• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2023
    I've encountered a few potential bugs in the latest version.

Spoiler:

I'll report any more if I come across them.

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Fixed the sand veil thing (also affected Snow Cloak), will apply once Rangi merges my PR.

Low HP alert only sounding for a few seconds is intentional, it is like that in XY and onwards, and it makes it less annoying.

Regarding this bug: - Weather like Sunny Day and Rain Dance, as well as abilities that take place every turn like Speed Boost (as seen on Bugsy's Yanma) occasionally trigger the damage animation on the opponent's Pokemon. No damage is dealt obviously, but the animation and sound effect are present.

I'm not able to reproduce this. Could you give an example of when it occurs, what trainer battle's mon and what you used, etc?

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I've encountered a few potential bugs in the latest version.
    I'll report any more if I come across them.

I've fixed Cherrygrove's music, and filed the others that weren't already known.

I need to resize Pikachu's animation to 7x7 tiles instead of 5x5 and put it back in, since all its forms have to be the same size. Edit: Done!

Breeders rebattling is an intentional feature from Gen 5.

Starter natures are not locked, it's just a coincidence.

A level 18 Croconaw should also know Water Gun and Rage. I don't know why the AI wasn't using Water Gun.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2023
    Thank you for clearing up the intentional changes. A lot of them do make sense but I wanted to be sure.

what trainer battle's mon and what you used, etc?
    I first encountered this while fighting Bugsy, I don't recall what Pokemon I was using but it was either Pidgeotto or Quilava. At least once after Yanma's Speed Boost activated, the damage animation played. It wasn't consistent.
    I encountered it again with Breeder Julie's Togepi. Metronome drew Sunny Day. On the next turn when the sunshine animation played, it was followed by the damage animation. It didn't happen after that. I was using Paras.
    I could look into whether Rain Dance can trigger it as well, since it's fairly easy to get early on.

Edit:
    I managed to reproduce the issue with Rain Dance.
    Spoiler:

Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

I've fixed Cherrygrove's music, and filed the others that weren't already known.
    I didn't even think to check the previously filed issues, sorry about that. I'll be sure to do that next time.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I've fixed the music bug, but cannot reproduce the HM03 bug.

I actually had the same issue while playing a rom built from the github source. I noticed there was a glitch TM00 at the top of the TM/HM pocket which seemed to be the cause:

This is what happens when the last HM in the bag is selected:

And this is what happens when Cancel is selected:

Years
  • I actually had the same issue while playing a rom built from the github source. I noticed there was a glitch TM00 at the top of the TM/HM pocket which seemed to be the cause:

This is what happens when the last HM in the bag is selected:

And this is what happens when Cancel is selected:

That's exactly what happened, however after I was able to get to Cinawood City, which by the way the music doesn't appear to be playing right. It plays like broken instruments and beeps, kind of like how the unused R/B Song that also had broken instruments before they restored it with proper instruments, I was able to get HM04 from the Gym Guide and when I went back to pick Surf, it allowed me to use it like a normal HM again, and no problems after that happened.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    That's exactly what happened, however after I was able to get to Cinawood City, which by the way the music doesn't appear to be playing right. It plays like broken instruments and beeps, kind of like how the unused R/B Song that also had broken instruments before they restored it with proper instruments, I was able to get HM04 from the Gym Guide and when I went back to pick Surf, it allowed me to use it like a normal HM again, and no problems after that happened.

How long ago did you compile it? Neither issue, the broken HM or the glitched Cianwood music, is happening for me now.

Years
  • How long ago did you compile it? Neither issue, the broken HM or the glitched Cianwood music, is happening for me now.

I dunno, though its likely because I'm using the wrong repo for Polished Crystal: I was using jpmac26's repo for PC. I didn't know the changes were being applied on roukaour's repo for pokecrystal.

EDIT: Yep, all these problems are no longer an issue since I built the right ROM from the right Repo.

Though I found a bug involving your second encounter with Lawrence III at the Power Plant. When the camera pans up to show Zapdos and back down to the player and Lawrence, the latter's sprite is invisible.

Also one bug that seems very prominate is the fact Trainers seem to have Pokemon with wrong genders, like a Trainer that is female would have a male only Pokemon, like Cowgirls, and the Tauros they have are female too.

And its vice versa for male Trainers with female only Pokemon. I get the feeling that whenever a Trainer is of one of the genders, then their Pokemon will be the same gender as the Trainer. Like as I write this, I'm fighting Maylene and she has a female Hitmontop.

I checked the base stats for gender only Pokemon and they have the proper value for that type like NidoranF is set to be only female and such.

As well, most Wild Pokemon you seem to find are Male. And again, despite being gender exclusive, it will still appear male, like Kangaskhan.

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    EDIT: Yep, all these problems are no longer an issue since I built the right ROM from the right Repo.

Though I found a bug involving your second encounter with Lawrence III at the Power Plant. When the camera pans up to show Zapdos and back down to the player and Lawrence, the latter's sprite is invisible.

Hm, I thought I fixed this...

Also one bug that seems very prominate is the fact Trainers seem to have Pokemon with wrong genders, like a Trainer that is female would have a male only Pokemon, like Cowgirls, and the Tauros they have are female too.

And its vice versa for male Trainers with female only Pokemon. I get the feeling that whenever a Trainer is of one of the genders, then their Pokemon will be the same gender as the Trainer. Like as I write this, I'm fighting Maylene and she has a female Hitmontop.

I checked the base stats for gender only Pokemon and they have the proper value for that type like NidoranF is set to be only female and such.

