• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I updated the route-planning image with a gatehouse to Goldenrod, and more rocks around the lighthouse. They serve two purposes: lighthouses warn of rocky coasts, and the player is guided to one spot where they run into Silver (in case they first visit Olivine via here instead of north). Edit: Re-updated with a basic coast sketch.

Since the Goldenrod gate means that one between Olivine and the route isn't strictly necessary, I won't include one.

Edit:

I also think that you should give Ditto the highest base speed stat of all Pokemon because when enemies use him he's a free kill. At least let him Transform so that he can gain some resistances or something. Increasing his HP stat would be welcome too to make him a tad bulkier. Maybe to 68?

Good idea, to make up for the lack of Quick Powder. I think 108 is sufficient, though.

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Perhaps doing something like Liquid Crystal does, and adding a land route that is between them and only accessible from the new sea routes. The gate house could be in this land area (but size it similarly to a normal small route, otherwise it will look too silly). Having a new cave accessible from this area sounds nice too, but maybe don't make it be mandatory to take the cave each time.

Something like the Abandoned Ship from RSE might be cool in this new area too.

Are there screenshots of Liquid Crystal's open ocean maps?

Enemy Alakazam seem to be favoring Future Sight over all other moves, even when they've already foreseen an attack. It's not a great move anyway, so maybe make the line learn it earlier so that by endgame it'll be overwritten in the generic Trainer learnsets and they'll actually be dangerous.

EDIT: Persian can't learn False Swipe? Lame.

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    A minor feature: Moomoo accepts Oran (regular) or Sitrus (Gold) Berries. Sitrus Berries heal +2.

bBvhgfv.png

I also revised the Berry locations, so they tend to get better later in the game.

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Here's the plan for the Route 36 Coast:

l6IW6N7.png

There'll be some Swimmers in the water, and other trainers on the rocky beach. I don't know what to put there apart from the visual, and some valuable items (Nugget, Pearl, Star Piece, etc).

Edit: Actually, with a gatehouse separating Goldenrod Harbor and the Route 36 Coast from Goldenrod City and Route 34, I could unite the rest of the sea, something like this. Let you Surf straight from Goldenrod across to Cianwood. I'd just have to make the pharmacist not give you the SecretPotion until you talk to Jasmine. (And I feel like there should be some reward for exploring all that water...) The expanded route would need new Swimmer trainers, of course, and I'm not great at inventing filler dialog. Any contributions?

(Pokémon Polished Crystal: 7.8/10, too much water.)

Last edited:
    Years
  • A minor thing that I found in 2.0.1
    The couple that it's Route 35 have their names mixed up, iirc the boy had the girl's name, and the girl had another name(not even his boyfriend lol).

I can't provide screenshots because I always play on my 3ds but still.

If I see something else, I'll post it

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Rangi said:
    I've never seen these before. What emulator are you using? Does it happen with any other ROMs?
    I'm using VBA-M, it's the second rom happening to me. Other ROMs doesn't have the problem, aside some cave problems with Strength in Red++.

I managed to finish Sprout Tower and discovered another bug after I got HM Flash. I wanted to look into the TM bag, but it glitched out and I was thrown to the main menu. I searched the TM bag, again I got the glitch again and the game froze. I managed to make a screenshot how the "glitch" looks.

EDIT: Found out it was because I was patching the current patch in a already patched Crystal ROM, who had Version 1.10. I patched 2.01 in a clean Crystal ROM now and have to restart, but I didn't found any graphical error I depicted. Maybe the bug with the TM bag came from the same reason like the errors, I'm sorry for coming this up.

Attachments

• Bug6.PNG
      Bug6.PNG
      1.3 KB · Views: 5
    Last edited:

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    A minor feature: Moomoo accepts Oran (regular) or Sitrus (Gold) Berries. Sitrus Berries heal +2.

bBvhgfv.png

I also revised the Berry locations, so they tend to get better later in the game.

a nicer change is if you allow us to buy multiple moomoo milk in a day
    {:3}

Years
  • You should change a bit the Ledian's moveset, it only learns 2 fighting moves and none bug type, it only learns Match punch, that is good but in the late game it make no much damage and Dynamic punch, that always miss.

Just beat who I assume is the final superboss, because the credits rolled. I'll have more detailed feedback after I finish hunting my legendaries, but just a quick bug. The special Wonder Traded Pichu is supposed to be from me, but its Original Trainer is female, while my Trainer is male.

