• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 21, 2016
This is amazing! Thank you for your hard work on this. If I can make a suggestion on how to make it even more the 100% definitive Kanto experience however, would it be possible to add in the cut battle with Professor Oak from red and blue as an optional individual patch? It could be a post game event that happens after you complete the Kanto Dex of 151(or the national dex if you want). The excuse to start the battle could make use of popular fan theories by having him reference that, he was the previous league champion before Blue (beating Agatha) and he resigned recently to pursue research but as a reward for fulfilling .his dream, hell give the player a chance to prove that they are the undisputed best. Obviously he'd congratulate the player after he loses and will give them a rematch if he wins. His team could consist of: Taros, Gyrados,Executor,Arcanine, The fully evolved starter that the player and rival didn't chose and finally Nidoking (who is the evolved forum of Nidorino who fights Gengar in the intro, possibly showing Oak vs Agatha in the past (this is a popular fan theory as Pokemon generation 0's team have given Oak Nidoran as a starter) heck Oak even shows a Nidoran F in the starting scene of the game (could be changed to male for consistency).

Anyway I just think that would be a really cool patch that would make Kanto feel more complete. Other than that the hack is just about perfect. The only other things that come to mind is adding day/night cycle (that include the eveelution), weather, seasons and adding an optional patch that could make trade evolution obtainable via leveling up or by using a stone (but that would be in an ideal world IMO). Maybe to expand the post game the battle frontier from Emerald could be inserted like the Mew event was. Well that's all the ideas I can think of, if any of my suggestions are already possible then please let me know. Anyway great work and thank you so much for the patches.

(PS: Is there an event to get the non-chosen Hitmon Lee/Chan later on? I can't find it on the catch'em all lists. Also on the list it says the rival donates his starter, is that fully evolved? because if it is, doesn't that make it impossible to finish the Pokedex? or is it a a spare un-evolved version that the rival got via breeding or something?)

Roger Davis

Goofball
Years
(PS: Is there an event to get the non-chosen Hitmon Lee/Chan later on? I can't find it on the catch'em all lists. Also on the list it says the rival donates his starter, is that fully evolved? because if it is, doesn't that make it impossible to finish the Pokedex? or is it a a spare un-evolved version that the rival got via breeding or something?)
It's a spare unevolved starter, but you can breed the fully evolved Pokemon yourself? And I'm pretty sure the only way to get Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee both is to breed it and make sure Tyrogue evolves into the one you didn't get at first. Breeding is required to complete the Pokedex as far as I'm aware. Getting a Ditto would help you a bunch with that.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 21, 2016
It's a spare unevolved starter, but you can breed the fully evolved Pokemon yourself? And I'm pretty sure the only way to get Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee both is to breed it and make sure Tyrogue evolves into the one you didn't get at first. Breeding is required to complete the Pokedex as far as I'm aware. Getting a Ditto would help you a bunch with that.

I see, thanks

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Mid-May already, huh? Man, time flies by fast. Strange to see so many deleted posts on this last page, too.

I'm getting back to working on Throwback. Right now, my focus is on overhauling the hack's structure entirely. There are some deep-seated intricacies about the hack that I want to change to make the hack cleaner, smaller in file size, and easier to port. All parts of the hack will see this change in some way. This will take me some time, so I don't know when I'll be done with it. My ultimate goal for this sounds unwieldy, but also powerful: Make every single feature of the hack optional/selectable.

What does this mean? Even more choice than there is now. You get all the choices possible! If you only want specific things from the Extras patch, for example, you can select them A la carte. I never want people to have to deal with unwanted features or features seen as bulk, so this will let people precisely choose how they want to play Pokémon. When I finish overhauling things, I'll just need to determine a means of distribution for the options. With the ideal setup I have in my mind, I hope to look back at possibly including some options that I previously felt were unfitting for the hack. We'll see, though!

