• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: Pokénchi reveals new Lycanroc form for Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
    Eh, kinda underwhelming; looks like a recoloring to be honest. Let's hope, stat-wise, it doesn't end up being worse than the other two forms. Give us more news though! lol, the game is out in 3 months and this is all we know.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    It looks fine for me. I seen a lot of salt on other forums though. People expected more from it and more news. We see what happens in the upcoming weeks.

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    ...hm...I'm super iffy on this form. I get what they're trying to do, but I really really don't like it and this is coming from the person who likes Pokemon like Garbador. I'm usually the person to defend Gamefreak when it comes to some weird design choices, but I'm not excusing this one. It literally looks like they took the mane of Lycanroc-Midnight, stuck it on the Lycanroc-Day Version and then just made it tan with a spray can. I get they wanted a mix, but the execution could've been soooooo much better. I'm pretty disappointed that's all we got considering we basically know NOTHING of these games yet, but I'm doing my best to keep my hopes up though.

...On the brigther side of things, wasn't there some data in the datamine for SM next to Lycanroc? I wonder if the other Pokemon will get forms too? Is the theme for this game fusions? If so, then the Mascots make more sense if they're combined with Necrozma. I'm curious to find out. I just hope they're a little better than... this.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
    I feel like the colour scheme would suit a Dawn Form rather than Dusk Form tbh - since when you think of Dawn you think of darkness turning into light and vice versa for dusk - would feel a purpley colour scheme would work better with Dusk. But regardless, I like the design and the colour scheme, and like everyone else I'm hoping there's bigger USUM news to come in the coming months for sure.

Reactions: Nah

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
    ...hm...I'm super iffy on this form. I get what they're trying to do, but I really really don't like it and this is coming from the person who likes Pokemon like Garbador. I'm usually the person to defend Gamefreak when it comes to some weird design choices, but I'm not excusing this one. It literally looks like they took the mane of Lycanroc-Midnight, stuck it on the Lycanroc-Day Version and then just made it tan with a spray can. I get they wanted a mix, but the execution could've been soooooo much better. I'm pretty disappointed that's all we got considering we basically know NOTHING of these games yet, but I'm doing my best to keep my hopes up though.

...On the brigther side of things, wasn't there some data in the datamine for SM next to Lycanroc? I wonder if the other Pokemon will get forms too? Is the theme for this game fusions? If so, then the Mascots make more sense if they're combined with Necrozma. I'm curious to find out. I just hope they're a little better than... this.

I believe originally Lycanroc was coded with three forms. Sun and Moon only had Midday and Midnight. Mimikyu was also coded with another form.

Years
    I have to admit, it doesn't look as bad as I thought. Surprised that people don't seem to like its design, but I am still hyped to see that Ash will be promoting Dusk Form in the anime.

My likely guess is that you have to evolve Rockruff when the sky is that orange tint, since that seems to be what dusk is in the games.

Years
    Problem is that you can't see that orange tint at all times so it's easy to miss, especially with the fact that the games are set 12 hours apart. I think it'll be a hold item.

When you think about how Midday and Midnight Forms evolve, it probably won't involve a special item. In the showcase of Ash's Rockruff becoming Dusk Form Lycanroc in the anime, we did not see any items because Ash did evolve his Gligar by giving it a Razor Fang. His other Pokemon all seem to evolve naturally.

MKC

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2023
    I could like the new form, I like the concept and I think the design is alright, and it honestly looks amazing in the anime.

But... the 3D model is just... no... Its just a retextured Midday Lycanroc with extra spikes, they didn't even give it it's own model... For a supposed new form, one that's gonna be heavily promoted because of the anime too, that should not be a thing.

How come Pyroar's different genders get unique models yet this supposedly brand new form is just an edit of an existing model? That's so disappointing... It makes this new form completely void of personality.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
    While I really like its design, I kinda understand other people's complaints... but at the same time it thematically makes sense; dusk is in between night and day, so I can see why there's traits of both Midday and Midnight form in it. From that perspective, I think the design is cool. And the orange fur with the green eyes reminds me of Simba even though Lycanroc is a dog, so that's another reason I like it.

