• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ruby hack: PoKéMoN Yellow Lightning (W.I.P.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blase005

PKMN Yellow Lightning Creator
Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2013
    PoKéMoN Yellow Lightning (W.I.P.) (RUBY HACK)

Yes I know it says Emerald hack but I changed it into a Ruby hack as you can see in the title.

Yet another Pokémon Yellow Remake but this one is Diffirent! I used Ruby as a base because It is my next favourite 3rd gen game and I actually like it more than FRLG.

The story is the normal Pokémon Yellow story but with some inputs from the movies and you will also be able to visit Johto.

The changes are these:

New Pikachu Front Sprites
    FRLG styled Ash and Gary (they are in Anime style but with FRLG colors)
    Maps that are made to look as much like the Pokémon Yellow maps (every maps are the same size as in Pokémon yellow including indoors)
    Able to play as Gary
    4th and 5th gen Legendaries optainable through events (after final release)
    Egg optained at the Day Care
    A new PokéGear rip-off named Pokémon Caller (Pokécall) Design at screenshots.
    All Legendaries capturable
    Johto
    Orange Islands
    Cities from Pokémon 1-5
    Events made up from Pokémon 1-8
    A new unknown Rival (identity will be revealed in next screenshots)
    and that's about it for now.

Here are the screenshots I got so far:

PoKéMoN Yellow Lightning (W.I.P.)

PokéCall

This is all I got so far. Still working on the game but I can tell you when betas get released:

Beta 1: When you optain the 2nd badge
    Beta 2: When title screen is finished and you can visit Celadon City
    Beta 3: When you can surf to Cinnabar Island (Gym and Pokémon Mansion closed)
    Beta 4: When the Mewtwo event occours (more details will arrive on that later)
    Beta 5: When Johto is half finished
    Final Release: When everything is finished.

As you may see you won't be having Pikachu walk behind you until the Final Release. That is because I'm quite new on scripting and I haven't got used to it yet.

However it would be nice if people would want to help me with some stuff (they aren't that many). Here is what people could help me with

Scripting (till I figure it out myself)

Spriting (I'm quite good at it myself but if people got some sprites for me then that would be great)

Ideas (Like stuff that should occour)

Beta Tester

That is pretty much it. If I want to know how to add custom Pokémon I'll just look up a tutorial.

PS: I know Ruby isn't the really great ROM to use for these kind of hacks since most stuff doesn't exist in the editors but I still want to hack it.

SUPPORT:

ASH

GARY

BLAZE

To use these just simply remove the spaces between "
    "

UPDATE: I got some new screenshots ready now:

1: Nidoking FRLG styled since I hated the RSE style.
    2: The Luxury Ball is completely gone so Pikachu has a Pokeball for himself.
    3: The unknown trainer is my Fan Character Blaze.

I know this wasn't much but it was just some small updates. Next time I will show a trailer and Viridian City.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    If this is a full on hack, do you think this might be better suited to Progressing Hacks?

blase005

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2013
    If this is a full on hack, do you think this might be better suited to Progressing Hacks?

Didn't I put it in Progressing Hacks? Wonder what went wrong :/

But yeah it belongs in Progressing Hacks... just wonder how I'm gonna fix that now.

Lifes-A-Beach

Skilled Trainer
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    Didn't I put it in Progressing Hacks? Wonder what went wrong :/

But yeah it belongs in Progressing Hacks... just wonder how I'm gonna fix that now.

Simply PM/VM this forum's moderators giradialkia or colcolstyles to move your thread to the appropriate section.

I look forward to playing this hack in the future. Good Luck with the whole Process!

blase005

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2013
    Another Yellow remake?
    I don't mind it because this looks cool, I just hope you'll finish it =)

Ofcourse I'll finish it :D But since im working on 2 games at the same time it may not arrive so soon. The other game is a fan game of Pokemon that I might make a thread of here aswell sometime. But for now I'm focusing on this hack. I just need someone that accepts to help me with scripts...

ChillinInYoCloset

PacmanAteMe
    Years
  • YES! You added being able to be Gary. I've always wanted to play as him, but are you changing the story any if you choose Gary? I know that would be really hard to do but it would be different, being able to live the life of the rival to the fullest.

Kroso

Sleeping soundly
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Dec 22, 2016
    Well this is new,and by that I mean completely unique,anyway even though the mapping needs some work,but other then that it looks OK so far,may I wish you the best luck on the hack.

blase005

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2013
    YES! You added being able to be Gary. I've always wanted to play as him, but are you changing the story any if you choose Gary? I know that would be really hard to do but it would be different, being able to live the life of the rival to the fullest.

