• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Red Advanced

~Wind~

Detective
    Years
    Overview:​
    Pokémon Red Advanced (working title) is a small hack of FireRed v1.0 with a small goal: bringing the aesthetics of Kanto in FireRed closer to those in RBY. Having gotten copies of Yellow and LeafGreen around the same time as a child, I always wondered about the fact Kanto had gone from grassland to forested in the remakes, and for a long time have wished to make a small edit to restore Kanto to its original state. So to get some practice with hacking, I set out to achieve just that in this hack.

Features:​
    • Kanto is returned to its grassland state from generations I and II.
    • Towns, routes and a few locations have been slightly remapped to be a closer match to RBY, such as restoring the mountains of Pewter City and flower fields of Cerulean.
    • Tilesets have been edited to bring a number of buildings and landmarks closer to their generation I appearance.
    • Wild Pokémon have been adjusted in some locations to be in line with the original games, such as the Cinnabar Mansion.

Screenshots:​

Pokémon Red Advanced
    Pokémon Red Advanced
    Pokémon Red Advanced
    Pokémon Red Advanced
    Pokémon Red Advanced
    Pokémon Red Advanced
    Pokémon Red Advanced
    Pokémon Red Advanced
    Pokémon Red Advanced
    Pokémon Red Advanced
    Pokémon Red Advanced
    Pokémon Red Advanced

Downloads:

View attachment Pokemon - Red Advanced Version v1.0.ips

Future Plans:
    While I have the hack in a place I am happy with for now, if I return to this hack, possible changes in the future could include;
    • Changes to the tilesets for the Pokémon Center, Pokémart and Gyms to more resemble their original, bricky selves
    • Edits to the sprites of the player and possibly other characters to match their original designs.
    • An option to enable the original RBY and possibly GSC soundtrack.
    • Possible further map edits to more exact matches for RBY.
    • Possibly replacing Pokémon sprites with updated versions of their Gen I poses.
    • Bringing the game to Catch 'Em All standard by making at least all 151 Kanto Pokémon available.
    • Any other suggestions which match the scope and nature of the project.
    Pokémon Red Advanced

If you play through this hack, let me know your thoughts, any bugs you find, and suggestions for additions!
    Thank you for playing!

Gelius3

Certified Idiotic Potato
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    Overview:​
    Pokémon Red Advanced (working title) is a small hack of FireRed v1.0 with a small goal: bringing the aesthetics of Kanto in FireRed closer to those in RBY. Having gotten copies of Yellow and LeafGreen around the same time as a child, I always wondered about the fact Kanto had gone from grassland to forested in the remakes, and for a long time have wished to make a small edit to restore Kanto to its original state. So to get some practice with hacking, I set out to achieve just that in this hack.

Features:​
    • Kanto is returned to its grassland state from generations I and II.
    • Towns, routes and a few locations have been slightly remapped to be a closer match to RBY, such as restoring the mountains of Pewter City and flower fields of Cerulean.
    • Tilesets have been edited to bring a number of buildings and landmarks closer to their generation I appearance.
    • Wild Pokémon have been adjusted in some locations to be in line with the original games, such as the Cinnabar Mansion.

Screenshots:​

Pokémon Red Advanced
    Pokémon Red Advanced
    Pokémon Red Advanced
    Pokémon Red Advanced
    Pokémon Red Advanced
    Pokémon Red Advanced
    Pokémon Red Advanced
    Pokémon Red Advanced
    Pokémon Red Advanced
    Pokémon Red Advanced
    Pokémon Red Advanced
    Pokémon Red Advanced

Downloads:

View attachment 93106

Future Plans:
    While I have the hack in a place I am happy with for now, if I return to this hack, possible changes in the future could include;
    • Changes to the tilesets for the Pokémon Center, Pokémart and Gyms to more resemble their original, bricky selves
    • Edits to the sprites of the player and possibly other characters to match their original designs.
    • An option to enable the original RBY and possibly GSC soundtrack.
    • Possible further map edits to more exact matches for RBY.
    • Possibly replacing Pokémon sprites with updated versions of their Gen I poses.
    • Bringing the game to Catch 'Em All standard by making at least all 151 Kanto Pokémon available.
    • Any other suggestions which match the scope and nature of the project.
    Pokémon Red Advanced

If you play through this hack, let me know your thoughts, any bugs you find, and suggestions for additions!
    Thank you for playing!

