• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
When you get into your new version of this hack will you post updates to keep us up to date? (Not updates as in updating the hack, but updates as in letting us know what's up)
That's always been the plan. When I finished the Wardrobe refresh I put up some notes on that. I also said a thing or two about what was up with the 8-Bit music. I'll continue with this approach so long as the changes could possibly be of any interest to others. You know, like new features or fixes. I won't make any note of something like code cleanup until the big update is out.

Don't expect any sort of timing consistency in terms of when I'll be posting progress updates. It all depends on when I make time for Throwback.

Reactions: BT

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Over 100k views! Thank you everyone who's checked out and supported my hack! I never released Throwback with the intention of garnering interest. I'm happy to have made something that others have enjoyed.

The following no longer applies and is only here for archival purposes:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
What's this? A resurrection? Say it ain't so! We back in business, baby!

I'm resuming work on Throwback for now. I think there's still a place for it and there's plenty of room for improvement. However, over the years there have been things that I've felt dissatisfied with it. There were things I was never able to implement due to lack of available resources. But now, I'm able to finally give you the edition of Throwback I always envisioned when I first started working on it. A Special Edition, if you will. There will be changes and removals from how it was before, but you'll look back at those old things and think of them as antiquities, as if they're from an older time. They might have been there before, but those were effectively part of a "rough cut." What will come is the "final cut," the true final version of Pokémon Throwback. This will be the version that is remembered for generations to come while the other one is forgotten.

Here's just some of the changes you can expect:

• The Physical/Special split will be put in the hack!
  • The player characters will look different yet again from how they already do in the hack!
  • The GB Player will be removed from the game!
  • Say goodbye to being able to catch trade-evolved 'mons in the wild!
  • The revised Repel system will no longer be a part of the hack!
  • All future Extras patches I'm making will have only a single feature to them! Which one? You figure it out!
  • And much more!
I hope you all will soon be able to experience the true version of Pokémon Throwback, as it always should have been. Here's a video progress update on how I've been doing with everything recently.

"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Nintendo. Sorry about that."

It's great. It's gonna be great. It's gonna be great.

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Seriously, though, Throwback has returned. I've saved the source and have it backed up in several locations now. Progress is - and will continue to be - slow. However, it's still happening. I'll admit this right now: Outside of bug fixes, this reconstruction will probably be my last direct involvement with the hack. It's time for me to move on from it. But I'll make sure this final update from me will be one to remember!

Also, every single one of those bullet points is true in one way or another. Whatever you do, just don't be concerned!

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 8, 2024
Hi Richtersnipes, your hack is amazing and I almost at the end of the game and I wanted to make a suggestion.
1. Can you make an event for celebi like how you did mew, like have celebi appear in the pattern forest but there's another room/secret forest that celebi appears.
2. And I believe that before someone suggested to put in game trade where you ask bill to use his machine and the pokemon evolves if the pokemon needs to evolve from trade.
3. Or have pokemon that have to trade evolve from Level up or stones.
Thank you.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 21, 2020
I really like your game! I am playing it non stop, but I do have a question. I just reached mt. ember, and when I got to the top Moltres wasn't there... Is this just a glitch or is there something i'm missing?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 8, 2024
Moezzie, to get Moltres you have to go to victory road that where you can find moltres.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Sorry for not being active around here. Time and interest for working on Throwback has been even harder to come by than I thought it would. I'm still working on it, though. I've got the wild locations redone in a more tasteful manner. I've also made a LeafGreen version of it.

Hi Richtersnipes, your hack is amazing and I almost at the end of the game and I wanted to make a suggestion.
1. Can you make an event for celebi like how you did mew, like have celebi appear in the pattern forest but there's another room/secret forest that celebi appears.
2. And I believe that before someone suggested to put in game trade where you ask bill to use his machine and the pokemon evolves if the pokemon needs to evolve from trade.
3. Or have pokemon that have to trade evolve from Level up or stones.
Thank you.
1. I have a devious plan in mind as to what I want to do with Celebi. It should be more than just a tiny event like I've got with Mew. I don't think I'll be doing anything with Pattern Bush, though.
2. Suggesting and implementing features are two very different things. The only way you can do the former right now is if you use FBI's silent evolution method, which I will not be using. Any implementation I use will need to have the evolution cutscene present. Turns out someone figured out how to do it! I'll check out this method myself and see how well I can implement it.
3. I won't be changing any evolution methods for the primary part of the hack. I might make a YMMV/unsupported option for it, though.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 5, 2016
Sorry if this has been asked before. Is it possible to get enough Eevee's for all its evolutions, or can I only get 2? (One from Eevee's original spot and one from the Trainer Tower)

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
I recently am feeling nostalgic for pokemon ever since pokemon go came out, and I was thinking of playing FireRed. But then I stumbled upon this project, and it sounds great!

