• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I've fact-checked myself just to be sure and it looks like it isn't the case. If you miss a preevolution-only level up move it looks like the evolved Pokemon can never ever learn it, like if Eevee evolves before learning Baton Pass then it can never learn it.

So take that as you will. :P Keeping it that way might make more sense in the long run.

I think I'll keep it. According to Bulbapedia, "From Generation VI onward, any Pok?mon hatched in Generation VI onward may also be taught any move it knew when it hatched; this includes Egg Moves, level-up moves bred onto a Pok?mon, and Volt Tackle bred onto Pichu." This is impossible in Polished Crystal since there's no record of such moves once erased so learning pre-evolution-exclusive moves seems like a neat alternative.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    Good idea. I'd say it also makes sense from a logical perspective, there's no reason why an evolved form shouldn't be able to learn something its pre-evolution could. And there's no longer a punishment for evolving something "too early". ^^

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2023
    A little while ago, you mentioned altering a few of the shinies to make them more distinct (thus differentiating them from the slightly different coloured Pokemon obtainable within the game). Have you considered taking inspiration from Colosseum or XD GoD's shinies? A lot of them are different from the core games (such as Quilava's shiny having a green flame in Colosseum) so it could be a more canon set of custom shiny Pokemon.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    A little while ago, you mentioned altering a few of the shinies to make them more distinct (thus differentiating them from the slightly different coloured Pokemon obtainable within the game). Have you considered taking inspiration from Colosseum or XD GoD's shinies? A lot of them are different from the core games (such as Quilava's shiny having a green flame in Colosseum) so it could be a more canon set of custom shiny Pokemon.

I could consider them. Is there a list of the changed ones? This is the most I've found.

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2023
    I could consider them. Is there a list of the changed ones? This is the most I've found.

The only place I can find is https://www.greenchu.de/sprites/colosseum/sprites/rare/001.png

I haven't embedded the link because the only way to view them is one-by-one, changing the three digit number at the end to correspond with the pokedex number of what you're looking for.

I'll sift through them and make a list of the ones that look different, since you have more pressing things you could be working on for the hack. I'll get back to you in a bit :P

EDIT: Ok, half an hour later, I'm back. There weren't quite as many drastic changes as I remembered (I guess I was over-emphasising the golden Ludicolo that I remember so vividly), but I still have a couple of things for consideration.

Victreebel has much brighter colours which stand out more than its original shiny.

Seadra is much a lighter blue with pink tips on its fins, which were not introduced until after Crystal.

Scyther looks more golden with pinkish wings.

The Cyndaquil line doesn't have its flames out in these images, but there's a video of them in action. You can also see the green points on Quilava in this sprite. I have no idea about Cyndaquil, but Typhlosion sadly loses its green fire when it evolves in these games. Maybe they could still be kept among all three for the sake of originality?

Hitmontop in G/S/C had weird colours anyway, making its actual 2nd gen shiny moderately accurate, but it's normal colours slightly wrong. However, its Colosseum shiny looks a lot different. A good compromise would, in my opinion, be to keep the grey skin of the real shiny, but with the pink body of the Colosseum one.

Last edited:

uchihamadada

Victory! Means Others Destruction!!
    Years
    Hi Rangi! I reacently fought agains Jasmine (Rematch) and a little idea for her party comes to my mind...
    "What about replace one of her Magnezones, with a Magneton holding an eviolite?". Just like Colress in Pkm Black/White 2.

By the way, I am curious to see the animations of the new attacks, is there any video you have made of them? Greetings :)

BronzeSwagger

Sugar&Spice
    Years
    I was going to show off my party with screenshots, but I don't have my usb with me so I'll just list it. I'm getting ready to tackle the League for the first time.

Starmie, Level 50
    Water/Psychic
    Timid
    -Surf
    -Relfect
    -Recover
    -Thunderbolt

Bellossom, Level 49
    Grass
    Modest
    -Giga Drain
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Sleep Powder
    -Leech Seed

Ninetales, Level 51
    Fire/Ghost
    Timid
    -Flamethrower
    -Extrasensory
    -Confuse Ray
    -Shadow Ball

Lapras, Level 49
    Water/Ice
    Quiet
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -Sing
    -Ice Shard

Wigglytuff Level 53
    Normal/Fairy
    Modest
    -Hyper Voice
    -Dazzling Gleam
    -Substitute
    -Shadow Ball

Was going to add a 6th, but never found one I liked well enough, was thinking of catching/training one of the Victory Road mons, then start WT'ing at Goldenrod. Speaking of which, the only WT'd mon I own currently is Lapras.

