• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2018
    ETA this summer maybe? I don't mind waiting but summer break is Pokemontime for me :)I've played 2.2.0 twice and it's brilliant but I'd rather wait for the official 3.0 release than play the unfinished version of it... Keep it up, Rangi!

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    ETA this summer maybe? I don't mind waiting but summer break is Pokemontime for me :)I've played 2.2.0 twice and it's brilliant but I'd rather wait for the official 3.0 release than play the unfinished version of it... Keep it up, Rangi!

Maybe, but no promises.

Zero-G

on the fly
    Years
  • I noticed something. Could just be a small overlook (or staying true to the pokemon itself), but in all seriousness:

Please give Electivire access to TM Drain Punch :(

That's been irking me since it was revealed for DPPT. It already looks like a pokemon good at punching, so why isn't it a Fighting type? (That is fixed, which is a good thing)
    It learns a plethora of punching/jabbing moves via egg/tutor/tm already (a LOT of which are Fighting-type), you even gave it Close Combat when evolving, but why is Drain Punch still falling through the gates?

EDIT
    Alright, time for a feedback post since I just completed the 3.0 beta. Just have the completion of the pokedex left to go. So... to cut the things short, I seriously enjoyed the game even if it's currently not 100% complete. I just found a few minor flaws which I'll be listing below.

-) Gyro Ball is broken. I think it's dealing damage with a set Base Power of 1 (or something else abysmally low). Just putting in anecdotal evidence here, but a part-Fairy Mismagius is definitely not going to take just 3 (in words, three) HP of damage from a Forretress Gyro Ball. No matter how much higher it's level is.
    -) I take it that's the same reason TM 74 is inaccessible? Because if I read the github right, said TM is supposed to be Gyro Ball. And it's the only TM I don't have.
    -) Going south out of Lavender isn't possible because of the three psyched out guys claiming the radio tower is haunted. Going in, though, is. (If you're going in from Vermillion/Route 11 or after fighting the trainers on the routes between Fuchsia and Lavender.) Which effectively means you're running through them. I tried to test something with a savegame and it's possible to stand on one of those guys after reloading.
    -) SilphScope 2 has no function. I take it the sidequest relevant will be added with full 3.0?
    -)
    Spoiler:

-) Is the Odd Souvenir working as intended or is that another full 3.0 feature?

Thanks anyway. I had loads of fun here, and now I'll just work on the pokedex before I'll move to your Red/Blue hack. :P

Last edited:

Maxim

Heavy Metal Alchemist
    Years
  • Perhaps it's a bit late to the party but I was thinking about how Spaceworld Demo stuff could be used to make Polished Crystal even better.

I compiled a list. I know that some of these things might be unnecessary, hard to program or even impossible, so take that merely as a list of loose ideas.

