• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Sure thing man.

Also I don't quite understand what you mean by giving trading Pokemon items like calcium etc..

Each stat has an experience level from 0 to 65,536 (except Sp.Atk and Sp.Def share experience). When you KO a Pokémon, you gain stat experience equal to its base stats. Vitamins like HP Up and Calcium give 2560 experience in that stat, but can't go above 25,600. If Kadabra has at least 12,800 Special stat experience—as much as it gets from five Calcium—then it will evolve when it levels up. Same goes for Graveler/Defense/Iron, etc.

In 3.0 I'll be replacing this with an EV-like system internally. Each stat's EV will go from 0 to 255, but the effect on your stats will be identical because the stat experience formula had a square root that brought its range down to 0–255 anyway. Also, gains will be simplified. For example, beating an Electrode gives you 2 Speed EVs. Vitamins give 10, but can't go above 100. You'll need at least 50 for those Pokémon to evolve. I'll probably also add a limit of 510 total EVs, which is what makes "EV training" a separate thing from grinding in new games—you have to distribute the limited points carefully.

(Actually, I'll probably remove the vitamin limit to make EV training easier. It's still expensive—almost $500,000 to fully EV train one Pokémon with vitamins.)

Years
  • wow sweet, thats great! Glad my idea worked. Now if only rematches could be made more frequent, I almost never get phone calls from anyone.

And at more higher levels. I rematched Bug Catcher Wade of Route 31 and he had Lv. 2 Caterpies and Weedles.

uchihamadada

Victory! Means Others Destruction!!
    Years
  • Hey Rangi, please add good levels and pkm teams to the final versions of that trainers that we can rematch by phone calls.

About the EV limit, i alredy vote in a poll that is displayed above, acording to the result, Do you will decide to add that EV limit or live it just like that (like in gen I & II)?

By the way, i don't know if this is a bug, but i alredy bought the "Yellow carpet" and all the others carpets in celadon decoration market, but in my House Room...in the PC decoration sistema, doesn't appear the Yellow carpet...just check that...

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2022
    I'll probably also add a limit of 510 total EVs, which is what makes "EV training" a separate thing from grinding in new games—you have to distribute the limited points carefully.

The issue with the 510 limit - especially with your improved trainer rosters and their Pokemon having better EVs and IVs - is that you would absolutely HAVE to breed (repeatedly) to get good Pokemon in order to defeat them, since every trainer and wild Pokemon you defeat, especially in the early game, would be mostly giving you EVs you don't want.

If you really are putting in that limit, I would really like to ask for a "training house" so you can level up and train the specific EVs you want in - much like the Training Dojo in the last town of the first region in Pokemon Glazed - and maybe put it in Blackthorn City. That way you can easily power up the Pokemon you catch / breed and prepare for the Elite Four and Kanto quite nicely, instead of spending literally dozens of boring hours grinding your Pokemon on specific low-level wilds just to make sure you don't give it crap EVs.

Basically, what i'm saying is, with the 510 limit and no better way of gaining EVs / stat Exp than simply grinding on wilds, it would bring the pace of the game to a screeching halt. I much prefer the ability to max out all 6 Stat EXPs on one pokemon as is currently the case.

Years
  • This Rocket Grunt from Team Rocket HQ in Mahogany Town has a Lv. 19 Raticate while other Grunts have Pokémon at Lv. 25+.

Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Can you restore Jynx palette to the normal one (Japanese sprite)? Here you can find it: https://tcrf.net/Pokémon_Gold_and_Silver/Changed_Graphics

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2016
    Each stat has an experience level from 0 to 65,536 (except Sp.Atk and Sp.Def share experience). When you KO a Pokémon, you gain stat experience equal to its base stats. Vitamins like HP Up and Calcium give 2560 experience in that stat, but can't go above 25,600. If Kadabra has at least 12,800 Special stat experience—as much as it gets from five Calcium—then it will evolve when it levels up. Same goes for Graveler/Defense/Iron, etc.

In 3.0 I'll be replacing this with an EV-like system internally. Each stat's EV will go from 0 to 255, but the effect on your stats will be identical because the stat experience formula had a square root that brought its range down to 0–255 anyway. Also, gains will be simplified. For example, beating an Electrode gives you 2 Speed EVs. Vitamins give 10, but can't go above 100. You'll need at least 50 for those Pokémon to evolve. I'll probably also add a limit of 510 total EVs, which is what makes "EV training" a separate thing from grinding in new games—you have to distribute the limited points carefully.

(Actually, I'll probably remove the vitamin limit to make EV training easier. It's still expensive—almost $500,000 to fully EV train one Pokémon with vitamins.)

