• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    I got a critical bug here. A rocket grunt in the Mahogany Town rocket base has an exeggutor thats level 137....I can't get the password from her at all to open the boss room

EDIT: Nevermind mthis, I just saw the updated patch, I'll try it out.

Last edited:
    Something turned on Nuzlocke Mode again in Ecruteak. While trying to reproduce, I entered the bugged house beneath the Burned Tower, went into my options menu to check, and when I exited the game crashed. Didn't lose any data, as I had saved beforehand, but the options menu may crash the game in certain circumstances, apparently. I can provide a save file where you can walk right into the house and crash the game consistently, if it's needed. It may have been the first Berry Tree or Beauty directly west of Ecruteak that turned it on, but I saved after battling her and so cannot confirm. I didn't do the Burned Tower, and just retalked to who I talked to in town without it turning itself back on again. It could also have been one of the Kimono Girls or the guy who gives Surf or the guy who gives away the Itemfinder who turned it back on. I haven't gotten any item balls or hidden items, so it probably isn't picking those up that's causing this.

EDIT: This happened when talking to trade guy in Olivine for the first time:
    Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)
    . Can't reproduce now, but directly after talking to him I received a phone call from Hiker Anthony, if that matters.

EDIT2: The Lass that's by the stairs two floors below Jasmine in the Lighthouse has an unnecessary line break in her after battle text.

EDIT3: When awakening the Legendary Beasts at the bottom of the Burned Tower, their cries are wrong.

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I saved in Bellchime Path, since I wanted to make sure I caught Suicune. I reset the game and...white screen.
    When you enter the house directly underneath the Burned Tower, it acts as if you fell through a hole to get in.
    I entered the bugged house beneath the Burned Tower, went into my options menu to check, and when I exited the game crashed.
    Twins Anne and Ann on the Route under Ecruteak are Tori and Tille (or something like that) in battle.

I've fixed all of these. Thanks for finding them!

Saved in front of Sudowoodo, and found my Nuzlocke mode has turned itself on.
    Something turned on Nuzlocke Mode again in Ecruteak.
    Minor one: I don't know how this was supposed to work, but Lyra was apparently supposed to battle me before I went to Mahogany Town, but I didn't battle her til after I beat Pryce.

I can't reproduce these. Obviously they're real bugs, but it's hard to fix when I can't see it happening.

I really don't understand the Lyra bug. Did you battle Chuck → Jasmine → Pryce? Route 42 is blocked off until Jasmine is beaten, and when you do beat Jasmine it sets a trigger on Route 42 to battle Lyra.

Edit:

The Lass that's by the stairs two floors below Jasmine in the Lighthouse has an unnecessary line break in her after battle text.

Fixed.

This happened when talking to trade guy in Olivine for the first time:

I've seen this happen in VBA and BGB for many ROMs, including vanilla Crystal. It seems like an emulation bug, prone to happen when I'm fast-forwarding.

When awakening the Legendary Beasts at the bottom of the Burned Tower, their cries are wrong.

...Why? The code is literally "cry SUICUNE" etc, and I haven't noticed incorrect cries during battle. I'll look into this further. Never mind, Rhyperior's cry was missing and offset a bunch by 1. Don't know how I missed it. Thanks again.

I ought to have actual beta-testing before the next major release...

Last edited:

minochet

Attack And Assault Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2022
    I really don't understand the Lyra bug. Did you battle Chuck → Jasmine → Pryce? Route 42 is blocked off until Jasmine is beaten, and when you do beat Jasmine it sets a trigger on Route 42 to battle Lyra.

If my memory is correct, I went to Mt. Mortar instead of Surfing across. Does the trigger not work when someone enters Mt. Mortar?

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    If my memory is correct, I went to Mt. Mortar instead of Surfing across. Does the trigger not work when someone enters Mt. Mortar?

...Yeah, that would do it all right. It triggers at the water's edge. I'll add another one.

Edit: To those testing 2.0.0, please use this release candidate patch. Unless any more bugs are uncovered, I'll put it out as 2.0.1.