This is correct, and the same as it was in the original. Female trainer classes used to have low Attack DVs to make their Pokémon usually female. Now they don't have to be handicapped like that, since gender and DVs are separate, but I still set them to share a gender with their Pokémon. There are some exceptions, like Bugsy and Will, who have male and female Pokémon (like in HG/SS).

Edit: Never mind, I see what you mean. Yeah, this needs fixing.

As well, most Wild Pokemon you seem to find are Male. And again, despite being gender exclusive, it will still appear male, like Kangaskhan.

For the same reason they all have a Hardy nature, and I think 0 DVs: they aren't fully generated yet. Not buggy code, nonexistent code. :P

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2020
    By far the best hack I have ever played. Just finished Kanto with this team

Heracross lvl 82 Cross Chop, Rock Smash, Take Down & Megahorn
    Typhlosion lvl 72 Flamethrower, Earthquake, Strength & Ember
    Victreebel lvl 73 Razor Leaf, Cut, Slam & Swords Dance
    Slowking lvl 74 Surf, psychic, Ice punch & Nasty plot
    Umbreon lvl 74 Feint Attack, Toxic, Shadow Ball & Dark pulse

Crobat as a fly slave. Got Mew, Mewtwo, 3 birds and Suicune. Finding it very hard to get the other 2 dogs, will try for Lugia tonight. Also haven't tried the battle with XXX at the top off XXX (didnt wanna spoil] yet, and need the Unowns. Any hint for Celebi location?

Years
  • How exactly did this happen? Was this your first encounter with Raikou? Did you attack it or was its HP already glitched?

When I first encountered it, it was already glitched. I would've captured it, but my Box was full so I had to let it go XD If I attacked it, I'd probably would kill it.

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2023
    I've encountered an issue that may be related to Issue #75, although slightly different.
    When a caught Pokemon is the first to occupy a PC Box, its level will display as 0. Attempting to view the Pokemon's stats in the PC will cause the game to lock up. Withdrawing the Pokemon will fix the issue.

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2020
    Well, finally finished, well to the best of my knowledge, i.e 16 badges, two main bosses, all 26 Unown. Do some only return to the Dojo on certain days

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    These places all have the same music: Ruins of Alph, Union Cave, Slowpoke Well, Ilex Forest, Goldenrod Underground, Whirl Islands, Mount Mortar, and Tohjo Falls. Should I change any of them, and to what?

Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2018
    These places all have the same music: Ruins of Alph, Union Cave, Slowpoke Well, Ilex Forest, Goldenrod Underground, Whirl Islands, Mount Mortar, and Tohjo Falls. Should I change any of them, and to what?

Maybe add some some demixed sinnoh music? Like lake theme for Tohjo falls, eterna forest for ilex etc

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    For the Ruins of Alph, I'd say they're fine as is. IIRC, it uses a slowed-down, eerie version of the typical cave/dungeon/underground theme that isn't used anywhere else in the game.

For Ilex Forest, I'd say use the RBY or GSC Viridian Forest theme.

For Union Cave, I'd say switch it to the GSC Rock Tunnel music (since they're def supposed to be parallels).

I dunno if you did this already since it's been quite a while since I've played, but in HG/SS the Ice Path has its own unique "demixed" music when using the GB Sounds key item, and I think that music would be perfect instead of just the generic cave music.

For Slowpoke Well, I'd say use the RBY Rocket Hideout music while Team Rocket is still there, and then use the demixed Ice Path music I recommended above after Team Rocket gets booted out.

For the Whirl Islands, a demixed version of the Abandoned Ship music from RSE is my personal recommendation, the music sets a perfect atmosphere for diving into the depths to capture Lugia.

For the Goldenrod Underground, the Olivine Lighthouse music seems like a good fit. It's still got the "underground" vibe without sounding like a cave or dungeon theme.

As for Mount Mortar and Tohjo Falls, I can't think of anything at the moment but I'll keep thinking about it.

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2023

Spoiler:

They're the ones that come to mind right now, but I'll search around a bit and see if I can find any others that'd fit nicely.

... Unless you meant to music that already exists in-game. In which case, please ignore.

Last edited:

Linnie

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2022
    Personally, I'm not a big fan of changing around canon music too much. To try weighing in specifically on things:

Ruins of Alph absolutely shouldn't be changed, since the inside of the ruins have a unique variant of the theme used outside.

I would also consider keeping Union Cave the same, since it's the first mandatory area that has that theme. Slowpoke Well is right next to Union Cave so if that's kept the same I would also keep Slowpoke Well the same for consistency.

Goldenrod Underground is so inconsequential that I would honestly consider it weird to give it new music.

Mt. Mortar and/or Whirl Islands could both use different music though, I don't really think of "oh yeah, the Union Cave theme is playing here" when I think of them. Burned Tower has unique music in GSC, doesn't it? I could see that working in Whirl Islands, and most players probably wouldn't even think "oh, they changed this music from the original." I could see a similar thing happening by changing the Mt. Mortar theme to Mt. Silver's theme.

Ilex Forest I would try not to change, and Tohjo Falls is also really inconsequential so I don't have an opinion on it. Perhaps change Tohjo Falls' theme to the Kanto Cave theme, since it's meant to be the first barrier you cross to reach Kanto.

By changing Mt. Mortar, Whirl Islands, and Tohjo Falls, you've now reduced the number of areas Union Cave's theme plays down to five without adding any extra music to the game that would stand out.

Back