• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon S&M

Years
    Yes, you read the title properly, and that's how it's going to be abbreviated if you don't at least hear me out on this ohohohoho!

I just had a thought about Pokémon Versions Moon and Sun. Is it just me or does it bother you that Pokémon Sun is placed out of alphabetical order? I Mean, I like to think I've always placed them alphabetically (besides the 'third' version, which is a separate game).

Pokémon Versions Blue and Red (Yellow fits here nicely), Gold and Silver, Ruby Sapphire (don't know why they got weird on the remakes with the Greek annotations), Diamond and Pearl, Heart Gold and Soul Silver (Fits nice and neat again, they should have chosen another adjective for Gold Version though), Pokémon Black and White, and Pokémon X and Y. How many of these did you refer differently? For example, did you say "Pokémon Silver and Gold?" or Pokémon Pearl and Diamond? I know saying Moon and then Sun seems obtuse but for OCDs everywhere and for your own sake, save Pokémon from BDSM! That's uh... Pokémon Versions Black, Diamond, Silver and Moon if anyone asks...

There was going to be a pole, but I messed up. Sorry.

Last edited:

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    So this thread is an exact recreation of the concerns in this thread, and honestly, the concern is completely not really that big of a deal.

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=378317

The only people who think the placement of Sun and Moon's abbreviation is dirty or wrong are the people who are dirty minded themselves. If anything, the existence of Sun and Moon's abbreviation as S/M is doing this abbreviation justice because it is essentially replacing the original meaning of what the abbreviation S/M was originally used for.

Children mostly don't care about what the abbreviation stood for previously, they only care about what it stands for now, which is their favorite new game within the franchise.
    Making a big deal about what the abbreviation is supposed to mean is doing more harm than help, complaining about it so often is cementing in children's minds the idea that the abbreviation is wrong and should be shunned which in turn is forcing a young innocent mind to be curious as to why that is which will make them want to research why it is that way which will then lead those children to researching what you were so desperately trying to protect them from.

The real way to handle this is to treat it like there is nothing wrong so that children may keep that sense of innocence and not find a need to research why there should be so much concern over something that only an adult can truly understand.

Other than all of that, I personally have been quite comfortable just calling the games, Su/Mo. That abbreviation rolls of the tongue easier, gets the idea across of what everyone is talking about, and keeps the overall atmosphere of the games as clean as possible.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    Sun and Moon is a term that's used in society outside of Pokemon anyway. Maybe Sun is first because we see it more than the Moon? Not really sure. But it's just one of those phrases that has an order for some reason. "Moon and Sun" is as awkward sounding as "Jelly and Peanut Butter."

Plus, nobody puts & in between the names (nobody said Pokemon B&W) unless they're talking about these concerns (ironically), so there's no reason for these thoughts in the first place.

Years
    Jesus. Shots fired, duck and cover. Man, crack a few jokes and people go more than a little ballistic. Call it strange, but I'm one that prefers things in alphabetically order and was genuinely curious as to why people don't prefer alphabetical order when it comes to certain things.

Do you file them out of order on your game shelf? Do you stick Pokémon Blue Version next to Pokémon Gold Version? Or do you stick them together in chronological order? Only one of you actually answered the initial question ohoho!

I also at the 'grow up' comment. I do. I say blue and red. Partly because I owned Pokémon Blue Version before Red Version. From a purely technical standpoint I wouldn't need to justify myself to any public library. I like my things in order, thank you.

I also wasn't saying that my main reason why I dislike the placement order of Pokémon Moon and Sun solely because of S&M, but because of the (my) need for everything to be ordered alphanumerically.

One thing I'm a bit confused on here. The ampersand is the most common symbol associated with and. Would you prefer if I wrote down Pokémon Black and White? Or are you specifically stating 'B' and 'W'?

Last thing, don't tell Yello to go saying Sun before moon. It'd wreck the song.

Either way, I think you all saw red and went for the kill. *shrug* So it was a poor joke, ah well. Sue me.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I wasn't trying to attack you in any way. When I read your comment:

I know saying Moon and then Sun seems obtuse but for OCDs everywhere and for your own sake, save Pokémon from BDSM!

I interpreted it as your personal concern that Sun and Moon was going to be mistaken everywhere for the adult abbreviation that was brought up as a concern in a previous thread. I totally understand your joke with it being Black, Diamond, Sun, and Moon, but I was just laying to rest the idea that the concern for the adult abbreviation is one that is not a big deal. If that was not really a point you were trying to make, then I'm sorry I misunderstood you, I just thought that was one of the main points you were making as to why the games should be called M/S instead of S/M.

If your only real concern was due to Alphanumerical order, then it's as @Colours has already mentioned above. The games have been marketed to us as Sun/Moon, so that's how people are choosing to refer to it, and on top of that it really does sound more clean and proper when it is said aloud as Sun first and then Moon second.
    By all means, call it Moon and Sun if you so choose to, it's really whatever floats your boat, but don't get bothered if all the people around you call it Sun and Moon instead of your preferred way because, that is how the titles of the game have been marketed to us and thus that's how most people are going to refer to it automatically when ever they are mentioning these two particular games in the franchise.

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    Most people call them R and B, right?

That didn't replace the R&B genre, though!

M&S is a shop name for many people! It's a destraction. Any abbreviation of these letters can be weird!

Back