However, the complaints that I don't understand is about the amount of news that we got. You guys... Masuda outright stated in the Direct that USUM are an alternate story set in the SM universe. Not a sequel, not a typical 3rd version, it's totally different. I don't know about you, but I don't think they want to give too much away. The vast majority of the news we got last year with SM was all new Pokemon and Alola forms. Unless they've created more forms for existing Pokemon, there's not too many things that they can reveal without totally spoiling everything.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Online now
    I was hoping for a quadrupedal Lycanroc capable of standing on its hind legs - a halfway point between the existing forms, basically. Dusk Lycanroc just strikes me as a lazy Midday recolour with a bit of Midnight's fur and red eyes. It could benefit from having more of Midnight's design on its body for a more even split.

Overall, it could be so much better with a few design tweaks, but clearly GF opted for the sloppy route imo. Give it the best stats, movepool or ability among the three and maybe Dusk won't seem as disappointing.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Yeah. It scream tropical and Hawaii. I am so happy for it lol! Probably more than I should be.

It DEFINITELY matches its name as Dusk.

To me its colors scream sunset which really goes well with it being the Dusk form :).

If there is a Dawn form I can see it being indigo, or purple with yellow eyes as the sunrise has hints of purple and blue it it :).

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
    I could like the new form, I like the concept and I think the design is alright, and it honestly looks amazing in the anime.

But... the 3D model is just... no... Its just a retextured Midday Lycanroc with extra spikes, they didn't even give it it's own model... For a supposed new form, one that's gonna be heavily promoted because of the anime too, that should not be a thing.

How come Pyroar's different genders get unique models yet this supposedly brand new form is just an edit of an existing model? That's so disappointing... It makes this new form completely void of personality.

Yeah, those are my thoughts as well. It doesn't really stand out enough as its own form. They could've done more to give it a bit more identity.

Years
    Spoiler:

I noticed something Verlisify pointed out in this video of his. Since Midday and Midnight forms were shown in the scene of Ash's Rockruff evolving, maybe this could mean you might need both those forms in the party to evolve it?

We've seen evolution methods before where you needed something specific in the party, like Mantyke requiring a Remoraid and Pancham requiring a Dark-type.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    This is my likely guess as well, since Midday and Midnight forms were both pure Rock. Dusk could potentially get a different ability from the other two though.

Same. Likely just a different stat spread and a slightly different movepool. Wonder if it'll get sandstorm. Rockruff's line is the only rock line that can't learn the move.

pkmin3033

Looks like an awkward fusion between Midday and Midnight, using the former as the base, exactly as I thought it did when it was blurry. That orange is pretty disgusting, honestly...I'm a little disappointed that it's not more unique, really.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    Problem is that you can't see that orange tint at all times so it's easy to miss, especially with the fact that the games are set 12 hours apart. I think it'll be a hold item, especially when I see this:

But this is a new game, they could decide to make the day <-> night changes more prominent.

looks ok, but just that. it's literally the colour of dusk, so im not sure what people were quite really expecting. /shrug

this is exactly why I'm not a huuuge fan =/ no different face, spikes are the same, etc.

@colors: we could have had a different fur or spike pattern, different tail shape, maybe something that was slightly two-legged but also relied on its front paws to run around (think how chimps act like humans when they're sitting, but run using all 4 legs). idk. i can think of a lot more.

Years
    Same. Likely just a different stat spread and a slightly different movepool. Wonder if it'll get sandstorm. Rockruff's line is the only rock line that can't learn the move.

It is actually surprising how the Rockruff line couldn't learn Sandstorm, which makes me wonder if that issue will get fixed in US/UM, like how the Klink line was made able to learn Wild Charge in B2/W2 to give it an Electric attack that worked better with its physical-oriented stats.

Midday and Midnight forms shared the same BST, but with some stats arranged differently. Notably Midday having more Speed and Midnight having more HP.

Back