• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
  • Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Just beat Lance and entered the Hall of Fame. Phew was that a good set of battles!

Minor bug, when I received the Sandstorm TM in the house outside Tohjo Falls, I experienced a text overflow.

As for feedback so far... The level curve is fantastic! Seriously, this was how G/S/C should've done their curve. Very steady, but a good difficulty level. Never impossible, never unfair, just right. I really appreciate that. My battles felt like a steady climb up the curve from the Rocket Takeover of the Radio Tower on, and every battle had something that could trip me up and make me lose a Pokemon. The early Gym Leaders were more challenging than their vanilla counterparts, but not by much, which kept them from being hard walls. They didn't fall over at a glance, but didn't gleefully murder you on turn one, which was nice. My first boss wipe was Morty and his somehow-100%-accurate Hypnosis/Dream Eater combo. I then wiped multiple times in Victory Road (love love love the Elders you put in there, really good challenge and perfect for that part of the game), and 3 times to my Rival at the end of the cave. My Hi Jump Kick kept crashing, and I would lose to his powered up Weavile. I was underleveled when I hit the League, and wiped maybe 7-8 times going through. 40 Hyper Potions, Revives, and the experience from those failures pushed me over Karen (who I again wiped to Hi Jump Kick missing and her Swords Dance'd Weavile sweeping the team like 6 times) and from there my Ice Beam Lanturn tank tore through Lance for the Championship title. Arbok did pretty much nothing the whole League, and I'm considering replacing her if she can't shape up. I raised her because I've never played with an Arbok before, but I suspect the cobra's better in games where it gets Intimidate. My Odd Egg Hitmonlee and Golem were definitely my MVPs of the League. Also, if you're wondering, I have a Dusk Stone but I'm waiting for Nasty Plot before using it.

Extra Trainers like the cameo battle after Suicune (who I one shot with 6 Poison Jabs courtesy of Arbok), and the familiar face in Ice Path were welcome additions and felt natural. Extra optional bosses are always great and these were executed well. Extra generic Trainers like in Ice Path and Victory Road that should've been there in the original were also appreciated, and helped keep the level curve sane.

I originally was going to go with the Faithful patch, but decided to go with the standard patch and play with all of those changes, and I'm glad that I did. Having to beware of Pokemon like Sunflora was a fun experience, and things aren't changed so severely that you have to relearn the whole game. Fairy made Meganium a bit difficult to handle for the later Rocket portions, but made him tankier overall and granted him a great coverage move after Suicune with Dazzling Gleam. I figured with the increased difficulty, I'd try out the punching bag starter (over my beloved Totodile), and it worked out well for me. Other than Meganium, I didn't take advantage of the type changes, though if Misdreavus was left late game, I would've gone for Ghost-type Ninetales. Would probably have picked up Sunflora had I picked Totodile as well.

Lyra was a great rival, and is so much more enjoyable here than in her HGSS appearances. I don't really have much else to comment on with her, other than that I hope to see her doing something in Kanto.

As for the extra areas you added, I loved all the areas west of Cianwood. The Rocket event, again, was perfectly placed and reinforced the pacing in that section of the game where in the original the pacing between Chuck and Jasmine was bad. I was also super excited for the cameo Trainers that came in during that event on the bridge. Was not expecting them to show up at all, and was happy that they did. I haven't fully explored Yellow Forest, but I did run into an issue around here. If you don't have any Poke Balls when you get to Cianwood and don't have a Flying-type Pokemon yet (like I didn't) you have to Surf all the way back to Olivine for Balls, and you won't be able to use Fly to get off the island and back to the mainland right away. It was very annoying to basically have to skip catching Pokemon around there because of my blunder. Perhaps have someone sell Pokeballs at Yellow Forest's reception gate or in Cliff Cave or something? Even if they're sold at a higher price than normal because you're so far out in the wilderness, it would be appreciated.

