• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Red/Blue - Gen. II Graphics And Music Patch V2.0 [FINAL VERSION RELEASED]

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
I just uploaded Version 2.0!

The Graphics patch is pretty much the same but the GFX&Music patch now uses the entire Crystal music engine and all Crystal music for Kanto!

I also added a download for Blue Version.

Check out the download in the first post and leave your feedback!

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
I just want to let everyone know that this will likely be the final version (unless some awful bug is discovered), so I won't have anything more to post in this thread. I will always still be around on the forums, however. So don't be afraid to bump if you have a question. I will get back to you. Thanks for you time, and enjoy the game!

ItWasABadDream

Genwunner / born 1989
Years
I've been using this rom hack as a base rom on randomizers and it is awesome. Fully compatible with a randomizer and makes playing through Kanto with a randomizer much more aesthetically enjoyable. I will probably use this as a replacement for every time I return to an original Gen 1 game that isn't a ROM hack now since it's entirely the same game. Thanks for making Red look better.

My first randomizer of this game included changing the starting Pokémon to Electabuzz, Dugtrio, and Lapras. It's going very well so far!

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Cool, I'm glad you like it!
Yeah I did my best to keep all the code and data that I didn't edit at the same address in the rom. This way, the hack stays compatible with most tools.
The graphics-only version of this hack should be really safe to use with tools.
The music hack version is probably less stable with tools because the whole original music engine was ripped out and a new one was put in its place, so the addresses of a lot more things have probably been shifted.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Make it finnaly in full colours.

Asked and answered. Please read the thread before asking obvious questions.

Drenn has been too busy to work on implementing the newer Graphics Patch features into his Full GBC hack, so I took the time to do it myself.
My source code for the Full GBC hack is here.

His hack's thread now has been updated with the Full GBC hack that has all the features all the way up to V1.5 of the Graphics patch.

Although, one cool difference is that the experience bar is now blue since the GBC game can handle more palettes.

Pokemon Red Full Color Hack Thread

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2017
I must confess I am an idiot (and have windows 7) because I don't know how to recompile from a source code...

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
If you're just looking to play the hacks, no need to compile the source code yourself. Downloads are in the first post.

If you're making changes to the source code and want to compile, this can be a lot of help:
INSTALL.md
If you still have questions, join our irc and ask us.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2017
Well I wanted to try the fully colored version.. for which you provided a link to the source code...

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Right. And I also linked to the hack's thread, where you can find the download link.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Correct. Drenn's full color hack is the full color equivalent of V1.5 of this hack (no crystal audio engine). I may try to catch the full color hack up to V2.0 in the next couple weeks.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Yes. I will give it a shot. But honestly, I can't promise it will even be successful. The full color hack is very... unstable. It's easy to break it and introduce game crashing bugs, because so much of the original engine has been scrapped and remade from scratch to allow full gbc functionality. Ripping out even more of the engine and stitching in the crystal audio engine might be a lot harder than it was for plain Pokemon Red.

Years
Yes. I will give it a shot. But honestly, I can't promise it will even be successful. The full color hack is very... unstable. It's easy to break it and introduce game crashing bugs, because so much of the original engine has been scrapped and remade from scratch to allow full gbc functionality. Ripping out even more of the engine and stitching in the crystal audio engine might be a lot harder than it was for plain Pokemon Red.
Okay, i hope you will be able to, i really want to play with the sounds and colors together

TorNyan

Hacker
Years
Amazing hack.
Is there anything like this for Pokémon Yellow, or perhaps a Pokémon Yellow remade in G/S/C?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 15, 2016
for some reason, there is no color when I apply it to either a Red or Blue rom.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Hi, Packer!

This is almost certainly due to the emulator you are using. The original Pokemon Red game is a Super Gameboy Game. Many emulators work perfectly for original Gameboy Games and for Gameboy Color Games, but fail to emulate the extra features of a Super Gameboy Game. If you are using a mobile emulator, you are out of luck. I am not aware of any mobile emulator that handles the SGB features. If you are using VBA, you can go to Options->Gameboy->SGB to play my hack in full color. If you are not using VBA, you can either download VBA or I actually recommend downloading BGB instead. It is a powerful emulator with accurate SGB emulation. Good luck! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Also, just yesterday I updated the first post with all new image links, since the old ones were starting to die. There are no big announcements for this hack because it is finished and I am not working on it anymore, but I am still around the forums and I definitely want new members to be able to come across this hack, because I think any fan of Gen I will really enjoy this!

~Danny-E 33

Back