• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pok?mon of the Day - Dratini (163/???) [being remade]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkmin3033

I've never used Archeops, although I did pick the Plume Fossil, just because I think it's design is one of the better ones of Gen V, my least favourite gen thus far. It's not my favourite fossil Pokemon, but it's pretty high up there, and it has a unique and appealing design. Although its colour scheme is atrocious.

If I was to give Archeops an ability that would actually make it useable, or just not quite so terrible... given its preference for running over flying, something like Speed Boost or Tangled Feet would work; the latter especially since it's predominantly an ability of flying-type Pokemon, so it'd make sense for Archeops to have it, being the possible progenitor of flying-types. Although giving it Speed Boost when it has base 110 speed might be overkill. Huge Power would be terrifying considering its movepool and the fact that its max attack is 416. I don't know a huge amount about competitive battling these days, but I'm guessing that'd make it a pretty impressive sweeper.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
When given the choice, did you choose the Plume Fossil?

No; I chose the Cover Fossil. I think it was a good choice.

What ability would you give Archeops to make it a more useful Pokemon?

Speed Boost. Because.

Which bird Pokemon do you think is most likely to be the modern counterpart of Archeops?

For some reason, I always thought Braviary could be its counterpart. I mean just look at them!
567.gif
628.gif

That flying style.

blue

gucci
Years
Wurmple is interesting; I certainly prefer the evolutionary line of Wurmple to both Caterpie and Weedle.

• If you used Wurmple in the games, did it evolve into the Pokemon you wanted? If it didn't, did you make the most of what you got, or catch another (or its evolved form) and use that instead?
I remember catching Wurmple and wanting a Beautifly only for it to evolve into a Cascoon which later evolved into a Dustox. At the time I was much younger and hadn't quite grasped the concept behind the evolution of Wurmple, so it took me some time before I was able to have myself a Beautifly. :x

Next up is Archeops...

I really like the design of Archeops, quite possibly my second favourite of the fossil Pokemon behind Kabutops.

• When given the choice, did you choose the Plume Fossil?
Yes, the Plume Fossil was my initial choice after knowing what Pokemon both fossils turned into.

• What ability would you give Archeops to make it a more useful Pokemon?
Sturdy. I can just imagine this would be so useful for Arcehops, it already has incredible base stats.

Last edited:

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
Didn't recall using Archeops, but I liked the design.

• When given the choice, did you choose the Plume Fossil?
    Definitely.
  • What ability would you give Archeops to make it a more useful Pokemon?
    Probably Sturdy.
  • Which bird Pokemon do you think is most likely to be the modern counterpart of Archeops?
    Like the above posters say, Braviary.

Years
If it weren't for Defeatist, Archeops might very well be my favorite out of all the fossil Pokemon. It's got a cool design, a pretty solid move pool, and stats that are even better than some mega evolved Pokemon. That said, any time I get the opportunity to pick between Tirtouga and Archeops, I've always gone with the latter.

As for a replacement ability, pretty much anything that doesn't hinder it like Defeatist is an automatic upgrade. I'd be perfectly fine with something like Inner Focus or Rock Head, though Sturdy would be a good one as well.

pkmin3033

479 - ROTOM

7PlCDFz.png

"Its body is composed of plasma. It is known to infiltrate electronic devices and wreak havoc."

Our sixth Pokemon of the Day is Rotom! A mischievous Electric/Ghost Pokemon introduced in Gen IV, Rotom is best known for its ability to possess various household appliances and take on different characteristics to match them, including new moves and, from Gen V onwards, an alternate type in place of its default Ghost. Due to their unique typing and movepool, Rotom's forms have become popular in competitive battling. It also has the distinction of being the only non-Legendary Pokemon to use the Legendary Battle music when it is encountered in the Old Chateau. Rotom appeared briefly in the anime, in which it was captured by Professor Oak after having some fun with Ash and friends and showcasing its various different forms.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Rotom! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• If given the chance to design a new form for Rotom, which electrical appliance would you base it on? What would its typing and special move be?
  • Which of Rotom's forms is your favourite, and why?
  • Did you think Rotom was a Legendary when it was first released? Did it deserve to be a Legendary Pokemon in your opinion?

blue

gucci
Years
I like the concept behind Rotom, the ability to change into different appliences is awesome since it allows you to switch up between various different types.

• Which of Rotom's forms is your favourite, and why?
Rotom-Wash. I just love the design and it is a popular choice in competitive battling.
  • Did you think Rotom was a Legendary when it was first released? Did it deserve to be a Legendary Pokemon in your opinion?
Not really. I don't class it as a legendary, but I don't class it as a normal Pokemon either. I guess it could be classed as an event Pokemon, similarly to Manaphy and Phione.

pkmin3033

Honestly, I think Rotom is more Legendary-esque than the likes of Phione or Heatran or Keldeo, and it's a shame it didn't get there...I mean, it has multiple forms, and there is only one available in game. Plus it's pretty useful in battle, too. I used one for my first Platinum run and I found it a lot more useful than Shinx...perhaps not quite as cute, but still appealing.