I didn't like the Ecruteak Shrine, mostly because I think the Shrine Maiden should be a generic Kimono Girl and not a named NPC who supposedly has lore behind her. I'm also a little put-off by the blessing mechanic there, as I don't think that sort of religious reference would've been allowed had this been a legit Game Freak game and it broke my suspension of disbelief. Perhaps the Shrine Maiden could massage the Pokemon instead with incenses or something, and the happiness gained could depend on the incense she happened to have that day like how the Haircut Brothers raise happiness by different values. The map itself was gorgeous though, and it's a great little area despite my gripes.

I didn't realize Goldenrod Harbor was there until I was almost done with the Radio Tower event, but it was definitely a neat little area. I surfed around and explored the whole thing, and it's a welcome addition. Being able to buy room decorations was sorely needed in this game. Not everyone has friends with GBCs to Mystery Gift with, Game Freak!

Cherrygrove Bay was cool. Didn't know that that was there either until I was messing around near Union Cave getting Lapras and stumbled across it. It's nice to have that connection for a quicker way back to civilization from that Route than heading all the way back up to Violet City. It's meh, but in the good and natural feeling way. Like it belonged there.

Generic tileset changes in Ecruteak, Bellchime Trail, Olivine, and Cherrygrove were welcome changes and served to make the areas much prettier. Again, how Game Freak did not think to make these areas stick out a little more with simple palette swaps of existing trees, we'll never know. These changes also felt mostly natural. However, if you look at the Olivine Lighthouse, the island it's on is a higher elevation than the beach, yet a bridge connects the island to the beach with no increase in elevation and it looks awkward. Either the lighthouse needs to be the same elevation as the beach, or there needs to be steps, or something.

Minor changes, like multiple berries from a tree and the clock reset being straightforward and not requiring a passcode were appreciated as well. But, I do think that something needs to be done about Apricorns. You can get a bunch of them from trees, like berries, but they're worthless all but once a day (and even so, you can only get rid of one stack) and serve to take up a significant amount of bag space. Maybe the count of the Apricorns you're holding could be stored in variables instead of being actual items and Kurt's script could read that instead of from the bag? Kurt is also pretty inconvenient. Could he make the balls instantly and then rest until the next day? Or perhaps allow him to take all of your Apricorns at once and hand you all the kinds of balls he's made for you the next day (which would alleviate Apricorn bag space issues. You would make a loop for the Apricorn Trees and then hand them all in at once at the start of the day). I also think that Oran Berry trees should mature midgame and instead grow Sitrus Berries, as Oran berries become worthless very quickly. To prevent getting stuck on making MooMoo well, the option to feed it Sitrus Berries or Oran Berries would work, with Sitrus making it more healthy than Oran. Perhaps the more worthless status healer berry trees (Like the ones that cure Freeze or Burn; at least Freeze) could mature into Lum Berry trees lategame as well. These are small changes, but have a big impact on player quality of life. Also, if it's possible to reallocate total bag space to give the Items Pocket even one more slot, it would be appreciated. Like, there are only 11 varieties of Poke Balls in the game, so why not shrink the Poke Balls Pocket down to 11 slots and give the extra to the Items Pocket? I have plot coupons (like the Basement Key, Clear Bell, and Card Key) sitting in my Key Items Pocket taking up space that could also go into the Items Pocket. Perhaps plot coupons could break or be taken after use so that precious space could be reallocated to the Items Pocket.

The Thief system for tutors seemed cool, but I didn't partake. I found that I was powerful enough without the tutor moves, and didn't want to stop the action to farm leaves. Perhaps I'll come across a must-have in Kanto that I'll want to horde leaves for, but as of right now I'm passing on the feature.

All in all, this hack is amazing so far. Definitely not what I was expecting, in a good way. It's given me a whole new opinion on the Gen 2 games, is a better "remake" than HGSS, and is probably one of my favorite hacks. The additions seem natural and fit in perfectly well with the rest of the setting (save the Shrine Maiden), while making Johto seem more vibrant and more alive than ever. I have high hopes for Kanto, and am looking forward to digging in tomorrow to check it out.