Fair warning, though: Me doing this means that there might be an option or two that's dropped in the next release. Certain modifications in the hack are provided by other hackers in the Pokémon community. If they don't wish to have their hacks distributed in a patch or patch-esque form without any other changes, I'll need to remove them. From what I know so far, only Darthatron's modern Repel system port will get the axe under this new system. I'll try to find a way to keep them available, but I must respect the wishes of other hackers.

This is amazing! Thank you for your hard work on this. If I can make a suggestion on how to make it even more the 100% definitive Kanto experience however, would it be possible to add in the cut battle with Professor Oak from red and blue as an optional individual patch? It could be a post game event that happens after you complete the Kanto Dex of 151(or the national dex if you want). The excuse to start the battle could make use of popular fan theories by having him reference that, he was the previous league champion before Blue (beating Agatha) and he resigned recently to pursue research but as a reward for fulfilling .his dream, hell give the player a chance to prove that they are the undisputed best. Obviously he'd congratulate the player after he loses and will give them a rematch if he wins. His team could consist of: Taros, Gyrados,Executor,Arcanine, The fully evolved starter that the player and rival didn't chose and finally Nidoking (who is the evolved forum of Nidorino who fights Gengar in the intro, possibly showing Oak vs Agatha in the past (this is a popular fan theory as Pokemon generation 0's team have given Oak Nidoran as a starter) heck Oak even shows a Nidoran F in the starting scene of the game (could be changed to male for consistency).
Thanks for trying out the hack!

You're right about considering the context of including such an option. My problem with your suggestion is exactly as you said: It's a fan theory. I personally don't like the idea of trying to canonize something that have been proposed by the people playing them. I don't really know any specifics about the possible Oak-Agatha connection a lot of people in the fandom seem fascinated by. If I wanted to entreat that, I'd need to become immersed in that information and implement a feature based on how I feel is best considering everything floating around that's been posted by fans. Frankly, I don't want to do that. I like Pokémon, but I've got many other interests in the world of video games, too. And plenty others outside of it, of course.

There's also the issue of Professor Oak's team. In the game, Oak states that the three starter Pokémon are his last remaining creatures. I find it best to put faith in what he says. There's always the justification that he's lying to the main characters and actually does have a personal team left. As a professor, though, I think his ambitions and attention would be fully focused on studying Pokémon. Also, I always thought that if anyone was to get the unchosen starter from Oak's lab, it would be the protagonist that you're not playing as. I know I previously shot down the idea of including the Oak battle.

Now that I'm thinking everything over again, though, there's always a slight chance I'll do something about it if I can find a good way to do it. It'd certainly be it's own patch separate from any existing patch for Throwback, along with other options being reconsidered.

Anyway I just think that would be a really cool patch that would make Kanto feel more complete. Other than that the hack is just about perfect. The only other things that come to mind is adding day/night cycle (that include the eveelution), weather, seasons and adding an optional patch that could make trade evolution obtainable via leveling up or by using a stone (but that would be in an ideal world IMO). Maybe to expand the post game the battle frontier from Emerald could be inserted like the Mew event was. Well that's all the ideas I can think of, if any of my suggestions are already possible then please let me know. Anyway great work and thank you so much for the patches.
You're very welcome, and thanks for the suggestions! Let me go through these things individually:

Day/Night: There would need to be mechanics in the game that justify its existence. Espeon/Umbreon is not enough (You can get both of them in the hack, BTW. I implemented RTC for that reason). I guess I could find things to tie to day and night, like certain wild Pokémon appearances and a few events already in the game. Maybe make it so Daisy only gives one Pokémon a haircut once a day during the daytime... although I bet people would get mad at me for changing that to make it much less exploitative.
Weather: This isn't entirely out of the question. I actually think some areas would look better with a certain weather effect. However, they'd be subtle effects that are realistic for the given area. That means no snow or heavy rain.
Seasons: This would be a feature to include just to say, "Hey, look! My hack has seasons!" There's no functional purpose for it that'd be fitting for the original games without reworking them entirely, and that's not the purpose of this hack.
Trade Evolutions: At this point I have no idea if anyone will ever figure out a more elegant way to simulate in-game evolutions triggered by trading. The feature portions of this hack will never change how these Pokémon evolve. Like I said, though, I'm reconsidering things for off-to-the-side options.
Battle Frontier: You are aware that no existing FireRed hacks have that, right? It's a lot harder to implement than many might think at first.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 21, 2016
The deleted posts are my fault, I'm new here and accidentally posted my replies twice, also I made a post asking about where to catch Mew but in the end I got him so I deleted the post.

