• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Shuffle

destinedjagold

I do not exist.
    Years
    • Seen today
    https://serebii.net/shuffle/

Has anyone else downloaded and played this new PKMN sidegame for the 3DS? It's free to download in the eShop, and honestly, at first I find this game not fun, but I decided to download and try it out anyway (because it was free) and damn is this game fun. ^^ I at least now have found a new game for my 3DS to play if I ever get bored of breeding in Omega Ruby. :3

The only thing that annoys me about this game is that only two or three seconds, the game will 'help' me what tiles to swap. I don't think there's an option to disable it though. Aw well~

Also, as of writing this, to celebrate the release of PKMN Shuffle, there's an event for us to capture Mew. I already caught her with a Great Ball. ^^

So yeah. What do you guys think about this game? Is it fun?

pkmin3033

I downloaded this onto my regular 3DS, because Link Battle is on my XL and my mother hates playing that (it's too big for her to hold comfortably, or so she claims...I never had a problem with it) but she loves this type of puzzle game. I had a go on it, and...eh, I'll stick to Link Battle. It's nice that it's free, but I have an inherent bias against games that have microtransactions in them.

Years
    I actually find Shuffle really adorable-looking... definitely prettier than Trozei by a long shot haha. Am very patient so waiting for lives doesn't bother me and 30 minutes per is hardly as bad as the mobile games I'm used to (four hours per single life recovery ugh wat.)

Granted I've only played through five maps so far but we'll see. How far have others gotten? And how's the game later on for players who don't have plans to buy gems?

Years
    This looks like one of those "match three" games that we've seen so many of, like Bejeweled, and last month's PGM event. Sounds fun enough, I might look into it if I want a more separated Pokémon spinoff title. I haven't gotten it yet, but I think it's worth checking out at some point or another.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
    I'm loving it so far. The match thing is based on Trozei right? A lot of people are quick to accuse it of being a Candy Crush clone. I've always challenged myself to play freemium games without spending money, and seems Shuffle won't be unfair. Sure it has some things like wait and in-game purchases, but as long as the currency can be obtained in the game, I'll happily accept the challenge. It's pretty fun and professional compared to most mobile games.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
    I freakin' love this game. Played for 1.5h and caught everything but Pichu so far. I even tried for Mew once, had an 8% chance, wiggled twice and jumped out. Used a Great Ball to boost the chance to 28% and caught it ☺

This game's so adorable. I figured it'd be micro-transactions, but I don't think it really matters; they're pretty good at making sure you get enough jewels (so far) and there's a timer that gives you more battle occasions, so that's good.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2021
    I flat out refuse to play or support this game at all because it uses the exact same principles that Candy Crush and all of its clones use to rake in money - Free to play, Microtransactions and being a simple, addictive puzzle game.
    Being FtP and being a simple, addictive puzzle game are not bad things at all by themselves. It is when you add microtransactions to the mix that they become problematic. Being FtP is done to get players into the game. Then the simple and addictive part is what keeps players interested in the game for long enough to get into the later levels. From what I've seen and heard; there will always be a set of lategame levels that are near impossible to clear without making the microtransactions and yes, there are people who fall for that trap and make said microtransactions (this proportion might be small, like 3% or something, but it is enough to get the companies huge amounts of money). Maybe this doesn't apply to Pokemon Shuffle and I am wrong, but the presence of microtransactions in these types of games mean it is normally the case.

I would also like to remind you all is that this game is not made by Nintendo or Gamefreak themselves, but rather by a third party. This means that Nintendo or Gamefreak themselves doesn't necessarily support microtransactions as what this game makes it look like, so we can breathe easy for now.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
    I think it's a matter of keeping your credit card to yourself (so kids can't use it for microtransactions - remember what happened in MapleStory? lol) and having some self-control. It's a game. I recognize some people can't help it, that they're addicted and probably should never gamble if a Pokémon game is putting them out money via micro-transactions, but it's still a game. A screw is loose somewhere if you're spending hundreds of dollars on F2P.

I played an online Korean MMO where it takes over a year to level on character, let alone get equips that drop at 0.01% on unbelievable mobs. I spent 2$ to buy a cute chick hat for aesthetic reasons. That's it lol That headgear couldn't be acquired by any other means. In F2P w/ m-transactions, it's a matter of being too impatient to acquire the same things available in-game by means not connected to your wallet.

That said, Pokémon Shuffle is reminiscent of Pokémon Puzzle League, and they give you so many chances in-game to acquire everything you could ever possibly need that the micro-transactions are for those who honestly are awfullll at the game (which is really hard to be; it's so simple and nowhere near the challenge of PPL), are foolish purposefully or are impatient.

