing things to be decided?

Note that the latest code is in an incomplete state: there are in-progress features and definitely bugs.

I'll post anything weird I run across, as well as text errors and the like. I'm pretty thorough about talking to NPCs and checking around areas, so I'm sure I'll run into something.

I haven't added more phone-call trainers because I'm lazy. :P Testing/debugging them would mean running around waiting for them to call, and triggering whatever events are necessary to update what they say+do. I'll see about adding more, although it's low-priority given everything else that needs doing.

I'd be glad to do some testing whenever they get added, but it definitely sounds like a 3.1+ kind of feature.

Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2023
    Any ETA on 3.0? I'd like to keep going on my file but I'm not very far and don't wanna get too far if 3.0 is going to corrupt it. Great job on all the new stuff btw.

uchihamadada

Victory! Means Others Destruction!!
    Years
    Rangi, Will you make an update to phone call trainer's matches, I mean, with 5 or 6 pkms in their teams and with better levels? (Trainers like GAVEN, REENA, VANCE, KENJI, CHAD, DANNA, ERIN, ANTHONY, etc).

By the way the ACE TRAINER "BETH" placed near the door of Victory Road...used to have a Flaaffy and Rapidash in her party, after a couple of rematches she return to have only her original Rapidash, also in a lower level...you need to check who is the "final version" of that trainer in rom data...actually, I've hacked crystal (my own rom version) with "OneGSCTrainer.exe" few months ago...and I had the same problem with BETH, because the final version of the trainers it shows first that the previous trainer versions...

Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2023
    I also wanted to ask. Since I'm bit behind on Pokemon times and what not, a friend was telling me in the newer games, they changed XP to where it didn't matter who you used but once the battle was over, your whole team got the XP. Is it possible to incorporate that?

Z34guy

Pretty Little Psycho
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2022
    I also wanted to ask. Since I'm bit behind on Pokemon times and what not, a friend was telling me in the newer games, they changed XP to where it didn't matter who you used but once the battle was over, your whole team got the XP. Is it possible to incorporate that?
    That effect was in the very first Red and Blue games so long as you had the EXP ALL item in your items pouch.
    When Gold, Silver and Crystal came out, EXP ALL was changed into the EXP SHARE. EXP SHARE works only as a held item. Have a pokemon hold it and that pokemon will gain experience points from other pokemon's battles... so long as it's in your party.

Nothing like the EXP ALL has existed since Red, Blue, and Yellow. The closest would be the Fire Red hack "Nameless FireRed Project" which has a feature like the EXP ALL in the options menu.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
    Started playing this last night and I'm having a blast. Just got to Goldenrod and the Wonder Trade is awesome, just sat there for ages getting my Pokédex count up :).

Tendoman77

Formerly known as "Da Man"
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2024
    That effect was in the very first Red and Blue games so long as you had the EXP ALL item in your items pouch.
    When Gold, Silver and Crystal came out, EXP ALL was changed into the EXP SHARE. EXP SHARE works only as a held item. Have a pokemon hold it and that pokemon will gain experience points from other pokemon's battles... so long as it's in your party.

Nothing like the EXP ALL has existed since Red, Blue, and Yellow. The closest would be the Fire Red hack "Nameless FireRed Project" which has a feature like the EXP ALL in the options menu.

Didn't the EXP ALL return in X & Y as a retooled EXP SHARE that you can turn on and off as you wish?

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Any ETA on 3.0? I'd like to keep going on my file but I'm not very far and don't wanna get too far if 3.0 is going to corrupt it. Great job on all the new stuff btw.

No ETA, hopefully in 2016.

Rangi, Will you make an update to phone call trainer's matches, I mean, with 5 or 6 pkms in their teams and with better levels? (Trainers like GAVEN, REENA, VANCE, KENJI, CHAD, DANNA, ERIN, ANTHONY, etc).

By the way the ACE TRAINER "BETH" placed near the door of Victory Road...used to have a Flaaffy and Rapidash in her party, after a couple of rematches she return to have only her original Rapidash, also in a lower level...you need to check who is the "final version" of that trainer in rom data...actually, I've hacked crystal (my own rom version) with "OneGSCTrainer.exe" few months ago...and I had the same problem with BETH, because the final version of the trainers it shows first that the previous trainer versions...

Yeah, I'll revise those.

Didn't the EXP ALL return in X & Y as a retooled EXP SHARE that you can turn on and off as you wish?

I'm not going to implement the new-style Exp Share. RBY's Exp All equally distributed the experience, but Gen VI's Exp Share duplicates it. Having the option to gain six times as much experience (with a full party) breaks the level curve: either the game is too easy with Exp Share on, or too hard with it off.

Back