Regarding the Oak battle, while Oak may say he no longer has any left, it's clear that there is a cut battle with him where he uses the not chosen starter in red, blue, green and yellow so there must have been some intended explanations. One could argue that he gained the battle Pokemon after the start of the game, or that he didn't count his personal team and was only counting research Pokemon. Here's footage of the battle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgeOPyntJ-k

I think the Oak battle is the number one feature I'd like to see added just because it'd feel more complete, to me it's like battling red at the end of Gold and Silver, it's just cool that there is a secret final boss.

In terms of the Oak Agatha relationship, there isn't too much to really learn about, Agatha mentions how tough and handsome he was long ago, but now he just does research which she thinks is dumb because Pokemon are for battling. Outside of that the only other material that comes to mind is the manga, where it is revealed that Oak was a champion and that he beat Agatha when they were younger.

As for the other things I suggested, I only suggested day/night is because of Espeon/Umbreon and weather because apparently it was cut from Fire Red/Leaf Green. Also I suggested the battle frontier because it'd be nice to have a longer post game for Kanto and the Battle frontier is just a really cool thing. Another thing you could add to extend the post game is rematches with the gym leaders, they could use their teams from the Kanto part of Gold and Silver or their Black and white 2 teams, after all now the player is champion they have no reason to hold back.

If you would make a no trade evolution patch, that would be great but if not then would it be possible to add an NPC that will trade back and forward with the player in game?

It's a shame you have to cut the modern repel system feature, since it's one of my favorite aspects.

Now that I've finished the game I have a few other ideas that you might want to consider. (bare in mind most of these are trivial and some of these may sound silly because I have no experience in rom hacking, so I'm not really aware of the limitations)

Would you consider implementing more features present in Pokemon Yellow? I know many people were disappointed that some features from it weren't incorporated into the remakes, particularly Jessie and James who could have had a double battle implemented and also there is Pokemon following behind you thing (for starters only I mean, cause I think all Pokemon would be impossible).

Another cool but unnecessary things that I'm sure some people would ask for is implementation of the Physical/Special split.

Furthermore there is a similar hack to yours called ultra violet, while I prefer your hack, there is one cool feature that you might want to consider including here and that's giving the player the option to catch a starter. Now that I've finished the game with Charmander I think that such an option would be cool for repeated runs, then again this really isn't necessary.

Additionally if it's possible maybe, you could make different difficulties for veteran players.

One last request, is there anyway to put Blastoise on the title screen too? I feel so bad for him that he isn't there lol. Either that or maybe remake the title screen from red and blue where red is there it cycles between different Pokemon.

Once again thanks for the awesome hack, if I ever do an LP of Fire Red after my exams, I'll definitely use this hack.

PS: On a personal note: I hate the Sprite of Red shown when you challenge the elite 4 or get in the hall of fame, the eyes just look weird.

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
The deleted posts are my fault, I'm new here and accidentally posted my replies twice, also I made a post asking about where to catch Mew but in the end I got him so I deleted the post.
Don't worry about it.

Regarding the Oak battle, while Oak may say he no longer has any left, it's clear that there is a cut battle with him where he uses the not chosen starter in red, blue, green and yellow so there must have been some intended explanations. One could argue that he gained the battle Pokemon after the start of the game, or that he didn't count his personal team and was only counting research Pokemon. Here's footage of the battle:
I'm plenty aware of the coded battle in the game. However, its existence doesn't really mean anything. Just because it's a leftover doesn't mean that it was meant to be a part of the game. There's nothing else in the game's code that would suggest it was meant to be part of the actual game. Chances are it might have been an early test battle to see if the game could recognize the player's choice of starter and for it to adapt accordingly.