Keep up the good work, and thanks for putting up with my vague bug reports!

EDIT: Oh, also, mandatory shiny mention. Other than the Odd Egg Tyrogue (now Hitmonlee) and that Egg that I traded the Red Scale for, I caught a shiny Geodude in the Rocket Hideout beneath Mahogany and a shiny Rattata while revisiting the Route under Violet to grab a Lapras in Union Cave.

EDIT2: Also, the Waterfall HM's OW in Ice Path was red instead of blue. I know that TMs are now blue, and I don't know if the only HM found in the OW is intended to be red, but I think that it should be blue.

EDIT3: Almost forgot, the Rocket Executive sprites are... very unflattering. Perhaps, in your free time, you could take a stab at respriting them. Archer is perfect, but Petrel is pretty bad, Proton is disproportionate, and Ariana needs to be tweaked a bit.

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Minor bug, when I received the Sandstorm TM in the house outside Tohjo Falls, I experienced a text overflow.

Wow, it's nice to hear about one of those after all these crashes. :P

As for feedback so far... The level curve is fantastic!

:D Thanks for the detailed description of your experience. Sounds like you had some good battles. And cool that someone else uses Lanturn.

Perhaps have someone sell Pokeballs at Yellow Forest's reception gate or in Cliff Cave or something?

Oh right, Cianwood doesn't have a Mart. Yeah, this is a good idea.

I didn't like the Ecruteak Shrine, mostly because I think the Shrine Maiden should be a generic Kimono Girl and not a named NPC who supposedly has lore behind her.

She's borrowed from Pokémon Christmas. Mateo and I were discussing possible original character/plot ideas for a Johto+Kanto game, so in future I might add more of a reason for her to be there.

I understand how you feel about blessing being out-of-place in a Pokémon game. To me it seems like the English versions are an outlier, and the original Japanese versions were more relaxed about "controversial" subjects. The Sages are praying, the Mediums are holding prayer beads, and the audience probably understands details like the incense burners in houses to be religious. I restored those sprites, along with the ones censored for different reasons (Fishermen smoking, etc; in RBY the old man who needed coffee had a hangover, that sort of thing).

However, if you look at the Olivine Lighthouse, the island it's on is a higher elevation than the beach, yet a bridge connects the island to the beach with no increase in elevation and it looks awkward. Either the lighthouse needs to be the same elevation as the beach, or there needs to be steps, or something.

Good point. I avoided side stairs and cliffs from HG/SS for that exact reason, but overlooked it with the boardwalk. Sideways stairs that feel natural is tricky to do when your sprite doesn't actually change height, though. Do you think this is an improvement? Edit: Or this?

Could he make the balls instantly and then rest until the next day?

Yeah, that's a better system. I'd add some detail though, like you follow him to the workbench and wait a few real-time seconds to watch him make the Balls.

For bag space, I did expand it to 30 items instead of 20, and you can store extra Apricorns in the PC. Eventually I want to add another pocket or two, maybe one for Berries and one for healing items, or one for held items and one for everything else. But that will still involve editing the memory data structures and probably breaking saves again, so that'll be for 3.0.

Being able to buy room decorations was sorely needed in this game.

I know, right? The Goldenrod Dept. Store even had a "vending machine for Pokémon dolls" that just didn't do anything. Not anymore.

I also think that Oran Berry trees should mature midgame and instead grow Sitrus Berries, as Oran berries become worthless very quickly.

I don't know about having them mature, but I could change some of the later Oran Berry trees to Sitrus Berries. Right now the only one is on Route 46. And add another Lum Berry tree or two.

I caught a shiny Geodude in the Rocket Hideout beneath Mahogany and a shiny Rattata while revisiting the Route under Violet to grab a Lapras in Union Cave.

