• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Unbound [COMPLETED]

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I really like the addition of unofficial abilities, especially one particular Pokémon proves itself as a capable sweeper with "Royal Roar" (a SpAtk "Moxie").

But it got me thinking, if it was viable to release a "vanilla" version in the future, where every Pokémon had its cumulated past and current moves and abilities, making it more in line with the official games.
    Getting used to e.g. "Royal Roar" might spoil going back to official games for me, not having the same Pokémon "useful".

Also, regarding the Pokémon not mentioned above,
    Spoiler:
    has Incinerate as its designated fire type move, which I had mentioned before.
    Just in case it got overlooked, Incinerate fails in raids, so it essentially carries a useless move.

Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2022
    I'm play game insane mode, game very fun and fantasic but i have question "where to location i can change EV/IV Editor and Nature some like Radical Red,IEmeralv..v"

Years
  • I'm play game insane mode, game very fun and fantasic but i have question "where to location i can change EV/IV Editor and Nature some like Radical Red,IEmeralv..v"

Is Sandbox Mode active? If it is active you can modify your mons' natures, IVs, and EVs for free from the summary screen. If it is not active, the things are more complex.

Nature changing is available at Tehl Town, but in essence, you cannot change the natures of your mons until defeating your rival at Route 12 (after defeating Maxima and obtaining Mega Bracelet / Cuff / Charm / Ring). For this, you need to catch 4 different Deerlings from Routes 6, 8, 9, and 12 and evolve them into 4 Sawsbucks. Then, show them to the scientist at Tehl Town and you can change natures of your mons. It is also quite expensive compared to RR; it will cost 50k money in Unbound, and unlike Radical Red, the happiness of the mon that you change its nature falls severely.
    IV modification is even more difficult; and I dare say that without Bottle Caps or Gold Bottle Caps this is almost impossible in the early game. You can obtain them via completing some side missions or very rarely by raid dens but even then this is still unreliable. Breeding may be the solution but it takes too much time. This is why I, personally cannot play Insane difficulty without Sandbox Mode turned on.
    For EV changing, you can buy happiness-increasing-but-EV-lowering berries at Fallshore market. Also, remember to get a Macho Brace from a guy in Blizzard City (on Expert and Insane difficulty modes, this is the place; on other difficulties, Route 10 with Surf access needed instead) and collect Everstones via mining; you can make your Macho Brace level 10 that way, which means that the mon that holds this item gets 10x the EVs after each fight.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Another raid related (bug?/) thing I encountered:

I was fighting a Minior and we eventually started a weather war.
    It started sandstorms by Max Rockfall each round before I answered with rain by Max Geyser.
    One turn my Pokémon barely survived, so naturally its slow Max Geyser would override the sandstorm again, so no residual damage to take it out.
    But it fainted from sand.

My Max Geyser was in fact after the Max Rockfall, but it didn't trigger rain, so the sandstorm stayed.

It was during a turn when the opposing Pokémon lost its desperation barrier due to my Max Geyser.
    I assume there might be a bug not triggering the weather (or Max move secondary effect even?) when or before the broken barrier effects trigger.

In short, it went like this:

Turn X:
    - opponent: Max Rockfall, sandstorm
    - me: Max Geyser, rain
    Turn Y:
    - opponent: Max Rockfall, sandstorm
    - me: Max Geyser, no rain
    - opponent: desperation barrier break
    - me: Pokémon faints from sandstorm

Maybe a bug in the CFRU?

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2022
    Have a question. So, I'm playing Unbound on a website, and it doesn't have an option for an RTC, and when I went to battle Rayquaza, it disappeared and I couldn't make it re-appear with the Jade orb. Is that supposed to happen, where you can only fight Rayquaza only once? Or am I able to do something different to make it re-appear post-game (cause that's when I fought MRay)? Or is it the RTC-not-being-theres' fault?

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Quick question I fear I already know the answer of:
    Is there any way to teach Alolan Raichu Teleport?

According to Bulbapedia, it could be learned via TM in Let's Go, so I was wondering if it was included in its moves.

If not, may I recommend having it looked into?
    Its current iteration isn't fleeing, but a negative priority switch. Could come in handy for otherwise fast Pokémon.

Years
  • I am trying to patch the Pokemon Unbound ups file to a Pokemon Fire Red rom, but none seem to be working and I can't play the game on a GBA emulator. Am I not using the right rom to do the patching? Can you help me please? I really want to try out this Rom Hack.

