• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon the Lost World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
  • *sigh* I was responding to Blazers who insinuated that the game could be completed by tomorrow...

Back on topic: How is everything going with the project CA?

Waudby

To be very honest, a release date is all down to how quickly the whole team gets their respective parts done. I believe that Rhuan could see his scripting stuff done within a few months as he is quite the proficient scripter. Now the maps and the other graphic side of things are what will hold the project up.

I could honestly see a release possibility before the end of the year if the team works very hard, however taking into consideration people have lives to lead in between this, this time next year is quite a good guess - but then again the summer will be here soon and work could go much quicker then.

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Also, the music department isn't the fastest thing on earth.

I have a lot of music to do, which as I stated before, can take hours upon hours.

If anything, the music is probably the largest portion of the entire project, both in the workload, as well as actual physical size of the game.

~Mooshykris

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
    Years
  • Also, the music department isn't the fastest thing on earth.

I have a lot of music to do, which as I stated before, can take hours upon hours.

If anything, the music is probably the largest portion of the entire project, both in the workload, as well as actual physical size of the game.

~Mooshykris

Amen to that. Even with really good hardware and software, you still have to be ridiculously good.

Do you have help?

Waudby

Forgive me if i meisread something somewhere, but is there an early demo or something i can play?

Nope there is no demo or walkaround version at all yet.

And i think it's gonna stay that way until the final release, if I'm not mistaken.

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Amen to that. Even with really good hardware and software, you still have to be ridiculously good.

Do you have help?

I have what I need.

As for help, I'm doing the music alone, it's too much of a hassle with more than one person doing the music.

My hardware and software could use an upgrade though :P

~Mooshykris

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    I have what I need.

As for help, I'm doing the music alone, it's too much of a hassle with more than one person doing the music.

My hardware and software could use an upgrade though :P

~Mooshykris

So what program are you using

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    So what program are you using

For my sequencer, I use a trial copy of FL Studio 6. I use Ambiance Reverb Engine for my reverberation. I use Audacity for the final mixing.

But most importantly, my sample libraries, I currently use:

Garritan Personal Orchestra
    FlameStudios Guitar Collections 1 & 2
    Westgate Studios Acoustic Guitars
    Magnus Choir
    Soundbrewer Autoharp
    Soundbrewer Tin Whistle
    Soundbrewer Casio Keyboard

As a little bonus, a preview of libraries to maybe look forward to hearing in the soundtrack one day:
    Garritan Jazz & Big Band
    Garritan Concert & Marching Band
    Garritan World Instruments
    Orange Tree Samples Core Bass: Pear
    EastWest Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra
    EastWest Quantum Leap Gypsy
    EastWest Quantum Leap Ministry of Rock
    EastWest Quantum Leap Silk: Masters of the Silk Road
    EastWest Quantum Leap Symphonic Choirs
    LA Scoring Strings

Hehe, the above list is just to give you an idea of the kind of sound I want to achieve for this project eventually ^^

~Mooshykris

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    Wow! This game should have a really nice score...

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2009
    While I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing this could be put on a DS or like things, there are issues that will vastly complicate that.
    Firstly, as others have mentioned, is formatting. It would need to be converted into a format that a DS can recognize. I don't know whether Sphere could be recognized on the DS, but, from what I gather from the other posts, I doubt it without much work and many changes.
    Secondly, and probably most important, is filesize. A .ds file (the usual format for ds games) has a filesize limit, and thus limits the features that can be put on it (I have been yelled at a few times for my idea on a hack because of this issue). I've come to realize that this is the reason that nintendo does not have more than 4 moves on a pokemon at a time, why they don't put in more than one region at a time, and many other things. Simply, with all the memory they have to have with 493 pokemon, two gender versions, and shinies of both of those, then you add up all the data that comes from creating routes, trainers, etc, everything that comes with creating a region, and you can see how quickly the storage available is eaten up.
    Unfortunatelly, I'm not super-familiar with the .ds file format, what the actual size is, or what it can do, but what I do know is that if this game was ported to the ds or other mobile device, a lot of features would have to be nixed...and/or graphics would suffer as well. I hope this answers your question.

thank you so much!

I now understand why it can't be ported to a PSP or a DS, seeing as they are platforms created for a specific type of game, and how hard it would be to make it a .ds file , but what about an iPod Touch? they run on simplified versions of Mac OS X, not a completely different operating system than any computer. Their memories range from 8-32 gigs, and many things have been ported for the Touch, such as Flash(Adobe has created it, but Apple won't let it get released), Safari, Google Maps , and numerous emulators.

"Official" iTouch apps are coded in Objective C. If a port of sphere could be coded in Objective C, this game might be playable portably (sp?)!

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2009
    Hey there, I just discovered this project today, and being a big pokemon fan myself, I really love it :)
    I also read the very first post by Captain Arcane and had a look at the maps, but there seem to be only 4 listed... Sorry if there's something I didn't know, but well... how come ? Cause this project's been going on for at least a year already and no more than 4 maps ? Plus I saw later posts insinuating that there were more, were they removed ?
    Anyway all the best and good luck with the project, really looking forward to playing it, I'm positive this will be the best fan game ever !

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2022
    thank you so much!

I now understand why it can't be ported to a PSP or a DS, seeing as they are platforms created for a specific type of game, and how hard it would be to make it a .ds file , but what about an iPod Touch? they run on simplified versions of Mac OS X, not a completely different operating system than any computer. Their memories range from 8-32 gigs, and many things have been ported for the Touch, such as Flash(Adobe has created it, but Apple won't let it get released), Safari, Google Maps , and numerous emulators.

"Official" iTouch apps are coded in Objective C. If a port of sphere could be coded in Objective C, this game might be playable portably (sp?)!

If you hack your ipod touch/Iphone (jailbreak) You can run roms but not games, I am not sure if Sphere is in C since I am more experienced in the roms field but if so it is completely possible for a port ^^

Ooh btw the official ones are actually Cocoa and the App Store would not want it since the chance of being sued from nintendo and Game Freak is to high so it would have to be coded for the jailbreak community.

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2009
    If you hack your ipod touch/Iphone (jailbreak) You can run roms but not games, I am not sure if Sphere is in C since I am more experienced in the roms field but if so it is completely possible for a port ^^

Ooh btw the official ones are actually Cocoa and the App Store would not want it since the chance of being sued from nintendo and Game Freak is to high so it would have to be coded for the jailbreak community.

really? I guess I got my information mixed up =/

The app store might not want pokemon: the lost world, but there's nothing stopping them from approving sphere =)

the lost world would only be a quick SSH away =)

Rhuan

Sphere scripter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2010
    Sphere is written in an ugly bodged up mix of C and C++. The problem with porting it to any other platform is all it's dependencies. There are loads of them and porting them can take hours, seriously, the chance of sphere running on anything other than linux, mac and windows in the foreseeable future is about 0.00000001%.

Waudby

Sphere is written in an ugly bodged up mix of C and C++.

It's a good job Kamatsu doesn't visit here, else he'd try and pick you up on that :P

Rhuan, any updates in the scripting department?

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2009
    Hey again can I have an answer please ? I've read through almost all of the posts (and there are a lot...) and I'm constantly tantalized by the amoount of times that people are talking about how great "Olivine city" looks for example, but how come there are no screens ? Or if there are, where are they please ? Also are read Captain Arcane posted a world map a while ago, and no sign of that either... Where have all these screens got to ???
    Thanx in advance for a reply(s) :)
    And once again, great project, I hope it gets finished.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back