Will be hard indeed but I'll see what I can do when I get fond with Scripting.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    This looks good.
    The being Gary thing looks good. But I don't think you should make an entire story just for him. Just keep it the same as Ash. Because In R/S/E May/Brendan have different journeys but which ever you pick the stories match. And gary's adventure is not that off from Ash's.
    And what will Wally be replaced by? (this could be a good chance to add in a Fan character ... or a character we dont know much of their time in the Kanto period like Silver).

Either way i wish the best of luck :3 This is one Yellow remake where your making an effort not just using fire red and not having to put effort in map and scripts Dx

EDIT: Also ... on graphic terms if ash and gary are in FR/LG style ALL the others should too. It makes it look better instead of ramming every style into the game. :3
    EDIT 2: Also where is that place in the final screenshot ?! Dx

Last edited:

blase005

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2013
    This looks good.
    The being Gary thing looks good. But I don't think you should make an entire story just for him. Just keep it the same as Ash. Because In R/S/E May/Brendan have different journeys but which ever you pick the stories match. And gary's adventure is not that off from Ash's.
    And what will Wally be replaced by? (this could be a good chance to add in a Fan character ... or a character we dont know much of their time in the Kanto period like Silver).

Either way i wish the best of luck :3 This is one Yellow remake where your making an effort not just using fire red and not having to put effort in map and scripts Dx

EDIT: Also ... on graphic terms if ash and gary are in FR/LG style ALL the others should too. It makes it look better instead of ramming every style into the game. :3
    EDIT 2: Also where is that place in the final screenshot ?! Dx

Wally is replaced by that unknown trainer you see on the purple banner. I dont want to spoil anything but many people probably figured this out allready but his starter pokemon is a Nidoran (M).

The graphics are gonna be Emerald tileset (to make it Pokemon Yellow size) and FRLG sprites.

The final screenshot shows Cinnabar Island! :D However that Pokemartcenter thingy will be removed since it messes up the other Pokemon centers. :(

marcc5m

what
    Years
  • A yellow remake...I have no idea how this will turn out, because the only major thing that really differentiated R/B from Yellow was Pikachu following the Trainer...and since you're not Colcolstyles or another ASM God, you won't be having that in your hack. :\
    The story is the normal Pokémon Yellow story but with some inputs from the movies and you will also be able to visit Johto.
    In other words...It's FireRed on Ruby, but with Johto in it, and the movie events.
    New Pikachu Front Sprites
    Not exactly new if they're taken from another game. And that is one lazy Pikachu revamp. It's a recolour and...well that's about it. It's the Yellow sprite but with new colours. :\
    FRLG styled Ash and Gary (they are in Anime style but with FRLG colors)
    So then they're just Red and Green with a slightly different look.
    Maps that are made to look as much like the Pokémon Yellow maps (every maps are the same size as in Pokémon yellow including indoors)
    Good that you're changing the indoor maps, everyone always ignores the indoors.
    Able to play as Gary
    *Green.

Ok...Let's just hope those "events" aren't just walking over and battling them.

Fascinating.
    A new PokéGear rip-off named Pokémon Caller (Pokécall) Design at screenshots.
    You changed four letters in Advance Text. Is that it?

'k. No comment there.

You said that.
    Orange Islands
    Liquid Crystal's gonna sue.
    Cities from Pokémon 1-5
    How many regions do you plan on having?
    Events made up from Pokémon 1-8
    Idek what this means.
    A new unknown Rival (identity will be revealed in next screenshots)
    Seen that about a thousand times.

Now onto the screenshots. You seem to be using FR/LG style overworlds along with R/S/E styled overowlrds...no. Both are completely different styles. You have one or the other. Your mapping seems pretty...bad. Stop using those kinds of trees. They just don't look good like that. Use the bigger trees instead. And long grass as the border is just stupid. As for the Town which I am going to assume is Viridian City...it is horrible. You have used the Pokemon Centre, Mart and the big building incorrectly, and everything looks so squashed together. Also, how does anyone read that sign when it is facing that house? Lastly...that Green backsprite is just lazy. I mean come on, anybody can tell that's Steven with his hair dyed blond. Good luck.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    A yellow remake...I have no idea how this will turn out, because the only major thing that really differentiated R/B from Yellow was Pikachu following the Trainer...and since you're not Colcolstyles or another ASM God, you won't be having that in your hack. :\

In other words...It's FireRed on Ruby, but with Johto in it, and the movie events.

Not exactly new if they're taken from another game. And that is one lazy Pikachu revamp. It's a recolour and...well that's about it. It's the Yellow sprite but with new colours. :\

So then they're just Red and Green with a slightly different look.

Good that you're changing the indoor maps, everyone always ignores the indoors.

*Green.

Ok...Let's just hope those "events" aren't just walking over and battling them.

Fascinating.

You changed four letters in Advance Text. Is that it?

'k. No comment there.

You said that.

Liquid Crystal's gonna sue.