Cool. It seems like people (myself included) are finding a lot of shinies, but I wrote it to be a 1-in-1024 chance and don't think the code is more likely than that. Just lucky, I guess.

Also, the Waterfall HM's OW in Ice Path was red instead of blue.

Oops, I search-and-replaced for "TM" but not "HM".

Almost forgot, the Rocket Executive sprites are... very unflattering. Perhaps, in your free time, you could take a stab at respriting them.

It's in the plans eventually. Just wasn't ready in time for 2.0. Edit: Oh wait, you meant the trainer sprites, not the overworld sprites. Maybe. I don't know if I could do a better job, resizing from 76x76 to 56x56 is much trickier than devamping colors.

I have high hopes for Kanto, and am looking forward to digging in tomorrow to check it out.

I think you'll find some nice surprises. :) Looking forward to hearing how the level curve adjustments there work.

Last edited:

GymLeaderLance99

A Muffin Button
    Years
  • Hey, Rangi! First off, I want to thank you for all the work you put into this hack! It's been interesting playing with the standard patch with all the different typings and whatnot; I started playing 1.1.2 and set out to do a Nuzlocke, lost some I'd hoped I'd get to hold onto (I'll not-miss ya, Gallagher the Odd-Egg Electabuzz...), and started playing in Kanto a few days ago. Really liking the level curve, and I also thought the Rocket events at Cianwood were well-placed (though I dunno if they were made any different in 2.0+ haha); the level curve in Kanto hasn't been too bad either, though it's a bit jarring that the trainers would be lower-upper 40s while the Leaders are at upper 50s-mid 60s (at least with Surge, Sabrina, and Misty so far), but I've made it work haha. My current team's a LV58 Butterfree, LV56 Crobat, LV53 Flareon, LV56 Raichu, LV56 Feraligatr, and LV55 Quagsire going into Celadon. I liked the twist with the Snorlax blocking the path there from Route 7, and the Kanto Federation gang blocking Saffron from Route 8, lol. Also digging the devamped music and other aesthetic stuff (like the awesome individual party sprites). Makes for a fun revisit to my favorite GB/C Pokemon game, haha.

So, the reason I'm posting: dunno if you've already handled it for 2.0+ (and since I've already put in this much effort, I figure I'll go ahead and just finish out 1.1.2 and do a true Nuzlocke in 2.0+ [since I've kinda/sorta cheated here/there with the "faint=death" rule due to shenanigans I couldn't take :sweatdrop:]), but as I'm going through Kanto, there've been times where, suddenly, all I see around me are familiar faces...

Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

This one happened as I went from Route 5 into Cerulean; that's supposed to be the Slowbro sprite, and it's the one from vanilla Crystal (which were also in Azalea); I forget what made it reappear properly after.

Then, this one happened going from Cerulean down to Route 5, while this one happened coming back from Route 9 to Cerulean (this is the one that really freaked me out haha). Then, also saw this one when I started flying to the Rock Tunnel PC. When I first rode there, I didn't notice anything in that spot, and it didn't show up when I rode back up to Route 9 or came back. The sprite would just keep facing up and down; after exploring Rock Tunnel and getting to it, turns out it was supposed to be the Zapdos sprite (I was kind of afraid to interact with it just in case it was a save-crashing bug or something haha). Finally, this happened earlier (and the pic for it is still on my phone but it's late and I should be in bed lol), but in Celadon, after exiting the PC, what should've been the sprite for that one guy's Poliwrath was--you guessed it!--another Gold/Ethan sprite.

Like I said, you might've already known about it and it's fixed for 2.0+, but I figured I'd point it out, haha. Worth noting that I use MyBoy! on my phone to play it, and I shuffle between fast-forwarding (which I think is 2x speed) and playing at normal speed, depending on mood. Looking forward to starting fresh with 2.0+ after knocking out 1.1.2! It's kind of neat to play after beating Mateo's Red++, haha.

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Hey, Rangi! First off, I want to thank you for all the work you put into this hack!