Unown Seer

Earnest
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2020
    What are the typing changes for the non-Faithful version? I think that Ampharos should get a secondary Dragon typing given its Mega Evolution and Japanese name. I can understand keeping Aerodactyl and Gyarados unchanged since they already have unique typings.

Also, since you don't mind using forms from the anime, the Orange Islands have a lot of options. The pink variants are silly, but the Valencian variants are interesting (especially Vileplume and Butterfree) and so is Crystal Onix. I know that Pokemon Orange already has those, but still. And there are non-Orange options like Snowmen Snorlax, golden Sudowoodo and the Pok?mopolis Gengar/Alakazam/Jigglypuff trio.

But above all... This needs to happen and it would be a great fit for Clair. You could give it Delta Stream (I'd call it Clear Rainbow) as an ability, which would be justified since it can change the weather. Alternatively, you could give it Forecast, which would change the secondary type (Flying) to either Water, Fire or Ice depending on the weather. Base stats along the lines of 91/84/65/120/100/120 would work without stepping on Dragonite's toes.

And finally, have the Extreme Speed Dratini evolve into it and make Clair jealous that she isn't special anymore.

Last edited:

BronzeSwagger

Sugar&Spice
    Years
    But above all... This needs to happen and it would be a great fit for Clair. You could give it Delta Stream (I'd call it Clear Rainbow) as an ability, which would be justified since it can change the weather. Alternatively, you could give it Forecast, which would change the secondary type (Flying) to either Water, Fire or Ice depending on the weather. Base stats along the lines of 91/84/65/120/100/120 would work without stepping on Dragonite's toes.

And finally, have the Extreme Speed Dratini evolve into it and make Clair jealous that she isn't special anymore.

Delta Stream couldn't be a thing as the hack doesn't have abilities to begin with. The only changes she made was to typing, stats, and that she enabled natures for Pokemon.

That being said, ExtremeSpeed would definately be a plus to 1 or 2 of her Dragonairs.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Victreebel has much brighter colours which stand out more than its original shiny.

Seadra is much a lighter blue with pink tips on its fins, which were not introduced until after Crystal.

Scyther looks more golden with pinkish wings.

The Cyndaquil line doesn't have its flames out in these images, but there's a video of them in action. You can also see the green points on Quilava in this sprite. I have no idea about Cyndaquil, but Typhlosion sadly loses its green fire when it evolves in these games. Maybe they could still be kept among all three for the sake of originality?

Hitmontop in G/S/C had weird colours anyway, making its actual 2nd gen shiny moderately accurate, but it's normal colours slightly wrong. However, its Colosseum shiny looks a lot different. A good compromise would, in my opinion, be to keep the grey skin of the real shiny, but with the pink body of the Colosseum one.

Thank you! I'll see about adapting these.

Hi Rangi! I reacently fought agains Jasmine (Rematch) and a little idea for her party comes to my mind...
    "What about replace one of her Magnezones, with a Magneton holding an eviolite?". Just like Colress in Pkm Black/White 2.

By the way, I am curious to see the animations of the new attacks, is there any video you have made of them? Greetings :)

Well, her initial team now has five Pok?mon and just one Magneton, and her rematch team only has two Magnezone in Faithful. She's supposed to have a retyped Steel/Rock Rhyperior (because Gen 2 didn't have enough Steel types).

What are the typing changes for the non-Faithful version? I think that Ampharos should get a secondary Dragon typing given its Mega Evolution and Japanese name. I can understand keeping Aerodactyl and Gyarados unchanged since they already have unique typings.

Also, since you don't mind using forms from the anime, the Orange Islands have a lot of options. The pink variants are silly, but the Valencian variants are interesting (especially Vileplume and Butterfree) and so is Crystal Onix. I know that Pokemon Orange already has those, but still. And there are non-Orange options like Snowmen Snorlax, golden Sudowoodo and the Pok?mopolis Gengar/Alakazam/Jigglypuff trio.

