• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2022
    Well, just beaten the final boss (well, who I assume to be the final boss), so here are my first impressions / thoughts:

- The updated moves / movesets, post-GSC Pokemon, and updated game mechanics work brilliantly. I didn't notice and bugs or flaws during my playthrough and, for the most part, was really happy with the selection of Pokemon, TMs and learnsets on offer.
    - However, I would prefer it if there were couple of moves present that are currently though, ones that would improve certain pokemon / offensive types - particularly reliable Fighting moves like Brick Break / Sky Uppercut and Aura Sphere, as that type in particular is very lacking in widespread reliable offensive moves and there are one or two TMs that could be replaced to make room for better moves such as the aforementioned Brick Break (Defense Curl comes to mind as a particularly useless TM). Aerial Ace would also be a nice TM as physical flying type moves are essentially limited to Fly for the unlucky souls that do not learn Drill Peck.
    - I loved the updated map and larger / new / updated areas, like Olivine harbour, Yellow Forest, Seafoam Islands, Cinnabar Volcano, etc etc. They really improved the feeling of exploration and made Kanto significantly more enjoyable. Generally there was a well-balanced selection of wild Pokemon in each area too.
    - The graphical improvements throughout the game, while minor, really made the whole experience more enjoyable. A pretty game is an immersive game. :)

So on the whole, I really enjoyed it. There's a few tweaks I would like but for the most part, an excellent hack, well done.

And one final question for when I replay it - how do I evolve my Porygon, Magmar or Electabuzz? I cannot find the UpGrade, Magmarizer or Electirizer anywhere...

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed playing it.

However, I would prefer it if there were couple of moves present that are currently though, ones that would improve certain pokemon / offensive types - particularly reliable Fighting moves like Brick Break / Sky Uppercut and Aura Sphere, as that type in particular is very lacking in widespread reliable offensive moves and there are one or two TMs that could be replaced to make room for better moves such as the aforementioned Brick Break (Defense Curl comes to mind as a particularly useless TM). Aerial Ace would also be a nice TM as physical flying type moves are essentially limited to Fly for the unlucky souls that do not learn Drill Peck.

The issue isn't TM space (although I've used that up too, but can always add more Move Tutors), but move space. All 254 are taken. I've removed many moves already, and don't want to be left with too few weak/mid ones for the early game. Also, I edited Rock Smash to have the same power as Brick Break, and Fly is 100% accurate. So they're not too bad. I mean, I'd love to add more moves, but it just can't be done without losing something.

Regarding your examples, I like Aura Sphere and Sky Uppercut as moves, but specifically chose not to add them because too few Pokémon learn them. Sky Uppercut is literally just Hitmonchan and Gligar/Gliscor, and Aura Sphere is just Mewtwo, Mew, and Togekiss. Focus Blast fits the role of Aura Sphere well enough, and while Sky Uppercut could be creatively added to some more Pokémon, I'd rather stick with their canon moves like Cross Chop and Rock Smash. (If I added another physical Fighting move, it would probably be Close Combat.)

Edit: Hm, Defense Curl is TM40, Aerial Ace is the new TM40. If I can decide on a move that's worth replacing, I'll do it. But all the easy ones have been removed already—Withdraw merged with Defense Curl, Spider Web merged with Mean Look, Present gone, Sharpen gone, even Synthesis and Morning Sun were merged into one move that's best in the day or the morning.

Edit 2: Okay, should I merge Powder Snow with Icy Wind and add Aerial Ace instead?

I loved the updated map and larger / new / updated areas, like Olivine harbour, Yellow Forest, Seafoam Islands, Cinnabar Volcano, etc etc. They really improved the feeling of exploration and made Kanto significantly more enjoyable. Generally there was a well-balanced selection of wild Pokemon in each area too.

Great. :) You'll like 2.0 then, it makes Goldenrod Harbor much more interesting, and adds a couple of special new locations.

The graphical improvements throughout the game, while minor, really made the whole experience more enjoyable. A pretty game is an immersive game.

That was one of my favorite aspects of Crystal after playing Gold. Things like the Burned Tower and Lance's room, and entire new tilesets like Ice Path.

And one final question for when I replay it - how do I evolve my Porygon, Magmar or Electabuzz? I cannot find the UpGrade, Magmarizer or Electirizer anywhere...

• Up-Grade: Upper floor of Silph Co.
    • Dubious Disc: Celadon City.
    • Magmarizer: Cinnabar Island, same as HG/SS.
    • Electirizer: Rock Tunnel.

I suppose I should make a list of these things for when 2.0 comes out...

Last edited:

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    I guess I can wait a few days before playing again, this looks like pretty cool collection of changes. It'll be worth waiting for.