Years
  • I am trying to patch the Pokemon Unbound ups file to a Pokemon Fire Red rom, but none seem to be working and I can't play the game on a GBA emulator. Am I not using the right rom to do the patching? Can you help me please? I really want to try out this Rom Hack.

Get a 1636 FireRed Squirrels rom from somewhere and patch using this site. Here, give your clean FireRed rom to "ROM file:" field and your Unbound patch file to "Patch file:" field. Click the "Apply patch" button and download the new GBA file, which will be your Unbound GBA file you will be playing.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2022
    How do I update to 2.0.3.2 from 2.0.2 without having to start again with a new save. I'm playing on John's GBA lite on Android. I'm not the best with computers so if some one could explain it in a basic way it would be greatly appreciated

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    How do I update to 2.0.3.2 from 2.0.2 without having to start again with a new save. I'm playing on John's GBA lite on Android. I'm not the best with computers so if some one could explain it in a basic way it would be greatly appreciated

Use a file manager on your phone (or on your PC), go to the folder your emulator uses and look for your old save file. Save files usually use the name of your ROM file and the ".sav" extension. If you only use save states, save normally before.
    If your old ROM name is "Unbound202.gba" and your old save file is "Unbound202.sav", rename your "Unbound202.sav" to whatever your new ROM/.gba file name is and keep the .sav extension.

This is only recommended for smaller updates. A bigger update (e.g. from 1.1.3.1 to 2.0) might result in a corrupt save file.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2022
    Hey, found an RTC issue with the MiSTer FPGA GBA core. It's a mix of the MiSTer's limitation and how the ROM hack is set up.

Because of limitations in the platform, MiSTer's GBA core cannot enable RTC per ROM, but only per ROM ID (similar issue with another Fire REd ROM hack here: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/GBA_MiSTer/issues/105). Since the ROM ID in the ROM header at address A0 is the same as Fire Red's, it is not possible to whitelist RTC for Unbound without breaking Fire Red.

As it seems a fix on the MiSTer side might not be possible, maybe some solutions:
    1. Change Unbound's ROM ID to Pokemon Emerald's. Not sure if this would break game-specific hacks in certain emulators. This works to fix RTC at least for MiSTer by HEX editing the ROM ID to Emerald and fixing header with GBATA.
    2. Change Unbound's ROM ID to something entirely unique so that it may be added to the RTC whitelist independently.
    3. Provide some other way RTC support can be detected by emulators in the ROM.

As another note, I have to force RTC to on in my Everdrive GBA X5 as well, but that device can do it per-ROM. Fix #1 should solve it for these devices/emulators.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Regarding consumable items, I've never been using those besides berries.
    But lately I've been trying a little bit of actual team building, optimizing held items included. But therein lies my issue:

Consumable one-time acquisition items (such as the Eject Button in my case) are supposed to return "after important battles" according to the Trainer Tips sign in Cinder Volcano.
    However, this description might be misleading, because one would assume, the item would be still on your Pokémon after a trainer battle, and it wouldn't after a wild battle.
    After having mine triggered, it was gone, only being able to reacquire it at the Battle Tower for 32BP.

This makes equipping these items rather useless or irrelevant without having access to the Battle Tower and therefore unfortunately discouraging to use in advanced strategies mid-game.

One might argue this is how they supposed to work, and so far, I had agreed neglecting them altogether.
    But to avoid confusion (and metaphorically hit oneself ;) ) maybe revisioning the aforementioned Trainer Tips sign might be a good idea.

Another thing I noticed is Tailwind only having 3 turns of doubled speed, which was increased to four turns from Gen5 onward.
    Given a certain popularity of Tailwind (such as on Prankster Whimsicott), I really wish for having it updated.

My strategy included ejecting a Talonflame after Gale Wings Tailwind, but because of these mere 3 turns, it renders my entire team composition obsolete for the time being. :/

Edit: I have miscounted. It is 3 turns barring its turn used. Ugh...

