• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Never mind waiting for some 2.2 Graphics Update. Here's fancy Pikachu!

dOnvlyO.png

It was mostly a matter of copying the Unown code, although even after it compiled, there were still some PikaMissingno issues:

e4JEOoP.png

As far as I can tell, the only bug is that when you scroll down the PC box list, whichever Pikachu sprite you viewed last gets used. (Pressing A to see a particular one's stats uses the correct one.) (And now that I've said that, somebody will cause it to crash the game. :P)

Master Terrador

Mostly Dead
    Years
  • Never mind waiting for some 2.2 Graphics Update. Here's fancy Pikachu!

dOnvlyO.png

It was mostly a matter of copying the Unown code, although even after it compiled, there were still some PikaMissingno issues:

e4JEOoP.png

As far as I can tell, the only bug is that when you scroll down the PC box list, whichever Pikachu sprite you viewed last gets used. (Pressing A to see a particular one's stats uses the correct one.) (And now that I've said that, somebody will cause it to crash the game. :P)

Very well done man, the sprites look great!

Since you didn't see my last post since we posted at the same time, is there any way for Larvitar to get DD through breeding or something? Also how's your progress on animating new sprites, would be pretty cool.

Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2021
    Never mind waiting for some 2.2 Graphics Update. Here's fancy Pikachu!

dOnvlyO.png

e4JEOoP.png

cool! could this functionality be extended to other pokemon? e.g., introducing spiky-eared pichu or even custom forms. if so that could have a lot of interesting applications

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    if nuzlocke mode is on and you go to the bug catching contest, it works as normal
    but when you use the park ball after you have already caught a mon, there will be some gibberish that appear after the "you have encountered a pokemon here" message, along with a miss from the enemy mon. seems to happen often but not always.

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
  • I found a bug a few hours ago.. When in the trainer card, if you press A or right 2 times it'll exit instead of going back to the first page. I assume this is because of the third card check? Also I think making the
    Spoiler:

As for the difficulty of the first events, Silver's first battle with the character is so easy that the reduced level made it a walk in the park. I know it's not a difficulty game but making it 5 and 7 would make for a better match with the rival starter equipped with an oran berry.

The suggestions are merely suggestions and I wont care if they dont make it in the hack I just want it better but it's really fine in its current state.. Ill also continue to look for bugs!

Last edited:

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    Silver's first battle with the character is so easy that the reduced level made it a walk in the park. I know it's not a difficulty game but making it 5 and 7 would make for a better match with the rival starter equipped with an oran berry.
    i hope you meant the sentret to be the one at lvl 7...

he made it sentret+starter because of chikorita smashing totodile users with Razor leaf...
    and please don't say to move razor leaf to a higher level, chikorita is a pretty poor starter at the beginning of the game, no need to nerf it further

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Since you didn't see my last post since we posted at the same time, is there any way for Larvitar to get DD through breeding or something?

Well, Dragon Dance is listed in its egg moves.

Also how's your progress on animating new sprites, would be pretty cool.

Not my project.

cool! could this functionality be extended to other pokemon? e.g., introducing spiky-eared pichu or even custom forms. if so that could have a lot of interesting applications

In theory, yes! If I added even more variant species, I'd want to refactor the code. As it is, you need to edit a bunch of different places to enable a new species.

What are some more good ones? There are regional Arbok variations, and some Pokémon have gender differences.

Spiky-Eared Pichu would be cool, and I've thought about it before, but there's no simple way to represent a unique Pokémon in the data structure. You can always catch a Pichu with the same DVs, the same moves, etc.

when you use the park ball after you have already caught a mon, there will be some gibberish

When in the trainer card, if you press A or right 2 times it'll exit instead of going back to the first page.

Thanks, fixed.

event at the dark cave activate or show up only after beating elder li

Maybe.

Silver's first battle with the character is so easy that the reduced level made it a walk in the park.