• We now have an official sprite for Kurt which looks just perfect for this hack. I'm not sure about its use, though. It doesn't sound like a right idea to make Kurt battleable, so one possible use for it could be adding Trainer Sprites to the Pokegear Phone in similar vein to Emerald (of course, if you make Kurt give you his Pokegear phone like in HGSS). My other idea is that those Pokemon Journals could pop up a sprite of the person in question (but that'd require a lot of spriting work for characters that don't have Battle sprites).
    • Those Male Teacher, Soldier and Jogger classes look sensible to me (especially the Teacher, since he has a canonical female counterpart). Also, we now have a legit Gen II sprite for Engineer.
    • Also, I prefer that beta Biker sprite to that boring Gen I revamp they ended up using. But that's just my taste.
    • There's also an unique overworld sprite for the Medium Trainer class, you may want to use it.
    • Imposter Oak! We know him from the TCG, PokeSpe, How I Became a Pokemon Card manga and the anime (kinda, that was James there). Now we also know that he was also planned to appear in GS and we have an official sprite for him. It'd be a sin not to use that! I have a rough idea for a plot for him - if you plan to add USUM-like sidequests, there could be a plot where the "Oak" that comes to the Radio Tower for the recording of "Mary's Pokemon Talk" turns out to be the Impostor. But perhaps you'll find a better, more extensive role for him. If he becomes battleable, it'd be the best if his Battle sprite was based on the "Impostor Professor Oak" card sprite from TCG for GB, but unfortunately this sprite (aside from needing legs) doesn't fit the size of Gen II Trainer Sprites (it's too big), so it does need redrawing. But I think it's a solid basis nevertheless.
    • Poliwhirl overworld sprite. I know that all Pokemon menu sprites are all already done. But official is official. And considering that Poliwhirl is Satoshi Tajiri's beloved Pokemon (which is probably the reason why its overworld sprite was added in the first place), using this sprite may be seen as a nod towards Pokemon's original creator.
    • Minigames... Oh, minigames. I realize that it must be lots of programming and that it may be simple impossible to port them at all. But that Intro Minigame with Pikachu catching musical notes is something I would love to see in PC 4.0. I don't get why they removed it in the first place - it was fully programmed and a really nice little easter egg. It also has a special meaning to the fandom, as it was pictured on one of the memory drawings from the demo back from 1997 and we didn't really know what it meant until recently, when the ROM leaked. The graphics from the final intro could be used to update this minigame graphically.
    • Same for the rest of the minigames. Sliding puzzle (although it's very similar to the Ruins of Alph puzzle), Memory (which is semi-programmed in the final game so it's perfectly doable, although it needs some tweaking because it's pretty much unplayable - whatever you do, you lose), Picross (especially important because it's a leftover of an unreleased Game Boy game, also because of the similarities to Voltorb Flip) and Poker (although this one is basically beta Card Flip, so I could live without it). Of course, if they are portable, I'd definitely want to see them in PC (maybe in 4.0?). I even have an idea on how to incorporate them into the plot - they could be available in the basement of the Celadon Game Corner (former Rocket Hideout), renovated by the Game Corner's owner, Mr. Game.
    • I would give Umbreon a couple of Poison-type moves to reference its initial Poison typing, especially that its Pokedex entry still mentions its poisonous sweat, even in modern games, so it seems kinda fitting.
    • That Aquarium seems like a nice location but I'm not sure where to put it. Maybe Vermillion Old Man's project? Although this would require much graphical tweaking and some imagination as to its purpose.
    • Out of beta items, some that sound useful are Mom's Love (lol), which heals a 1HP of a Pokemon with every step when held, as well as an item that raises the Catch Rate (two such items in the game, named Long Vine and Long Tongue [the latter is probably related to Lickitung and/or its beta Evo])
    • I don't see too much use for beta Pokemon or region, as these are things that contradict with the canon too strongly. Maybe a couple could be used as paintings (of in-universe fictional creatures) in the Goldenrod Museum? Not sure if that's good idea, though. Another controversial idea is that the beta Beasts could be used as a representation of the Three Nameless Creatures (although I'm not sure in what context). Also, some beta facts could be referenced in the Game Freak Headquarters, USUM-style.
    • The semi-programmed feat of nicknaming your Mother for Pokegear is also present in the beta. What is more, the beta even lets you choose between three alternate choices (which translate more or less as "Mom", "Mama" and "Mother"). That doesn't sound like a useful feature but if you like "useless beta references", it might do.
    • Lastly, not really a Spaceworld-related thing, but I learned that thanks to the Spaceworld demo datamine. Apparently, the Japanese description for Fresh Water (in the final game) mentions that it comes from Mt. Silver. This reference was removed from the localizations, probably because it made the description too long. But this seems like a cool fact to be referenced by a NPC.

Of things unrelated to the Spaceworld demo, I noticed that the Pokemon Journals are rewarded by a random NPC at Mt. Silver. Have you considered replacing this character with Lisa Hatfield, a reporter who hosted the "Pokemon Journal" section of the Game Freak website back in early days? The character originates from Pulseman. I think it'd be fitting to include her as the in-universe author of the Pokemon Journal.