I just wanted to say thanks for the hard work, and that I look forward to trying out your ROM hack.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Sorry if this has been asked before. Is it possible to get enough Eevee's for all its evolutions, or can I only get 2? (One from Eevee's original spot and one from the Trainer Tower)

Just breed one of those Eevees with a Ditto at the Day Care on Four Island. Or any compatible Pokémon if you happen to get a female Eevee.

I recently am feeling nostalgic for pokemon ever since pokemon go came out, and I was thinking of playing FireRed. But then I stumbled upon this project, and it sounds great!

I just wanted to say thanks for the hard work, and that I look forward to trying out your ROM hack.

I am thinking of replaying it again!

Thanks you guys! In years past these kinds of posts would have pushed me to get an update to the hack out within a couple of days. I don't think that will happen this time, so if you plan on playing soon, go right on ahead!

I was actually planning on putting some time into the music side again, but it'll be annoying to get back on that. It seems like Sappy is truly and utterly broken this time with no way of fixing it on my computer. It's starting to look like a Windows XP virtual machine is my only option now for that.

Del

Iт'ѕ rαιɴιɴɢ oυтѕιde [...]
Years
Thanks you guys! .. update to the hack out within a couple of days..so if you plan on playing soon, go right on ahead!
Emmm.. play?? go a head?? what are you saying? I am on the 6th badge LOL, update? NEW MUSIC ARE YOU SERIOUS?? Please you go a head!!!!!! ahahha what about improving mapping for wider areas and new houses and such things??
We are the ones who should say thank you, not you man, THANK YOU!!

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Emmm.. play?? go a head?? what are you saying? I am on the 6th badge LOL, update? NEW MUSIC ARE YOU SERIOUS?? Please you go a head!!!!!! ahahha what about improving mapping for wider areas and new houses and such things??
We are the ones who should say thank you, not you man, THANK YOU!!

I hadn't realized how old your post was. Sorry about that! It really applies to anyone considering playing my hack sometime in the immediate future.

I was in the process of touching up the music to remove small issues and make the music choice more consistent to how it is in the Gen 1 games. There will be at least one new tune, though. You won't hear it in a regular playthrough; it replaces the theme for the Wireless Adapter games on Two Island.

I might create a new map or so to fulfill my goal of getting Celebi catchable ingame. However, increasing the size of existing maps and buildings is beyond the scope of this hack.

And thanks for that! I'm happy people are able to get enjoyment out of this thing that I've put out.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2016
So I patched in the catch em all and extra patches and now i cant enter any of the buildings in pallet town, which means I cant deliver the package to oak..help? I really wanna play this.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
So I patched in the catch em all and extra patches and now i cant enter any of the buildings in pallet town, which means I cant deliver the package to oak..help? I really wanna play this.
That doesn't sound like something the patches alone would be capable of. Did you make sure you patched them to the correct game/ROM version? These patches are for the initial English releases of FireRed and LeafGreen (v1.0), not the updated ones (Rev A/v1.1).

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 28, 2023
Hi RichterSnipes, I'm trying to port your GB Player patch to a non-US Fire Red ROM.

I have successfully created (not ported) the GB Player item that runs the assembly codes needed to switch the music table, but, when I use such item, the game freezes or restarts while displaying the "nostalgia wave" message...

I took the sound table from your IPS file and replaced the pointers to the correct ones for my ROM. In fact, If I open my modified ROM with Sappy Mod, both the DirectSound tunes and the 8-bit ones play perfectly.

I would like to know what I'm missing to make GB Player fully work, I can't figure it out...

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
It looks like my laptop is on its last legs. It also looks like Sappy just refuses to work properly for me now on it, even with a Windows XP virtual machine. At this rate, I don't think I'll be able to finish my work on Throwback with this machine. I'm gonna look towards getting a new laptop in the near future. Until then, I'll see what else I can do with my hack besides music. If I can't get Sappy working again on a new machine, I might not be able to realistically make much more in the way of changes to the music. I'm just fortunate I did the vast majority of work on it before I started having these issues.

Hi RichterSnipes, I'm trying to port your GB Player patch to a non-US Fire Red ROM.

I have successfully created (not ported) the GB Player item that runs the assembly codes needed to switch the music table, but, when I use such item, the game freezes or restarts while displaying the "nostalgia wave" message...

I took the sound table from your IPS file and replaced the pointers to the correct ones for my ROM. In fact, If I open my modified ROM with Sappy Mod, both the DirectSound tunes and the 8-bit ones play perfectly.

I would like to know what I'm missing to make GB Player fully work, I can't figure it out...
There's multiple functions that need to be edited to get the GB Player fully working with a different ROM image of the game, meaning several pointer changes. Given what you've said, it seems like it's a problem with the music bank switching itself. There's a few things that could go wrong with that part, but I wouldn't know what exactly it is for you without looking at your changes.

Last edited:
Back