As for a new Rotom form...I want Nintendo to have a jab at themselves and make an Electric/Poison Wii U Rotom with Selfdestruct as its signature move. Or a pure Electric 3DS Rotom with Pay Day.

Adam Levine

Years
Did you think Rotom was a Legendary when it was first released? Did it deserve to be a Legendary Pokemon in your opinion?

I almost did. Rotom is basically one of those gimmicks in Gen IV that they felt like implementing. Also, it obviously doesn't deserve a legendary status AT ALL. First of all, a freaking plasma ball that possesses machines isn't "legendary", and its stats are too poor in general.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
If given the chance to design a new form for Rotom, which electrical appliance would you base it on? What would its typing and special move be?
I don't know what appliance to pick, maybe a lightbulb, but I would definitely want a dark type Rotom. I think that would be fantastic.

Which of Rotom's forms is your favorite, and why?
I like just plain-old Rotom.

Did you think Rotom was a Legendary when it was first released? Did it deserve to be a Legendary Pokemon in your opinion?
I thought it was, until I figured out how simple it was to catch and it's breedable. I don't think it should be a legendary.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
I think I used a Rotom in regular play. It was surprisingly good, though I might not really use it again in some time tho XD.

I don't have a favourite amongst it's forms, since I have only used the normal one.

pkmin3033

181 - AMPHAROS

eBZo1iL.png

Our seventh Pokemon of the Day is Ampharos! The fully evolved form of Mareep, Ampharos' most prominent role in the anime and second generation titles is as an ill Lighthouse Keeper named Amphy (or "Sparkle" in the English dub for some reason) under the care of Gym Leader Jasmine, who promptly sends the player on a fetch quest to receive medicine for it. It has appeared several times since then, but in minor roles only. It received a Mega Evolution in Gen VI, which added to it the Dragon-type and the Mold Breaker ability...as well as a stylish tail and long, flowing mane of hair/wool.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Ampharos! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• What do you think Ampharos would look like if it was covered in wool like Mareep? Do you think this would suit it, since it's an evolved sheep?
  • What is your opinion of Mega Ampharos? Is there anything you would change – stats, design, typing, etc. - to make it more appealing?

Early again out of necessity. I'll try and standardise the update times in the near future.

Adam Levine

Years
What is your opinion of Mega Ampharos? Is there anything you would change – stats, design, typing, etc. - to make it more appealing?

Mega Ampharos is great. It has a shocking (geddit?) Special Attack, but there's not really anything it has to boost it, plus (which is one of its abilities) it has a terrible speed stat (and sadly doesn't get Dragon Dance or something like that). What's even worse is that it's part Dragon now, so it has to deal with not one, but four weaknesses. I would change its movepool so it can be more "draconic", but it would be crazy for a freaking sheep to learn Dragon Tail, right?

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
Ampharos is probably my fave electric mon and one of my faves in general. On my first HG run I tried using it and it was surprisingly useful.

I also think it's mega is interesting, I normally don't like megas that are just a slight change in the normal mon, but I guess for this case its so silly its good XD.

As for if Ampharos had wool... No. I don't want to imagine that.

pkmin3033

Honestly, of all the Mega Evolutions, I think Ampharos is probably one of the worst...I mean, it's just Ampharos with a mane and tail...and how a sheep can suddenly turn into a dragon is anyone's guess. I'm probably missing something with that choice, but it's one of my least favourite Mega evolutions...although Ampharos itself was a team staple for me all throughout the second gen and their remakes; Mareep was awesome and carried me through a lot of irritating battles, serving as my electric-type of the gen.

I also LOVE the shiny sprite <3

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 5, 2023
I LOVE Mega Ampharos and don't actually think it looks silly unlike a majority of people. To me, its hair is majestic and beautiful and its tail... is filled with red jewels, which appeals to me so much. In fact, I've always loved Ampharos in the past but have disliked the fact that it was so bald in comparison to its previous evolutions. This makes it fit much better.

Also, I don't really mind its Dragon-typing or the fact that it being a dragon sheep isn't really the most coherent or sensical thing. I like it because it's unique and creative! How many people expected that, or thought of it? Outside of Japan, I can't imagine many. (That's due to its Japanese name containing "ryu," which means "dragon") It appeals to me on that unorthodox monster design level.

And the only thing I'd really change is giving it more Dragon moves. I do think Dragon Tail would be nice. Maybe Dragonbreath, Dragon Dance, and Draco Meteor.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
What do you think Ampharos would look like if it was covered in wool like Mareep? Do you think this would suit it, since it's an evolved sheep?
I don't know. Maybe on it's back or on its neck, but certainly not covered in it. I think it's fine just the way it is. The hair comes into play when you mega-evolve it, and that's the key to enjoying Ampharos.

