• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen PokéRadar Chaining woes

The Feves

Pikamon Pokéchu
Years
  • Ok so I'm pretty bad at this method of attaining shinies, as it turns out.

It seems like this is a semi-productive way of coming across shinies more easily. I'm finding myself more frustrated by this method every time I try it. It seems impossible for me to achieve a chain larger than 5.

Successful Radar-chainers: What do you find to be the most successful method in maintaining your chain?

I've read up on the basics - the grass tussles 4 blocks away best maintain the chain, avoid roller skating in between, etc.

Do you stock up on repels before trying to chain? Are there specific routes and locations that are easier to retain the chain? How far did you make it before you came across a shiny?

And for everyone else who struggles as much as I do, what is the longest Radar chain that you've managed to achieve?

Years
  • PokéRadar chaining makes me want to cry. When you're on your 12th something chain of Swirlix, Everything seemingly going well when all of a sudden that horrid Illumse suddenly pops up without warning, taunting you.
    'BZZ-BZ-BZZzzzZZZ!'
    I then proceed to hate that pokémon more than ever.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Successful Radar-chainers: What do you find to be the most successful method in maintaining your chain?

• Watch Youtube guides or watch someone else chain, or practice on your own a lot. Stock up on Super/Max Repels, at least 50. Save in an area. When you're practicing, be aggressive and use the time to learn. How far can you walk away without the chain fading away? How many mistakes can you make? What do the different grass patches mean?
    • Pay attention to the grass's rustle (the visual, shaking animation and the sound effect they collectively make).
    • Shake effect: It takes some practice to recognize, but the bouncier/rougher patches will most likely continue your chain. They're practically bouncing out of their tile, lol. They can be found in the 3rd ring or farther from your Character (see image below). You must avoid the faintly shaking grass patch at all costs. These decoys can spawn close to you or far away, even off-screen, scarily enough. Stay alert and be careful where you are stepping.
    • Sound effect: If you hear a deeper grass rustle, then there should be one grass patch somewhere that should continue your chain. If you hear a lighter rustle, all 5 grass patches were a no-go for me.
    • Once you're done with getting a feel for things, soft reset and get back your Repels.
    8682214.png

Do you stock up on repels before trying to chain? Are there specific routes and locations that are easier to retain the chain? How far did you make it before you came across a shiny?

• Stocking up: If you want to get more for your money, buy Super Repel. If you want fewer distractions, buy Max Repel. I picked this later and got about 100.
    • Easy routes: Route 5 with Skiddo, Pancham, and Furfrou has a nice field to practice in. They're not bad shinies, either. Pokemon Village with Ditto and Zoroark has a big area to play in. There is a secret spot called Azure Bay on Route 12 that has a nice patch of grass.
    • Success story: I found a shiny Skiddo at approximately #36. It has two perfect stats. I continued my chain and caught some normal Skiddo along the way that had three perfect stats. My chain broke at 79 because I entered a grass patch on the edge.

I'm no pro in XY, but I did manage to get a chain of 126 in Pearl, though. Hope it helps.

The Feves

Pikamon Pokéchu
    Years
  • Thank you for the great breakdown of this method, Lilith!

Cleared up a lot of confusion and issues I was having!

I haven't had a chance to work on my Radar-chaining skills yet, still trying to breed this danged Emolga for a shiny, but I'll be trying the chain shortly after!

§1

Rocket grunt
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2022
    effects like static and magnetic pull come in handy if you're chaining electric or steel types. (saves you a lot if you mess up)

managed to chain a shiny pikachu for my sister =)

...granted, i got the shiny on pokemon number 4 in a chain.
    managed to get about dozen chains to about 35-39 though.

that 40 pokemon chain still eludes me =/

I'm no pro in XY, but I did manage to get a chain of 126 in Pearl, though. Hope it helps.

it's a little different in this gen.
    the screen is at an angle, and it makes noticing which patches are which harder; and there's a 5th (decoy) patch that has no pokemon.

Last edited:

DearBigfoot

Mareep everywhere!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2014
    I used to be pro at chaining in DPP. I'm not sure where my skills went but I can't seem to get my chains up past 20 without them breaking - following ALL the rules and avoiding the danger tussocks. One of these days I'm going to just go on a volbeat killing rampage.

Crescend

Breeder
    Years
  • Here's a guide I found useful:
    http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/60943/t1916563-how-to-chain-with-pok-radar/

I got up to 110+ ditto chain following those tips, so they must've been correct... :P With that said, Pokemon Village is particularly easy place for chaining. I think the most useful tip in there is to always go for the tiles on the outer rim, but not the bushes that are exactly 4 squares away from you, in any direction (horizontal, vertical or diagonal). That could account for those cases where a chain ended abruptly at 30+ for no apparent reason.

Also edges are very bad. Never go into a shaking patch next to an open field.

