• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pok?-Mapping! 101 and How-To

Years
    Yes, I realize that mapping tutorials have been posted before, but I would like to share my secrets. I will go into greater detail that what anyone else does.

OK! Here we go!
    Lesson 1: Starting Town
    Now, quite obviously, the starting town is the town you start in. It should not be a large town, or a city. That is not Pok?-Map style!

STEP 1: Create a new map with only grass. Make sure that it is at least 28x24
    and at most 35x35. Randomize the grass, it creates more appeal. The map I am making is 28x24.

STEP 2: Add the trees. Make sure there are lots of them around the edges, and, to add variety, mix up the order the trees go into once or twice. Aslo, make a little walking room since you will be adding a couple of NPCs.

Step 3: Build the buildings of your starting town. No less than 3, no more than 5. One of those should be a laboratory. Since the map we are making is only 28x24, we will only have 3 buildings. Both your house and your opponent's should be the same. If not, oh well. Just make sure the lab isn't split down the middle by the space between the two houses.

Sep 4: Add details. These includes signs, flower arangements, paths, and rails. Make sure that you have at least 1, and no more than 2, flower arangements in your starting town. You should also have a large sign in front of the Professor's lab. It indicates his importance. Instead of putting signs in front of your house and your opponent's, put mailboxes.They are better.

Optional: Add water. If you do add a body of water, add an outlet to a route. Do not make a stagnant pond. They do not go well with starting towns.

See? Now you have made your first map! Coming soon: Lesson 2: Grass Routes & Forests

Years
    Lesson 2: The Starting Route
    Now we are going to start on the starting route. This connects your hometown to the first actual town. Are ya' ready? Heeeere we go! : Plays "All I Want" by The Offspring :
    Step 1: As usual, create a map of all grass. Make the map about the same dimensions as the starting town (In case you forgot, 28x24 - 35x35) Also, make the trees so it looks ike they are continuing from the previous map. (Keep this in mind. I won't mention it again.)

Step 2: You should already know what step 2 is: Adding trees! Make sure to make the inside area large enough for 3-5 sprites. Also, add a small area of trees in the center. (Fences are fine too. Just don't make inaccessable areas)

Step 3: Now add the grass. Make sure to make large clumps of it. Throw in a spot or 2 that the trainer must walk through.

Step 4: Make the ledges. There has be at least 2, and at most 4.

Step 5: Add the finishing touches. Throw in a flower plant here and there and wild flower tiles too. Don't forget the Trainer Tips sign. this is essential.

Voila! Your second map is done! Great job!

Next on the list: Lesson 3: Small Towns and Villages!

Silon

Amber for Ever!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2016
    Where the ledges end, you should make them more smooth. It looks un-natural for them to just cut off.

Back