You're welcome! I'm glad other Pokémon fans like it.

it's a bit jarring that the trainers would be lower-upper 40s while the Leaders are at upper 50s-mid 60s

This is one of the things 2.0.0 tried to fix, although I'm not sure yet how well-balanced the new level curve is. I kept the Gym Leaders the same and adjusted the trainers and wild Pokémon proportionally.

I figure I'll go ahead and just finish out 1.1.2 and do a true Nuzlocke in 2.0+ [since I've kinda/sorta cheated here/there with the "faint=death" rule due to shenanigans I couldn't take :sweatdrop:]

Turn on Nuzlocke mode, then! No cheating possible. ;)

I'm fairly sure all the sprite errors you cite have been fixed, but do let me know if any still happen in 2.0.1.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2016
    Um... seems like you missed my post on the last page. So, if I may...

Some more fixes. There are no random encounters while surfing on Cherrygrove Bay. I suppose this wasn't intentional. Fishing works OK.

Crunch's description still says it may lower Sp. Defense. The move correctly lowers Defense, though.

Ice Shard's description is buggy, it seems Toxic's also shows up at the same line after it and causes some graphical issues.

...Which brings us to the next 'glitch'. While trying to track which move was being mentioned in that description, I found out that Toxic actually does hit through Fly and Dig when used by Poison types. Sorry. I didn't know about it. Looks like you'll have to refix it.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2021
    I started playing this hack. I really love it!!!! Just a couple of questions for anyone.

1) How can I evolve Haunter/other trade Evolutions?

2) What about item-specific evolutions (like Seadra,Onix, etc.)

3) I noticed that you made the ID's of some wonder trade pokemon anime references or other hackers (i saw mateo as an id)

I really love this hack!!! Keep it up!!

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Besides Naturia, this is the best GSC sidehack i've played, being one of the few which caught my attention. I wished for a good Johto remake, since HGSS wasn't really a good remake for me and this one seems to have everything I want (found a Sunkern in Route 30, yay). By playing Version 2.01 I'm starting to see Lyra in a different light being a sweet friendly rival. I've just started and I noticed some grapichal errors.

As well discovering a small bug, when I fled from wild Pokémon in Route 29, no music is playing unless I left Route 29 or encountering a wild Pokémon. It doesn't appear when I defeated the wild Pokémon. When I fled from a wild Pokémon in Route 30, the route theme started to play normally.

Here are some screenshots depicting the errors:

Attachments

Bug.PNG
      3.7 KB · Views: 6
      Bug2.PNG
      3.3 KB · Views: 5
      Bug4.PNG
      2.5 KB · Views: 6
      Bug5.PNG
      2.6 KB · Views: 6

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    I found a bug.

If you get into a wild battle in Route 29 after the Lyra capture tutorial, after the battle is over, the music will disappear. It doesn't matter how you get away from the battle -- capture the pokémon, flee the battle or faint it. Further battles, or previous battles on the route, doesn't cause this. Exiting Route 29 via the Route 46 gatehouse will cause it to briefly reappear during fadeout, this doesn't happen when going to New Bark and presumably not when you go to Cherrygrove either.

EDIT:
    As well discovering a small bug, when I fled from wild Pokémon in Route 29, no music is playing unless I left Route 29 or encountering a wild Pokémon. It doesn't appear when I defeated the wild Pokémon. When I fled from a wild Pokémon in Route 30, the route theme started to play normally.
    Was this after the capture tutorial with Lyra? Just wondering if you got it in some other way...

Last edited:

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    As for extending Bag space, I think a seperate bag for Berries would make the most sense. Perhaps you wont even need to reduce the Item tab space if you make the Berry tab fixed-order like how it was before 6gen?