Okay, hey, this is quite the interesting and cool project, but i have a few questions!
    1. Is the Sevii Islands still in the game? I know most don't like em, but i personally enjoy them, and i feel like it would have such a nice contrast with the Kanto you aim to achieve. Furthermore, it is where you get Johto Pokemon in Fire Red and Leaf Green. So if you plan to introduce Gen 2 Pokemon, then maybe consider editing the Sevii Islands so mostly Johto Pokemon appear in them. Who knows, you could achieve interesting things here. After all, you do have to at least go to islands 1-3 in the FRLG games.
    2. Do you perhaps plan to edit movesets to maybe match Gen 1 Learnsets? If so, what will happen with the Gen 2 and 3 Moves Pokemon would get?
    3. Do you perhaps plan to edit team rosters to match Gen 1? If so, a big one is changing Giovanni's Ace Rhyhorn back to Rhydon. Or do you intend to use Pokemon Yellow Rosters? If so, you gotta look out for certain trainers, and edit a few gym leaders.
    4. Do you plan to change type matchups to closer match Gen 1? If so, while i don't mean Psychic being immune to Ghost, maybe try Bug being super effective against Poison, Poison being super effective against Bug, and Fire taking neutral damage from Ice (Actual Type Matchups from gen 1).
    5. Do you plan to edit text to perhaps recover lost translation things from the original japanese releases?
    6. Do you plan to even include Gen 3 mons at all? (Asides from Wynaut and Azurill, for obvious reasons)
    7. Do you plan to take inspirations in rosters from Let's Go, such as Agatha having Weezing, Bruno having Poliwrath, Lance having Seadra and Charizard, and some other examples for other trainers?
    8. Do you plan to move Moltres back to Victory Road, or keep it in Mt. Ember?
    9. What are your plans with Mew? Faraway Island?
    10. Do you plan on maybe expanding on a few other areas?
    11. Do you plan to perhaps change some tiles to replicate more that retro feel?
    12. Do you plan to add the unused Professor Oak Boss Battle?
    13. Do you plan to add Red/Leaf as a third rival? Less likely but still.
    14. Do you plan to add unused Rosters from Gen 1? You should take a look at these, there could be some things you could do.
    And lastly.
    15. Will we be able to run indoors?

~Wind~

Detective
    Years
    Okay, hey, this is quite the interesting and cool project, but i have a few questions!
    1. Is the Sevii Islands still in the game? I know most don't like em, but i personally enjoy them, and i feel like it would have such a nice contrast with the Kanto you aim to achieve. Furthermore, it is where you get Johto Pokemon in Fire Red and Leaf Green. So if you plan to introduce Gen 2 Pokemon, then maybe consider editing the Sevii Islands so mostly Johto Pokemon appear in them. Who knows, you could achieve interesting things here. After all, you do have to at least go to islands 1-3 in the FRLG games.
    2. Do you perhaps plan to edit movesets to maybe match Gen 1 Learnsets? If so, what will happen with the Gen 2 and 3 Moves Pokemon would get?
    3. Do you perhaps plan to edit team rosters to match Gen 1? If so, a big one is changing Giovanni's Ace Rhyhorn back to Rhydon. Or do you intend to use Pokemon Yellow Rosters? If so, you gotta look out for certain trainers, and edit a few gym leaders.
    4. Do you plan to change type matchups to closer match Gen 1? If so, while i don't mean Psychic being immune to Ghost, maybe try Bug being super effective against Poison, Poison being super effective against Bug, and Fire taking neutral damage from Ice (Actual Type Matchups from gen 1).
    5. Do you plan to edit text to perhaps recover lost translation things from the original japanese releases?
    6. Do you plan to even include Gen 3 mons at all? (Asides from Wynaut and Azurill, for obvious reasons)
    7. Do you plan to take inspirations in rosters from Let's Go, such as Agatha having Weezing, Bruno having Poliwrath, Lance having Seadra and Charizard, and some other examples for other trainers?
    8. Do you plan to move Moltres back to Victory Road, or keep it in Mt. Ember?
    9. What are your plans with Mew? Faraway Island?
    10. Do you plan on maybe expanding on a few other areas?
    11. Do you plan to perhaps change some tiles to replicate more that retro feel?
    12. Do you plan to add the unused Professor Oak Boss Battle?
    13. Do you plan to add Red/Leaf as a third rival? Less likely but still.
    14. Do you plan to add unused Rosters from Gen 1? You should take a look at these, there could be some things you could do.
    And lastly.
    15. Will we be able to run indoors?

