• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Pokémon Sun and Moon Starter final evolutions revealed + Island Guardians

Years
  • whoa did not expect the grass starter to be grass/ghost but glad can't wait to get it! still not a huge fan of of the fire one but it does have a very nice cry and does look a bit better in game and glad it's fire/dark rather than fighting but probably won't use it. water starter looks very nice and I look forward to getting one in my second playthrough or maybe if I can get one through trade...idk yet.

the league thing looks really fun, red and blue look odd though, just from a they're older perspective.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    The fact that Decidueye(sp?) is Grass/Ghost is really relieving, since it'll no longer be hampered by a common 4x weakness, unlike Torterra. It still has an Ice weakness though, so I'm hoping it'll be able to at least learn Steel Wing.

Also:
    Tapu Lele scatters glowing scales that physically affect others—providing stimulation to their bodies and healing their illnesses or injuries. But these scales can be dangerous as well, because a body can't withstand the changes brought about by contact with too many scales at the same time. It will scatter its scales over humans and Pokémon for its own enjoyment; while it is innocent in one sense, there is also cruelty in the way it casually brings others to ruin.
    More mischievous fairies, just like in folklore! That's good, it shows Gamefreak isn't portraying Fairy-types as inherently good. We've seen a similar portrayal with Mawile's behaviour and origins.

Years
  • People think Primarina has the worst signature move of the starters, but as mentioned above it does have a possible use against Pokemon with Flame Orbs who are trying to abuse abilities like Guts or Quick Feet.

Years
  • I hope Decidueye isn't too hard to pronounce because I'll undoubtedly be saying it a lot as one of my new favourite pokémon. It's nice to have the Sugimori art for it too, of course having previously seen the 3D model in the data mine.

A closer look at the guardians confirms what I already thought which is that they're all a bit disappointing aside from Koko.

Red & Blue (the characters) returning is cool, I did have a think when watching Generations that they could soon make a sequel to Red & Blue (the games) and perhaps this is starting to help somewhat with my confirmation bias.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • *jaw drops* That was an incredible trailer, and I'm not talking about the final evolution forms and the other three guardians. No, I'm talking about the return of Red and Blue (Green in Japan), and they're all grown-up.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I LOVE Incineroar!!! Easily the best Alola starter! And my wish of it becoming Fire/Dark became reality! Its signature move, Darkest Lariat, sounds very promising. Let's hope it gets a high base power and decently high PP!

Decidueye is pretty cool, although I think its name could've been better, and I expected it to stay Grass/Flying.

Primarina is gorgeous, and the redemption that Popplio needed. But its signature move... I don't know...

About the Alola guardians... I think Tapu Lele and Tapu Fini are adorable, Tapu Bulu looks funny, and Tapu Koko is cool. Maybe I'll use one of them, but I won't guarantee it.

Cosmog... It's pretty cute, although I don't think it was in the datamine. Maybe there's hope for evolutions for Komala and co after all.

Alola Persian... The abilities are really good. Let's hope it gets a good stat spread to prevent it from being a poor man's Weavile.

And the Battle Tree... You can battle or team up with characters from previous games? Nice!

Years
  • I hope Decidueye isn't too hard to pronounce because I'll undoubtedly be saying it a lot as one of my new favourite pokémon. It's nice to have the Sugimori art for it too, of course having previously seen the 3D model in the data mine.

Decidueye's name comes from deciduous, a tree that loses its leaves in certain seasons.

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2021
    I know that the whole dex has leaked, but with Decidueye switching to ghost type, all starter final evolutions have a type associated with the night (or in other words, the moon). Split evo conspiracy theories, go!

Primarina's signature move seems odd, but I'm thinking it may be the burn version of smelling salts or wake up slap, healing the burn but doing extra damage.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I was totally not expecting Rowlet's final evo to be Grass/Ghost, that was a nice surprise! I'm definitely liking these designs a lot more after seeing their in-game models.

Years
  • Grass/ghost? Water/fairy?! I am extremely in love with these type combos. Fire/dark is pretty neat also even if Incineroar's design gives off a huge fighting vibe. haha but I love 'em soooo much. This is quickly becoming my new favorite gen. Can't wait to have my baby Primarina on my team!

AmetsuCAT

KITTY POWER!!
    Years
    • Age 24
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 6, 2023
    Grass/Ghost I was not expecting, but it's definitely a good surprise. Decidueye for me is competing with Grovyle for the coolest grass starter, and I think Decidueye is winning. As for Incineroar...OMG ITS A DARK TYPE! YAAY! I cannot express my happiness in words, but believe me I'm happy. And it's in game sprite is awesome and full of swag :P I wasn't always a fan of Primarina, but I far from hate it. It's probably going to end up on one of my teams anyway.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • YEEEES! We have official confirmation now ^^ I WANT TO USE PRIMARINA RIGHT NOW >.<
    Aaaaaand Alola Persian was real after all :/
    The Tapus were nice, but I only care for Tapu Koko '-' The others are kind of meh to me.
    THAT.ENDING.

Bay

Years
  • Primarina all the way. <3 The other two final evolutions are pretty neat, though. I like all their models in the trailer, so much expression from each one.

Cosmog I'm not too excited, but I might warm up to it later. The rest of the Tapus look awesome, though I think Tapu Koko and Tapu Fini are my favorites in terms of design and typing.

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2017
    A lot of people hate Primarina's feminity, but I think it's cool and I'm going to get a male one specifically :)
    Speaking of Primarina water/fairy typing is great for a bulky water type but we also got a island guardian with the same typing so I hope it doesn't get outclassed by it.

Years
  • So, Decidueye is grass/dark type, huh? I knew I made right choice. Now, my team is finally complete. Excellent. Anyways, Incineroar looks awesome, though it kinda remind me of Vitaly from Madagascar 3 or Tony the Tiger, idk. And, as for Primarina...

She's beautiful, that's all I say. *walks away*

Last edited:
    Years
  • The new Tapu mons are all so much better than the first one they showed us. Why didn't they showcase one of these instead?

Decidueye (ugh, awful name, can't we just called it Snarrowl or Scarrowl or something?) is more appealing now that it's a Grass/Ghost-type. Even El Tigre looks a little better from the trailer.

Back