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
  • Go ahead, but please start a new save file when 2.0 actually comes out. I don't know what kind of glitches could happen otherwise. :P

Well, here's what has to be done before 2.0:

• Revise the Silver Wing event
    • Write dialog for one more trainer
    • Add more Battle Tower trainers and Pokémon
    • Fix Gold Berry to heal 25%, not 30 HP
    • Adjust Kanto levels

Here's what might get done if time permits, but will probably be pushed back to 2.0.1:

• Add sprites for Surfing and Flying Pikachu
    • Extend Kanto's sea routes and add more trainers

And here's what definitely won't be in 2.0, but could be in a save-compatible 2.0.1 or 2.1 update:

• A Giovanni event
    • Show Pokémon portraits when using HM moves
    • Larger Kanto maps like in RBY
    • Other things on the to-do list
    I was planning todo a nuzlocke run in the official release I might play a vanilla run with the unofficial build :)
    I saw your todo list and it's quite awesome just any of those features could be ground breaking imo
    I'll continue to support you. You can count on that :D

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2022
    Edit: Hm, Defense Curl is TM40, Aerial Ace is the new TM40. If I can decide on a move that's worth replacing, I'll do it. But all the easy ones have been removed already—Withdraw merged with Defense Curl, Spider Web merged with Mean Look, Present gone, Sharpen gone, even Synthesis and Morning Sun were merged into one move that's best in the day or the morning.

Edit 2: Okay, should I merge Powder Snow with Icy Wind and add Aerial Ace instead?

• Up-Grade: Upper floor of Silph Co.
    • Dubious Disc: Celadon City.
    • Magmarizer: Cinnabar Island, same as HG/SS.
    • Electirizer: Rock Tunnel.

Thanks for the list :)

I think Powder Snow and Icy Wind are different enough to merit separate moveslots. Lemme think which useless moves could be replaced.
    • EDIT: Is Comet Punch gone? Literally only Hitmonchan and Kangaskhan learn it as far as I'm aware, and it's a useless move anyway.
    • There's also Barrage which only Exeggcute/-tor gets and is similarly crappy.
      Bubble and Water Gun are essentially identical moves since Bubble got buffed to 40 power, so they could be merged if they aren't already?
    • Constrict is literally the worst move in the game and nobody would be sad to see it go.
    • If both Guillotine and Horn Drill are still present, they could be merged as they are identical in practice.
    • Octazooka might be a signature move but it's useless, since by the time you can have an Octillery you already have access to the superior Surf. That would be a good option to replace.

Master Terrador

Mostly Dead
    Years
  • Thanks for the list :)

I think Powder Snow and Icy Wind are different enough to merit separate moveslots. Lemme think which useless moves could be replaced.
    • EDIT: Is Comet Punch gone? Literally only Hitmonchan and Kangaskhan learn it as far as I'm aware, and it's a useless move anyway.
    • There's also Barrage which only Exeggcute/-tor gets and is similarly crappy.
      Bubble and Water Gun are essentially identical moves since Bubble got buffed to 40 power, so they could be merged if they aren't already?
    • Constrict is literally the worst move in the game and nobody would be sad to see it go.
    • If both Guillotine and Horn Drill are still present, they could be merged as they are identical in practice.
    • Octazooka might be a signature move but it's useless, since by the time you can have an Octillery you already have access to the superior Surf. That would be a good option to replace.

You could add Spike Cannon to that list which is so bad and so undistributed I forgot it existed until I took a trivia quiz and got it wrong.
    Another option to consider is to combine wing attack and Aerial Ace (Same power, very minor effect change)
    And I'll end with a question, can larvitar get DD through breeding?

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Comet Punch is a good one to remove. I want to keep a decent number of punch and kick attacks, but there's already Dizzy, Mach, Dynamic, Bullet, Fire, Thunder, and Ice. (Only four kicks, Double, Triple, Low, and Hi Jump, but oh well.) Hitmonchan can have Karate Chop, Kangaskhan can have Mach Punch, and Ledian can have Dizzy Punch.

(Barrage, Constrict, and all OHKOs are gone. You have a point about Water Gun being redundant now. It does add flavor to the game, being a jet of water instead of a bubble, but Water Pulse fills the same role and is more useful. I'm going to buff Octazooka, not remove it, because Octillery deserves it. ;)

What if I replaced Powder Snow with Ice Shard? It would be a physical low-power Ice-type move to complement the special Icy Wind.

So that would be Powder Snow→Ice Shard, Water Gun→Water Pulse, and Comet Punch→Aerial Ace.

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2022
    Comet Punch is a good one to remove. I want to keep a decent number of punch and kick attacks, but there's already Dizzy, Mach, Dynamic, Bullet, Fire, Thunder, and Ice. (Only four kicks, Double, Triple, Low, and Hi Jump, but oh well.) Hitmonchan can have Karate Chop, Kangaskhan can have Mach Punch, and Ledian can have Dizzy Punch.

(Barrage, Constrict, and all OHKOs are gone. You have a point about Water Gun being redundant now. It does add flavor to the game, being a jet of water instead of a bubble, but Water Pulse fills the same role and is more useful. I'm going to buff Octazooka, not remove it, because Octillery deserves it. ;)

What if I replaced Powder Snow with Ice Shard? It would be a physical low-power Ice-type move to complement the special Icy Wind.

