• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

uchihamadada

Victory! Means Others Destruction!!
Years
  • So yeah, just adding three more items is a good idea. Random name ideas: Defense = Solid Shield, Sp.Def = Aura Helmet, Speed = Quick Boots?

Well this is my big opportunity to make a reference to my favourite games "Megaman X" (Entire saga). Here an idea for those extra boosting stat ítems:
    - ATTACK: Ultimate impact or Impact plus (Originaly called "Ultimate buster" and "Buster plus")
    - DEFENSE: Shock buffer, D-Barrier ("D" as a reference to Defense)
    - SP. ATTACK: Power drive, Overdrive
    - SP.DEFENSE: Hyper guard
    - SPEED: Hyper dash, Speedster or Speed shot

By the way, I read that Muscle band and Wise glasses boost their respective Stats by 20% (Just like the other boosting hold ítems like Spell tag, etc), is that correct? Because i used to think that only ítems like Magnet, Miracle seed boost by 20% and Muscle band and Wise glasses boosted just in 10% cuz boost an entire category of attaks (Physical or Special). o_O

Master Terrador

Mostly Dead
    Years
  • Off-topic: who's watching Twitch Plays Pokémon Prism? In-game calendar, custom player appearance, mining system, 20 badges, snowy village, new Pokémon with animated sprites, abilities (well, Polished Crystal 3.0 will be second)... The bag does have four pockets, though. :P (Oh, and the rainbow gradient on the title screen is quite impressive: even Gamefreak used a four-color posterized gradient for the "Pokémon" title.)

You bet I am, looks insane ever since I caught the trailer in a thread, can't wait to take this for a spin in december. I never thought I'd actually see it finished, thought either KBM would move on or I would, glad to see his almost 10 years in the making hack finished.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Well this is my big opportunity to make a reference to my favourite games "Megaman X" (Entire saga). Here an idea for those extra boosting stat ítems:
    - ATTACK: Ultimate impact or Impact plus (Originaly called "Ultimate buster" and "Buster plus")
    - DEFENSE: Shock buffer, D-Barrier ("D" as a reference to Defense)
    - SP. ATTACK: Power drive, Overdrive
    - SP.DEFENSE: Hyper guard
    - SPEED: Hyper dash, Speedster or Speed shot

By the way, I read that Muscle band and Wise glasses boost their respective Stats by 20% (Just like the other boosting hold ítems like Spell tag, etc), is that correct? Because i used to think that only ítems like Magnet, Miracle seed boost by 20% and Muscle band and Wise glasses boosted just in 10% cuz boost an entire category of attaks (Physical or Special). o_O

Well, Attack and Special Attack are taken, I like Bunny Hood for Speed, and Noun Guard will be for the condition-preventing items. Are there any Shields in MegaMan that could be used for Defense? Max 12 characters.

I may go with Barrier Suit and Screen Suit for the move reference.

Yeah, officially Wise Glasses and Muscle Band boost by 10%. I changed it to 20% to make up for the lack of really powerful items like Assault Vest and Choice Band/Scarf/Specs. Might change it back if/when those are added.

Years
  • Maybe I'm a little paranoid about the proposed way to address "pseudo EV" training by adding items that boost the respective stats by 30 %, because that would cause a "weird" imbalance in damage calculations that would render some other items/strategies useless.

Currently the Stat Exp system is implemented as if ALL of our Pokes with Max Training have an hypothetical spread of full 252 HP/252 Att/252 Def/252 SpDef/252 SpAtk/252 Spd, which makes them a lot more bulky by virtue of having a lot more HP and Defenses that "current" version of the Pokes found in the newer games without sacrificing offensive stats, there are not compromises made to make things viable.

If there is an implementation of the proposed items and factoring in the current system that already accounts natures then the gap becomes kind of high in the offensive side, but in the defensive side is not the same... specially when a defensive Poke appreciates more the use of Leftovers or Lum Berries to perform their roles.

The items would make any Poke to have the full 252 EV on ALL their stats + Nature boosting effects (+ 10%) + Item effect (+30 %), effectively making a Modest Charizard start the battle with 455 SpAtk with NO drawbacks (Assuming vanilla base SpAtk of 109) instead of 522 and being Choice locked or 452 with a Life Orb! And even with that boost as everything in GSC is at least 60 % more bulky won't make the same difference than with proper EV implementation (that Charizard wouldn't even 3HKO ANY Snorlax in the game with STAB Fire Blast anytime soon).

My apologies if this is a little more like a rant, but maybe just keeping things as is would be nice to focus into abilities or other things while the real prupose of the EV implementation discussion comes to an end, as as far as I know there is currently no way to alter NPCs Stat Experience to level things up a little to really NEED a boost to our in game teams...

Thanks a lot and hope this post doesn't annoy or upset anybody!

Best regards.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    The items would make any Poke to have the full 252 EV on ALL their stats + Nature boosting effects (+ 10%) + Item effect (+30 %), effectively making a Modest Charizard start the battle with 455 SpAtk with NO drawbacks (Assuming vanilla base SpAtk of 109) instead of 522 and being Choice locked or 452 with a Life Orb! And even with that boost as everything in GSC is at least 60 % more bulky won't make the same difference than with proper EV implementation (that Charizard wouldn't even 3HKO ANY Snorlax in the game with STAB Fire Blast anytime soon).

Thank you for your feedback! This is just a random idea, I don't know if it will work or not, so I'd like to hear what people think of it. My reasoning was like this: imagine that competitive battlers had 0 EVs. Then EV training one stat would be like giving one of these boost items to a Pokémon. And we know that makes for a fairly balanced game, so I don't expect these items to be overpowered.