As for the other things I suggested, I only suggested day/night is because of Espeon/Umbreon and weather because apparently it was cut from Fire Red/Leaf Green. Also I suggested the battle frontier because it'd be nice to have a longer post game for Kanto and the Battle frontier is just a really cool thing. Another thing you could add to extend the post game is rematches with the gym leaders, they could use their teams from the Kanto part of Gold and Silver or their Black and white 2 teams, after all now the player is champion they have no reason to hold back.
As I already said, you can get both Espeon and Umbreon in my hack. D/N and weather weren't "cut" for FR/LG, they were never a part of the original games (R/G/B/Y) to begin with. Also, just as I said, including something like the Battle Frontier isn't so much about "This would be cool" so much as "Is this even feasible?". If you look around here, you'll see that many have tried to do something about it before, but haven't amounted to much of anything. I wouldn't be able to, either.

If you would make a no trade evolution patch, that would be great but if not then would it be possible to add an NPC that will trade back and forward with the player in game?
I thought about trying something like that, but I was never able to figure out how to work it out. The in-game trades are referenced from a table, and each one has specific values for which Pokémon will be traded from either party. I'd need to code something quite different from one of those, undoubtedly requiring ASM. I'm not the kind of person who's able to do that.

It's a shame you have to cut the modern repel system feature, since it's one of my favorite aspects.
It's really not my choice here. I have to respect Darthatron's wishes. However, if I do find a way to keep it in, I will. That might require bundling it with a couple other features. I might be able to keep it in then.

Would you consider implementing more features present in Pokemon Yellow? I know many people were disappointed that some features from it weren't incorporated into the remakes, particularly Jessie and James who could have had a double battle implemented and also there is Pokemon following behind you thing (for starters only I mean, cause I think all Pokemon would be impossible).
Almost nothing is impossible when hacking. Feasible, though? That's a completely different question. Just like with the Battle Frontier, no one has found a fully-functional way to make Pokémon follow behind you like Pikachu does in Yellow. So that's pretty much an automatic "no" for just about any GBA hack.

Also, "no" on Jessie and James. I'm not incorporating anything strictly from the anime (or anime-inspired elements from other games) into my hack. I might have already accidentally done that with one little thing (the "blasting off" line, which I thought appeared in the official games), and if so I'll be removing that from it in the next update.

Another cool but unnecessary things that I'm sure some people would ask for is implementation of the Physical/Special split.
I've answered this question several times before, but I get why people keep asking it.

This hack is about being faithful to the original games. Including the Physical/Special split would undermine that goal. Further, it breaks link battles with any ROM that also doesn't have this specific P/S split incorporated. I need to keep Throwback compatible with the official games.

I'm not against offering it as a side-option, though. Side options would be "unsanctioned" modifications that one could apply in my hack suite. We'll see what happens.

Furthermore there is a similar hack to yours called ultra violet, while I prefer your hack, there is one cool feature that you might want to consider including here and that's giving the player the option to catch a starter. Now that I've finished the game with Charmander I think that such an option would be cool for repeated runs, then again this really isn't necessary.
That option is highly unconventional, and I haven't seen it used elsewhere. I'd think that anyone else implementing the idea would more than likely be copying it from that hack, so I'd rather it remain there. I have no interest in implementing such an option, anyways.

Additionally if it's possible maybe, you could make different difficulties for veteran players.
This is one of those things that I'm possibly reconsidering in the long-run. I like the idea that Black 2/White 2 had, where you can start a new game with the harder difficulty from within the game. It'd be something interesting to have, but I don't plan on doing it for now. I have no idea how I'd go about making the game more difficult.