Thank you very much!

uchihamadada

Years
  • Basically, what i'm saying is, with the 510 limit and no better way of gaining EVs / stat Exp than simply grinding on wilds, it would bring the pace of the game to a screeching halt. I much prefer the ability to max out all 6 Stat EXPs on one pokemon as is currently the case.

Actually, I'm agree with this comment Rangi. I was thinking a lot about this (Limit the EV's), the pros and cons of limiting them, and I think that it is better to leave them as in this second generation are, it's better have the posiblity to raise all Six stats to his maximum posible (Max hindering, neutral or benefit natures) that the fact of having to sacrifice some of them in order to improve just One or Two... also with natures now we can focus on the stat that we want and I think with that it's more than sufficient. E.g. a "modest" Alakazam, as well as an "adamant" Golem. Well that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Actually, I'm agree with this comment Rangi. I was thinking a lot about this (Limit the EV's), the pros and cons of limiting them, and I think that it is better to leave them as in this second generation are, it's better have the posiblity to raise all Six stats to his maximum posible (Max hindering, neutral or benefit natures) that the fact of having to sacrifice some of them in order to improve just One or Two... also with natures now we can focus on the stat that we want and I think with that it's more than sufficient. E.g. a "modest" Alakazam, as well as an "adamant" Golem. Well that's just my opinion.

Besides that, if he were to do that, he may as well scrap this entire game and then rebuild it on an Emerald ROM base instead.

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2018
    Is version 3.0.0 going to be the next one? Thinking about starting a new game on 2.2.0.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    This Rocket Grunt from Team Rocket HQ in Mahogany Town has a Lv. 19 Raticate while other Grunts have Pokémon at Lv. 25+.

Can you restore Jynx palette to the normal one (Japanese sprite)? Here you can find it: https://tcrf.net/Pokémon_Gold_and_Silver/Changed_Graphics

I've fixed the Grunt and added Jynx's old sprite.

Is version 3.0.0 going to be the next one? Thinking about starting a new game on 2.2.0.

Yes, but it won't be out for a while, and it will break 2.2.0 saves. (Sorry, but it's unavoidable since I'm editing data structures.)

Maybe not... I'll admit, I mostly want to add EVs because they're official, not because they're fun. The one time I tried EV training in Emerald I wanted to do it right from the start, so I kept battling Poochyenas for Attack EVs. Either I got bored or accidentally KOed something else and gave up.

Another way to have tradeoffs for competitive players might be held items. Imagine items that raise one stat by 50%. You'd give up all those other useful held items, like Leftovers and Lum Berry, but it would be like investing EVs in that one stat. And that would be on top of the maxed-out "stat experience".

uchihamadada

Years
  • Maybe not... I'll admit, I mostly want to add EVs because they're official, not because they're fun. The one time I tried EV training in Emerald I wanted to do it right from the start, so I kept battling Poochyenas for Attack EVs. Either I got bored or accidentally KOed something else and gave up.

Another way to have tradeoffs for competitive players might be held items. Imagine items that raise one stat by 50%. You'd give up all those other useful held items, like Leftovers and Lum Berry, but it would be like investing EVs in that one stat. And that would be on top of the maxed-out "stat experience".

Yes, I fully understand your motivations, you are trying to be a perfectionist with this masterpiece and simply despite being a "hack game" you want to leave as much of details according to the current generation of this RPG games

I have to admit that your idea of hold ítems that boost just one stat in 50% sounds really interesting, i personaly don't will use them, but for the enemies' pkms sounds great!! Maybe you can do that just enemies can use that ítems attached to their pkms :)

By the way, I mentioned you before this:
    "I don't know if this is a bug, but i alredy bought the "Yellow carpet" and all the others carpets in celadon decoration market, but in my House Room...in the PC decoration sistema, doesn't appear the Yellow carpet". I do not know if you've already check this detail. :)

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Yes, I fully understand your motivations, you are trying to be a perfectionist with this masterpiece and simply despite being a "hack game" you want to leave as much of details according to the current generation of this RPG games

I have to admit that your idea of hold ítems that boost just one stat in 50% sounds really interesting, i personaly don't will use them, but for the enemies' pkms sounds great!! Maybe you can do that just enemies can use that ítems attached to their pkms :)

By the way, I mentioned you before this:
    "I don't know if this is a bug, but i alredy bought the "Yellow carpet" and all the others carpets in celadon decoration market, but in my House Room...in the PC decoration sistema, doesn't appear the Yellow carpet". I do not know if you've already check this detail. :)

Yes, I fixed the Yellow Carpet, thanks.