LuminescentUmbreon

Eeveelution Trainer
    Years
  • I got up to 28 chaining for Absol, but then I walked into a stupid patch of grass that I didn't even see move. But I have successfully caught a Shiny Zororark, my first ever shiny, so I think it's very worth all the trouble it can bring.

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
  • if only they allowed pokeradar to work in the friend safari... that would of been epic... or at least had more patches of grass in the game which aren't misshaped, have rocks, obstacles, or holes in them :\

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2014
    It took me 4 days of trying to chain a Trevenant in the Winding Woods before that sparkly patch appeared. I can only advise you to keep going and not to give up and become a serial killer. It's really frustrating when you get to chain #42 and a Noctowl appears. But it worked for me once and it will work for you too if you just have a lot of patience...

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2014
    I caught a Shiny Roselia thanks to the PokeRadar.

But it is very very very important to be patient, and the #1 tip I can give to anyone trying to chain: Do not step in a patch of grass if you aren't sure that it contains your Pokémon.

It may sound useless, but believe me, after following those words, I caught my Roselia.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Dunno if it's a helpful tip or just a superstition, but Redditor TruthAlone shared:

I've been trying to chain for shinies a lot recently, and I've discovered it's a lot easier to acquire higher chains when you K.O. the Pokemon you're chaining with a super effective move.

I've compiled a list of results from chaining with 0.5x, 1x and 2x effective moves below.

EDIT: All results conducted in Route 22.

0.5x effective:
    7 streak
    6 streak
    8 streak
    11 streak
    8 streak
    8 streak
    7 streak

1x effective:
    15 streak
    13 streak
    15 streak
    15 streak
    19 streak
    13 streak

2x effective:
    37 streak
    35 streak
    32 streak
    40 streak (successful Shiny capture: Plusle)
    37 streak
    40 streak (successful Shiny capture: Skiddo)
    40 streak (successful Shiny capture: Bunnelby)
    36 streak (Trying to catch a Shiny Pancham. I've honestly tried to get Pancham 50 times and haven't succeeded)

Tell me what you think :)

EDIT: Just captured a Bunnelby using only super effective moves throughout the entire chain. Woohoo!

EDIT 2: Currently on a 16-streak to catch a Shiny Pikachu. I'm purposely making mistakes this time, and I still haven't broke my chain. It seems using super effective moves severely decreases the chances of breaking the chain. (Maybe one-hit K.O.s decrease the chances even more) The chain broke this time.

EDIT 3: For people that don't know much about chaining, the main thing you'll need to know is how the grass looks when it shakes. It's pretty difficult to see, as it only shakes for about a second, and if you don't have very good photographic memory, it's very hard to remember where each patch is located. If you're going to chain, I'd recommend doing it in a large purple flower patch in Route 22, since you'll have a load of room, and the wider the patch the better. With purple grass, there are 4 types of grass shakes. 1, lightly shaking grass. It's pretty difficult to spot, and you could run into it by accident, which will display a "Huh, there doesn't seem to be any Pokemon here" message, ending your chain instantly. Make sure you don't run directly upwards unless you know that grass type isn't there, because your character's head tends to block your vision from the grass patch above you. 2, moderately shaking grass. This grass looks like the shaking grass in Black 2 and White 2. It's almost identical. It shakes from left to right a few times, and is quite hard to tell the difference from grass type number 1. I wouldn't advise using it to chain. Ever. 3, really shaky grass. This grass goes completely nuts and the top part of the grass is a lot taller, thus making it easy to distinguish from the other types. 4, violent shaky grass. This grass is the grass everyone uses to chain. With flowers, it's easier to spot when they are below you because the stem of the flower shakes, too, that's the main way of telling, so when it's above you, it's pretty risky to jump into since it might be grass type 3. I hope all of this makes any sense. If it's just confusing you, ignore it.

Lucky1Yena

Just some guy
    Years
  • I think my radar is busted. Following all the guidelines, I still end up breaking the chain before even reaching 10.

And when that doesn't happen, the Pokémon I want the shiny form of doesn't appear in the area that has an area of grass large enough.

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2014
    Well i had the same problem while i was chaining my Skiddo. Of course i have done it but few days later. Dont think its that easy you can just go and catch your wanted shiny. YOU.GOTTA.EARN.IT. and mind its gonna be low IVs most of the time. You catch it just for collection, like Vivilions.

The solution for me was going ONLY and ONLY in same type of grass shakes far from me. Like 4 or so i think this metod work because from far away (4 squares from you) you can accurately say if it is type of grass you need or dont, dont think so any other mechanic works here, but i might be wrong. As i said, you gotta earn it the hard way. Dont give up, you will get it. Just be patient and keep on learning and looking. If you are like 90% its the one you're looking for. RESET YOUR RADAR. One chain of 40 took me like 30-40 minutes, dont rush.

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
  • I tried and failed at chaining for the longest time before I realized you could reset your radar and reuse it without breaking the chain. I also never realized you shouldn't step on the outside edges of grass patches.

Now that I've figured those things out, I'm still bad at it, but slightly less bad than before. :P

Back