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    There are no random encounters while surfing on Cherrygrove Bay.
    Crunch's description still says it may lower Sp. Defense. The move correctly lowers Defense, though.
    Ice Shard's description is buggy, it seems Toxic's also shows up at the same line after it and causes some graphical issues.
    Toxic actually does hit through Fly and Dig when used by Poison types.
    when I fled from wild Pokémon in Route 29, no music is playing unless I left Route 29 or encountering a wild Pokémon. It doesn't appear when I defeated the wild Pokémon. When I fled from a wild Pokémon in Route 30, the route theme started to play normally.
    If you get into a wild battle in Route 29 after the Lyra capture tutorial, after the battle is over, the music will disappear.

All fixed, thank you.

I've just started and I noticed some grapichal errors.

I've never seen these before. What emulator are you using? Does it happen with any other ROMs?

As for extending Bag space, I think a seperate bag for Berries would make the most sense. Perhaps you wont even need to reduce the Item tab space if you make the Berry tab fixed-order like how it was before 6gen?

Editing just one pocket of the Bag to be fixed-order would probably be more complicated than just using two bytes per item. Right now the 16 Balls, 23 Key Items, and 73 TM/HMs can all fit in their pockets at once, but there are 141 regular items and you can only carry 30 and store 50 in the PC. 17 of those are Berries/Apricorns, 10 are Mail, 34 are medicine, 45 are held items, and the remaining 35 are miscellaneous (including X items, Repels, Stones, Fossils, and valuable items).

I'll add two Berry and Medicine pockets, which is canon anyway. The Ball pocket stays, I don't know why the new generations got rid of it. And a held item pocket, while it's never appeared in the official games, would be useful, but that brings the total to 7 pockets. Too many?

Last edited:

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • Editing just one pocket of the Bag to be fixed-order would probably be more complicated than just using two bytes per item. Right now the 16 Balls, 23 Key Items, and 73 TM/HMs can all fit in their pockets at once, but there are 141 regular items and you can only carry 30 and store 50 in the PC. 17 of those are Berries/Apricorns, 10 are Mail, 34 are medicine, 45 are held items, and the remaining 35 are miscellaneous (including X items, Repels, Stones, Fossils, and valuable items).

I'll add two Berry and Medicine pockets, which is canon anyway. The Ball pocket stays, I don't know why the new generations got rid of it. And a held item pocket, while it's never appeared in the official games, would be useful, but that brings the total to 7 pockets. Too many?

Honestly, the more pockets, the better. Scrolling through the items list seemingly takes forever, so separating out items into their own pockets will alleviate scroll times too in addition to the bag space issue. I still think Apricorns should go into variables. Have the player get, like, an Apricorn Case Key Item or something since hiding them away from the player doesn't matter and only have Kurt able to see what Apricorns you're packing.

I'm in Kanto. Having a bit of a rough time, as I think that I've fallen out of the curve. I always visit all the towns in Kanto before doing Gyms to have the Fly locations, and I've been running into Trainers that are 5-9 levels higher than I am. I'm restructuring my team now to hopefully be a step up in power and type coverage/resistances. What is the intended route through Kanto?

Couple oversights. Boy at the top floor of the Celadon Dept. Store is still lamenting that there are no games to try out on display, but there are now. The former Daycare Center south of Cerulean still has the for sale sign out on its front door that says the house is empty (this is a leftover from beta G/S that doesn't make sense now). There's also a male Bug Catcher in Viridian Forest named Stacey. Unfortunately, there's no sign of Stacey's mom anywhere. I hear that she's got it going on.

Gonna do some grinding on super speed to get my new team members up to where the old ones are before continuing. Still having a ton of fun. Keep up the good work!

EDIT: This is more along the lines of what I was thinking for Olivine, and you can avoid sideways stairs doing this. Forgive me, I don't have the cool tiles that you have, but this is just a mockup to show you what I mean:

EDIT3: Nuzlocke Mode turned itself on again after I imported my phone save file back into VBA. Come to think of it, the Nuzlocke Mode did turn itself on after a softreset and reload on other occasions, but it doesn't do it all the time. Maybe look into the softreset and loadgame functions to see if they're messing with values?