EDIT: The music in Lugia's chamber seems a bit... off.

Last edited:

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    I'd just have to make the pharmacist not give you the SecretPotion until you talk to Jasmine.
    Isn't that already the case? If you don't talk to Jasmine and go to Cianwood anyway, you don't get the SecretPotion.

Making sure you see this...
    Within this spoiler tag are spoilers for the latter half of the game, as well as some of the secrets that will be at the very tail-end of your playthrough. Don't look if you want to maintain your Kanto virginity.

Rangi, this is my Kanto feedback. It's a novel, so good luck:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    The couple that it's Route 35 have their names mixed up, iirc the boy had the girl's name, and the girl had another name(not even his boyfriend lol).

Fixed.

a nicer change is if you allow us to buy multiple moomoo milk in a day

You can buy Moomoo Milk only if you don't already have one. Probably since it's $5/HP instead of Super Potion's $14/HP.

You should change a bit the Ledian's moveset, it only learns 2 fighting moves and none bug type

Only the punching Fighting moves make sense for it. And it does learn Bug Buzz.

The special Wonder Traded Pichu is supposed to be from me, but its Original Trainer is female, while my Trainer is male.

Hm. Setting the OT gender for the random ones wasn't working either, which is why I cut that feature out for now.

The music in Lugia's chamber seems a bit... off.

I'll look into it.

Isn't that already the case? If you don't talk to Jasmine and go to Cianwood anyway, you don't get the SecretPotion.

You're right, it is. Then I just need to edit the rival encounter so you meet him coming north or south.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Rangi, this is my Kanto feedback. It's a novel, so good luck:

Ooh, thanks! This'll be good.

Spoiler:

Zef

zef
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    not sure if this was reported but my buddy ran into a level 137 exeggutor in mahogony town, a rocket with a password had it.

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2022
    And, hey, since you're giving away free candy... I mean, free moves, could you consider either letting Krabby/Kingler learn Waterfall, or making so they can learn Crabhammer earlier? (maybe switching with Slam)

I guess they knowing Waterfall wouldn't be as silly as a Flying Gyarados, also some not-a-fish looking Pokemon already learn it (Staryu, Kabuto, ...). Without Dive, Crabhammer is their only physical Water move but they learn it so late you'd have to either rely on a weak Surf/Bubblebeam or keep no Water moves at all until your non-evolved Krabby gets Crabhammer at Lv 41 (or you let it evolve and have to wait until Lv 56!!).

Shellder/Cloyster would also benefit from Waterfall with the removal of Razor Shell, although they can use special moves just fine.

I second these, I thik they should learn Waterfall too. (*cough* especially since it would make Krabby the perfect HM slave *cough*...)

I'll restart on 2.0.1 now and i'll report any bugs I find, but I play on 200% throttle all the time because i'm impatient, so i might accidentally report emulation bugs due to the doubled speed.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Here's a preview of the open ocean:

sEutCeB.png

Due to engine limitations, I still can't fill in that middle area, but it's where the S.S. Aqua docks so that's okay. There are also a couple of minor graphical glitches at the borders which might be fixable if I tweak the map connections.

You'll be able to Surf from Goldenrod Harbor up the coast of Route 35 to Olivine City, or straight across to Route 41 and Cianwood City. And there's a "connecting cave" across Route 35.

Credit to Liquid Crystal for first including an "open ocean"; that's where I got the name from.

So far the routes are mapped out, but still need trainers. Would anyone like to write some filler dialog for them?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2017
    Thank you for making such an amazing Pokemon Crystal hack, it reminds me of when I was little and enjoying the game for the very first time (its my favorite of the series) especially with all the new features/events to discover.

I did find a few glitches while playing though, my trainer card has some weird graphics on it, it shows on both Johto and Kanto gym leader badge sets, I'm not exactly sure why but I am playing with the encounter all shiny pokemon code you provided. Other than that a few things like Sacred Fire doesn't damage and seems to have an effect similar to swagger instead, Flail also hits twice like double slap, and Sunflora almost one shot my Scizor with flamethrower (not sure if this one is intended), last of all the top half of the Snorlax doll at Celadon department store glitches out when you stand in front of the cashier.

I can't seem to post images since this account hasn't been used (I only logged in to send this message) but here is what my trainer card looks like imgur(dotcom)/a/VgScN

Anyways thank you again I'll let you know if I find anymore and along with Pokemon Prism/Glazed this is one of my favorite hacks ^O^

Back