At most I could make them both level 5 and give them both Berries (in fact, done). You shouldn't have to face a super-effective move that early with one Pokémon.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2022
    Can I make a small request, and ask you to allow Gliscor to learn Fly? You did the same for Gyarados, and Gliscor would be a really handy flyer.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Can I make a small request, and ask you to allow Gliscor to learn Fly? You did the same for Gyarados, and Gliscor would be a really handy flyer.

The Pokédex on Gliscor: "If it succeeds in catching even a faint breeze properly, it can circle the globe without flapping once." …But it can't learn Fly. Okay, technically it's just very good at gliding, but who cares, it gets Fly now.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    can thief tm be given earlier now?
    also pls give a physical fairy move(play rough) for chikorita line...why does it only a learn good fairy move pretty lately as compared to other fairies...

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Well, the wild Pokémon have been adjusted. Mt. Silver now deserves its reputation for terrifyingly strong Pokémon.

(I didn't just make everything hard for no reason, there's a smooth curve. Mt. Silver should be challenging but possible. My main concern is that you'll either get not enough experience or too much. This partly depends on everyone's play style. I'll wait and see what reviews of 2.0 say.)

The trainers are the last thing to do before releasing 2.0, but that's fairly time-consuming, Still, expect 2.0 out tomorrow, or the day after.

can thief tm be given earlier now?

The Rocket hideout is an appropriate place for it. If you need Silver Leaves before then, Oddish is easy to catch and Poké Balls are cheap. Or use a Pokémon that learns it (Meowth, Teddiursa, Eevee, Farfetch'd).

also pls give a physical fairy move(play rough) for chikorita line...

Yeah, I missed that. Replaced Heal Bell (now an egg move). Will that be missed?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2022
    The Pokédex on Gliscor: "If it succeeds in catching even a faint breeze properly, it can circle the globe without flapping once." …But it can't learn Fly. Okay, technically it's just very good at gliding, but who cares, it gets Fly now.

Cool, thanks :)

I have replayed the 1.1.2 build and found an odd little glitch - after my Scyther evolved into Scizor, it consumed the Metal Coal it was holding and now I can't evolve my Onix... Is this supposed to happen?

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2016
    Pretty sure it is, considering that's how it usually works when evolving via held item, be it by trading or by leveling up.

In any case, you can find more of the evolutionary items being held by wild Pokemon. Metal Coat can be found held by wild Magnemite.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    The level curve is done!

W3BYyRo.png

There are some outliers, like wild Dratini in Dragon's Den being unusually low (since you ought to raise such a powerful dragon Pokémon), but mostly I think this curve works. You'll probably have to grind to beat those final bosses; that's intentional.

Have to do some final testing and documentation, and it'll be out!

(And yes, held evolution items get used up.)

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Version 2.0.0 of Pokémon Polished Crystal is finally finished! It's a major version update because there have been a lot of new additions. New Pokémon (Electivire, Magmortar, and Rhyperior), new moves (Hurricane, Hail, Aerial Ace, Energy Ball, and more), maps, characters, events… not to mention many bug fixes and tweaks in response to everyone's feedback.

If you want to do a Nuzlocke run, please check out Nuzlocke mode in the Option menu!

This update is not compatible with save files from 1.1.2 or earlier versions. However, I tried to get all the save-breaking features out of the way. So when 2.1.0 comes out, you should be able to use your 2.0.0 save file. (I expect 2.0.1 to come out soon with minor bugfixes for whatever y'all find while testing this out.)

Patches:

There are two patches, regular and "faithful". The faithful patch does not change any Pokémon types or base stats, or any move attributes. This will be more familiar, but can have some odd consequences, like a Ghost trainer using a Ninetales that lacks STAB on its Shadow Ball.

Patches should be applied to a Pokémon Crystal (UE) (1.0) ROM. The one I used has the MD5 hash 9f2922b235a5eeb78d65594e82ef5dde if you need to make sure your copy is correct.

The source code on GitHub has a readme and feature list with more details, an FAQ, and a guide to using the patch files.