So that would be Powder Snow→Ice Shard, Water Gun→Water Pulse, and Comet Punch→Aerial Ace.

+1 for moves

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2022

All sounds good to me :)

Years
    • Seen today
    Oh yeah, before I play 2.0.0. sometime this week, does any Gameshark codes work with this hack or is it like Red+++ where none of them work due to code differences? The only one I used on the former hack was the free Master Ball code and I didn't need that much as I got most all the Pokemon through Wonder Trading anyway so it kinda was useless unless I got the Legendaries.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    does any Gameshark codes work with this hack or is it like Red+++ where none of them work due to code differences?

Most of the codes have changed. If you really want some, you can compile vanilla pokecrystal and Polished Crystal, and compare their .sym files. So if the code for a wild shiny in Crystal is 910730D2, and D230 in the pokecrystal .sym file is labeled BattleType, and BattleType in the Polished Crystal .sym file is D235, then the new shiny code for Polished Crystal would be 910735D2. Complicated, I know, but that's how you earn cheat codes. ;)

Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2019
    Don't forget to add Hail for the ice types lol. Also consider energy ball? very realiable SP atk move

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Don't forget to add Hail for the ice types lol. Also consider energy ball? very realiable SP atk move

Hail might be in a future version. As for Energy Ball, there are already good special Grass moves.

Edit: Okay, I'll be adding Hail in place of Conversion2 if it doesn't take too long to code, and would also like to add either Energy Ball or Charge Beam in place of Meditate. Any preferences+rationale? Grass doesn't actually have a plain reliable special attack yet, but while Electric has Thunderbolt, Charge Beam has a useful effect.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2022
    Hail might be in a future version. As for Energy Ball, there are already good special Grass moves.

Edit: Okay, I'll be adding Hail in place of Conversion if it doesn't take too long to code, and would also like to add either Energy Ball or Charge Beam in place of Meditate. Any preferences+rationale? Grass doesn't actually have a plain reliable special attack yet, but while Electric has Thunderbolt, Charge Beam has a useful effect.

Energy Ball is definitely preferable as Thunderbolt sees to all Electric type needs just fine, and a lot of its users learn Calm Mind anyway. It would be especially great if it could be available in, say, Goldenrod Dept. Store? As it stands, Giga Drain is great but it's only available halfway through Kanto, by which time I will already have a full team and will generally have given up on training a Grass Type.

You could replace Conversion2 with it instead, couldn't you? It's no more useful than Conversion really, and Meditate is pretty good in the first half of the game. Just a suggestion.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    You could replace Conversion2 with it instead, couldn't you? It's no more useful than Conversion really, and Meditate is pretty good in the first half of the game. Just a suggestion.

Thanks for the comment. Mostly I want Charge Beam for Octillery, but if Energy Ball is genuinely useful I'll go with that.

I meant Conversion2, notConversion. But Porygon needs one left for uniqueness, it already lost Sharpen.

Actually, without Meditate or Sharpen there's no plain Attack-boosting move. What if I combined Tail Whip and Leer and added Hone Claws (+Attack, +Accuracy)? I don't know how many people care about the flavor difference between those two Defense-down moves.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2016
    You could also replace one of Submission or Vital Throw for Close Combat, since you mentioned it. If it was me I'd remove both of them actually, because they're very bad moves (Submission makes me cringe) and worse than buffed Rock Smash anyway, and add something like Roost and make it a TM in the place of Rollout, which could be a Move Tutor as it kinda works as a pair with Defense Curl.

Reporting for a glitch now, Toxic can hit Pokemon while they're underground after using Dig. Also, not exactly a glitch, but Magby should learn Flamethrower at Lv 40 instead of Lv 30.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Removed: Conversion2, Meditate, Tail Whip
    Added: Hail, Energy Ball, Hone Claws

They're all TMs, so Icy Wind, Rollout, and Swagger became tutor moves. (So did Defense Curl earlier when I added Aerial Ace.)

Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

The animations are reused, like everything else. 2.1 or 2.2. will be The Graphics Update, where I revise all the move animations, add the Surfing/Flying Pikachu sprites, hopefully get species-colored party icons to work, maybe get some animated sprites done, et cetera. All those should work as save-compatible changes.

You could also replace one of Submission or Vital Throw for Close Combat, since you mentioned it.

Maybe. It would be simpler to buff Submission, give it the same stats as Wild Charge (90 power, 100% accuracy, 25% recoil). (Maybe do the same for Take Down too).

Reporting for a glitch now, Toxic can hit Pokemon while they're underground after using Dig. Also, not exactly a glitch, but Magby should learn Flamethrower at Lv 40 instead of Lv 30.

Flamethrower is fixed, Toxic is not yet.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2016
    Expanding on the Toxic glitch, in case it helps, I did some more tests and it seems that if used by a non-Poison type Pokemon Toxic will always hit, even underground foes (and possibly in other states, too), while if used by a Poison type it won't hit through Dig, but still can miss Pokemon standing on ground.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Thanks, that's helpful. Looks like I had a test reversed, and was doing it before the Fly/Dig check instead of after.

Back