• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2015
Rename the patch to something without any international characters in it (e.g., test.ips).

That solved the problem for me . . .

For some reason, Multipatch throws a fit whenever it sees international characters . . .

Worked like a charm. Thanks!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 15, 2022
ok guys...im having some problems...the only super nerd i can find in fucsia city just repeat me that he get the omanyte in cinnibar isladn...sadly nothing more happend and neither in any of the safari buildings...
what am i supposed to do about it? how do i get the second fossil?

another problem i have is with legendary dogs...cant find them in the caves...i start with charmender so suicune is running somewhere in kanto...sadly entei and raikou are not in their spot in mt ember orfive isle midow...what to do there?

Years
  • Seen May 15, 2022
i notice the patch im using is version 3.7.1...is it last??maybe im using the wrong one?

Mikekillkill

Musket Marine
Years
Uh... So I used The GB sounds item for the unused RSE Gymleader Theme, and it won't turn that theme into 8-bit. Is it the soundfont/voicegroup/whatever preventing this, or is it the fact that the RS soundfont exsists in FRLG but untouched by hacking?

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
It's late where I am, but I feel it necessary to speak after a bit of silence. My courses are nearing their end, so my leisure time has been stretched more thinly.

ok guys...im having some problems...the only super nerd i can find in fucsia city just repeat me that he get the omanyte in cinnibar isladn...sadly nothing more happend and neither in any of the safari buildings...
what am i supposed to do about it? how do i get the second fossil?

another problem i have is with legendary dogs...cant find them in the caves...i start with charmender so suicune is running somewhere in kanto...sadly entei and raikou are not in their spot in mt ember orfive isle midow...what to do there?
What emulator are you using?

You're supposed to speak to a specific Safari Zone staff member (he's not IN the Safari Zone, but in the "meetup" house in the middle of Fuchsia city) after talking to that Super Nerd. That will allow you to progress with that side mission.

As for the Raikou/Entei issue: I don't recall there being an issue with the Johto legendary trio when using any of the starters. Do you mean to say that the two that don't roam Kanto do not appear in Altering Cave at all? They should be standing at different ends of the cave. If there is a problem, I'll be sure to check that out when I have time. I did switch around their flags recently, so there's a possibility I screwed something up with them.

Uh... So I used The GB sounds item for the unused RSE Gymleader Theme, and it won't turn that theme into 8-bit. Is it the soundfont/voicegroup/whatever preventing this, or is it the fact that the RS soundfont exsists in FRLG but untouched by hacking?
That's because I didn't make an 8-bit version of the RSE Gym Leader music. The tune, to my (and your) knowledge, is unused throughout the entirety of FR/LG. If you force that track to play while the GB Player soundbank is in use, then you'll get nothing different from what it would normally sound like.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Not sure if I asked you this previously, but have you considered adding special Pokemon as in-game events? Based on some of the event distributions from Gen I. Like Surfing or Flying Pikachu, Dragon Rage Magikarp, or the Fan Club Chairman's Rapidash and Fearow

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Its actually not unused, I think it is used when you are fighting someone who is playing R/S/E.
Is that so? I've never actually tested the game with R/S/E, only with another FR or LG. I'll check if that's the case. If it is, I'll see about making an 8-bit version of it. Hopefully I further work on track accuracy at the same time...LFOs aren't that accurate in some tracks, particularly Lavender Town/Pokémon Tower.

I just would like to point out when I played through the game (with the most recent patch) the legendary dog event and the fossils both worked just fine.

May I ask why Eevee is one of the battle tower prizes when there is also one (much easier to obtain) in Celadon?
I figured that might be the case, part of the way the post was phrased made me think it might have just been some misunderstanding with how to start/progress those events.

As for the Eevee at Battle Tower, I didn't really have any other idea of Pokémon to make available. Canon-wise, offering a Celebi for beating the lattermost challenge would be ludicrous. No other Pokémon would really fit the bill, either, since it would seem to be an out-of-place addition there when compared to the Johto starters. All I had to work with was the fact that the last of the Trainer Tower challenges was a mixture of the three previous challenges. I just figured, "Why not offer the franchise's mix-evo creature as a reward?" So I did! :)

Not sure if I asked you this previously, but have you considered adding special Pokemon as in-game events? Based on some of the event distributions from Gen I. Like Surfing or Flying Pikachu, Dragon Rage Magikarp, or the Fan Club Chairman's Rapidash and Fearow
That's actually a great idea! I'll see about adding ways to get such special Pokémon in a future update if I can find a good, fitting way to add them in. I don't know why I didn't think of doing anything sooner.

