• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
  • I believe congratulations are in order for doing such an excellent job so far! I applaud the fact that you constantly update the fans, communicating with them and doing continuous work on the hack. It seems you have the right temper for doing the appropriate changes where they are necessary. I restrain myself from playing the game, as i plan to try the completed one. I know it will be some time till it will be completed, as there are quite a few bugs which need "polishing", different features to be added, etc, however it is more than worthwhile. Keep up the good work!
    P.S. Your Polished Crystal, Mateo's Red++ and Prism are what i am looking up to regarding Gen.1 and Gen. 2 hacks.
    Suggestions/Advices
    -I have already the possible suggestions, and each one would provide a little something to make it more special. I would love to finally see them implemented.
    -Great display of seasons. Loved them already. It gives a fresh feeling
    -Pokemon World Tournament (?)

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    We have decided to reward Polish Crystal's consistent excellence by making our Spotlight of the Month, enjoy being stickied for the duration of May.

Wow, thank you! ^_^ I'm glad people are following the progress of even a Gen 2 hack. I'll do my best to release 3.0 this month (but no promised)—it probably won't be 100% complete, but any missing features will be minor and can be added in a 3.1 update without breaking people's 3.0 save files. Mostly I need to finish all the map scripts, including special NPCs and a few more story events.

I believe congratulations are in order for doing such an excellent job so far! I applaud the fact that you constantly update the fans, communicating with them and doing continuous work on the hack. It seems you have the right temper for doing the appropriate changes where they are necessary. I restrain myself from playing the game, as i plan to try the completed one. I know it will be some time till it will be completed, as there are quite a few bugs which need "polishing", different features to be added, etc, however it is more than worthwhile. Keep up the good work!
    P.S. Your Polished Crystal, Mateo's Red++ and Prism are what i am looking up to regarding Gen.1 and Gen. 2 hacks.
    Suggestions/Advices
    -I have already the possible suggestions, and each one would provide a little something to make it more special. I would love to finally see them implemented.
    -Great display of seasons. Loved them already. It gives a fresh feeling
    -Pokemon World Tournament (?)

Thanks for your suggestions! I like both concepts, but they're a bit beyond the scope of Polished Crystal. Season in Gen 5 were a lot of fun, because they affected so much of the world: not just different color schemes, but hiding some areas and revealing others, different NPCs, different music, overworld weather effects... I'm running out of free space in the ROM already, and would not be able to do justice to seasons, even if I were to add a calendar system. As for the PWT, I'm not adding a tournament structure, but there will be many unique characters you can battle and rebattle throughout the world, with their own sprites and music.

Perhaps someone would be interested in reviving Rustic Black and Retro White, Gen 2 remakes of B/W. If Prism were used as a base, you'd get a lot of features pre-made: the calendar system, WAV cries, up-to-date battle mechanics, compressed text to help fit more content... They were the games to feature seasons and the PWT, after all.

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2023
    Wow, thank you! ^_^ I'm glad people are following the progress of even a Gen 2 hack. I'll do my best to release 3.0 this month (but no promised)—it probably won't be 100% complete, but any missing features will be minor and can be added in a 3.1 update without breaking people's 3.0 save files. Mostly I need to finish all the map scripts, including special NPCs and a few more story events.

Within the next month would be really cool, but honestly there's no rush to get it out the door. There's so much stuff still on the to-do list that I personally wouldn't mind waiting for as long as it takes for 3.0 to be ready.

The screenshots that you post periodically are really awesome though :D I get pretty hyped seeing new stuff like that.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    Congrats, Rangi! If any romhack deserves to be featured, it's definitely this one. Thanks again for making one of my favorite games ever magnitudes better.

where do i battle valerie!

From what I played of 2.2, I believe you battle her after leaving the Bell Tower once you battle Suicune inside.

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2024
    congrats on this getting featured, been following it forever now lmao

this is probably the definitive '251' crystal hack, good stuff

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    The Ruins of Alph hide many secrets:

Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Last edited:

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • Got myself a Shiny Pichu in the lucky egg ^_^

Hopefully it doesn't fall victim to this Nuzlocke I'm doing!

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Nice to see some actual, y'know, tourists inside the Ruins of Alph. It was always described as a local tourist attraction but never had anyone around. :P

The tourists are in the original Crystal, and leave when you solve the first sliding puzzle. I guess you always did the puzzle first. ;)

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    The tourists are in the original Crystal, and leave when you solve the first sliding puzzle. I guess you always did the puzzle first. ;)

Whoa! Now that's a neat thing I learned today. I've never explored without doing the puzzle first lol. So really, I just drove them out. :(

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Pokémon Journals in notable bookshelves, like the ones in Pokémon Centers, will inform you about people and places. This is based on the Fame Checker in FR/LG and the radio and phone calls in HG/SS.

How do i unlock all special trainers of Saffron Dojo in 2.2?

Battle Lorelei in Ice Path, Agatha in Soul House, Yellow and Walker in Yellow Forest, and Palmer in Battle Tower.

Wow, a Red++ for Gen 2? Awesome. Is there a version that keeps the original 252 without the Pokemon from later gens? If not it's fine.

There is not.

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2022
    I'm curious, what is the level curve of this hack? I'd rather challenge the leaders at equal levels instead of overgrinding or having to grind to keep up. Is there a list of the leader levels?

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2024
    How do i evolve Eevee to Umbreon/Espeon or Sylveon?
    Same way you would in the original games for the first two; you need a Shiny Stone to get the latter.

I'm curious, what is the level curve of this hack? I'd rather challenge the leaders at equal levels instead of overgrinding or having to grind to keep up. Is there a list of the leader levels?
    https://github.com/roukaour/pokecrystal/blob/master/trainers/trainers.asm

Rangi, I know that someone already told you this over GitHub but I got the same problem: I can't compile the latest version either. :(

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Same way you would in the original games for the first two; you need a Shiny Stone to get the latter.

https://github.com/roukaour/pokecrystal/blob/master/trainers/trainers.asm

Rangi, I know that someone already told you this over GitHub but I got the same problem: I can't compile the latest version either. :(

I just pushed another update, try it again. Make sure to use the latest rgbds release, or compile rgbds' latest code yourself if that doesn't work. Note that I've been testing with "make debug", not "make crystal" or "make faithful".

Remember, I have no guarantees about the latest Polished Crystal code because it's incomplete and always being updated. Maybe it won't compile on your machine, definitely it will break saves, and I can't prove that it won't set your computer on fire. ;) When 3.0 is officially out then it will support people checking out the final code and compiling that, as it does now with the 2.2.0 code. (Wow, that was 8 months ago...)

Edit: Roofs are no longer floating in space.

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    This is just an idea so far, haven't even seen how feasible it would be to implement, but: what if each Pok?mon had slight color variations? Gligar had three different hues just in Gen 4, so what if they were all possible?

You might end up with different Exeggutor that look like this (top-left is the default, the rest have 12 bits of variation allowing for 4,096 variants):

Opinions, yes or no? Too subtle to bother with?

Back