Another option would be to leave space for the Berries and Items and so on that would be necessary for EV training, but don't make them available in the 3.0 release, and don't turn on the 510 limit. Which gives time to see how Abilities affect the gameplay before adding another complication.

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Items that raise stats by 50% -- so basically Choice items without the move lock-in? Sounds like it would outperform essentially everything else except for Leftovers.

uchihamadada

Years
  • Yes, I fixed the Yellow Carpet, thanks.

Another option would be to leave space for the Berries and Items and so on that would be necessary for EV training, but don't make them available in the 3.0 release, and don't turn on the 510 limit. Which gives time to see how Abilities affect the gameplay before adding another complication.

Totally agree! It will be interesting to see how Abilities change the game experience during game play, I will wait expectantly to see that :)

uchihamadada

Years
  • Items that raise stats by 50% -- so basically Choice items without the move lock-in? Sounds like it would outperform essentially everything else except for Leftovers.

That's the reason why a say that would be a good idea if that kind of ítems are exclusive for enemies' pkms...because hold ítems like Magnet, Charcoal, Mystic Water...would be displaced.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Items that raise stats by 50% -- so basically Choice items without the move lock-in? Sounds like it would outperform essentially everything else except for Leftovers.

Or whatever %. Just something in the range of the benefit that EV training provides, which is potentially +63 to the base stat.

Edit: A Pokémon at level 100 with base 100 and IV 31 for a stat would have it be 236. With 252 EVs, it's 299. That's a 27% increase, so I think 30% would be fair for the power-up items. (Compare that with the type-boosting items, Muscle Band, or Wise Glasses, which give a 20% damage boost in Polished Crystal.) And these would at least be post-E4, maybe even post-rematch.

Last edited:

Zef

zef
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    i haven't played since 1.0 lol, where are the elemental punches?

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    The items would be a strictly superior version of Muscle Band/Wise Glasses, then (at least the Atk/SpA version of them). Perhaps just make Muscle Band/Wise Glasses boost 30% and make 3 other items for the other stats?

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    The items would be a strictly superior version of Muscle Band/Wise Glasses, then (at least the Atk/SpA version of them). Perhaps just make Muscle Band/Wise Glasses boost 30% and make 3 other items for the other stats?

They're not quite the same. The bonuses from Muscle Band and Wise Glasses are applied to damage; what I'm proposing would directly modify Atk/SpA/whatever stat in the damage calculation. On the other hand, running some numbers with the damage formula shows that the effect is basically the same. (The "+2" in the formula means that modifying the stat is slightly less effective than a damage multiplier, but only by 1 or 2 points.) So yeah, just adding three more items is a good idea. Random name ideas: Defense = Solid Shield, Sp.Def = Aura Helmet, Speed = Quick Boots?

Off-topic: who's watching Twitch Plays Pokémon Prism? In-game calendar, custom player appearance, mining system, 20 badges, snowy village, new Pokémon with animated sprites, abilities (well, Polished Crystal 3.0 will be second)... The bag does have four pockets, though. :P (Oh, and the rainbow gradient on the title screen is quite impressive: even Gamefreak used a four-color posterized gradient for the "Pokémon" title.)

Edit:

i haven't played since 1.0 lol, where are the elemental punches?

After you beat Whitney, a man outside the Game Corner will teach them for Coins.

Last edited:

Z34guy

Pretty Little Psycho
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2022
    They're not quite the same. The bonuses from Muscle Band and Wise Glasses are applied to damage; what I'm proposing would directly modify Atk/SpA/whatever stat in the damage calculation. On the other hand, running some numbers with the damage formula shows that the effect is basically the same. (The "+2" in the formula means that modifying the stat is slightly less effective than a damage multiplier, but only by 1 or 2 points.) So yeah, just adding three more items is a good idea. Random name ideas: Defense = Solid Shield, Sp.Def = Aura Helmet, Speed = Quick Boots?

Off-topic: who's watching Twitch Plays Pokémon Prism? In-game calendar, custom player appearance, mining system, 20 badges, snowy village, new Pokémon with animated sprites, abilities (well, Polished Crystal 3.0 will be second)... The bag does have four pockets, though. :P (Oh, and the rainbow gradient on the title screen is quite impressive: even Gamefreak used a four-color posterized gradient for the "Pokémon" title.)

Edit:

After you beat Whitney, a man outside the Game Corner will teach them for Coins.

For Speed, why not make a reference to the Legend of Zelda series? Name the Speed item the Bunny Ears.

Back