Also, have you considered including the Scratch Cat Girl somewhere in Kanto? Since PC takes place before SM, she should still be in Kanto. Maybe she could challenge the player (if he/she has a Meowth) to a text-based Battle between the two Meowths, similar to the one in USUM?

I also have one minor complaint. I compiled the newest ROM (turned out it wasn't as difficult as I thought) and noticed that you updated the names of Celadon Mansion and Soul House to Celadon Condominiums and House of Memories. While I do understand the Celadon Condominiums change, as the previous name was based on a mistranslation. But "House of Memories" is actually pure censorship (removed reference to death/religious stuff, also the Japanese name never changed) and we don't like censorship, do we? Since other censored stuff is left intact (like the supposedly pervy old guy outside Celadon Gym), I think Soul House should stay. But that's just my opinion.

I hope you liked my suggestions. Don't take them too much, as they're just my rough ideas that you may like or not. Your hack is awesome no matter what. Please keep up your great work.

Zero-G

on the fly
    Years
  • I would give Umbreon a couple of Poison-type moves to reference its initial Poison typing, especially that its Pokedex entry still mentions its poisonous sweat, even in modern games, so it seems kinda fitting.

Umbreon learns Toxic when hitting level 25. That's already addressed here, I'd say. Besides, what else do you want to give it? Toxic Spikes (dear god the stall)? Venoshock (somewhat plausible, but a TM)?

Zero-G

on the fly
    Years
  • Is it possible to obtain a Metal Coat before traveling to Kanto?

You can Thief one off wild Magnemite (which have a 5% chance of carrying one) or get one in the Goldenrod Dept. Store basement after. Equip an Amulet Coin to the first pokemon in your party to double the chances of pokemon carrying items.

Aurane

💀
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2018
    You can Thief one off wild Magnemite (which have a 5% chance of carrying one) or get one in the Goldenrod Dept. Store basement after. Equip an Amulet Coin to the first pokemon in your party to double the chances of pokemon carrying items.
    Yeah I found the one in the Basement. I need one more for Scizor. Thanks for the response.

Zero-G

on the fly
    Years
  • Yeah I found the one in the Basement. I need one more for Scizor. Thanks for the response.

You actually don't. Metal Coat doesn't get used up if used to evolve a pokemon (at least not in the beta I played), so one Metal Coat is enough for Scizor and Steelix.

And if you still do, Celadon Dept. Store sells them IIRC.

Last edited:

Aurane

💀
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2018
    You actually don't. Metal Coat doesn't get used up if used to evolve a pokemon (at least not in the beta I played), so one Metal Coat is enough for Scizor and Steelix.

And if you still do, Celadon Dept. Store sells them IIRC.
    Metal Coat does get used up once you evolve a Pok?mon with it. Give the Pok?mon the Metal Coat to hold level up, and then it evolves-- the item is then consumed afterwards.

I won't be catching a Scyther until tomorrow so I don't immediately need it anyways.

Zero-G

on the fly
    Years
  • Metal Coat does get used up once you evolve a Pok?mon with it. Give the Pok?mon the Metal Coat to hold level up, and then it evolves-- the item is then consumed afterwards.

I won't be catching a Scyther until tomorrow so I don't immediately need it anyways.

Out of curiosity, are you playing 2.2.0?
    I completed the beta 3.0 and in that Metal Coat does not get used up when using it to evolve Scyther or Onix.

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2018
    Hello everyone !!!
    I have a question :
    should i play pokemon polished crystal 2.2.0 / 3.0.0 in currently ??????
    what is a good choice (2.2.0 and 3.0.0 )????

Also....when release completed version ??????

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2020
    I really wish you could provide a randomized rom or instructions in how to randomize it. Pretty awesome hack, the best i've seen.

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2023
    Has this project been abandoned? I?ve been looking toward to an official and stable v3 release. But word hasn?t been given on the status in recent weeks.