Shadowfury22

Casual noob
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 28, 2014
May I ask why isn't Aurora Ticket obtainable ingame?
Great job, by the way. I just finished completing all the post-league events and I must say this romhack is amazing.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
May I ask why isn't Aurora Ticket obtainable ingame?
Great job, by the way. I just finished completing all the post-league events and I must say this romhack is amazing.
Thank you! One of my hack's focuses is making all Kanto Pokémon obtainable while having all (well, almost) Johto Pokémon available as a post-game bonus. Hoenn Pokémon are not present in the game, and I have no plans to add them to it due to limited areas in the game. Having access to only a couple of them would just make the latter entries of the Pokédex look like an empty mess, so better to have none at all than just two or three. Hence why there is no Aurora Ticket for Deoxys.

You could always trade them in from a R/S/E game if you want! I encourage people to play through one of those games (probably Emerald) to obtain Hoenn Pokémon so that they gain the complete 3rd Gen experience. Or just wait for Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire; the remakes will likely give you a better Hoenn experience than any version/GBA hack of R/S/E could.

Shadowfury22

Casual noob
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 28, 2014
I see, so it's in order to avoid having excessive blank space on the pokédex. Sounds reasonable, although in my opinion it's a pity that we can't access to the last remaining official event.

It's ok, though, I put a few gamesharks to get the ticket and enable the ferry so at the moment I'm spamming ultra balls to Deoxys xD

I also like that you recommend 3rd gen to people since I feel like it's the most underrated generation (I played Ruby a couple of hundreds of hours 10 years ago). But it wasn't until 2 months ago that I approached to Emerald thanks to an awesome romhack pretty similar to this one that I found out. In my case, this run of Fire Red has also been my first approach to the game and thanks to your romhack it has been completely awesome :)

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2024
Just poking my head really quick in to make a suggestion for the special Pokemon: how about one or two with Coliseum moves?

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Just poking my head really quick in to make a suggestion for the special Pokemon: how about one or two with Coliseum moves?
You mean Pokémon Colosseum? Well, first off, I'm not sure off the top of my head which special moves are available for which Pokémon in that game. And second, Colosseum is a 3rd Gen game. I'm not sure if I want to step on its toes in the sense that players could obtain that special-move-holding Pokémon in Colosseum (or XD, for 'mons that have special moves there) and trade them in to the GBA games from there. I'm pretty sure that the Dolphin emulator has the capability to do that now. If not, maybe I'll do something about that (no, not code the functionality into the emulator myself :P).

I just really don't want to diminish the value of unique occurrences in other 3rd-Gen-compatible games if not necessary. Having such instances of special moves available in my hack would make the inclusions in the GameCube games less special, no?

Akiak

dreamin'
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024
This looks great! I always thought having all 386 pokemon in FR was overkill, but having gen 1 and 2 is perfect. :)

May I ask what sort of modifications you've applied to the trainers in-game, if any?

Door2Dawn

Iron fist
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 23, 2021
How did you make it so TMs can be reused infinitely? Is there a specific patch for it? I read through the thread and can't find it.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Can you mix all the patches or do you only need to patch one?

Just as I stated in the OP, you can apply any combination of patches that you wish. If you want to use it all, just apply the base patch in the root directory of the download.

This looks great! I always thought having all 386 pokemon in FR was overkill, but having gen 1 and 2 is perfect. :)

May I ask what sort of modifications you've applied to the trainers in-game, if any?

I actually think there's enough areas in FR/LG to fit three complete generations of Pokémon. However, that would involve completely changing the areas of the main game to hold creatures that go against implied canon. Plus, looking beyond catching areas, having more than around 300 Pokémon available in a single game would get rather unruly. All things considered, I'm more than satisfied with the way I set it up.

The only two trainer changes I've made are in the Extras patch. First, it increases the levels of the Elite Four and Pokémon Champion teams by two during your initial run against them to match what they are in R/G/B/Y. And second, it replaces Giovanni's last Rhyhorn with a Rhydon, also to match with the original games. I guess you could classify that as enough to make this hack "harder" than vanilla FR/LG! ^_^

How did you make it so TMs can be reused infinitely? Is there a specific patch for it? I read through the thread and can't find it.

The infinite TM usage is part of the Extras patch. I did it by replacing the bytes at offsets 0x124EA0 and 0x124F6C with 90, as changing the "unknown" bytes for each item doesn't work that well for FR/LG.

Last edited:
Back