EDIT4: Sudowoodo respawned even though I caught it, and I just ran into roaming Suicune, even though I caught it.

Last edited:

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    As for fixed-order berry pocket, I guess I understand. I just thought that you could easily reuse the TM/HM logic (pretty sure this is fixed space), but perhaps not.
    A berry and a medicine pocket makes sense, however I'm not sure if a hold-item-tab does. IMO, too many pockets can also be annoying to browse, and unless you are able to fit every item that exist in the game in the bag, also compromises bag space (let me put it this way: 10 hold items + 25 ordinary items in a 35-space tab fits, 10 hold items in a 15-item hold tab and 25 in a 20-item main tab doesn't). Also, perhaps you could call the medicine pocket "battle pocket" or similar and include X items.
    I do agree to have a ball tab though, I always found it weird that the later generations got rid of it. Perhaps because of the revamped battle interface?
    As for PC storage, IMO it would be more convenient to just be able to fit more in the main bag (e.g. remove the PC storage's 50 items and allow 80 items in the main tab instead). This is what later generations did also.

I still think Apricorns should go into variables.
    Didn't HGSS have some kind of "apricorn case"? Maybe you could have that as a key item.

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I always visit all the towns in Kanto before doing Gyms to have the Fly locations, and I've been running into Trainers that are 5-9 levels higher than I am.

Interesting approach. I designed the level curve assuming that your team was capable of beating the last met Gym. And then the wild-trainer-leader level gaps are roughly based on the ones in Johto, i.e. trainers are somewhat stronger than wild Pokémon and the best trainer in an area is just below the local Leader's lowest Pokémon.

What is the intended route through Kanto?

It's hinted at by the Trainer Card. Vermilion → Saffron → Power Plant via Cerulean → double back to Cerulean Cap and Gym → Rock Tunnel → Lavender. From there you can get back to Vermilion via Route 8 or Routes 12 and 11 and wake up Snorlax. Then things get less linear. I followed the GSC and HGSS level curve and made the progresson Erika → Janine → Brock, but they're close enough together that any order would do. Anyway, the Seafoam Islands and Cinnabar Volcano have the highest-leveled Pokémon before Cerulean Cave and Mt. Silver.

Boy at the top floor of the Celadon Dept. Store is still lamenting that there are no games to try out on display, but there are now.
    The former Daycare Center south of Cerulean still has the for sale sign out on its front door that says the house is empty (this is a leftover from beta G/S that doesn't make sense now).

Fixed.

There's also a male Bug Catcher in Viridian Forest named Stacey.

That's from HG/SS, it can be a boy's name too.

This is more along the lines of what I was thinking for Olivine, and you can avoid sideways stairs doing this.

Something like this, then?

The blocked boardwalk looks a bit awkward, but I've been meaning to connect Olivine City to Goldenrod Harbor via a sea route anyway. There will need to be a gatehouse between them, though, since map connections mean that they have to share the same limited set of sprites, and uniting {Route 34, Goldenrod City, Goldenrod Harbor} and {Route 38, Route 39, Olivine City, Route 40, Route 41, Cianwood City} is just not possible.

As for PC storage, IMO it would be more convenient to just be able to fit more in the main bag (e.g. remove the PC storage's 50 items and allow 80 items in the main tab instead).

You need PC item storage so your mom can buy items for you. And she can't give them to you herself since you might not return home until she's bought a lot.

Edit:

Sudowoodo respawned even though I caught it, and I just ran into roaming Suicune, even though I caught it.

Looks like all the static encounters had their caught test reversed. Fixed.

Last edited:

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Fair enough. And I completely forgot about Mom buying stuff for you lol. One work-around would be to have a counter increase instead, and proceed the buyings when you come back home to manage your money, but it would probably be awkward, and not really worth it I suppose.

Also, sorry if it sounds like I'm whiny, because I enjoy your work, which is why I try giving feedback and suggestions!