One last request, is there anyway to put Blastoise on the title screen too? I feel so bad for him that he isn't there lol. Either that or maybe remake the title screen from red and blue where red is there it cycles between different Pokemon.
"No" on Blastoise because I suck at drawing sprites. The latter thing you mention is a wonderful idea, but I don't know how possible it would be to do. No one's ever tried doing something like it before in a GBA Pokémon hack, and I know I wouldn't be able to do it.

Once again thanks for the awesome hack, if I ever do an LP of Fire Red after my exams, I'll definitely use this hack.
Well thank you! I'm happy to have made something others can enjoy, too.

PS: On a personal note: I hate the Sprite of Red shown when you challenge the elite 4 or get in the hall of fame, the eyes just look weird.
Yeah, they did change his eyes up a bit, didn't they? It's a side effect of wanting Red to look distinctly different from Ash.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I'm sorry if I somehow missed this but where is Tyrogue found?
Breed a Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan/Hitmontop with a Ditto.

I've seen this question asked a lot, several times concerning my hack. Honestly, I'm surprised there are as many people who aren't aware of this as there are. Not saying anything against you, BTW.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 16, 2016
@RichterSnipes

I thought of something else you could do to make this more like the original. How about changing the Oak's Parcel script back to what the original Red/Blue said instead of "Oak: This isn't the time to use this!" back to along the lines of "this isn't yours to use!". I think this was an oversight by the scripting crew on this game.

ItWasABadDream

Genwunner / born 1989
Years
I finished playing Fire Red Throwback last night. It delivers everything it promises: a mirrored version of Red on a Fire Red base. One thing I especially liked about this hack is that TMs are reusable. I don't think I even reused any of them, but it was nice to know that I wouldn't completely lose my Ice Beam TM if I didn't like it being used on my Blastoise, my Shadow Ball TM on Kadabra, or Thunderbolt & Flamethrower TMs on my Dragonite. I tried to get the patched rom to work with the Universal Pokémon Randomizer, but it wouldn't work. I'll try it some more in the near future, switching up some of the options, to see if I can get it to work.

All in all, I don't see how I couldn't give this hack anything other than 10/10. It delivers everything it was made to. It really is the Pokémon Red version of Kanto on a Fire Red base. The reusable TMs definitely make it a 10/10. Thanks for making a great romhack.

This was the team I had when I defeated the Elite Four:
14o0rat.jpg

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 16, 2016
@RichterSnipes

I thought of something else you could do to make this more like the original. How about changing the Oak's Parcel script back to what the original Red/Blue said instead of "Oak: This isn't the time to use this!" back to along the lines of "this isn't yours to use!". I think this was an oversight by the scripting crew on this game.

Speaking of this, I found a glitch. If on an island such as Faraway Island and you are in the same room with Mew, if you are using a Max Repel and you need to use another one, but select "NO", Mew stops moving and if you try to talk to him the game freezes.

EDIT: This basically happens anywhere where there's moving sprites and you choose "NO" for using another repel. So yeah...this is a pretty bad glitch.

EDIT2: I corrected this issue. Though I recompiled my script afresh. I moved mine to 0x770BA0. But on your current build RichterSnipes try changing 0x7708F6 from $02 to $6C. This is a command to "release" sprites. $02 previously ended the script.

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
@ItWasABadDream: Yeah, it's probably best that you downsize that picture. 1x or 2x size for GBA screen captures would be good enough.

I'll see about making my hack compatible with the Randomizer in a future release. I can't guarantee it, though, as the Pokémon location changes/events I've made may throw some wrenches into that. Let's hope for the best!

Speaking of this, I found a glitch. If on an island such as Faraway Island and you are in the same room with Mew, if you are using a Max Repel and you need to use another one, but select "NO", Mew stops moving and if you try to talk to him the game freezes.

EDIT: This basically happens anywhere where there's moving sprites and you choose "NO" for using another repel. So yeah...this is a pretty bad glitch.