Y'all should at least try it. I'm on Level 15 or so and have lots of Hearts and jewels (to get more Hearts; they're acquirable in-game), lots of P and have not spent one dollar ☺ I don't plan to either. Doesn't even look like I'll have to with how easy-going the game is so far.

Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2015
    I totally understand why people don't want to play the game because it has though annoying micro transactions in it, but after playing so many of those kinds of game on my phone and ipad already it doesn't really bother me. I never spend money on those kinds of games, so its not really a probably for me, I find that mostly pointless to do.

Besides that, the game has been pretty fun so far, though the low catch rate for some of the Pokémon has been annoying, but still the game itself is enjoyable, though same kind of style as a lot of phone games so low on the unique factor.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I would also like to remind you all is that this game is not made by Nintendo or Gamefreak themselves, but rather by a third party. This means that Nintendo or Gamefreak themselves doesn't necessarily support microtransactions as what this game makes it look like, so we can breathe easy for now.
    True, this is made by Genius Sonority. However I'd think that Nintendo would still have to give some sort of approval for that sort of game to be on their consoles, Pokemon or not, and the Pokemon Company would have pitched it to them.

It being made by GS is why I'm interested in trying it out sometime (just not now when I have MH4U, haha). They have Tawada on as composer, the same guy who made the music in other GS games (Colosseum, XD, PBR, Trozei...) I like his music and also am interested to see if he reuses anything from other tunes, something he does often. I checked what was on youtube and already recognised something, haha.

It looks cute enough, and I'm a sucker for Pokemon games. That said, I won't be paying a cent for gems or whatever it is they use as currency for the game.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    Hm...after spending over $3000 on Team Fortress 2, and raging at Plants vs Zombies 2 for it's absurd playstyle, I am extremely wary of F2P games...but I might get it eventually anyway because nothing wrong with free games...especially if there's ways to get money to buy items ingame

Years
    Well.. I can honestly say that I'm addicted. xD;; It's an adorable little game that's so hard to put down and I'm pretty bummed that lives cap at 5 unless you use gems to buy more. But eh, what do you expect. :( I tend to check it every two hours or so to use the lives I recover. Right now I'm on stage 27 but still have a few from before to S rank. Ugh.

Caught Mew at a 30% success rate! Awesomepossum.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
    I love F2P games as long as all currency is available in-game, and Shuffle seems to provide just that. I've had good success with it so far, and had to resort to buying great balls (again, with in-game currency) only a few times. Already at stage 44, with the policy of refusing to proceed until I catch every Pokemon on the way. It's been a long time since I played Trozei, and I never played Candy Crush, so can anyone familiar with both confirm what Shuffle takes from most? I'd like to think it's original enough to be based on one of their own games.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
    I guess I'm the most addicted to this game over here at PC huh? I'm already at stage 90 and about to challenge Mega-Mawile, but dang the stage, it's frustratingly hard.

I've caught all the Pokemon available up 'til that point aside from Dedenne, Slurpuff, Sceptile and today's Heat Rotom. Yes, I've caught all the Expert Stage Pokemon I've unlocked aside from Sceptile.

At this point I'm just replaying stages to earn coins to get those power ups. I can do the secondary goal of getting everything to S rank while I'm at it.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I hate Genius Sonority and I'm not gonna play this. Ever.
    Why do you hate GS...? Is it because of the idea of microtransactions or something else?

I gave this a quick try, only did the first five stages. Did seem cute and simple enough, and decently explained. I imagine there's more to learn about gameplay with something about mega evolution and other abilities for Pokemon to have as well.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I enjoy this game myself. I currently possess the mega stones for Audino, Kangaskhan, and Sableye. I've also got my hands on Rotom Frost, Heat, and Wash.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
    Why do you hate GS...? Is it because of the idea of microtransactions or something else?

I hate them because Pokémon Colosseum (2003), Gale of Darkness (2005) and Battle Revolution (2007) are the worst things I've ever played in my life. Any of these are far from the concept that Game Freak uses in an actual Pokémon game. They are all also short, uninteresting, and poorly programmed.

And now they come with a "free" game with micro-transactions... It's a no-go for me, even without these.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
    I hate them because Pokémon Colosseum (2003), Gale of Darkness (2005) and Battle Revolution (2007) are the worst things I've ever played in my life. Any of these are far from the concept that Game Freak uses in an actual Pokémon game. They are all also short, uninteresting, and poorly programmed.

And now they come with a "free" game with micro-transactions... It's a no-go for me, even without these.

I can see how the Colosseum line is different, but Battle Revolution? Wasn't that just a simple Stadium-like game?

Back