1. They are, and I'll be trying to leave their aesthetic intact to achieve a contrast much like you said.
    2. Movesets will remain the same, and may even be updated to reflect later gens - overall no gameplay improvements should be removed, only aesthetic changes.
    3. Rosters will likely be changed back to match RBY, except in cases where the changes led to great gameplay improvement.
    4. I don't intend to but it could be interesting, perhaps as an optional patch.
    5. Very possibly, yes.
    6. They won't be removed from the game but won't be readily available - at least not in Kanto. Perhaps in Sevii.
    7. I won't match the rosters one-to-one but if I think the roster change is a big improvement I may imitate it.
    8. I 100% plan to add it back to Victory Road - in its own small area, taking inspiration from Let's Go.
    9. I have a stretch goal to make Mew and/or Faraway Island attainable through an event chain that references the old Mew Glitch from RBY.
    10. Possibly, if it makes sense.
    11. ^
    12. ^
    13. Not likely, unless I later decide to take some inspiration from Let's Go.
    14. Possibly, if they seem to be a good addition.
    15. If possible, yes.

Gelius3

Certified Idiotic Potato
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    1. They are, and I'll be trying to leave their aesthetic intact to achieve a contrast much like you said.
    2. Movesets will remain the same, and may even be updated to reflect later gens - overall no gameplay improvements should be removed, only aesthetic changes.
    3. Rosters will likely be changed back to match RBY, except in cases where the changes led to great gameplay improvement.
    4. I don't intend to but it could be interesting, perhaps as an optional patch.
    5. Very possibly, yes.
    6. They won't be removed from the game but won't be readily available - at least not in Kanto. Perhaps in Sevii.
    7. I won't match the rosters one-to-one but if I think the roster change is a big improvement I may imitate it.
    8. I 100% plan to add it back to Victory Road - in its own small area, taking inspiration from Let's Go.
    9. I have a stretch goal to make Mew and/or Faraway Island attainable through an event chain that references the old Mew Glitch from RBY.
    10. Possibly, if it makes sense.
    11. ^
    12. ^
    13. Not likely, unless I later decide to take some inspiration from Let's Go.
    14. Possibly, if they seem to be a good addition.
    15. If possible, yes.

Interesting indeed. I would like to assist in balancing (and a few other tasks) if possible. My hacking skills are not as big, but planning and balancing is things I've done. If it's much issue, would you mind if i just give an extra pair of hands (Be it researching possible differences, planning things out, balancing trainers for an overall better experience, laying out the Wild Pokemon, etc etc). I have had some skills with documentation, and i could save you some time, if wanted. Do you have a Discord where you can be contacted?

Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Dec 24, 2023
    a hack to keep an eye on it .....a simple but very good hack

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    Pallot town and other locations being surrounded by trees had a claustrophobic feel to it so this hack sounds like a good idea to me - that and restoring Kanto to its original state. Maybe you could add screenshots comparing your hack to Red and FireRed so people on here can appreciate the changes 😀

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    If you want a real 'red version feel', maybe implement the original missingno?

There was a small FR mod that accomplished this, and I don't mean just a sprite change or base stat mod. He managed to get the old man event to trigger it by surfing up and down the cinnabar coast.

And since the level cap has been modded to go as high as 255 in FR, it would be possible in this hack as well.

Anyway, that's just my two cents.

Back