Last edited:
    ...Yeah, that would do it all right. It triggers at the water's edge. I'll add another one.

Edit: To those testing 2.0.0, please use this release candidate patch. Unless any more bugs are uncovered, I'll put it out as 2.0.1.

Found another minor bug, in Yellow Forest, Walker's Skarmory that he flies away on has the wrong cry in the OW.

Also, please let Mantine learn Fly.

Having a ton of fun. About to go up the Radio Tower for the takeover event. The routes west of Cianwood and Yellow Forest were great and perfectly placed so that you don't get two badges literally one after the other. Awesome work on this.

EDIT: Just saw that you fixed cries, which probably includes this one. Will update before I play again to avoid reporting fixed ones.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Also, please let Mantine learn Fly.

Done. :) It works as a Bounce replacement, and Mantine flying is less ridiculous than Gyarados, who already learns it. (Still not going to give it to Rapidash.)

Last edited:

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    I had a crash after battling Valerie in Ekruteak. Her game text is says I already battled Suicune yet she is essentially breaking the game being there before the battle with Suicune. I at frist wrote it off but hwne I beat her the game crashed. I'm gonna try this again and fight Valerie AFTER I catch Suicune to see if anything else happens.

EDIT: Ok now the game crashes upon trying to reboot the game after shutting it off, now I'm stuck...

Years
    • Seen today
    This game is way harder than I imagined it would be. The experience yield for Pokemon could be a little better to ease the grinding. I wish I could've enjoyed the new changes more but I may not continue to play this as it's just not my type of hack. No disrespect Rangi, but this game is still great but it's not for everyone. On a happier note, thanks for all your hard work and I hope you continue to improve this. :)

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I had a crash after battling Valerie in Ekruteak. Her game text is says I already battled Suicune yet she is essentially breaking the game being there before the battle with Suicune. I at frist wrote it off but hwne I beat her the game crashed. I'm gonna try this again and fight Valerie AFTER I catch Suicune to see if anything else happens.

EDIT: Ok now the game crashes upon trying to reboot the game after shutting it off, now I'm stuck...

Thanks, sorry to hear that you're stuck. I fixed the crashes with Bellchime Trail and Valerie's house earlier, and just now fixed the (rather complicated) conditions for when she should be in which location.

This game is way harder than I imagined it would be. The experience yield for Pokemon could be a little better to ease the grinding. I wish I could've enjoyed the new changes more but I may not continue to play this as it's just not my type of hack. No disrespect Rangi, but this game is still great but it's not for everyone. On a happier note, thanks for all your hard work and I hope you continue to improve this.

Interesting, I didn't think I had made things that much harder. Is there a particular point when you started having difficulty? I only really raised the levels past Jasmine, before that I basically just gave the boss trainers better teams and fixed the biased AI (missing unnaturally often, etc). Don't know if I'll make anything easier, but I am curious about your experience.

Master Terrador

Mostly Dead
    Years
  • Don't know if you're aware of this but alot of the cries are odd (weavile sounds like teddiursa, mismagius has the unown cry) and even tyranitar has the lugia cry oddly enough

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2016
    Check the most recent update, the cries issue has been already fixed on it.

And, hey, since you're giving away free candy... I mean, free moves, could you consider either letting Krabby/Kingler learn Waterfall, or making so they can learn Crabhammer earlier? (maybe switching with Slam)

I guess they knowing Waterfall wouldn't be as silly as a Flying Gyarados, also some not-a-fish looking Pokemon already learn it (Staryu, Kabuto, ...). Without Dive, Crabhammer is their only physical Water move but they learn it so late you'd have to either rely on a weak Surf/Bubblebeam or keep no Water moves at all until your non-evolved Krabby gets Crabhammer at Lv 41 (or you let it evolve and have to wait until Lv 56!!).

Shellder/Cloyster would also benefit from Waterfall with the removal of Razor Shell, although they can use special moves just fine.

Also, I'm keeping an eye on possible bugs, but I'm playing quite slowly. Just reached Goldenrod, haven't experienced any so far. I'm playing the last updated version.