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Has this project been abandoned? I?ve been looking toward to an official and stable v3 release. But word hasn?t been given on the status in recent weeks.

So, I've been busy with other things lately, and have had very little time/energy left for programming this. Usually when I have free time for Pok?mon hacking, I do something graphical, like helping with the region maps for Red++ (here's how they work). But don't worry, Polished Crystal is not abandoned. Actually, Red++ and PC use the same engine now, so Luna and I will hopefully manage to improve both games.

I really wish you could provide a randomized rom or instructions in how to randomize it. Pretty awesome hack, the best i've seen.

That's not really possible for a hack like this. You can try editing the source code, though.

Perhaps it's a bit late to the party but I was thinking about how Spaceworld Demo stuff could be used to make Polished Crystal even better.

I compiled a list. I know that some of these things might be unnecessary, hard to program or even impossible, so take that merely as a list of loose ideas.

(snip)

I hope you liked my suggestions. Don't take them too much, as they're just my rough ideas that you may like or not. Your hack is awesome no matter what. Please keep up your great work.

Thanks for your detailed suggestions! I definitely want to use some Spaceworld resource in PC, like adding a Soldier trainer to Surge's Gym, and finding uses for some of the new tiles. (Although I got most of that impulse out of my system with Red? and Blue?.)

I see no role for the Kurt sprite in PC, but Red++ might have a use for it. Or if not, some future hack of mine. ;) Same goes for Impostor Oak.

Porting minigames is really not feasible. Once the spaceworld disassembly is more complete, it will probably be useful as a hack base for people who want the engine features like minigames and the beta moves+items.

Good catch that Fresh Water comes from Mt. Silver; I could reference that somewhere around the pond there.

I'd rather leave the Pok?mon Journal fan as an unnamed NPC; but there might be a place for Lisa in Kanto's Radio Tower.

I'll keep the Scratch Cat Girl in mind when I finally get around to designing NPC teams for all the new routes.

Good point about Soul House. Will probably change it back.

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2023
    A few competitive oriented suggestions if I may:

?Perhaps edit and update the Battle Tower rosters? They?re very outdated and casual for an improvement hack of this caliber. All Pok?mon roosters should be updated with the Gen 4 Pok?mon in mind and given competitive movesets and maxed out DVs/Stat Experince. Also, allow for the NPCs to use Ubers (680 BST Pok?mon) and other legendary Pok?mon. This would add tremendous replayability value and incentivize us to scoure for the best teams in the post-game.

?Taking a page from MindCrystal, perhaps include a Battle Tower move tutor that teaches all applicable Pok?mon their Egg moves, for the cost of BP; so we can bypass that tedious feature if we so wish.

This is the best and most comprehensive hack that balances many features and additions without feeling as if it?s deviating too far from the source material. There just needs to be a greater emphasis on some post-game difficulty. That challenge aspect is what will make up the replayability. Because in my opinion, the story campaign difficulty is far too easy for an improvement hack; especially when you have access to Wonder Trading; which makes it even more so.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2022
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but how do I play the incomplete 3.0 version of the game? I know there's a github page but I honestly have no idea what to do with it.

Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2018
    Question regarding the starters in the 3.0 beta version. Are they able to be shiny hunted? And If so will I be able to see if they are shiny or not upon looking at the pokemon like in HGSS or do I have to select the pokemon and look at it's summary?

Last edited:

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
    Years
  • I've been playing Polished Crystal lately and I've been thinking of something while I've been comparing it to the Spaceworld 1997 Gold/Silver prototype.

A debugging build would be very handy for anyone who wishes to explore around the entire game to test out some features, and being able to walk through walls and of course the player bouncing back if hitting into the map boundaries while running, like in the Spaceworld prototype. Not sure if this has been suggested before, but it's an idea that I was thinking about earlier.

Also the Music Player could be turned into a full Sound Test that can also play sound effects, fanfares and also having the stop, pause and fade out functions within the player could also be really handy from a experimenter's point of view.

Back