• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] Pokémon Quartz Resprites / Minor Redesigns

Big Snort

Mope
Years
Howdy everyone! If you saw my introduction post, you probably noticed that I like Pokémon Quartz a lot. The title here pretty much explains everything, I really enjoy the designs in Quartz and wanted to use them to their full potential by giving them new sprites. Along with resprites, some may have minor changes to their design (Example: Reabari's crown being changed to a crown-shaped crest), but I'll still try to keep the design close to the original.

But that's enough rambling for now, let's take a look at some of these!

tumblr_inline_pipuhyJA1a1r7ef8e_1280.png

As mentioned, Reabari has had a bit of a change. Also new is it's tail, which I thought would be a cute feature to have. In it's original sprite it's difficult to tell what exactly is going on behind Reabari, as it's back sprite is so short you can only see it's crown!

tumblr_inline_pipuhyv86W1r7ef8e_1280.png

Hamet is a VERY cute Pokémon, as is the rest of it's evolutionary line. The only disappointing thing is that I thought the names for the line were being made with Shakespeare plays in mind, until Psimouse that is. Hamet -> Hamlet, Ratelo -> Othello...

tumblr_inline_pipuhzsRuW1r7ef8e_1280.png

Freech was an interesting one to work with, but I wanted to push through it anyways for the sole reason that Freech looks like a turkey and I think turkeys are some of the most wonderful birds on Earth :o)

tumblr_inline_pipuhzNy1i1r7ef8e_1280.png

Hooley is Hooley. Actually, I made this one only because someone on tumblr mentioned Hooley in the tags of a different Quartz post of mine. Here's to you, random Hooley fan!

tumblr_inline_pipuhzJjBt1r7ef8e_1280.png

Agoir has a really haunting design that just sort of sticks with you. It's very nice to look at and very eerie, with it's peculiar rectangular irises and face-like markings. Obviously, being an owl and all, you can get some mothman vibes from this one!

tumblr_inline_piq09yoj9f1r7ef8e_1280.png

Fairoot is adorable and that's all there is to it.

tumblr_inline_piq09yYmKz1r7ef8e_1280.png

Flowaby and the rest of it's line have very sweet and kind designs, it makes me feel bad that I basically never choose them in a playthrough (Sorry! I just think that the drooling murder-saurus is cute and fun). The only thing I would like to change later maybe in this resprite is to try and capture the same anxious look from the original sprite. The way it's facing the other direction with bags under it's eyes (actually cute red cheeks if you check the back sprite, shhh) makes it look like it's telling it's trainer that it REALLY doesn't want to be here right now. Poor Flowaby :o(

That's all for the first post, any suggestions for others you'd like to see with new sprites would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time, everyone!

Big Snort

Mope
Years
tumblr_piww92cmu91sipqwpo1_250.png

Time for the rest of the starters! :oD

And more of me trying to put actual words together about how much I love these things even though I have an extremely limited vocabulary that basically results in me saying "They're Cute!" about a million times over 8o(

I was doing these randomly at first, but then I figured it would make more sense to do them in the order of the Corna dex, starting with the eggs we know and love.

Also, a few notes: the shinies for the original sprites may not be accurate as they don't seem to have been ripped by anyone yet, so they're instead recolored by hand. More importantly though, the redesigns for the eggs are based on their designs in the Pokémon Quartz Webcomic by Caren Kirkland! I don't think I can link things just yet, but it should be pretty easy to find online. I highly suggest checking it out, as it's a very nice comic and a pleasant read :o)

First up, the Seegg line!
tumblr_piww92cmu91sipqwpo9_250.png
tumblr_piww92cmu91sipqwpo10_250.png
tumblr_piww92cmu91sipqwpo8_250.png

What a pretty creature! Out of all the original starter sprites, Jardino seems to be the most well-made of the bunch. It might look a bit goofy, but like most of the Quartz designs it has quite a lot of charm to it. Especially Flowaby, who was featured on the previous post but is here again for... some reason that the word for I've completely forgotten. They're both very expressive and sweet looking :oD

tumblr_piww92cmu91sipqwpo7_250.png
tumblr_piww92cmu91sipqwpo6_250.png
tumblr_piww92cmu91sipqwpo5_250.png

Now THIS one I actually have some words put together for! Not too much of a surprise, considering this is my favorite of the starters.

Firegg is so adorable and cartoony! Obviously, that can be said for basically all of the Quartzmons, but Firegg really embodies it with it's goofy smirk and jagged eyebrows (eggbrows?). This is lost a bit unfortunately in my attempt to make slightly more """"professional"""" looking resprite, but what can ya do (besides maybe not try to resprite them)

Embaby is cute of course, maybe not as much as Flowaby, but TYRADINO is a FANTASTIC one. While the starters are stated to be dinosaur-based, Tyradino seems to be the only obviously dinosaur-like of the bunch (unless you look REALLY hard at Jardino, then it could maybe look a little bit like some kind of sauropod). Something odd however is if you compare Tyradino's front sprite to it's back, you'll notice...

tumblr_inline_piwxsnaCwR1r7ef8e_1280.png

... An extra finger! That's not very T. Rex of you, Tyradino. In it's resprite, I tried to give it an appearance closer to the creature it's based on, though in a more cartoony form. Is it possible that I like this line solely based on the fact that it means I can draw funny dinosaurs?

tumblr_piww92cmu91sipqwpo4_250.png
tumblr_piww92cmu91sipqwpo3_250.png
tumblr_piww92cmu91sipqwpo2_250.png

Now I know what you're probably not thinking in the slightest; "Boxhead, you said that Tyradino is the only actual dinosaur of the starters, but what about Oceadino since it's a duck?"

The answer to that is: Not even close! Oceadino is ACTUALLY everyone's favorite MONOTREME, the platypus!

With it's wing-like arms, pointy tail, and the fact that it's referred to as the Dino Duck Pokémon, it'd be tough to guess that Oceadino is anything except a large duck. However, it's pre-evolution Ornaby would bring evidence to a different conclusion: Ornaby is a combination of the words baby and ornitorrinco, Spanish for Platypus! Also of note is the position of Oceadino's nostrils, because in actual ducks the nostrils are closer to the eyes, while in Platypi the nostrils are further down their beaks, just like Oceadino!

And that wraps up our starters! Route 1, here we come :o)

Sunfished

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
You do a phenomanol job with the resprites, and feel very authentic in terms of the bw style!

I think the best aspect of these resprites is how you kept the "character" of the old sprites, especially on those that were rather silly. My favorite of them all is definitely Reabari, and it was gorgeous how you incorporated the crown more naturally into the design!

Back