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
  • The bottom-left of Cherrygrove Bay seems to have some errors when it comes to the border to Route 32. It ends up just changing, with sometimes there being trees without a 'shore', or just all water.

Master Terrador

Mostly Dead
    Years
  • Got something weird involving destiny bond, when I get killed by destiny bond after I swap to the next pokemon it immediately forces out another one I didn't choose and in some cases it brings out one that's already fainted and freezes in a soft lock.

It should be noted I play in shift in case it has something to do with it

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    The bottom-left of Cherrygrove Bay seems to have some errors when it comes to the border to Route 32. It ends up just changing, with sometimes there being trees without a 'shore', or just all water.

Fixed, thanks.

And, hey, since you're giving away free candy... I mean, free moves, could you consider either letting Krabby/Kingler learn Waterfall, or making so they can learn Crabhammer earlier? (maybe switching with Slam)

Shellder/Cloyster would also benefit from Waterfall with the removal of Razor Shell, although they can use special moves just fine.

Part of why I didn't mind giving Gyarados Fly is that it learns Bounce, can be used in Gen VI Sky Battles, and is draconic enough that it might have that kind of ability. But crabs cannot climb waterfalls. I did give Crabhammer 95% accuracy to match Octazooka's buff (neither is in the Faithful version, of course), and swapped it with AncientPower so it's learned at level 39/51 instead of 41/56. And Cloyster has good enough Special Attack that it doesn't need an unrealistic physical move.

The worst bug that's left is Nuzlocke mode turning itself on, so please keep an eye out for that. I still haven't been able to trigger it. If you use emulator fast-forward, be careful not to change the setting yourself by accident; I've done that.

Edit:

Got something weird involving destiny bond, when I get killed by destiny bond after I swap to the next pokemon it immediately forces out another one I didn't choose and in some cases it brings out one that's already fainted and freezes in a soft lock.

It should be noted I play in shift in case it has something to do with it

Looks like this happens in Shift and Set. I'll try to fix it. Fixed.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2016
    Oh, that's fine. I thought it wouldn't be so bad since Pokemon like Kabuto can learn it, plus I've seen you gave a few Pokemon some unusual moves (Omanyte w/ Power Gem or Magcargo w/ Dragon Dance, for example).
    The worst bug that's left is Nuzlocke mode turning itself on, so please keep an eye out for that. I still haven't been able to trigger it. If you use emulator fast-forward, be careful not to change the setting yourself by accident; I've done that.

Yeah, I've been paying attention not to mess up. The Nuzlocke option is dangerously close to the Running Shoes setting too (which I do change all the time), so it's easy to change it by accident.

Don't know if people who got the bug did activate Nuzlocke mode some time before. I still haven't, and I plan to get to the part where it was reported to bug (Sudowoodo, Morty, ...) in both scenarios to see what happens.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I've seen you gave a few Pokemon some unusual moves (Omanyte w/ Power Gem or Magcargo w/ Dragon Dance, for example).

I actually generated the TM lists with a script, and there might have been some errors in the initial scraped data. Although checking evos_attacks.asm, I see that I gave Magcargo Dragon Dance in place of Shell Smash, to have a similar effect even if it makes less sense. (Let's say Magcargo is a dragon-snail. :P)

Don't know if people who got the bug did activate Nuzlocke mode some time before. I still haven't, and I plan to get to the part where it was reported to bug (Sudowoodo, Morty, ...) in both scenarios to see what happens.

Thanks. If it were just one report I'd be tempted to blame accidental input, but it's a common complaint. Maybe I'll move it away from the common options just in case.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2016
    OK, two rather small fixes needed, both at Goldenrod's Game Corner.

First, the gentleman sitting at a slot machine near the entrance mentions he needed lots of coins to teach Blizzard to his Pokemon despite it no longer being a prize there. Ice Beam should be a good replacement.

Second, when you play either the slots or the card game, it starts playing the original game corner music instead of the new one you added (such a shame, it sounds really good!), and it will keep playing until you leave and reenter or reset it using the radio.

Last edited:
    Back