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Question: If I add a way to surf north from Goldenrod Harbor up to Olivine City, how should the gatehouse between them work? Should you have to land on the intermediate coast and go through a cave? Maybe some kind of dock/boathouse off Olivine's shore?

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • Question: If I add a way to surf north from Goldenrod Harbor up to Olivine City, how should the gatehouse between them work? Should you have to land on the intermediate coast and go through a cave? Maybe some kind of dock/boathouse off Olivine's shore?

I like the cave idea. Just a quick throughway like that cave off the Daycare Route in Kalos. Maybe let it expand downward optionally like the Slowpoke Well a couple floors as an extra dungeon. That Olivine looks good. The dock not being a straight line does look a bit weird though.

Just caught Moltres and got my first Gym Badge in Kanto from Blaine. Cinnabar Island is super cool and I love what you've done with it. I did wish the volcano was a bit bigger though. I dig those boulder puzzles.

EDIT: Please remove the Cut Tree in front of Erika's Gym. It sucked in RBY and it sucks now to be forced to go in one man down for your HM Slave this late in the game.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Thanks. I'll try some designs for the route ("Route 35 Coast", maybe). Here's the space available, edited with a longer dock for Olivine. (I don't want to make Route 35 longer because I'd have to lengthen a few other routes to match.) Edit: Updated the picture link.

Actually, another solution to the limited sprite issue would be to add a gatehouse between Goldenrod and the harbor. I do like the smooth connection between them, but connecting the sea route to Olivine would be even better.

Given that connected maps also have to use the same tileset, there's just no space for a decent ship, not even for small ones in the harbor (I tried).

Edit: Sure, I removed Celadon's Cut tree. The Vermilion one stays, since you can choose to Surf there instead.

Last edited:

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • Thanks. I'll try some designs for the route ("Route 35 Coast", maybe). Here's the space available, edited with a longer dock for Olivine. (I don't want to make Route 35 longer because I'd have to lengthen a few other routes to match.)

Actually, another solution to the limited sprite issue would be to add a gatehouse between Goldenrod and the harbor. I do like the smooth connection between them, but connecting the sea route to Olivine would be even better.

Given that connected maps also have to use the same tileset, there's just no space for a decent ship, not even for small ones in the harbor (I tried).

The ship could've sunk into the mud and could be accessed by a surface cave. You could put the ship tiles in a special cave tileset. That'd be cool. So like, a Connecting Cave sort of thing, but if you go off the path you could--oh! how about this!?--you could surf and head down a long waterfall and the ship sits ominously at the bottom. What if it's the ruins of the SS Anne? Or if you wanna be more boring and not imply death, a prototype of the Fast Ship that takes you to Vermillion that sunk on a test run. That'd be neat, and it'd be a good habitat for wild Corsola. A small cave like Connecting Cave in Kalos or the cave before Sky Pillar in Hoenn would work as a good gatehouse and allow for some more wild Pokemon variety. And you wouldn't need to cut Goldenrod Harbor from the rest of Goldenrod.

EDIT: Was Fairy-type Mismagius not learning Moonblast by relearner a deliberate choice or an oversight? All fully evolved Fairy-type Pokemon can learn either Moonblast or Play Rough, if I'm not mistaken.

EDIT2: I also think that you should give Ditto the highest base speed stat of all Pokemon because when enemies use him he's a free kill. At least let him Transform so that he can gain some resistances or something. Increasing his HP stat would be welcome too to make him a tad bulkier. Maybe to 68?

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Was Fairy-type Mismagius not learning Moonblast by relearner a deliberate choice or an oversight? All fully evolved Fairy-type Pokemon can learn either Moonblast or Play Rough, if I'm not mistaken.

Oh, I didn't know that. I replaced its Magical Leaf with DazzlinGleam as a Fairy move.

Last edited:

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Is there something wrong with my emulator or the game's RTC? It seems to reset itself each time I soft-reset or restart the emulator...

Back