• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    Another glitch (As of 2.20)

When you go to Pokemon > Item > Give and then 'give' them a TM, the game gives you a random item and the TM stays unmodified. Oddly enough, you can only have up to one of those items in your bag at a time, For instance, if you try to do the Pokemon > Item > Give twice and then take the item twice it still says you have one.

Also are PP UP's broken in game? I used the glitch to give myself a PP Up and it rose a different move's Power Points instead of the one I selected, and sometimes it doesn't raise it at all...

Regardless I'm having a blast playing this!

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Another glitch (As of 2.20)

When you go to Pokemon > Item > Give and then 'give' them a TM, the game gives you a random item and the TM stays unmodified. Oddly enough, you can only have up to one of those items in your bag at a time, For instance, if you try to do the Pokemon > Item > Give twice and then take the item twice it still says you have one.

Also are PP UP's broken in game? I used the glitch to give myself a PP Up and it rose a different move's Power Points instead of the one I selected, and sometimes it doesn't raise it at all...

Regardless I'm having a blast playing this!

Thanks, I've fixed both of these now.

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2022
    The Focus Blast animation looks good, thanks. I can add a yellow energy ball object for it. Please post the code?

No need to, I made a pull request with the code for Focus Blast and a new object for the yellow orb:
    Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Also it seems that the commit you did to prevent Sketch from working should the user be transformed makes the game soft-resets upon sending a Pokémon to battle.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    No need to, I made a pull request with the code for Focus Blast and a new object for the yellow orb:

Also it seems that the commit you did to prevent Sketch from working should the user be transformed makes the game soft-resets upon sending a Pokémon to battle.

Thanks! I put back the Sketch Transform code, because the battle-crashing glitch has been around for a while already. It's just because FIQ's battle engine refactoring is in progress.

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    The lower half of the Pokémon's back sprite, where the move attribute window appears, uses palette #7, while the upper half still uses #0. When the window opens I just change the palette's colors for the type+category icons. This is faster that changing the tiles' palette assignment, but it also requires palette #7 to be kept in sync with #0. Just edited battle/bg_effects.asm:BGEffects_LoadBGPal0_OBPal1, which should fix it.

I'm still not 100% satisfied with this method. There's a single frame between changing the palette and updating the tile, which causes barely-noticeable color mismatches:

Spoiler:

The Focus Blast animation looks good, thanks. I can add a yellow energy ball object for it. Please post the code?

Edit: Okay, now both sides' status colors use palette #5, so I can put the type+category+backsprite one as #6 and leave #7 for just the bottom text box. Had to do this because Focus Energy and Sky Attack were affecting the text box. (So were color inversions, but that looked alright.)

Is there space to do a 5gen-style (6gen+ not viable) toxic indicator? Which is basically, use the background for ordinary PSN as PSN text, and use black (gray in BW/B2W2) as background.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Is there space to do a 5gen-style (6gen+ not viable) toxic indicator? Which is basically, use the background for ordinary PSN as PSN text, and use black (gray in BW/B2W2) as background.

There is. I've just implemented it, bright purple on black, but every single battle I try freezes as soon as the Pokémon are sent out, so testing will have to wait. (What is the Gen 6 indicator?)

Edit: Mockup appearance:

Last edited:

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    There is. I've just implemented it, bright purple on black, but every single battle I try freezes as soon as the Pokémon are sent out, so testing will have to wait. (What is the Gen 6 indicator?)

Well, 6-7gen status indicators in general aren't feasible (it prints the whole text, "FROZEN", etc), but I was specifically referring to its purple tint to the text rather than purple on black, which would need 4 pallet colors (and you only have 3 available if you want to have the opponent and player share a single pallet).

Fid

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2019
    Item icons are all done!

Some items, like GSC's Mail or the Berserk Gene, have original ones.

Congratulations on such a remarkable hack. I played it before and just started a new run earlier, seeing this post is very nice, and the icons look perfect. Keep up the excellent work!

Suggestion, do you think it would be feasible to give Cycling Road the feeling that it's elevated above the ocean (hopefully without having to mess with the tileset much)? Because Vermillion Port doesn't make sense the way that Cycling Road is presented in game. The body of water that the port sits on is technically surrounded by land on all sides.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Suggestion, do you think it would be feasible to give Cycling Road the feeling that it's elevated above the ocean (hopefully without having to mess with the tileset much)? Because Vermillion Port doesn't make sense the way that Cycling Road is presented in game. The body of water that the port sits on is technically surrounded by land on all sides.

I think it already is:

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2017
    Hay im new here, can ya tell me how to install your game? I am using a visual boy advanced player but do i need another player to use your hack?

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2022
    Hay im new here, can ya tell me how to install your game? I am using a visual boy advanced player but do i need another player to use your hack?

You need a clean ROM of Pokemon Crystal (which we are not legally allowed to provide, you'll have to find one), and a program called Lunar IPS which can be found here.

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2023
    All those screenshots are looking amazing! I'm not that surprised that the university is taking such great shape though. For a location that never appeared in the games, there's a ridiculous number of references to it in Pokémon lore spanning multiple sources. That and the fact that an area like that has a lot of scope for development. Since it's getting so big, it almost feels as though there should be a sidequest in there or something... I can't think of any ideas for that though :/

By the way, where did you eventually decide to put the university? Next to the Pokémon Centre or near the Gym? Also, has Mateo agreed to put it in the same place for Red++?

Back