As you say, in the official games a Modest Charizard can start with 455 Sp. Attack if Choice-locked or 452 with a Life Orb. If it held 30%-boosting Wise Glasses, it would start at 455 without a penalty—but the opposing Pokémon has 255 Sp. Def, whereas in the official games it probably EV trained Attack or Sp. Attack, so the extra bulk evens things out.

I will try some practice battles with max-EV Pokémon before actually releasing these items.

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Maybe I'm a little paranoid about the proposed way to address "pseudo EV" training by adding items that boost the respective stats by 30 %, because that would cause a "weird" imbalance in damage calculations that would render some other items/strategies useless.

Currently the Stat Exp system is implemented as if ALL of our Pokes with Max Training have an hypothetical spread of full 252 HP/252 Att/252 Def/252 SpDef/252 SpAtk/252 Spd, which makes them a lot more bulky by virtue of having a lot more HP and Defenses that "current" version of the Pokes found in the newer games without sacrificing offensive stats, there are not compromises made to make things viable.

If there is an implementation of the proposed items and factoring in the current system that already accounts natures then the gap becomes kind of high in the offensive side, but in the defensive side is not the same... specially when a defensive Poke appreciates more the use of Leftovers or Lum Berries to perform their roles.

My apologies if this is a little more like a rant, but maybe just keeping things as is would be nice to focus into abilities or other things while the real prupose of the EV implementation discussion comes to an end, as as far as I know there is currently no way to alter NPCs Stat Experience to level things up a little to really NEED a boost to our in game teams...

Thanks a lot and hope this post doesn't annoy or upset anybody!

Best regards.
    If your concern are NPC trainers, you shouldn't worry, because there is intention to give NPCs EVs, and I personally want to look into improvng the in game AI. With that aside I am having some trouble to see what you are saying. Offense already has plenty of alternatves as you mention, and to me what would really make the potential difference is the speed item but even there I hardly think the balance would be wrecked, just different.

uchihamadada

Years
  • Well, Attack and Special Attack are taken, I like Bunny Hood for Speed, and Noun Guard will be for the condition-preventing items. Are there any Shields in MegaMan that could be used for Defense? Max 12 characters.

I may go with Barrier Suit and Screen Suit for the move reference

Well, actually a Boss called "Armored armadillo" has a very strong defense, he use an attack called "Rolling Shield" and "Guarding" (this one is basically like a mirror coat or counter attack), taking that two moves of him it comes to my mind an ítem called "GUARD SHIELD" to boost defense Stat

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    What about the chance of adding special abilities? It might be hard I dunno if it'll work but I figured I'd touch on it.

Zef

zef
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    edit: solved my own problem but have a new one

i checked the github and not sure what it meant for haunters evolution requirements: EVOLVE_EVS, MON_SPD_EV

Last edited:

JelloItUp

Challenge Accepted
    Years
  • This may be a stupid problem, but it's ticking me off and even if I restart the game from zero I can't do anything. Yes, it's a first gym problem. I talked to Prof. Oak, gone back to Elm, gave him the egg, talked to my mom, beat sprout tower, all that stuff, but I can't go into the gym even after having done all that. He still says that Falkner is in the Dark Cave... what do I do? Please solve my dumb problem.

Last edited:

curiters

Oblivious - prevents me from being afflicted by in
    Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2017
    This may be a stupid problem, but it's ticking me off and even if I restart the game from zero I can't do anything. Yes, it's a first gym problem. I talked to Prof. Oak, gone back to Elm, gave him the egg, talked to my mom, beat sprout tower, all that stuff, but I can't go into the gym even after having done all that. He still says that Falkner is in the Dark Cave... what do I do? Please solve my dumb problem.

lol go to dark cave and basically find him its very easy dude , are u afraid of the dark?

Master Terrador

Mostly Dead
    Years
  • edit: solved my own problem but have a new one

i checked the github and not sure what it meant for haunters evolution requirements: EVOLVE_EVS, MON_SPD_EV

Speed Stat experience evolves it, the threshold is 5 carbos and it'll evolve on level up

JelloItUp

Challenge Accepted
    Years
  • Does anyone know where to get Porygon since it's not in the Game Corner anymore?

EDIT: No need, I lucked out and got a Porygon2 in the Wonder Trade.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2020
    A bit late to the discussion but if there's no limit on EVs wouldnt the competitive battling scene(If/when it is implemented) be insane?

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    There are now two Pokémon with variant forms: Pikachu and Arbok. Arbok has different markings in Johto and Kanto.

4ydRANn.png

If you catch an Ekans in either region, it will have the correct form when it evolves.

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
  • A bit late to the discussion but if there's no limit on EVs wouldnt the competitive battling scene(If/when it is implemented) be insane?

I'd like it that way simply because I like that there's no limit to a pokemon's potential even if it has shitty stats, iv or whatever else that may hinder it. That's one of the primary reason I play gen 2 more than gen 3 cause the latter was kinda limiting my options and making me think of tiers, natures, ivs and evs instead of simply enjoying pokemon for fun.

uchihamadada

Years
  • Hi Rangi, Maybe is a good idea add some place (maybe in Trainer House), i wich we can train lower level pkms, i was training a Larvitar, scither, totodile...few day ago and it was really difficult because practicly when you alredy finish the game the only way to train pkms between Lv 10-40 is with wild pkms (earning low exp) and agains those few pkm breeders. I don't know, maybe if you add a place in wich we can choose battle agains trainer in levels 10, 20 and 30 probably with ramdon teams, and not final evolutions like charizard, Rhyperior...just first and second pkm evolutions according to the Lv that we choose, i think that will be a better way to train our pkm teams :)

Here another idea:
    -Can choose the number of Fresh water, Soda pop and Lemonade that we desire to buy from the machine {:3}

By the way, nice work with Arbok's alternate form...it will be interesting to se more things like that in game ^^

Back