How many regions do you plan on having?

Idek what this means.

Seen that about a thousand times.

Now onto the screenshots. You seem to be using FR/LG style overworlds along with R/S/E styled overowlrds...no. Both are completely different styles. You have one or the other. Your mapping seems pretty...bad. Stop using those kinds of trees. They just don't look good like that. Use the bigger trees instead. And long grass as the border is just stupid. As for the Town which I am going to assume is Viridian City...it is horrible. You have used the Pokemon Centre, Mart and the big building incorrectly, and everything looks so squashed together. Also, how does anyone read that sign when it is facing that house? Lastly...that Green backsprite is just lazy. I mean come on, anybody can tell that's Steven with his hair dyed blond. Good luck.

Woah!
    Calm down ;)
    The guy did say he wants to capture the original maps. Which means the mapping skill will be quite ... small.
    and as for the Pokécall it beats people re-using the PokéNav and Pokégear.
    And this guys hack is only just begun.
    So the back sprite will look like steven and it wont look like most hacks D:

Alomar

Follow me on Twitter @Daubs
    Years
  • IMO either make an ash and gary hoenn styled OW (you could easily use the FR hero thats in emerald and edit it up, to go with the tiles you are using, or put in all FR style tiles.. the two don't mix.

blase005

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2013
    IMO either make an ash and gary hoenn styled OW (you could easily use the FR hero thats in emerald and edit it up, to go with the tiles you are using, or put in all FR style tiles.. the two don't mix.

I don't like the Emerald Red sprites because they are... pink. I also allready decided to use the FRLG Red and Gary sprites because they look much better. I might make them a bit more Emerald style so they look like they fit.

Alomar

Years
  • I don't like the Emerald Red sprites because they are... pink. I also allready decided to use the FRLG Red and Gary sprites because they look much better. I might make them a bit more Emerald style so they look like they fit.

Its fine to use the FR style, but add in the FR style tiles also then, you'll have a better end result trust me. I'm currently doing it also on my Emerald hack and it's a pain but the finished effect will be much better. and for the "pink" in the OW colors you can edit the palette (lol)

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    Those updates look ... okay.
    I don't see the need of nidoranM using surf it's only gonna cause problems and difficulties towards the player. And the fact you edited zigzagoon to be nidoran seemed pointless again since it's already there in the game.

Keep it up though

blase005

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2013
    Its fine to use the FR style, but add in the FR style tiles also then, you'll have a better end result trust me. I'm currently doing it also on my Emerald hack and it's a pain but the finished effect will be much better. and for the "pink" in the OW colors you can edit the palette (lol)

I'll see what I think is best. Either make the FRLG sprites more RSE styled or add the FRLG tileset over Emerald. But at the moment my main objective is to finish when Pikachu comes out in battle since hes in a Luxury Ball that I made invisible and I only have 2 things left to do on it. After that I'm gonna finish Route 1 and work on Viridian City. But before I release any Beta or gameplay I'm going to find out why my scripts always screw up when I save them. Then I'm going to fix so Blaze's Nidoran doesn't use Surf, Headbutt, Tail Whip or Sand Attack. But before I do ALL that... I'm going to get some sleep... Since it's past midnight where I live and I got School tomorrow I will go to bed now. But Tomorrow You might get to see some more screenshots.

Those updates look ... okay.
    I don't see the need of nidoranM using surf it's only gonna cause problems and difficulties towards the player. And the fact you edited zigzagoon to be nidoran seemed pointless again since it's already there in the game.

Keep it up though

Well the reason I edited Zigzagoon was because I was looking for a trainer I hadn't fought and I found this kid named Ricky. I edited his first Battle so you fought Blaze and he had Nidoran. But what I didn't know what that the moves didn't get overwrited. So when I edit him over Wally like I'm suppose to I might screw up again and make Nidoran have Ralts' moves. But I will have to think of that tomorrow.

Last edited:

Alomar

Years
  • Well the reason I edited Zigzagoon was because I was looking for a trainer I hadn't fought and I found this kid named Ricky. I edited his first Battle so you fought Blaze and he had Nidoran. But what I didn't know what that the moves didn't get overwrited. So when I edit him over Wally like I'm suppose to I might screw up again and make Nidoran have Ralts' moves. But I will have to think of that tomorrow.

It seems to me that you might be using the program PET, which is utter trash for editting trainers. I suggest using A-Trainer, it has all the options to set the default attacks a trainers pokemon at any given level would actually have, or you can set them yourself etc. if you are using A-Trainer, you probably needed a trainer repoint to a new offset and thats why the moves didn't update.

Ettadara

Fanfiction Writer
    Years
  • I'd be willing to help with Beta testing, if you want. I've currently got lots of time on my hands - graduated from school, and I have no job.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back