What is your opinion of Mega Ampharos? Is there anything you would change – stats, design, typing, etc. - to make it more appealing?
It's beautiful. When you look up beauty in the dictionary, it just has a picture of Mega Ampharos.

pkmin3033

613 - CUBCHOO

kh1QOFs.png

"Their snot is a barometer of health. When healthy, their snot is sticky and the power of their ice moves increases."

A small and painfully cute polar bear cub introduced in the fifth generation, Cubchoo lives with a perpetual runny nose, which it actually uses to fuel its ice-type attacks. Charming. Whilst it is found all year round on Twist Mountain, it will also show up on Route 7 during Winter, being one of the few Pokemon to take advantage of Black and White's seasons mechanic. Much like Teddiursa, Cubchoo have generally been portrayed as young and inexperienced in the anime, helpless without their much bigger and far more intimidating evolutionary form Beartic to watch out for them.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Cubchoo! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Cubchoo vs. Teddiursa – which is the cutest, and which would you expect to win in a battle?
  • What would you expect the impact radius of an impromptu sneeze from a Cubchoo to be?
  • Given that Cubchoo has a perpetually runny nose – generally considered a sign of poor health in humans – what would you imagine an unhealthy Cubchoo would suffer from?

Nas160

Sometimes here...!
Years
Yay, a new daily thread I'm sure to enjoy :)

I'm not gonna go over all of the ones so far (am I allowed to do all that? I'd post it all in a spoiler {:3} ), but I just love Rotom so I'll do it just this once {XD}

Rotom
LLtwkHQ.png

When I first found this thread, I'd recently just changed my avatar to Rotom (after hearing the Rotom story in Chuggaaconroy's current Platinum playthrough), so I was surprised to see this ^_^ Rotom is one of my absolute favorite Pokémon. I vividly remember having a dream involving finding Rotom in the Old Chateau, a little after Platinum came out iirc. Ever since then, I've held Rotom very close to me, spiritually.

I caught him in Platinum and brought him up all the way to Gen 6 ^^ I certainly remember thinking that it was a legendary back then. To this day, I personally still consider it one, arguably. And, to be honest? It may be because I don't remember using his other forms in the games, but I think I just prefer good ol' vanilla Rotom. I think it's adorable, while the other ones, except Fan, aren't so much. If I'd make a new form for him, it'd be based off a radio, and the special move would be Boomburst (I have a feeling this isn't very original).

Ampharos
aDNJMsc.png

Boy, did my opinion of Amphy change in the last few months :P Prior to getting Super Mystery Dungeon in November, I didn't have much of an opinion on it or the rest of its line, but I fell in love with the adorkable, silly Ampharos in that game the instant he appeared, and since then, Ampharos has become one of my absolute favorites. :)

181Ampharos_PSMD.png

Amphy has an absolutely adorable and awesome design, he's got a decent movepool, ability, and (besides Speed) stats, possession of one of the few +3 stage stat changes in the entire game, and on top of that, a gorgeous Mega with a nifty type addition and stat boost. I just love Ampharos <3

lemUX18.png

(source)​

Not too long after I gained a liking for Amphy, I came to the point of my first Y playthrough where you could catch Mareep, and of course I caught one with the intent of keeping him a prominent part of my journey, which I've been doing since :) I named him Doandry ("Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep"), he's currently level 54 with Thunderbolt/Dragon Pulse/Cotton Guard/Thunder Wave, and I've Mega Evolved him quite a bit ^_^ I've used him quite a lot, and I plan to make him a part of my E4 team as well :) He does have Careful nature (decreases Sp. Attack), but I don't mind, he's still very useful in my battles, and I still love him <3

As for what I think could be improved about Amhparos? He is kind of sluggish for an Electric type, and even moreso in Mega form...if anything, he could be given a speed boost, or an ability that makes him faster...I kind of dislike what they chose for Mega Amphy's ability (Mold Breaker), so at least that should be changed. Maybe something like Quick Feet? I'd also love for him to have a lot more Dragon moves to take advantage of the extra typing in his Mega.

In the end, Amphy has simply become one of my favorite Pokémon, and one that will always stay close to my heart <3

Cubchoo
m2w5f0C.png

Hmm...not much for me to say on this one, but I think he's darn adorable, as well as Pancham and Teddiursa. Who's cutest? I'm honestly not sure... ~_~ But, they're all cute together in their own way, we can all agree on that :P

CYtqboE.png

Last edited:

Adam Levine

Years
Cubchoo vs. Teddiursa – which is the cutest, and which would you expect to win in a battle?

Cubchoo, in my opinion, Cubchoo is cuter. THE RUNNY NOSE, MAN. Also, I guess Cubchoo would win? Their types are terrible defensively so I don't know.

Given that Cubchoo has a perpetually runny nose – generally considered a sign of poor health in humans – what would you imagine an unhealthy Cubchoo would suffer from?

Obviously no runny nose at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back