• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon: Why haven't they added more color swaps or shiny varations?

Empoleon671

不要
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Jul 19, 2023
    It feels like we're at a point where they'd be able to do more than just one alternate color scheme for Pokémon. I'm not saying we need 20 alternate shinies for Pokémon, but it would be nice. maybe 2-3 per Pokémon.

Pokémon: Why haven't they added more color swaps or shiny varations?

it would probably be the biggest new thing i feel like alot of people would ask for. Also this color varation already exists in some official manner ^ (Pokken).

anyways, what are some shinies you'd like to see?

stringzzz

Banned
    Years
    Would have really liked to see a better shiny for Ceruledge, the fact that just some tiny thing around its eye changed in its shiny form was a rip-off.

In general though, I do like this idea of having alternate shiny forms. It really doesn't seem difficult for the developers to change some colors in the model, and it can't possibly take up that much storage space to have a few alternate models for them. Although if this meant at least one alternate for each Pokemon in the game, the storage space required might be a little weighty.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    It would be nice if various Shiny colors existed for the same Pokémon. In fact, a lot of Pokémon could use an update, as too many look similar to their regular color or have an ugly green or pink color.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Agrees on it being nice. Does not seem too difficult. Might require a long, bureaucratic process of approvals, though.

Would prioritize Pokemon with very minor shiny differences first. Refers to Pokemon like Charcadet, Squirtle, Glaceon, Gothita, Avalugg, and so on. Picks Pokemon with really ugly colors next, such as Espeon and Ursaring.

I'd love variants, shinies are cool as a concept but not all of them look good and they're easier to get nowadays, so I don't mind having a few different color variations. Especially for those poor shinies that just don't look good (or look too close to the original) that they refuse to update, lol. One of these days I'll get my autumn leaf colored Leafeon.. even if it's just in my dreams. :D

Days
    • Seen Jun 22, 2023
    Adding more shinies is only going to make it harder to shiny hunt. I don't think that the shiny hunters will like that very much LOL

Years
    I wouldn't mind having an alternate shiny for every Pokemon. any more than that would become excessive imo
    It could help all those Pokemon with really similar shinies, provided the new alternate one is actually distinct.

It would mean having to overhaul all Pokemon in the game and given them an additional model though, which has to look good in the overworld too.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Many of the existing shinies are already very uninspired or unpopular and it's not hard to find people who prefer the original colors. A third color palette for every Pokémon would be probably difficult, and it would also make the huge chore that shiny hunting already is even worse.

Empoleon671

不要
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Jul 19, 2023
    Shinies were made in an era where limited cartridge space limitations existed (ergo gen 2) .... where having an alternate color scheme actually took away from resources.... we don't have to be limited to the same constraint in this day and age.

It would mean having to overhaul all Pokemon in the game and given them an additional model though, which has to look good in the overworld too.
    i feel like programming another color swap doesn't necessarily need a whole new model though. it's as simple as changing the color code that's being rendered, (i.e from cx003 -> cx005 )

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 8, 2024
    Likely the same reason they removed a majority of the dex. They have a very short deadline so don't have time to design realistic landscape or program 1,000 Pokemon or make new shinies

Days
    • Seen Nov 7, 2023
    I think if they ever did decide to do that, it'd be the perfect use for Square Shinies.
    They all shouldn't get three, though. For over 1k pokemon, three just seems exessive.

Back