Delta Stream couldn't be a thing as the hack doesn't have abilities to begin with. The only changes she made was to typing, stats, and that she enabled natures for Pokemon.

That being said, ExtremeSpeed would definately be a plus to 1 or 2 of her Dragonairs.

Actually.. :) FredrIQ has done a great job almost singlehandedly implementing abilities for 3.0. You can see which ones are included and which ones are unfinished.

That said, I won't be adding a Mega legendary's signature ability to a new form of Dragonair. It's a cool concept to design a game around, but not as a last-minute addition for one Gym Leader. And Crystal is already designed around Suicune.

I also considered making Ampharos Electric/Dragon, and Gyarados Water/Dragon, but rejected them because that could give you a powerful Dragon type far too early.

I may add the Orange Islands' Butterfree and Vileplume sprites, but they'd only be graphical changes. Forms do not yet allow anything else to change. I hope to add that as a feature in 4.0, along with the Alolan forms of Kanto Pok?mon in sensible locations.

BronzeSwagger

Sugar&Spice
    Years
    Actually.. :) FredrIQ has done a great job almost singlehandedly implementing abilities for 3.0. You can see which ones are included and which ones are unfinished.
    Oh, I was unaware of that, I apologize.
    I did read everything that was unfinished. And I loved some of the ideas you're implementing.
    Just thought I'd ask though and hope its not a bother, but do you currently have a chosen release date for 3.0?

I'm still doing my current playthrough, but I figured I'd pace myself until the next release but didn't know if I should, so its why I asked.

Unown Seer

Earnest
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2020
    That said, I won't be adding a Mega legendary's signature ability to a new form of Dragonair. It's a cool concept to design a game around, but not as a last-minute addition for one Gym Leader. And Crystal is already designed around Suicune.
    I don't see how it would steal Suicune's thunder. A Dragonair form would just be an interesting alternative to Dragonite, which many players would probably find cool (like Eternal Floette).

I'd do it for 4.0 if I were you, but it's your decision. I am not counting on anyone using it as a mascot for an original game.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    If diversity is that big of an issue for Gym Leader rosters, then what about having some of the Gym Leaders have a single "dark horse" Pokemon that doesn't fit with their type specialty even in Modified? Are there any Steel-types, for example, that could possibly fit into Clair's team (preferably not Steelix since it's Jasmine's signature 'mon)?

Unown Seer

Earnest
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2020
    Clair used Ampharos, Rhydon, Arcanine, Lapras, Nidoking, Charizard and Gyarados in Stadium 2 (between the two rounds). To be honest, I'm in favor of the non-Faithful version following Stadium 2 as much as possible (obviously, a few Stadium 2 choice might be unfitting or less needed due to the cross-generational evolutions).

On a separate note, the legendary beasts should have their original hidden abilities (Volt Absord, Flash Fire and Water Absorb) rather than Pressure or Inner Focus.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    The first Magikarp Jump update is out, and with it, three new patterns: Tiger, Zebra, and Stripe! Tiger was already semi-visible in a screenshot, but Zebra and Stripe are all new. Trev or Deokishisu, would either of you mind spriting them, or shall I?

Edit: Here they are!

Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2018
    Does anyone know what happened to the old FAQ? There's some items I'm looking for in 2.2 but can't seem to find them or the FAQ in the readme anymore.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    For the players who want more competitive battling without relying on luck, I've added the option to calculate stats assuming perfect IVs.

This will apply to NPCs as well as the player. And IVs are still 0−15 internally, so Hidden Power types, color variation, and anything else that depends on IV values will still be random.

For example, here's a level 100 Mew with no EVs:

According to Psypoke's IV calculator, its IVs aren't that great:

But with the Perfect IVs option on, it has the maximum stat values:

(This is one of the initial options, meant to be set only at the beginning of the game. You can "cheat" and press Left+B at the title screen to reset them, just like Down+B resets the clock, but you'll have to deposit and withdraw your Pokémon to recalculate its stats.)

Last edited:
    Back