EDIT2: I corrected this issue. Though I recompiled my script afresh. I moved mine to 0x770BA0. But on your current build RichterSnipes try changing 0x7708F6 from $02 to $6C. This is a command to "release" sprites. $02 previously ended the script.
This wouldn't be the first time that thing has caused problems for me. I'll upload a bug-fix patch for it soon, but I can't guarantee it'll be up by the end of this week. E3 takes precedence over other game stuff! ^^

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 16, 2016
This wouldn't be the first time that thing has caused problems for me. I'll upload a bug-fix patch for it soon, but I can't guarantee it'll be up by the end of this week. E3 takes precedence over other game stuff! ^^

Will this patch also include the textual oversight that I mentioned?

EDIT: Also, are there any other known glitches other than the ones mentioned on the first post? (I still haven't been able to trigger that dns glitch with lighting that you mentioned.)

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Will this patch also include the textual oversight that I mentioned?
If you're talking about Oak's Parcel, then no. The patch will just be a bug fix. New features will be part of a bigger update in the future. The thing you mention is an oversight by the developers, not a bug I created in the game. Therefore, it'd be a new feature. It'll happen, though.

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 16, 2016
New features will be part of a bigger update in the future.

Should we expect a new version sometime summer; or is it not in the makes, yet? Just curious, no rush or anything.

EDIT: Another thing, why is Eevee a Tower prize if you can just breed one with a Ditto to get more? (Or breed one of Eevee's evolutions with a Ditto.)

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Bug Fix v3.9.1a

I've uploaded the a bug fix release for my hack. Well, it's actually half-bug, half-oversight. As it turns out, the issue with the Repel system stems from the template Darthatron made for the needed script for the program. I would bring that up in the respective Development thread, but I'm pretty sure Darthatron isn't active around here anymore.

The other thing is a different save file for the Celebi Giveaway event patch. If you want to make use of that, you'll like the change I made!

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Should we expect a new version sometime summer; or is it not in the makes, yet? Just curious, no rush or anything.

EDIT: Another thing, why is Eevee a Tower prize if you can just breed one with a Ditto to get more? (Or breed one of Eevee's evolutions with a Ditto.)
I can't make any promises as to when I will release a new version. All I can say is that I've been finding it more difficult to find time that I can dedicate to the hack, but I will have another update for it sometime.

On the reward Eevee: There's not really a fitting fourth Pokémon to offer as a prize for these battle modes. Having the fourth battle mode give an item would also not be fitting considering the other three give Pokémon as rewards. I figured that Eevee would be a nice consolation. After all, it is the wild card Pokémon in terms of types its evolutions cover. Think about it this way: Would you rather have nothing?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 26, 2015
Thanks! To be honest I'm actually amazed I was able to get the music to sound the way it does now. I wouldn't consider myself a master hacker by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm happy with what I've been able to do on this.

so is getting Pikachu to follow you impossible? ive seen a few videos on youtube but I cant seem to get the follow script to work ever on any gba rom.... please man if you know how to accomplish this let us all know lol ive been trying to implement this in my game for almost a year now,,,,

thanks
waffa

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
so is getting Pikachu to follow you impossible? ive seen a few videos on youtube but I cant seem to get the follow script to work ever on any gba rom.... please man if you know how to accomplish this let us all know lol ive been trying to implement this in my game for almost a year now,,,,

thanks
waffa
Whoa...

I made that comment that you quoted just over three years ago! Amazing how time flies by. I'd say time hasn't really changed the sentiment of it, but I look quite a bit more down on myself now since I've seen what others have been able to do with ROM hacking.

What I'm struggling to understand is why you replied to that post to ask this question, which seems to have nothing to do with it. Pretty silly if you ask me! Information on that is found in a different topic. You may have actually looked through there. Suffice it to say, a fully-functional solution doesn't exist. It's certainly not impossible, but it will require a great amount of thinking, coding expertise, and effort to create a solution for it within the game's engine.

Back