Changelog:

(If you're new to Polished Crystal, ignore this and check out the better-organized feature list.)

• Add: Replace {Hoppip, Skiploom, Jumpluff, Aipom, Stantler, Smoochum} with {Rhyperior, Electivire, Magmortar, Sunkern, Sunflora, Wobbuffet}.
    • Add: New trainer classes: Officer♀, Sr. & Jr., Couple, Breeder, PI, Dragon Tamer, Ace Duo, Roughneck, and some important characters.
    • Add: Add Protector, Electirizer, and Magmarizer items.
    • Add: Machoke, Graveler, Haunter, and Kadabra evolve by having sufficient stat exp in Attack, Defense, Speed, and Special respectively (five Protein, Iron, Carbos, or Calcium is sufficient).
    • Add: Replace {Synthesis, Bubble, Powder Snow, Comet Punch, Conversion2, Meditate, Tail Whip} with {Hurricane, Water Pulse, Ice Shard, Aerial Ace, Hone Claws, Energy Ball, Hail}.
    • Add: Meet Falkner in Dark Cave to make him return to the gym, encouraging the player to beat Sprout Tower first.
    • Add: Optional Nuzlocke mode (can't revive fainted Pokémon, catch only the first encounter in each location, always nickname Pokémon; dupes clause and shiny clause in effect)
    • Add: Lyra from HG/SS is your friendly rival.
    • Add: Revise the Silver Wing event.
    • Add: New music for the Goldenrod Game Corner and Lugia's and Ho-Oh's maps.
    • Add: Shrine in Ecruteak City from Mateo's Pokémon Christmas.
    • Add: Battle 16 Gym Leaders and 5 unlockable trainers in the Fighting Dojo.
    • Add: Reward for catching all 26 Unown.
    • Add: Buy dolls and plants to decorate your room in Goldenrod Harbor.
    • Add: Replace Cianwood Photo Studio with an event that makes your Pokémon happier.
    • Add: Battle Cal in Trainer House if you're a girl, Kay if you're a boy.
    • Add: Eusine shows you the legendary beasts in Celadon City in case you haven't found them roaming.
    • Add: Respawn uncaught legendaries (except for Celebi) after beating the Elite Four (Suicune roams).
    • Add: Bill calls to switch boxes when one is full (copied from TPP Anniversary Crystal).
    • Add: Meganium can learn Calm Mind and Play Rough.
    • Add: Gliscor can learn Fly.
    • Add: Pokémon sprites for Joey and Mike's battle and for Amphy.
    • Add: Executive Proton in Slowpoke Well.
    • Add: Pokémon are found via Headbutt on Route 47+48 and in Yellow Forest.
    • Add: Restore unused dialog about Prof. Silktree to the Ruins of Alph.
    • Add: Politoed is Water/Grass.
    • Add: Sunflora is Grass/Fire.
    • Add: Electivire is Electric/Fighting.
    • Add: Magmortar is Fire/Fighting.
    • Add: Rhyperior is Steel/Rock.
    • Add: Strength is 90 power.
    • Add: Buff Submission and Take Down to be like Wild Charge.
    • Add: Replace Razor Shell with Icicle Crash.
    • Add: Rock-type Pokémon get Sp.Def boosted by 50% in a sandstorm.
    • Add: Improve Buena's prizes.
    • Add: Yanma and Venomoth are available in the Bug-Catching Contest.
    • Add: Murkrow is rare in some Headbutt trees.
    • Add: Add river to Route 45 from HGSS.
    • Add: Celadon Dept. Store TV game floor from RBY, with game system decorations for sale.
    • Add: Celadon Dept. Store Home Decor wing.
    • Add: Lt. Surge's electric traps from RBY.
    • Add: Missing ice puzzle in Seafoam Islands.
    • Add: Get Amulet Coin from Lyra in Olivine City, and Metal Coat in the Goldenrod Dept. Store basement.
    • Add: Update Pokémon Center and Poké Mart style.
