• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokéWalker or PokéDriver?

How do you play Pokémon Go?

• Driving is for losers, I walk!

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Walking is for losers, I drive!

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Both/other.

Votes: 14 43.8%

• Total voters
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I picked both. I tend play more while walking because it's more convenient. I can just walk around my workplace and catch Pokemon, or take a walk around the neighborhood to see what there is. But I've driven to PokeSpots, since there's only one within walking distance from my house, while there's quite a few around my workplace, which I drive to.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
    I picked both, because it really depends on what I'm out doing.

If I'm dedicating some time to actually play, chances are I'll have to drive myself to a more urban area or a park - then I'll walk around to hatch eggs, catch pokémon, and hit up pokéstops, However, if it's a chill night and I don't feel like doing all that, I've been known to just ride around in the car with some friends or my fiancé and just resource gather at all the stops. I only ever tried to play once in the car while I was driving myself, and quickly realized you can't do that safely...

So while I drive around to get more poké balls and such, I only have the game open when I'm safely parked somewhere near the stop itself.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    Definitely a Poke'walker here. I'm a relatively high energy person with a good endurance, and i hate driving in general. So even before GO, I walk everywhere, sometimes I ride my long board, sometimes I ride my bike. GO has just added a game to my normal activities, so now my walking not only my normal transportation and main intake of exercise, but it has now become my gaming time as well, which is really freaking awesome. Walking is a daily part of my life, and GO is great for just walking, so it just naturally fits in to my daily routine.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I've been playing whilst being driven around on trips out recently and I can definitely say it's a fun way to play. It's exciting having to react so quickly to what's appearing and trying to pick the best targets for what to catch and prioritise, and PokéStops become very very easy to spam. I've only had a few 15 minute car trips to/from restaurants etc to experiment with but I have enjoyed them a fair bit - I may start asking for lifts around the village just for this!

PacmanEternal

PacmanEternal
    Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2016
    Both... walking gives excellent results when hatching eggs but kinda limits exposure to a certain number and type of pokemon that can be covered. Driving brings a quicker selection and variety of pokemon. Both has advantages so i rock both. Luckily my dog doesnt mind either so we make the most of either situation lol

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2022
    I do both... (?) I drive to a location and park, then I get out and walk around for a few hours. After a catching spree I drive to various pokestops to restock my pokeballs so I'll be able to go on another catching sooner. Some times when I'm feeling lazy I drive to a spot that has 3+ pokestops in the same place and just sit there for hours.

Diarkia124

The Jack Master
    Years
    It depends. There are some times I just drive from PokeStop to PokeStop if I have spare time before me and a few friends go out and take on a few gyms. I usually walk since they tend to be better at recording egg distances, but I've recently found a path where I can pass 6 stops and gain 1/3 km per lap

Shuhbooty

space and time
    Years
    I tried the driving thing with my sisters. it didn't work out for me, I almost always missed pokemon or they fled back to back. The pokestops were even worse if you never timed them and I just over all had a bad time. (I tried this twice, I just didn't like it).

So I walk! If i gotta get drive/dropped off at the parks or local areas with pokestops I do that though! And just walk around. :) Walking makes me feel better.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I tried driving around with a friend two days ago and blimey did it feel like cheating. My PokéStop spamming went from ~10/hour to ~100/hour giving me such a ridiculous amount of balls and eggs and caught a fair few more Pokémon as I would have on foot. I was honestly expecting there to be a load more Pokémon around whilst driving so that was a little disappointing but I definitely wouldn't have caught that many just walking around my village. Thinking I'll start trying to organise a car trip once a week or so to stock up on Pokéballs because blimey that'll save a lot of PokéCoins!

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 4, 2024
    One time on my way to work, there was a pokestop overhead on a sign at an overpass. We were going 70 on the interstate. I got the pokestop...

Because you have to hit the stop right when your ring touches it and not before, but you have to swipe before out of range. Depending on how fast we were going I probably had 2 seconds to hit it and swipe and somehow....

Usually Pokémon will disappear after a couple seconds going that speed after the update. Before the update Pokémon didn't despawn and they'd be so far back they'd be floating in the sky and you could still click them.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2016
    I've walked (or run) 310km according to the game, I usually go for a late night run to hit gyms and pokestops, not got a car yet but when I do I can travel to the local cities easier

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2017
    Both ... I have a three mile route that I can slowly drive by 40+ Poke Stops in 15 min depending on traffic. Once I'm stocked up, its time to get out and walk.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
    I walked around everywhere even before the app came out, so this changes nothing for me.
    There are something like a dozen Pokéstops between my house and my workplace (a 45-minute walk) .

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
    From where I live... I have to drive 15 minutes to go to an area with some Pokemon and Pokestop. But I walk in my street and there are some pokemon too, but no pokestop.
    I found a vulpix near my house yesterday... and no Pokeballs -_-

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
    With the nearest small group of PokéStops about 3 km from my house, walking is a big no for me, so I almost always go by bike. It's pretty relaxed and if you don't cycle too hard your distance is even counted for your eggs. Besides, I cycle in the main games most of the time as well, so why shouldn't I? :D

Back