Last edited:

CursedAnqxl

Random Person #7,180,183,746
    Years
  • I love this story and the amount of things you can do in this game, but I have a bit of a problem with the predetermined RNG system in this game. I know what you will say next "oh look this idiot is complaining about this perfectly flawless system that has no issues at all, idiot don't you know it's to prevent cheating" but if that is the point of that RNG system, then it is doing a bad job as you can still easily cheat in Unbound and remove the fun from the people that play legitimately at the same time. I don't think anything shows how bad this system is as the Safari Zone quest you would probably want to complete if you are a completionist like I am, since the Safari Zone game is pre determined from the start, you will always struggle to catch that Alolan Meowth no matter what unless you reset and replay the safari game again, (you HAVE to get a score of 25/30 in order to complete the quest) and it normally wouldn't be a problem if save states worked, but they don't and so you have to cry then quit game then go back into the game for a new chance, (have I mentioned I did this 100 times and they all failed before I caught 10) I would do many things but I wish not do the exact same thing this many times and realizing that this could have been avoided if they didn't program this RNG system because I am not a masochist and I want to have fun. Fine, I'll take struggling with capturing legendary pokemon, fine I'll take dumb crits or misses, fine I'll take difficult battles that I struggle with for an hour but I absolutely cannot take that damn Safari Zone game anymore because it always fills my boxes with worthless pokemon while being unable to complete that nearly impossible quest. SUMMARY: dumb RNG system, tries to prevent cheating but cheating still happens while removing fun from normal people, 25/30 Safari Zone quest needs some reworking because I don't want to spend ten hours to finish one single quest that involves a high score. Take this opinion what you will, I don't care what you say, I still think this system works really poorly with this quest. (I already spent over 120 hours on this game so I clearly like this game but not that quest)

Years
  • I love this story and the amount of things you can do in this game, but I have a bit of a problem with the predetermined RNG system in this game. I know what you will say next "oh look this idiot is complaining about this perfectly flawless system that has no issues at all, idiot don't you know it's to prevent cheating" but if that is the point of that RNG system, then it is doing a bad job as you can still easily cheat in Unbound and remove the fun from the people that play legitimately at the same time. I don't think anything shows how bad this system is as the Safari Zone quest you would probably want to complete if you are a completionist like I am, since the Safari Zone game is pre determined from the start, you will always struggle to catch that Alolan Meowth no matter what unless you reset and replay the safari game again, (you HAVE to get a score of 25/30 in order to complete the quest) and it normally wouldn't be a problem if save states worked, but they don't and so you have to cry then quit game then go back into the game for a new chance, (have I mentioned I did this 100 times and they all failed before I caught 10) I would do many things but I wish not do the exact same thing this many times and realizing that this could have been avoided if they didn't program this RNG system because I am not a masochist and I want to have fun. Fine, I'll take struggling with capturing legendary pokemon, fine I'll take dumb crits or misses, fine I'll take difficult battles that I struggle with for an hour but I absolutely cannot take that damn Safari Zone game anymore because it always fills my boxes with worthless pokemon while being unable to complete that nearly impossible quest. SUMMARY: dumb RNG system, tries to prevent cheating but cheating still happens while removing fun from normal people, 25/30 Safari Zone quest needs some reworking because I don't want to spend ten hours to finish one single quest that involves a high score. Take this opinion what you will, I don't care what you say, I still think this system works really poorly with this quest. (I already spent over 120 hours on this game so I clearly like this game but not that quest)

Have you tried buying the berries from Seaport City? There is a marketplace next to the Breeding School there; and in the marketplace you will find one of the ladies that sells "some exotic berries". You need to use these berries in the Safari Zone if you want to catch high number of mons in one go. Try buying 99 each of Razz and Bluk Berries and try again. Use at least 2-3 Razz Berries for each mon, then toss Safari Ball to catch it. That way you can get at least 26-27 catches, that's for sure.

CursedAnqxl

Years
  • Have you tried buying the berries from Seaport City? There is a marketplace next to the Breeding School there; and in the marketplace you will find one of the ladies that sells "some exotic berries". You need to use these berries in the Safari Zone if you want to catch high number of mons in one go. Try buying 99 each of Razz and Bluk Berries and try again. Use at least 2-3 Razz Berries for each mon, then toss Safari Ball to catch it. That way you can get at least 26-27 catches, that's for sure.

I thank you for your kind response, I fully went into this expecting people to hate on me for even mentioning that system. I will try that now and see if the situation gets any better.

CursedAnqxl

Years
  • The problem has been solved, no need for anybody else to respond to me, Zygarde-Crowned has helped me with the idea of berries which for some reason I had not thought of. (although to be fair the berries in the normal Safari Zones in the main series Pokemon games and other rom hacks and fan games are kind of useless as you have generally the highest probability of catching something if you just threw the safari ball)

Back