    • Add: Use beta pagodas for Sprout Tower, Bell Tower, and Dragon's Den.
    • Add: Pan up on entering Bell Tower, Battle Tower, and Radio Tower.
    • Add: Rematch Elite Four only after getting all 16 badges (Prof. Elm and Blue both explain this).
    • Add: More requirements to access Mt. Silver.
    • Add: Tower Tycoon Palmer is the final Battle Tower trainer.
    • Add: Accessible waterfall in Yellow Forest.
    • Add: Devamped HGSS sprites for Team Rocket Executives.
    • Add: Replace NES with Wii.
    • Add: Purple overworld sprites (used for Eusine, Koga, Janine, PokéManiacs, Hex Maniacs, Burglars, Executive♂s, and GameCube).
    • Add: Option to run by default.
    • Add: Sprites for Surfing and Flying Pikachu.
    • Add: Third Trainer Card page for Kanto badges.
    • Add: Trees randomly give one, two, or three Berries.
    • Add: Increase Kanto's levels.
    • Add: Proper text for Gym Leader rematches.
    • Add: Access the last Unown chamber with a Fairy-type Pokémon, not Ho-Oh.
    • Add: Former Mystery Gift girl in Goldenrod Dept. Store now gives a random Berry every day.
    • Remove: No more support for Mystery Gift, GameBoy Printer, or Mobile Adapter.
    • Fix: Gen VI wild held item chances (50% common, 5% rare, 45% none), with Amulet Coin increasing them to 60% common, 10% rare, 30% none.
    • Fix: No more daily limit on Wonder Trades.
    • Fix: Tangela, Yanma, and Pilowsine evolve by knowing AncientPower.
    • Fix: Replace Pryce's Seel and Shellder with Piloswine and Sneasel.
    • Fix: Jasmine uses Forretress.
    • Fix: Bruno uses Pinsir.
    • Fix: Silver has six Pokémon only by Victory Road.
    • Fix: Prof. Oak's third aide requires 50 Pokémon, not 75.
    • Fix: Replace broken Trainer House tiles with a Poké Ball pattern.
    • Fix: Consistent gatehouse between Route 36 and the Ruins of Alph.
    • Fix: Consistent gatehouse between Route 48 and Yellow Forest.
    • Fix: Rocket outside Radio Tower isn't visible from Goldenrod Harbor.
    • Fix: Bill's sister says his grandpa is still in Cerulean Cape house.
    • Fix: Edit some trainers' levels and rosters.
    • Fix: Various text overflow errors.
    • Fix: Pokédex Area map glitches when you press right (thanks Mmmmmm).
    • Fix: Ellipses print too high during battle (thanks, comet).
    • Fix: Typo "your" for "you" (thanks, jpmac26).
    • Fix: Gold Berry heals 25% max HP when held.
    • Fix: Pink Bow powers up Fairy-type moves (thanks, Pokemaster).
    • Fix: X Special → X Spcl.Atk (thanks, Mmmmmm).
    • Fix: Acid lowers Sp.Def, not Defense (thanks, kide).
    • Fix: Magby learns Flamethrower at level 40, not 30 (thanks, kide).
    • Fix: 50 TMs → 65 TMs.
    • Fix: Lock-On does not bypass Fly/Dig.
    • Fix: Poison types using Toxic will always hit but not through Fly/Dig.
    • Fix: TMs each have a unique location.
    • Fix: Game Corner games pay out even if you have 9999+ coins.
    • Fix: Roaming legendary beast music.
    • Fix: Can't trade away the GS Ball.
    • Fix: Sabrina's round gold badge is called the Soul Badge; Janine's pink heart badge is called the Marsh Badge.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2022
    guys where can I find goldenrod move tutor?I can't find it:(

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    another nuzlocke mode bug:

daycare center always giving back fainted mons (which was in full health when you first put them in)

Last edited:
    Back